Channing Matthew Tatum (born April 26, 1980) is an American actor, film producer, dancer, and model born in Cullman, Alabama.
Originally growing to prominence with the dance film Step Up, he's since made a name for himself in movies of all genres: Romance (Dear John, The Vow), Comedy (21 Jump Street series, She's the Man, Logan Lucky), Action (G.I. Joe series, The Eagle (2011), White House Down, Jupiter Ascending), and Drama (Side Effects, Foxcatcher). The Magic Mike series —inspired by his time as an exotic dancer— probably brought his career full circle.
He is set to star as Remy LeBeau/Gambit in the X-Men Film Series in a spin-off on the character, with the film having a tentative 2019 release date after years of being locked in Development Hell and repeatedly taken on and off Fox's release schedule.
- CSI: Miami (2004) as Bob Davenport
- Coach Carter (2005) as Jason Lyle
- War of the Worlds (2005) as boy in church
- She's the Man (2006) as Duke Orsino
- A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006) as Antonio
- Step Up series (2006 — 2008) as Tyler Gage
- Step Up (2006)
- Step Up; The Streets (2008)
- Stop-Loss (2008) as Sgt Steve Shriver
- Public Enemies (2009) as Pretty Boy Floyd
- G.I. Joe series (2009 — 2013) as Duke / Conrad Hauser:
- Dear John (2010) as John Tyree
- The Eagle (2011) as Marcus Flavius Aquila
- The Vow (2012) as Leo Collins
- Jump Street series (2012 — present) as Greg Jenko:
- Magic Mike (2012) as Michael "Magic Mike" Lane
- Magic Mike XXL (2015)
- Side Effects (2013) as Martin Taylor
- This Is the End (2013) as himself
- White House Down (2013) as John Cale
- The LEGO Movie (2014) as the voice of Superman
- The Book of Life (2014) as the voice of Joaquin
- Foxcatcher (2014) as Mark Schultz
- Jupiter Ascending (2015) as Caine
- Hail, Caesar! (2016) as Burt
- Logan Lucky (2017) as Jimmy Logan
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017) as Tequila
- Smallfoot (2018) as Migo.
He provides examples of:
- The Cast Show Off: Attending military school was able to make him be comfortable in doing action films. His dancing is remarkable, as can be seen in movies like Magic Mike and Step Up.
- Dull Surprise: A common complaint of his early works is that he doesn't show a lot of emotions. His later productions where he moved away from his typecast role as a meathead have averted this, as he's come into his own as an actor, leading to critical acclaim in works such as Foxcatcher.
- He Really Can Act: He was typecasted as the male lead of romance films while appearing in the occasional action flick. 21 Jump Street, his first true comedy role, broke that trend and improved many critics' perception on him. Furthermore, Foxcatcher established that he could also be effective in dramatic roles.
- Mr. Fanservice: Tends to do Shirtless Scenes. Considering that he used to be a male stripper, this isn't surprising.
- Person as Verb: He participated in a parodic song on Jimmy Kimmel Live! called "Channing All Over Your Tatum". He noted how weird it was to be repeating his own name dozens of times.
- Those Two Actors: With Jonah Hill, with whom he appears with in 21 Jump Street and its sequels, This Is the End, and Hail, Caesar!. They also both have roles that speak to each other in The LEGO Movie and its sequels.