open/close all folders
Ikuto is the seventeen-year-old (later eighteen-year-old) male protagonist of the series and an aspiring fashion designer.
- Character Development: Ikuto starts out as a meek pushover whose insecurities prevent him from pursuing his dreams, but gradually Grew a Spine to be more confident and determined to become a fashion designer.
- Fashion Designer: Designing clothes is what he does.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: His fashion hobbies aside, Ikuto is gentle, polite, friendly and non-confrontational. As a child, his younger sister's friends thinks he's a sissy for indulging in feminine interests like sewing, and even those who recognize his talents frequently say that he lacks the drive and ambition to truly succeed.
- Instant Expert: He's a very talented patterner and could deduce the pattern of a dress based on a single look at the design.
- Nice Guy: He's unfailingly polite and helpful to those around him, which is one of the reasons why a lot of people dismiss him at first, believing that he's not assertive enough to make it big in the fashion industry.
- Outnumbered Sibling: Ikuto is the only guy in his family of 5, consisting of himself, his mother, and his three younger sisters.
- Rank Up: After applying for an intern job at "Aphro I dite", Ikuto quickly distinguishes himself, rapidly climbing the ranks of the company and is eventually promoted to chief designer of the "Aphro I dite novice" branch.
Chiyuki is the seventeen-year-old female protagonist of the series and a model for her father's company "Mille Neige". She dreams to one day become a model in the Paris runway.
- Berserk Button: Bringing up her height is an easy way to hit a nerve with her.
- Betty and Veronica: She is the glamorous and confident contender (Veronica) for Ikuto's affections, contrasting Kokoro's more gentle and Nice Girl approach.
- Daddy's Girl: She is very close to her father, who owns the modeling agency she works in. Their shared dreams to make it big in the fashion industry is the foundation of their strong relationship.
- Determinator: No matter how many times she's been rejected due to her height, Chiyuki never gives up becoming a model, and constantly travels to look for modeling opportunities to further her career.
- Height Angst: She's 5' 2" and many consider her too short to be a successful model. She doesn't like it when people bring that up.
- Meaningful Name: Chiyuki's name is spelled as 千雪 in kanji. The first character meaning "thousand" and the second one meaning "snow". Which is also what "Mille Neige" means in French, "thousand snow". Shows how highly her father thinks of her.
Kokoro is a young aspiring, hard-working fashion designer, first-year student at the Geika Institute of Fashion, and part-time model at "Bon Rouge".
- Betty and Veronica: She's the sweet and friendly suitor (Betty) towards Ikuto, and stands against the glamorous and confident Chiyuki.
- Height Angst: Kokoro's height makes her stand out, and being a Shrinking Violet who loathes excessive attention, she is extremely self-conscious about the fact.
- Shrinking Violet: She's meek, shy, submissive, and lacks confidence.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's a talented model who stands at 5'11". Her height is considered one of her best assets as a model.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple hair.
Toh is the 22-year-old adoptive child of the famous designer Mai Ayano, and is considered the best students in Geika Institute of Fashion.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Toh is very perceptive, and can easily deduce someone's size by just a single touch, and the state of the clothes they are in (for example, he can immediately tell that the vest Ikuto is wearing was actually his sister's because it's been worn by a woman). Later, when he arrives to help out in Hazime's studio, he can immediately assess the possible pitfalls in the entire production schematics and how to mitigate them.
- Beauty Mark: Has a mole at the corner of his lips.
- Bishōnen: Toh has a lot of fangirls in his campus, likely due to his looks.
- Bishie Sparkle: Toh is almost always surrounded by sparkles to highlight both his good looks and prestige.
- Parental Abandonment: He was abandoned by his birth parents and lived in the slums of Paris until Mai Ayano adopted him.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Toh's bangs covers his left eye. This gives him a rather mysterious air, which is fitting to his ambiguous motivations.
- The Rival: As one of the best students in Geika Institute, Ikuto considers him someone he must surpass.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: Toh wants to surpass his grandmother's record of getting the most business deals from the Geika Institute Fashion Show in order to win her approval to go independent. However, Mai reveals that she never gave him any conditions to go independent, and this is something Toh set up for himself.
Yanagida is a talented up-and-coming designer of his eponymous brand that caters to women. He's a former Mille Neige designer who becomes Ikuto's mentor and first employer.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's arrogant, rude, abrasive, uncommunicative of his intentions, and extremely harsh and critical towards his subordinates when they fail to realize his vision. On the other hand, he cares for his customers, and tries his best to not only meet, but also exceed their demands and expectations. He also understands his colleagues' strengths and weaknesses well, and is willing to entrust them with difficult tasks if he knows they are capable of it.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Hazime/Hajime.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Hazime is afraid of needles, which is why he never sews his own designs, wears thick gloves when handling with marking pins, and gets particularly riled up when Kokoro accidentally leaves a marking pin in one of his dresses. Apparently he was traumatized from getting his finger sewed when he used a sewing machine for the first time.
The Tsumura Family
Yuriko is the kind and loving mother of Ikuto, Honoka, Aoi, and Ichika.
- Good Parents: Yuriko wants the best for their children and is very supportive of their dreams. Even when she is in hospital, she would try to give up her savings for her childrens' education so that they would have better opportunities to do better for themselves.
- Ill Girl: Her tendency to overwork herself leads her to be hospitalized many times.
- Struggling Single Mother: She's the sole provider for her family since her husband died. With four kids, she is forced to work several jobs to make ends meet, but even then, it's not enough to help pay for all their expenses, so that Ikuto has to work part-time jobs to help out in that regard.
- The Pollyanna: Yuriko is almost never seen crying, and always maintain a cheerful front before her children, even when she is sick in the hospital.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Despite the hardships she endures, Yuriko remains positive for her children's sake and maintains a playful sense of humor.
- Widow Woman: Her husband died shortly after her youngest daughter was born, forcing her to raise all four children by herself.
Honoka is the oldest daughter and second oldest child of the Tsumura family overall.
- Cute Bookworm: She's a cute, shy girl who spends most of her time studying. Her behaviour around her brother is reminiscent of a typical Tsundere.
- Hime Cut: Honoka has long black hair that reaches her back, level bangs and sidelocks, which highlights her quiet, studious and graceful nature.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: She's described as "the smart one" of Ikuto's sisters, and is the only one of them to wear glasses.
Aoi is the second oldest sister of Ikuto and the third child of the Tsumura family. She is sporty and plays volleyball.
- The Ace: She's an elite volleyball player at her school.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Aoi sports her hair in an untidy ponitail, which is fitting to her tomboyish, sport-loving personality.
- Tomboyish Name: Aoi is a unisex name, and she is pretty much the most masculine member of the Tsumura family.
Voiced by: Hikaru Akao (Japanese), Jad Saxton
Ichika is the five-year-old sister of Ikuto and the youngest child of the Tsumura family.
- The Cutie: Ichika is five years old and very innocent. Ikuto describes her as "cute".
- Girlish Pigtails: She's easily the most feminine among her family, with her love of ribbons and cute dresses, and her twin tails certainly emphasize her girly child-likeness.
Fujito is the founder and president of the modeling agency and up-and-coming brand "Mille Neige", which is affiliated with the talent agency Emmy Production, and Chiyuki's father.
- Anti-Nepotism: He has great faith in Chiyuki's talent as a model, but he never shows her any favoritism and even fired her once for throwing tantrums after she stopped growing taller.
- Doting Parent: Although Kenji doesn't give preferential treatment to his daughter while she works in his agency, it's clear that he thinks the world of her. He named his agency after Chiyuki after allnote , and he almost drove his company into bankruptcy when, during a Paris fashion event, he proudly claims that his daughter is a better model than the granddaughter of the CEO of the world's top fashion magazine and an influential figure in the fashion world. The flashback chapter that depicts the latter events is even titled "Doting Parent".
Shizuku is a model for "Mille Neige" and is famous for being the first model from the company to take part in the prestigious Paris Fashion Week show.
- Childhood Friend: She and Chiyuki have been friends ever since she started working in Mille Neige, which is when Chiyuki was about 10 years old.
- Cool Big Sis: Not literally, however having known Chiyuki since she was young, Shizuku is Chiyuki's role model, friend, and mentor, and she loves her like a little sister.
- Tough Love: Shizuku is very blunt and realistic about Chiyuki's chances to become a top model, but tries her best advise her as Chiyuki strives for her dreams.
Geika Institute of Fashion Design
Kaoru is a second-year student at Geika Institute of Fashion who specializes in women's fashion and a big fan of Yanagida.
- Alliterative Name: Kaoru Kizaki.
- Fangirl: She's a big fan of Hazime, and the reason why she is so antagonistic towards Ikuto was because she felt that he ruined Hazime's first fashion show when Ikuto modified one of Hazime's dresses to fit Chiyuki. Mai Ayano notes that the design collection she presented in the Geika Institute fashion show is strongly influenced by Hazime's style.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While Kaoru is openly antagonistic towards Ikuto, she is also the only one who didn't mock him for not having enough money to pay for the entrance fee. Later, when she gets to judge his preliminary round entry, she is the only one offers any positive to his submission.
Ryūnosuke is a second-year student at Geika Institute of Fashion who specializes in men's fashion and a childhood friend of Kaoru.
Takaoka is the Headmaster of the Geika Institute of Fashion and takes great pride in her school.
- Big Fun: Headmaster Takaoka is a plump and carefree woman who is prone to making outlandish suggestions without realizing the weight of her words. She is very welcoming, informal and friendly with her students and colleagues, often referring to them with their first names.
Aphro I dite
Mai is Toh's adoptive guardian, official known as his "grandmother", and the CEO of the widely popular brand "Aphro I dite". She is highly regarded as Japan's top fashion designers.
- Honest Corporate Executive: Despite her fame and influence in the fashion industry, Mai is very friendly and accommodating to her subordinates, and is willing to acknowledge the merits and skills of other designers.
The head designer of Aphro I dite's novice branch that caters to youth. She is the daughter of the company's main sponsor and only has the job thanks to her father, who used to teach Hazime.
- Hidden Depths: Despite appearing as a lazy Spoiled Brat who only has a job in the company thanks to her dad's connections, we later learn that Mii actually has a genuine interest in fashion, especially shoe-making. However, it is implied that her failures in her previous endeavors has destroyed her confidence, and this is why she passes most of her work to the ace designer of the company instead of doing anything for herself.
- Manchild: Mii is very laidback in her work, and prefers to hang out and have fun rather than manage her department properly. Her behaviour is more reminiscent to the 5-year-old Ichika's rather than any of the other adult characters, despite being older than most of the main characters.
- The Social Expert: While Mii's design capability is mediocore, to say the least, she's very good at building networks with others. She also has a good marketing sense when she comes up with a catchy product name and hashtag to get the bags Ikuto had designed to become a trending topic on social media.
- Stepford Smiler: Mii always acts carefree and cheerful in front of others, even when she's obviously crushed by her previous two failures (she attempted to start her own shoe brand at first, but drove her company to bankruptcy due to poor management. When she got a job in Aphro I dite, her first collection was a disaster that led to the worst financial loss the company ever had).
Seira is Japan's most famous model and an TV celebrity who is responsible for starting up Ikuto's path as an designer and reigniting Chiyuki's modeling career after taking a picture of Chiyuki wearing Ikuto's dress on her social media.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Seira is a popular model who appears sweet and down-to-earth in interviews. But when she becomes a judge in the Geika Academy's Fashion Festival, she voted for Kokoro to be the winner so that she would quit being a model, thus removing her as Seira's potential rival.
- Mixed Ancestry: Implied. Her father is said to hail from Switzerland. Her mother's ancestry is unknown, but the fact that Seira is known as Japan's top model indicates that she is a Japanese.
- Small Role, Big Impact: While she's a minor character with only a handful of appearances, she's responsible for driving the manga's plot when she re-tweeted a picture of Chiyuki wearing one of Ikuto's hand-made dresses, and causing his design to go viral.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Seira/Sara.
Igarashi is Kokoro's manager and an agent of the modeling agency "Bon Rouge".
- The Cynic: Her failure as a model causes Igarashi to become rather cynical and believe that natural talent triumphs over passion and hard work. She forces Kokoro to become a model despite her latter's dislike of being in the spotlight because she believes Kokoro's talent as a model far outweighs her ability to become a fashion designer.
- Stern Teacher: She can be rather strict with Kokoro to achieve her goal in making Kokoro successful.
Niimura is an editor for premier fashion magazine "MODE JAPAN", having recently transferred to the department from the literature department.
- Height Angst: She doesn't like the fact that she's short, because she can rarely look nice in fashionable clothes. She is very supportive of Chiyuki's endavour to become a model because she understands her struggles.
- Idiot Hair: Has one stray hair that points up.
- Shrinking Violet: She's very timid and shy.