This section details the characters featured in Chaos Code, as well as the New Sign of Catastrophe update.
Hikaru Otagi/MG Hikaru
Voiced by: Shimon Fujiki
The hero of Chaos Code. Hikaru Otagi is a sub lieutenant of the Earth-Union, a worldwide governmental organization that quickly rose to power shortly after the discovery of Chaotics. While Hikaru's personal origins are unknown, his motivations stem from the subtantial poverty amongst the population under the Earth-Union's rule, and he has made it his lifelong goal to help those in need. Realizing his resolve and hoping to take advantage of it, the Earth-Union task Hikaru with tracking down and apprehending Kagari, and to locate and retrieve the Chaos Code.
In his spare time, Hikaru is an avid otaku and figure collector. His alternate self, MG Hikaru, came about after a long wait in line for a brand new limited edition figure left Hikaru... Only slightly delirious.
- Admiring the Abomination: Hikaru's special match intro with Cthylla has him geeking out hard over the magical girl Eldritch Abomination.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Surprisingly subverted. Hikaru is no slouch in combat, but he's only a sub lieutenant. He gets promoted in his non-canon B-ending, but that's only because of a job well done, not because of his actual combat prowess.
- The Hero: The main protagonist of the series.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Blue Sphere Break. Slightly subverted in that it comes from his feet of all places.
- Leitmotif: Rumble.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Kagari's blue.
- Shotoclone: He has the makings of a true shoto, but he's more focused on rushdown than space control.
Tropes pertaining to MG Hikaru:
- Diving Kick: Electrical Phoenix Thunderstrike Kick.
- Lethal Joke Character: In terms of actual story, he's just Hikaru with the otaku bits ramped up. In actual gameplay, he's a rushdown powerhouse compared to regular Hikaru's more neutral-focused gameplan.
Voiced by: Rekka Katakiri
An assassin working for Kurenai, a terrorist organization dedicated to rebelling against the Earth-Union. Kagari holds nothing but resentment for the Earth-Union after a large-scale war that they were involved with killed her parents and separated her from her brother. Now a war-orphan, Kagari was found and adopted by the leader of the organization, who raised her as if she was her own child.
After being rescued, Kagari swore an oath of loyalty to Kurenai, and now hunts down the Chaos Code in order to finally bring about the Earth-Union's downfall, unbeknownst of Kurenai's true intentions for her.
- Counter-Attack: Kawarimi - Oboro
- Grand Theft Me: If her B-ending is anything to go by, the leader of the Kurenai wishes to take Kagari's body for her own. And if Next was of any consideration, she would've succeeded.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Shuriken - Senkou
- Leitmotif: Dark Journey (Chaos Code) and Asahi (NEXT).
- Power Armor: She fights with a purple futuristic armor that inexplicably comes off during her Destruction Chaos.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Hikaru's red.
- The Rival: To Hikaru, who was ordered to apprehend her. Him being a member of the Earth-Union probably hasn't won him any points in Kagari's eyes either.
- Shoryuken: Genjin
- Spinning Piledriver: Ouji - Rasin
- Three-Strike Combo: Kasumi Nagi
Voiced by: Fumihiro Okabayashi
A renowned treasure hunter and a skilled marksman. Cerberus Black always has his sights set on the next big find. However, after a botched exploration left his partner, Pit, cursed, Cerberus now has his eyes set on the Chaos Code, believing that it could very well be the key to saving his friend.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: A "Treasure Hunter"
- Blade Below the Shoulder: One made out of lasers.
- Leitmotif: Paramet.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: His KO cry is a long, overdone "OUCHIE!"
- Shout-Out: His P2 colors make him look like Dante from Devil May Cry / Ragna the Bloodedge from Blazblue. The P3 colour make him look like Vergil from ''Devil May Cry. The P4 color make him look like Ky Kiske from Guilty Gear. The extra color also make him look like Jotaro from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Voiced by: Takeru Mochizuki
The main antagonist of Chaos Code. A descendant of a long line of once-renowned magic users that have been around since time immemorial. The man known only as Kudlak-Sin desires nothing but vengeance against those whose growing interest in Chaotics lead to the downfall of his clan as well as the death of his father. Now seeking the Chaos Code, Kudlak seeks to avenge his family name, as well as to find the missing link between Chaotics and the magic his family practiced for so long.
- Leitmotif: Has two. His pre-fight theme, Rage of Ages, as well as his actual in-game theme, Mystagia.
- SNK Boss: He started off as this in the original arcade version, but was nerfed slightly when he became playable.
Voiced by: Kaori Nemoto
A seemingly normal upper-class high school girl with a keen interest in gothic lolita fashion, Celia is in fact an android created for an unknown purpose. When word gets out to the public about the all-powerful Chaos Code, Celia sets off on her own in order to discover the truth behind her past as well as search for her creator: Arthur Tesla.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Mischievous Missile
- Leitmotif: Sonata For Celia.
- Shoryuken: Aerial Invitation
- Shout-Out: The Second color is based on Lieselotte Achenbach from Arcana Heart, and the fourth one is based on Flonne on Disgaea 2.
- Three-Strike Combo: Blade Stroll
Voiced by: "Shinya"
A man with barely any past to speak of, Vein's (Real name: Shin) family was split apart during a catastrophic war that the Earth-Union was involved in, separating him from his beloved sister. Believing that his sister selfishly abandoned him, Vein became a bitter and prone to anger swordsman who has made it his duty to find the Chaos Code and use it to cleanse the world of all that he finds irredeemable.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Lightning-Insanity
- Leitmotif: No Forgiveness.
- Shoryuken: Heavenly-Enchantment
Celia II KAI
Voiced by: Kaori Nemoto
The guardian of the Chaos Code and Celia's "sister". A previous incident with the Chaos Code left Celia II's body destroyed, but with a still functional, albeit damaged core unit. Rebuilt by Arthur Tesla, Celia II is given a new order by the professor when he suddenly goes missing: To secure his research notes and to make sure they don't fall into the wrong hands.
- Leitmotif: Much like Kudlak, she has two. Her pre-fight theme, Reflections of Eternity, and her in-game theme, Cut n' Run.
Voiced by: Yuka Nishigaki
Once a mild mannered and prudish young girl with a strict, upper-class upbringing, Hermes Gberardini's life took a drastic turn after discovering a strange magical book locked away in her parents' library, which when opened, freed the elemental spirits within. The incident awoke something within the young Hermes, and she ended up fleeing home.
Now working as an agent for Kurenai under the guise of a news reporter, Hermes seeks the Chaos Code, using it as a good opportunity to cut ties with the organization.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Because she's bored.
- Elemental Powers: Earth, Fire, Ice and Lightning, from the spirits she summons.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Infernal Conflagration
- Leitmotif: Bit Stock.
Voiced by: Tsubasa Yonaga
Heihachi Katori, better known by their pen name "Catherine", is an effeminate mangaka who's renowned for their shojo work. Unbeknownst to the public, Catherine is also the wielder of mysterious, reality-bending powers that they received from an unexplained freak accident.
After spending some time struggling with ideas for their next story, Catherine catches wind of the bounty placed upon the Chaos Code and the possibilities such a prize could spring to life. Deciding to put their powers to use, Catherine joins the hunt for the Chaos Code in the quest for the ultimate reference material.
- Ambiguous Gender: In the Japanese profile, there's a distinct lack of pronouns. In the English translation, the profile starts with masculine, but then flips to feminine with uncertainty.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Or, boy?
- Instant Costume Change: The basis for their entire moveset.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Magic Harmony
- Leitmotif: Starting Point.
- Marilyn Maneuver: Weaponized.
- Sequential Artist: A Mangaka that draws Shoujo stories.
- Shout-Out: Four colours are based on the Teletubbies; Tinky Winky, Po, Dipsy and Laa-Laa.
Voiced by: Kaori Nemoto
Cthylla is a self-proclaimed "Lyrical Magical Wonderful Magical Girl" who arrived on Earth for no particular reason other than boredom. Taking a particular interest in humankind, she spends her time wandering about playing dubiously humane pranks.
Eventually, Cthylla grew bored of this too, and soon desired something more exciting. As luck would have it, her prayers came to her in the form of the Chaos Code hunt. Cthylla immediately sets off, hoping to use the Chaos Code to indulge in her mischievous past-time.
- Black Speech: What she uses to call her Destruction Chaos.
- Dark Magical Girl: A Humanoid Abomination that's also a magical girl.
- Eldritch Abomination: She's Cthulhu's daughter. Yes, THAT Cthulhu.
- Leitmotif: Eleganza.
- Shoryuken: Wind Walking Ithaqua Upper
- Taken for Granite: Can transmogrify opponents into statues.
Voiced by: Noriaki Morita
Bravo Peperoncine is a world-renowned chef and restaurateur, famous for his strange, but somehow highly successful blend of Italian and Asian cuisine, which he apparently got the inspiration for from an unexplained incident earlier in his career.
Naturally, with success comes rowdy customers, and Bravo ended up losing his cherished restaurant after a violent brawl erupted between two irritable guests. Now faced without a restaurant or the money to rebuild it, Bravo joins the hunt for the Chaos Code, hoping to use the money to fund the restoration of his beloved restaurant.
- Chef of Iron: Naturally, as a chef in a fighting game, he attacks with food and cooking utensils.
- Grapple Move: The game's resident grappler, who tosses opponents around with his hands, frying pans, or flour bags.
- Leitmotif: Step To Me.
- Shout-Out: The Fourth color is based on Mario from Mario Bros and the extra one is based on Alex Louis Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist.
- Wrestler in All of Us: When he's not attacking with his kitchen-related items, he's using his raw strength and weight to dismantle opponents.
Cait & Sith Whisker
Voiced by: Yuka Nishigaki
Cait & Sith are a pair of rambunctious twin siblings and the children of the treasure hunter Pit.
After discovering that their father had been rendered cursed after his most recent expedition, the Whisker twins began searching for a potential cure to rid Pit of his curse, and their travels lead them on the hunt for his treasure hunting partner - Ceberus Black - believing that he might be the key to saving their father.
- Find the Cure: Their quest to relieve their father of a curse.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Albeit semi-willingly.
- Leitmotif: Unite The Night.
- Puppet Fighter: You primarily control Cait, but Sith helps with almost all his attacks and can also be placed to attack separately.
- Shoryuken: Rising Dragon Attack
- Shout-Out: The Last Extra color is based on Justice from Guilty Gear.
- Three-Strike Combo: Combination Brother & Sister Crush.
- You Killed My Father: Cait can accuse an opponent of this. Sith reminds him their father isn't dead.
Voiced by: Chima Fujisaki
A country girl through and through, Rui has wanted nothing more than to get out into the world. Fortunately for her, that opportunity goes knocking when a family heirloom and artifact of worship was stolen from her village and apparently sold off in an auction.
Despite fiercly disliking her countryside roots, Rui is still completely dedicated to her family and rises to the opportunity to hunt down and retrieve the heirloom. Naturally, it's not long until she winds up in the worlwide hunt for the Chaos Code.
- Counter-Attack: Counter Crush: Code C
- Grapple Move: Guardless Explosion
- Leitmotif: Toward The Sun.
- Shoryuken: Fighting Gear Kick
- Slide Attack: Titatic Star Slide
- Shout-Out: Her P2 color make her like Makoto Nanaya from Blazblue.
- Three-Strike Combo: Mega Strike Attack
Introduced in Chaos Code: New Sign of Catastrophe
Voiced by: Kazuno Higashi
An Earth Union sergeant, Lupinus once used to keep to herself after becoming traumatized from the loss of her arm in the past. However, she has since become more outgoing after meeting and befriending her superior officer - Hikaru Otagi.
However, as Hikaru is assigned to track down the Chaos Code, Lupinus is given the mission to keep an eye on Hikaru and make sure he remains under Earth Union surveillance. Now faced with having to choose between her devotion to the Earth Union and her best friend, Lupinus takes measures into her own hands.
- Leitmotif: M.T.L.D
- Stalker with a Crush: Apparently, she's the dark shadow that's been trailing Hikaru.
Voiced by: Daisuke Yokota
Some time ago, Ray was once an officer working for the Earth Union's police department who was assigned to a case regarding the Chaos Code. However, due to mysterious circumstances, the intelligence division of the police department forcibly closed the case before he could get anywhere with it.
Wanting to figure out what exactly the Earth Union may be hiding, Ray turns in his badge and continues his search for the Chaos Code, working as a bouncer for a casino in the meantime to make ends meet.
- Leitmotif: Code Red