And you think escargots are gross...note
The slapstick trickster cartoon. You know the drill: some character pulls a mean one on another. The victim retaliates. Both parties get caught up in an escalating spiral of cartoon violence. Hilarity Ensues
, until houses are leveled down, forests are ravaged, cities are lain waste, and the world goes Kaboom!!
. Then they start it all over again in the next episode.
This time-honored formula, featured in many Looney Tunes
and Tom and Jerry
shorts, gets a revival in the French production Oggy and the Cockroaches
(Oggy et les Cafards
- 1998-1999, 2008, 2013). Each 7-minute short (there are 195 of them) follows the life of the blue rotund cat Oggy, who has the misfortune to share the same house with three cute but naughty roaches: Dee Dee, Marky and Joey. Their sole purpose of existence is to have fun with Oggy by pulling a series of practical jokes. Oggy is sometimes helped by his cousin Jack, a green cat with a knack in mechanics and a short fuse. Factor in a burly neighborhood bulldog named Bob, and you have a great slapstick set-up.Oggy
is renowned for its expressive use of mime — the cats may make cat sounds or (rarely) speak in gibberish, but there is no dialog, and written words are kept to a minimum. Without the need for dubbing, the show is able to reach a wide international audience.The Characters page
.The WMG page
This show contains examples of:
- Absentee Actor: Joey and Marky doesn't appear in "Happy Campers".
- Accordion Man: actually accordion cat.
- Adorkable: Oggy
- Amusing Injuries: DEAR LORD, to say that the injuries of the characters are amusing is an understatement. This is Tom And Jerry Up to Eleven, and by GOD, is that saying something.
- And I Must Scream: Oggy is victim to this, especially anytime certain things like being trapped in a piece of paper, becoming part of the cockroaches' train track, or being turned victim of a voodoo made out of clay clay. Occasionally, Jack too, especially in "Jack in a Box" and "Oggy's Puzzled".
- Angry Guard Dog: Bob.
- Annoying Laugh: The cockroaches.
- Ascended Extra: Bob, by Season 4, where he shows up even more frequently than the last three seasons.
- Balloon Belly: The cockroaches once filled Oggy's belly with helium, making Oggy to believe he was pregnant.
- Battle Discretion Shot: Pretty much the Trope Codifier. All the major violence happens off screen and the audience only sees the results.
- Big Ball of Violence: Often seen with Bob the Dog and Oggy.
- Big Eater: Dee Dee the cockroach. Also an Extreme Omnivore. Oggy also shares this trope.
- Bigger on the Inside: Oggy's house is a PRARDIS - Purple Roof and Relative Dimensions in Space.
- Butt Monkey: Oggy and Jack, and the Cockroaches themselves.
- Camp Straight: Oggy
- Cats Are Mean: This is mostly for Jack, although Oggy is no saint either.
- Olivia is probably the only one who averts this trope.
- Comedic Sociopathy: And how!
- Crazy-Prepared: Jack sometimes.
- Creepy Cockroach: The cockroaches themselves.
- Deranged Animation
- Depending on the Writer: On each episode, it will be determined if Oggy (and sometimes Jack) or the Cockroaches wins in the episode they are starring (though sometimes, they both can lose).
- Also it depends on the episode which character is the bigger jerkass if at all.
- Driving Test: The car is destroyed, but Oggy gets a pass. The instructor is blind.
- Drunk with Power: Jack in "The Dictator"
- Exposed Animal Bellybutton
- Expy: The meaty doctor from "Face Off" seem to be similar to Wall from Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi.
- Fantastic Voyage: Dee Dee gets a close up view of Oggy's Bizzarchitechture insides in the episode 'Globopolis' where it soon turns out Oggy is operated by tiny ghost-clones.
- Fat Cat: Oggy.
- For the Evulz: When the cockroaches aren't trying to get food or some other object of interest from Oggy or Jack they're just messing with them for fun. But sometimes, it can be vice-versa
- Furry Confusion: Watch "The Neighbor's Cat".
- Gonk: Many of the "human" characters in the show.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Implied in-universe in this video.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Want to know how much? Look here~
- Gratuitous Spanish: The "El Salsafiore" record.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Ed, Edd and Eddy are Dee Dee, Marky and Joey the cockroaches.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: Many female human characters are shown to be this. Also, the nurses in "Face Off".
- Interspecies Romance: Oggy once had a very pretty human girlfriend who has a crush on one of the roaches. Oggy of course was jealous
- In one episode Jack gets married to a poodle.
- Jerkass: All of the characters share this trope.
- Leitmotif: Bob the bulldog has a French-horn theme, while Jack is often accompanied by electric guitar. The cockroaches have their theme tune, harpsichord, or both. Oggy shares his theme tune with the show's opening.
- Man Child: Oggy, and how!
- Meat-O-Vision: One of the cockroaches gets a snootful of mushroom spores and sees Jack as a giant roast chicken. And tries to eat his leg.
- Mime and Music-Only Cartoon
- Musical Theme Naming: The cockroaches are all named after members of The Ramones.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Invoked in "For Real", when Oggy and Joey becomes zapped after Joey throws Oggy's Iphone, causing the two to be turned into a realistic cat and a realistic roach. Later, it happens to Jack, Dee Dee, Marky, and Bob during the successful attempt to change Oggy and Joey's appearance back to normal. Bob's appearance, well, it's quite become threatening.
- Put on a Bus: Monica, as of season 3.
- Recurring Character: Bob, Monica, Pink-nose Cop, The Penguin and (as of season 4) Olivia.
- Sadist Show
- Santa Claus: As a giant godlike anthropomorphic Christmas stocking in "Green Peace", which makes it all the more funny when he accidentally trips over a tree stump and destroys the last standing Christmas tree in a forest. He appears again with the traditional appearance in "Santa Oggy", where he got injured thanks to the cockroaches, and Oggy helps him to deliver the presents.
- Screwy Squirrel: The three roaches, to the extreme.
- Slapstick: Hoo, boy!
- Sphere Eyes
- Spiritual Successor: To Tom and Jerry, carrying over many tropes into an entirely new generation.
- Squashed Flat: It happens quite a lot. Mostly happens to the cockroaches (except in one episode where Oggy kills them. Of course, they got better by the end of the episode thanks to Oggy.).
- Sympathetic Inspector Antagonist: Ping-nose Cop and The Inspector from "The Fugitive".
- Tarot Motifs: After breaking a mirror on Friday the 13th, Oggy draws three different Deaths and a Nuke.
- Threatening Shark: One appears in the episode "Scuba Diving".
- Toothy Bird: The peguin and the bird Oggy rode on in the pizza episode.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Oggy's sister Monica looks just like him, except for some Tertiary Sexual Characteristics.
- This is averted with Jack, who is Oggy's cousin yet doesn't even have the same fur color.
- Your Head Asplode: Happened to Joey when he finds Oggy on the moon in Oggy's Double.