open/close all folders
- The name "flit gun" is a Brand Name Takeover, referring to the insecticide company Flit. Flit rose to prominence in the early 20th century due to a highly successful marketing campaign. The campaign used humorous cartoons, drawn by none other than a pre-fame Dr. Seuss, and spawned a popular Catch Phrase, "Quick, Henry, the Flit!" So successful was the campaign that, at one time, crop dusters were nicknamed "flying flit guns".
- In The Wizard of Oz, the Cowardly Lion arms himself against the Wicked Witch with one.
- In Animal Crackers, Harpo uses one at the end of the movie. It knocks everyone out, including himself.
- In Labyrinth, Hoggle uses one of these against flying fairies.
- Used by Don Corleone's grandson in The Godfather.
Live Action TV
- You can still find these in Ace and True Value hardware stores, but they're quite obscure.
- The 2002 remake of Resident Evil requires you to use one on the massive hornet's nest before grabbing the key beneath it.
- This is what your character uses in Donkey Kong 3, and in the Game & Watch game Greenhouse.
- Mr. Game and Watch went on to use the same bug sprayer for one of his attacks in the Super Smash Bros. series.
- Lots of time management games that involve either farming or flower growing will invoke this trope when fighting off bugs. There are a bunch of them on Big Fish Games.
- In Legend of the Crystal Skull, Nancy Drew must use one of these against wasps to gain access to a tree's fruit.
- Blood 2: The Chosen features one of these as a weapon, with a lit Zippo lighter attached to the top - primary fire shoots out extremely-acidic bug spray, secondary turns it upside-down to use it in the same manner as an Aerosol Flamethrower.
- Countless episodes of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The page image is from Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too.
- That Tom and Jerry episode, "Trap Happy", with the Mouse Exterminator cat.
- Mickey Mouse uses one in "Mickey's Garden". In "The Worm Turns" he uses one to dispense Super Serum.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Applejack has one during the defense of Sweet Apple Acres in "Swarm of the Century".
- One of the common methods of attempting to dispatch the cockroaches in Oggy and the Cockroaches. Jack has a tendency to fill them with his own homemade pesticides, which often end up turning the odds even further in the favor of the roaches.