We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Characters: Suikoden Recurring Characters
Note: Please list any Recurring Characters
and their associated tropes on this page.
Tir McDohl (The Hero)
- Back from the Dead: He can be miraculously brought back to life by the powers of Leknaat's Gate Rune and the 108 Stars of Destiny if all other 107 Stars are recruited and kept alive prior to the final battle in Gregminster.
- Battle Butler: Always refers to the hero as "young master".
- But Thou Must: You can decline to take him with you exactly once during the game, but he refuses to take no for an answer. Unfortunately, the trip he won't leave your side for gets him killed.
- The Champion: To the hero.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: He is killed by the flesh-eating Spores of Agony.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He dies protecting the hero from the Spores.
- Old Retainer: Although he is still young.
- Parental Substitute: To the hero, especially as he lost mother at an early age.
- Reluctant Warrior: He is this, but it's mostly because he is worried about the hero's safety.
- Required Party Member: For the early part of the game. He's pretty insistant about accompanying the hero.
- So Proud of You
- X Marks the Hero
- Action Girl
- '80s Hair: She sports awesome big-hair.
- Heel-Face Turn: She was Kwanda's right hand woman, but defected to the Liberation Army following her discovery of what Kwanda was planning, which included the eradication of her own hometown.
- Shout-Out: Possibly, to the feisty love interest of the same name in the movie Conan the Barbarian.
- Anyone Can Die: He can die if he doesn't beat Teo in a one on one duel. This will lock you out of Gremio's revival.
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Big Eater: He often complains he's hungry in the early part of the game.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: He informs the Imperials that Ted possess the Soul Eater rune, starting a chain of events that leads the hero to join the Liberation Army. However, he can redeem himself later in the game if you allow it.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He was defeated by Teo McDohl in hand-to-hand combat and since then has served under him, almost as a live-in servant/bodyguard.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: He's pretty tough to recruit, as he must be of a sufficiently high experience level to best Teo and therefore become available.
- Grumpy Bear
- Spirited Competitor: He lives for fighting.
- Absolute Cleavage: In every game. The only variable is how she does it.
- Crystal Ball
- Hello, Nurse!
- Hot Witch: Magic is her speciality. She is always encountered as a rune mistress.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: Turns up in every single Suikoden title, regardless of space or time differences. Unlike with Viki and Leknaat, who are explicitly an accidental time traveler and immortal, respectively, there's not the slightest hint how Jeane does it.
- It's been jokingly suggested by the creators that she's an extreme case of Generation Xerox in that her whole family looks alike, but they have not confirmed anything.
- Ms. Fanservice: For the whole Suikoden series.
- Magical Lady Warrior
- Mysterious Past: No one knows where or when she came from. It's implied that she has some connection to the equally mysterious Sindar race, but whether that means she's one of them or just that she had contact with them before their civilization collapsed is yet another mystery.
- Opera Gloves
- Peek-a-Bangs: She's often drawn with her hair (sexily) over one eye.
- Really 700 Years Old: Speculated, debated, never confirmed. See Inexplicably Identical Individuals above.
- Secret Identity: Apparently, she has a 'true form' which is not visible to humans, and she wishes to keep it that way. Or so she says.
- She's Got Legs
- Statuesque Stunner
- Stripperiffic: Her outfits have become more and more outrageously flimsy.
- Witch Species: Possibly.
Vincent De Boule
- Ambiguously Gay
- Blue Blood
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: He has the tendency of thinking that he is instantly great friends with someone and he has these friends everywhere.
- Collared by Fashion
- The Fighting Narcissist: Along with fellow Narcissists Milich and Esmerelda.
- Flower Motifs: Specifically roses. They're on the back of his cape in Suikoden I.
- I Owe You My Life: He was freed during the Liberation Army's rescue attempt on Moravia Castle (though you have to make a return trip to actually recruit him), and proclaims eternal gratitude, vowing to aid the hero by joining the Liberation Army.
- Impoverished Patrician: When first encountered, he's involved in a dispute with a local proprietor, trying to dodge paying a bill, stating that "it was the man's honor to have Vincent De Boule dine at your establishment".
- Impractically Fancy Outfit: His dress sense is certainly eccentric.
- Leitmotif: The narcissist's theme "Scarleticia Castle" plays whenever the hero interacts with him.
- Upper-Class Twit
- Curious as a Monkey: He dreams of visiting and mapping the whole world.
- Danshigakusei: His look.
- Fantasy World Map: His speciality. Once recruited, it is possible to view the entire world map.
- Free Range Child: He's an extreme example. His parents are conspicuously absent.
- Innocent Prodigy: He is a genius surveyor and map-maker and set out mapping the world from the age of just eleven, but can still get a little crabby if he needs to update his maps following wars.
Leknaat the Seer
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome: She is the keeper of the Gate Rune, a True Rune that has the power to open portals to other worlds and dimensions. It was split in two following an attack on her village of the Gate Rune Clan by Harmonia. She kept the back half, Windy kept the front half. It's assumed that Leknaat reclaimed the front half after Windy's death in Suikoden I.
- Back from the Dead: If all 108 Stars of Destiny are recruited, she resurrects Gremio.
- Blind Seer: Her role is to provide astrological projections.
- Cool Teacher: To her young apprentice, Luc.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Hermit Guru: She lives in splendid isolation on the Magician's Isle, away from the prying eyes of Windy.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: Like Jeane and Viki, she is a constant presence in the Suikoden world and turns up in every single game, though this is explained as immortality conferred upon her by the Gate Rune.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Really 700 Years Old: The power of the Gate Rune has granted her unnaturally long life.
- Spirit Advisor
- The Watcher: She acts as an inspirational guide to all the heroes.
- Woman in White
- Artifact of Doom: He is the bearer of the Soul Eater prior to Tir McDohl.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One
- The Lancer: He is the hero's best friend.
- Last of His Kind: Ted was born in the Village of the Hidden Rune and was the sole survivor of an attack on the village by Windy, Neclord and Yuber, during which he received the Soul Eater from his grandfather.
- Nice Guy
- Pursued Protagonist: Windy has been chasing him for hundreds of years to regain the Soul Eater.
- The Reveal: She gets her opportunity when he is forced to use his power to blast the Queen Ant to save his friends.
- Plot Coupon: He is wounded by Windy, but has a brief opportunity to pass the Soul Eater to the Hero, before he is hauled away
- Made a Slave: His fate is sealed, and Windy uses her Conquerer Rune, the rune of control, to force him to appear before the hero and ask for the Soul Eater back.
- Heroic Spirit: In defiance and to protect his friend, Ted commands the Soul Eater to take his own soul and it is believed that he ended his life at that moment.
- Really 700 Years Old: Due to the power of the Soul Eater.