Characters: Guilty Gear X
Here we're going to list the characters introduced in Guilty Gear X
and its Updated Rereleases
The Captain Ersatz
, "No Celebrities Were Harmed
", Mythology Gags
, Continuity Nods
references go here
open/close all folders
Anji is a cheerful, knowledge-hungry Japanese man fueled by curiosity, especially about Gears. His main objective is to meet with That Man and learn more about Gears, as well as escaping from the colony the Japanese are being held in since he feels like a bird in a gilded cage. Is acquainted with Baiken from childhood and has a crush on her of sorts.
- Affably Evil: After joining That Man.
- Berserk Button: Calling him a pronoun with older connotations (like Oji-san or Pops), as May finds out.
- Blow You Away: He uses the Zessen, the Outrage that amplifies wind magic.
- Bodyguard Crush: Sorta, towards Baiken. Though she doesn't exactly need his protection, being a very strong Action Girl already.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Combat Hand Fan: His weapons, taken from the Outrage set created by Sol. His fans are named Zessen.
- Detached Sleeves
- Face-Heel Turn: Only on the basis that he sides with the most hated man of Sol. Otherwise, he hasn't changed that much , he just happens to work for the Big Bad.
- Heel-Face Turn: In the same game, even. One moment he meets Baiken, he decided that it's not worth being with That Man if it risks killing her, so he quits. While this was considered a Bad End for Anji, this is considered a Good End for Baiken, so we may not know which one will be canon.
- Enigmatic Minion: Raven doesn't even trust Anji for all his services, although That Man doesn't seem to mind (then again, this IS That Man). Likewise, Anji doesn't 100% trust That Man and is watching from afar if it turns out he's doing something horrible.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Only on the basis that he sides with the most hated man of Sol.
- Fun Personified: Always cheerful and laid-back.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses his fans.
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures: He uses this trope on purpose to hide his real nationality by taking the guise of a Chinese person.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Feminine Boy to Baiken's Masculine Girl.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Parasol of Pain: His secondary weapon is a Japanese parasol.
- Punch Clock Villain: For a servant of That Man, Anji still remains a jolly dude, relaxing people with dances (and fighting) and even getting along with fellow Japanese people like May.
- Stupid Sexy Anji: No matter how many fanboys deny it.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: His theme song, "Fuuga", compared to Mötley Crüe's Live Wire.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Vain Sorceress: A male, more benign version. He greatly dislikes the idea of growing old and dying, but doesn't seek out destruction and mayhem while trying to reverse that. In one of his XX endings, That Man actually does offer him the chance to become immortal and young forever, but we don't know what Anji's reply is... until Accent Core + reveals that he actually accepted and had a Face-Heel Turn.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: All the time.
Mikio Yaeda (X-XX, JP), Junichi Suwabe
(AC-current, JP), Ogie Banks (EN)
Zato-ONE's most loyal follower. Like Millia, Venom was an orphan who was taken in by the Guild. Since then he has been fanatically devoted to Zato. After Zato dies, Venom seeks to preserve his legacy. His plans are put in jeopardy when Slayer attempts to disband the Guild, forcing Venom to fight him for its leadership. Slayer purposefully loses, and Venom becomes the new leader. It's revealed in Accent Core +
, however, that keeping Zato's name alive through the Guild isn't making him as content as he thought it would and he decides finally taking revenge against Millia is the best course of action.
Confirmed as a returning character for Xrd. Design-wise, Venom is exactly the same as before, with a few insignias added to his clothing, possibly the Assassins' Guild logo. Over the years, Venom has been working hard to improve the reputation of the Guild. One day, he is approached by the Senate with a shocking offer: the revival of Zato-1, in exchange for an as-of-yet unrevealed contract. Venom accepts the offer, but remains suspicious, so he summons Millia in order to investigate the Senate while he fulfills his contract.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Blinding Bangs: It's really hard to see his eyes anywhere except for official artwork. They're easier to see in Xrd, though when they appear it's usually for a few seconds at most.
- Blood Knight: In one of his endings in Accent Core +, he decides to wage war against the PWAB. His reasoning? "I just felt like picking a fight."
- Break Up to Make Up: One of his Accent Core + endings.
- Corrupt the Cutie: The Guild almost executed him when he was a child for refusing to hurt others and being too kind. He is now their leader.
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- He Knows Billiard Kane
- Improbable Weapon User: He uses a pool cue and balls; considering his profession, this actually makes sense as an assassin's weapon.
- I Owe You My Life: The source of his devotion to Zato-ONE, who saved him from death when he was a young boy.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Mocked for this when he loses to Eddie, who is using the body of his beloved, adding to the humiliation.
- In one of his pre-battle quotes against Millia in Accent Core +, he tells her the reason he hasn't killed her yet is due to Zato's feelings for her.
- Internal Reformist: Type 3. After inheriting leadership from Slayer, Venom utilized both his and Zato's teachings to transform the Guild into something that closer resembled what it once was: an organization that benefits society by killing the corrupt and power-abusive.
- Love Martyr: To insane lengths. As of note, he has: murdered dozens of people, followed every order given regardless of his personal beliefs, has almost been killed multiple times, spent who-knows how much of his own time searching for Zato despite Millia and members of the Guild trying to stop him, convinced the Guild's founder to pass over control rather than disband it, and rebuilt it in less than five years all for someone he knows had feelings for someone else.
- The Mourning After: Even with Zato dead, Venom seems hellbent on spending the rest of his life building up the Guild in the man's memory.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Subverted. For as much as he despises Millia, the only attempt on her life he made while Zato was still alive was when he had been ordered to by Zato himself. It wasn't until after Zato's death that he became adamant about taking her down for personal reasons. Come Xrd, and he is back to being cordial with Milla following Zato's resurrection.
- Pure Is Not Good: Venom was a very kind child, but because of his love for Zato he's done anything for him. He doesn't do anything for himself nor do things that isn't for Zato's sake or memory.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Venom was saved by Zato when he was young. Though from a mere savior figure, Zato became his Love Interest.
- Straight Gay: Confirmed by Word of Gay.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: His theme song, "A Solitude That Asks Nothing in Return" compared to Napalm Death's "Breed to Breathe".
- Tyke Bomb: Like Millia, he was raised from an orphanage funded by the Assassins and then got picked when he was probably older.
- Yandere: A male example. He continues to be in love with Zato, and wants to kill Eddie to let him rest in peace. He wants to kill Millia because she betrayed their organization and his adopted father. That it's personal makes Venom more driven than most, but he has legitimate reasons to hate Millia and she is aware of this.
The captain of the almost all-female Jellyfish Pirates. In X
, he fights for the bounty on Dizzy, but gives the reward money to Jam. He then takes Dizzy in as part of his crew.
Makes a reappearance in Xrd during the game's story mode.
- Accidental Pervert: To Bridget.
- American Accents: In the dub, he speaks with a Texas Drawl.
- Bad Ass: Oh so much.
- Badass Beard: In Vastedge.
- Badass Longcoat
- Chivalrous Pervert: He does genuinely care for the Jellyfish girls, and you better not hurt them. Seriously, don't. Not to mention he's much smarter than he seems, and is able to keep up with people like Ky and Testament among others.
- Chick Magnet: And HOW!
- Even the Guys Want Him: Subverted in Bridget, who doesn't know better because he's Just a Kid.
- Father to His Girls: Commands the respect and unerring loyalty of the Jellyfish Pirates.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Gentleman Thief: Erm, pirate.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner
- Impossibly Cool Clothes
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Sometimes taken to extreme lengths.
- Rated M for Manly
- Rule of Cool: His character is pretty much pure style. There's nothing consistent about his design but damn if it doesn't exude "awesome".
- Revenge: Against Crow, who is alluded to have killed Johnny's sensei.
- McSamurai Cowboy: Probably the only American to use Iaido, one of the most Bad Ass swordfighting techniques of all time, which only the baddest of asses can use effectively.
- Say My Name: Not a literal example of the trope, but his super attack slashes the opponent in the form of a large burning J, which then explodes. The attack is called "This is My Name."
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Money that powers up his charged sword slash attack 3 levels to do enough damage as a single Overdrive move.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: With the Holy Knights.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders
- Walking Shirtless Scene
- Weak, but Skilled: Much like Baiken, he has no powers at all yet is very skilled in the use of the katana.
A Chinese martial artist and aspiring chef. In X she gets the reward money and finally opens up her restaurant...which gets burned down in XX by Robo-Ky.
A half-human, half-Gear. Dizzy lived peacefully with her adopted family for 3 years. During this time, she grew faster than normal humans to the point where she looked around 16 years old. She also grew wings and a tail, singling her out as a Gear. To avoid conflict, her adoptive parents left her at a small grove known as the Devil's Living Place, where a newly-conscious Testament found her and became infatuated with her. Dizzy brought out some of Testament's lost humanity, which he was grateful for, and he decided to become her guardian. Together they lived in peace at the grove for about 3 months.
That is, until word got out of her Gear nature. A bounty was immediately placed on her head for 500,000 world dollars, and many challengers set out to defeat her and claim their reward. All of them fell before Testament until Sol Badguy appeared and defeated him once again. Afterwards, he fought Dizzy and defeated her as well. Sol decided not to kill her and left, leaving the reward money to Jam Kuradoberi. Ky Kiske eventually rescued her and entrusted her to Johnny, captain of the Jellyfish Pirates, who took her in as part of his crew, made up entirely of young women. It was there that she became good friends with May, and finally found a family she could call her own.
Her peace was once again disturbed about a week later, when a strange woman in red attacked the Jellyfish Pirates' ship. Upon seeing the chaos she brought, Dizzy pleaded with the woman to end her nonsense, but instead she got knocked off of the ship and lost consciousness. During this time, she was controlled by Necro, one of her 2 inner persona embedded within her wings. This is what allowed her to survive. She eventually regains consciousness when Sol stops her uncontrollable rampage. She is later found by Johnny & Testament, whereupon the latter agrees to give up his guardianship to the former.
In Accent Core +
she yearns to know more about the world around her. During this time her power goes out of control again due to the Post-War Administration Bureau's meddling and she is stopped by Ky and Johnny. Johnny decides to leave her in Ky's care, and in her ending, she is shown sleeping on a book-laden desk as Ky watches.
It is heavily implied in Overture
and confirmed in 10th Memorial Book
that she is the "Maiden of the Grove" whom Ky has married, and Sin's mother. Due to Valentine's mad search for the key, however, poor Dizzy begins to fade from existence because of Valentine's ability to sublimate Gears. To save her from her fate, Ky sacrifices his Fuuraiken sword to freeze her in time. Momma's Boy
that he is, Sin eagerly awaits the day when he can see his mother again, and at first hates his father for failing to completely save her.