Characters: Guilty Gear 2 Overture
Here we're going to list the characters introduced in Guilty Gear 2: Overture
The Captain Ersatz
, "No Celebrities Were Harmed
", Mythology Gags
, Continuity Nods
references go here
open/close all folders
Sol's student and the illegitimate son of Ky Kiske and The Maiden of the Grove, a Gear woman who was recently confirmed to be Dizzy. He travels with Sol due to his Gear nature, which makes him an easy outcast
. Sol is more of a father figure to him than anyone else, even his biological father, Ky. Sin deeply resents and hates his father for not being there for him after he was crowned King of Illyria. Ky gave him very little, if any, attention, making their relationship very distant. All of the attention was given to him by his mother. Because of his very fast growth rate, he was placed in Sol's care for the discovery of his existence will endanger his life.
Since he was raised under Sol (and no thanks to his surprisingly young age), Sin is very hotheaded and charges into things without a second thought. This trait ends up getting him kidnapped and brainwashed by Valentine to serve her. The brainwashing fuels his desire to surpass his master, and increases his rage towards Ky. He is eventually beaten out of his condition by Sol, and continues to fight Valentine's Justice form. When Valentine attempts to self-destruct the gate to the Backyard, Sin is forced outside the gate by Sol. After the End
, it's shown that he's now trying to mend the broken relationship with his father while awaiting for the recovery of his mother, deciding to take it slowly and continue to train under Sol.
Sin will return in Xrd as a console-exclusive playable character, making his debut in the fighting games proper.
- The Ageless: Given that he's part-Gear, which they become immune to age and live for an indefinite period of time, this is a given.
- Animal Motifs: His moves in Xrd are named after birds.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: With Ky, opening mission 16.
- Badass Army: Shares a human army with Ky.
- Badass Family: Ky is his father and Dizzy is his mother (which makes Justice his Grandmother (and by extension Valentine, maybe). If Sol is really Dizzy's dad, then that makes him his grandfather. He's essentially all the main characters rolled into one.
- Badass Longcoat
- Bastard Bastard: He's illegitimate yes, but he's not that much of a bastard. Also, nobody in the kingdom knows that he actually existed.
- Big Eater: One of his likes is "his raging appetite", and even has that as a mechanic in Xrd, where he will have to eat in order to keep his power steady or else his ability to do special attacks will be halved if he goes on an empty stomach.
- Bishōnen: He IS Ky's son, after all.
- Brainwashed and Crazy (Brainwashed by Valentine, and all too happy to kill the heroes. Sol had other ideas...)
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You
- Half-Human Hybrid: (Quarter Gear.)
- Human Dad Nonhuman Mom
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Sort of. In Xrd, Sin has a special meter called "Full Stomach" that goes down whenever he uses special moves. Once this meter depletes, he must eat food items to refill it and be able to use his special moves again.
- Idiot Hero: Possibly justified by his age.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses A FLAG. And as for why, the 10th Anniversary Memorial book says that some time before Overture a younger and then-weaponless Sin decided that he needed a weapon to help Sol with the bounty hunting. Sol ask what kind of weapon, and Sin tells a somewhat lengthy description that boils down to "it needs to be flashy and attention gathering", to which an unamused Sol tells Sin to go wave a flag or something, advice that Sin took seriously.
- In the Blood: He inherited his father's lighting element, (though he denies it and claims that its ''his'' mother's power.)
- I Have No Father: Subverted because he considers Sol to be his dad.
- It Runs in the Family: Sol himself pointed out that he's as loud as Ky.
- Mac Guffin Boy: For Valentine.
- Meaningful Name: His name is probably reference to the fact that he is the offspring of a human and a gear.
- Momma's Boy
- Oedipus Complex: "This is my real power! MY MOTHER'S POWER!" Which he "displays" to Sol by using Ride the Lightning.
- Rebel Prince
- Sarashi: The leather midriff part is this basically.
- Shock and Awe: Like father, like son. Just don't tell him that.
- Turn Out Like His Father: Subverted: Though he inherited Ky's power and some part of his personality, Sin's attitude is much like Sol's, only much, much stupider.
- Double Subversion if Sol is proven to be his grandfather. Sol is an intelligent scientist, but Sin ended as an idiot and barely literate. And Word of God states that Sol's half-assed upbringing is to blame for that, since Sol half-asses pretty much everything.
- Willfully Weak: Or so he claims, anyway.
- Younger than They Look: Like Dizzy before him, he's 2-5 years old but looks around 15.
A jovial fox spirit created in the Backyard. He lives in (and was previously exiled to) a pocket dimension of the Backyard called the "Yomotsu Hirasaka" or Underworld Hill in English. He first appears to Sol and Sin when they are first attacked by Valentine's servants. Izuna doesn't usually fight, but then reveals that he can fight perfectly well and has much knowledge of magic, much to Sol's annoyance. Like Anji, he appears to be fond of getting information.
The leader of a group of animal-type Gears on a remote island called Ganymede. Paradigm is a
dragon-like Gear who is a brilliant strategist and tactician who also has an immense knowledge of magic. He hates humans at first for their treatment of Gears, but then realizes that not all Humans Are Bastards
when he allies with Ky, who makes him the ambassador for Gears in the end.
He's currently trying to figure out how to break the seal on Dizzy.
- Badass Army: His Gears, who have a interesting "civilized nature with technology" aesthetic.
- Badass Bookworm: He even has his own magic scrapbook.
- Big Damn Heroes: He and Ky show up with an army in tow to bail out Sol's party.
- Big "WHAT?!": His reaction when Ky Kiske declared his love for the frozen maiden, which is the Key Valentine is searching for, the backup of Justice and a powerful Gear who's supposed to be dead. His brain seemingly suffered stroke when the king also revealed he and his lover are Sin's parents.
- Humans Are Bastards: His thoughts at first.
- Insistent Terminology: For the last time, it's dragon!
- Squishy Wizard: He's capable of high level magic that even Sol can't do but he has the smallest health in the roster of Overture.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: His gameplay is strange in that he doesn't physically attack you, but he hurls boulders at you.
The Antagonist of Guilty Gear 2: Overture. She is obsessed with obtaining a certain "Key" that will allow her to enter the Backyard and cause the undoing of the universe. She is completely emotionless, and has eerily robotic mannerisms. She kidnaps and brainwashes Sin for a short period before extracting his DNA, and enters the Backyard. Sol stops the process of the Key turning by destroying it, which causes her to feel her first emotion: PISSED OFF
. After her transformations Sol kills her, but not before realizing that she is a clone of Aria, Sol's previous lover.
2 years after the events of Overture, Sol senses that she may be alive again
A new character bearing her namesake appears in Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-, but it is unknown if they are related or the same person entirely.