open/close all folders
- "Of course! My heart always has, and always will be, open to all!"
Sol's student and the illegitimate son of Ky Kiske and The Maiden of the Grove, a Gear woman who was recently confirmed to be Dizzy. He travels with Sol due to his Gear nature, which makes him an easy outcast. Sol is more of a father figure to him than anyone else, even his biological father, Ky. Sin deeply resents and hates his father for not being there for him after he was crowned King of Illyria. Ky gave him very little, if any, attention, making their relationship very distant. All of the attention was given to him by his mother, Dizzy. Because of his very fast growth rate, he was placed in Sol's care for the discovery of his existence will endanger his life.
Since he was raised under Sol (and no thanks to his surprisingly young age), Sin is very hotheaded and charges into things without a second thought. This trait ends up getting him kidnapped and brainwashed by Valentine to serve her. The brainwashing fuels his desire to surpass his master, and increases his rage towards Ky. He is eventually beaten out of his condition by Sol, and continues to fight Valentine's Justice form. When Valentine attempts to self-destruct the gate to the Backyard, Sin is forced outside the gate by Sol. After the End, it's shown that he's now trying to mend the broken relationship with his father while awaiting for the recovery of his mother, deciding to take it slowly and continue to train under Sol.
Sin returned in Xrd as a console-exclusive playable character, making his debut in the fighting games proper.
- The Ageless: Given that he's part-Gear, which become immune to age and live for an indefinite period of time, this is a given.
- All-Loving Hero: By his own admission.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: In Xrd. Most noticeable with his eyepatch, ala Sagat.
- Animal Motifs: His moves in Xrd are named after birds.
- Apologetic Attacker: In his Instant Kill in Xrd, he admits to his opponent that he has no idea what will happen as he goes all out, wishing them luck as they crash through several mountains.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: With Ky, opening mission 16.
- Big Eater: One of his likes is "his raging appetite", and even has that as a mechanic in Xrd, where he will has to eat in order to keep his power steady, or else his ability to do special attacks will be halved if he goes on an empty stomach.
- Bishōnen: He IS Ky's son, after all.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Brainwashed by Valentine, and all too happy to kill the heroes. Sol had other ideas...
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: That reason was having a king of a newly-formed nation for a father, which naturally took up a lot of Ky's time when Sin was (quickly) growing up. There's also the fact that Sin is technically a bastard son that came from a Gear mother, and publicly acknowledging either Sin or Dizzy would have resulted in a lot of political backlash.
- Dumb Blonde: He's not like the rest of his family in terms of brains, seeing as Ky is Ky, and Dizzy is noted for being an avid bookworm. A lot of this falls on Sol, who didn't bother teaching Sin a lot of things that he really should have, like reading, basic math, history, etc.
- Dumb Muscle: Being partly a Gear, he has immense strength but is barely literate, courtesy of his upbringing by Sol.
- Eyepatch of Power: Sin's never been seen without his eyepatch, with no explicit explanation for why he's wearing it. May be a quite literal instance, seeing as it starts leaking red lightning during his Instant Kill attack. Or he's wearing it to hide the glowing red eye which is the mark of a Gear, and can't hide it as well as Ky can hide his own.
- Foreshadowing: Repeatedly calls Sol "old man". REVELATOR reveals that Sol's actually Dizzy's father and by extension Sin's grandfather.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Sin's probably one of the nicer people on the character roster, once you get past his cocky attitude and brashness.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Quarter Gear (except he's a little more than that, considering it's heavily implied that Ky is at least part Gear).
- The Heart: Despite being a tad naive, he acts as this role in Xrd. Compared to the more objective Sol and Ky, Sin serves as the emotional center of their group. He's also the first to try teaching Ramlethal how to feel emotions, and keeps having to step in when Sol gets too angry with either Elphelt or Ramlethal.
- Heroic Bastard: He's illegitimate, yes, but he's not that much of a bastard. Also, nobody in the kingdom knows that he actually existed.
- Heroic Build: Lampshaded by May, of all people."Oh, jeez. He's pretty ripped..."
- Human Dad Nonhuman Mom
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Sort of. In Xrd, Sin has a special meter called "Full Stomach" that goes down whenever he uses special moves. Once this meter depletes, he must eat food items to refill it and be able to use his special moves without a massive delay (though he can cheat a bit if he uses a Roman Cancel).
- Idiot Hero: Possibly justified by his age, since he's still a child by Gear standards.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses A FLAG. And as for why, the 10th Anniversary Memorial book says that some time before Overture a younger and then-weaponless Sin decided that he needed a weapon to help Sol with the bounty hunting. Sol asks what kind of weapon, and Sin gives a somewhat lengthy description that boils down to "it needs to be flashy and attention-gathering", to which an unamused Sol tells Sin to go wave a flag or something... advice that Sin took seriously.
- Simple Staff: Oddly enough, Sin has the flag rolled up in Xrd, which effectively turns the flag pole into one of these. It's much more practical looking as a result, and he only unfurls it after he's won a match..
- In the Blood: He inherited his father's lightning element, though he denies it and claims that it's his mother's power.
- I Have No Father: Subverted because he considers Sol to be his dad, whom is actually his grandfather, not that Sin knew that.
- It Runs in the Family: Sol himself pointed out that he's as loud as Ky and he can be just as brash as his grandfather, Sol.
- Meaningful Name: His name is probably reference to the fact that he is the offspring of a human and a Gear.
- Momma's Boy: Dizzy had to take a good part of his upbringing due to Ky's work, so Sin adores his mother.
- Oedipus Complex: "This is my real power! MY MOTHER'S POWER!" Which he "displays" to Sol by using Ride the Lightning.
- However, he doesn't exactly hate everything Ky stands for and gives him some respect, despite dear old dad not being around to guide him. Xrd shows how Sin can be a bit more cordial when dealing with Ky as his way to fix their relationship. The icing on the cake comes with him calling Ky "Dad" during their reunion with Dizzy.
- Power-Up Food: Sin's game mechanic. He must scarf down food that he pulls out of Hammerspace to keep his stamina up. He can even eat the chocolate bars and donuts that Faust tosses.
- Rapid Hair Growth: He claims he has to cut his hair every three days to keep it from getting long. Probably a side-effect of being a Gear.
- Rebel Prince
- Sarashi: The leather midriff part is this, basically.
- Secret Character: Per se. In Xrd, unlocking Sin requires that the player buy him in the gallery for 200,000 World Dollars... or purchasing him with actual money. It's not completely terrible, seeing as going through Story Mode gets you about 100,000 World Dollars.
- Shock and Awe: Like father, like son. Just don't tell him that. However, Sin's lightning is red, possibly indicating his tutelage under Sol or that his lightning is not as refined as Ky's.
- Turn Out Like His Father: Subverted. Though he inherited Ky's power and some part of his personality, Sin is informal, occasionally foul-mouthed and carefree like Sol.
- Double Subversion as Xrd Revelator revealed Sol is his grandfather. Sol is an intelligent scientist, but Sin ended as a simple-minded individual and barely literate. And Word of God states that Sol's half-assed upbringing is to blame for that, since Sol half-asses pretty much everything.
- In Xrd Sin displays some of cheerful innocence similar to his mother, Dizzy.
- Unskilled, but Strong: He doesn't have much actual skill, seeing as though he expends sooo much energy using specials that he needs to eat mid-battle in Xrd. That said, he can break through several mountains, and cause an electrically-charged nuclear explosion.
- Willfully Weak: Or so he claims, anyway.
- Younger Than They Look: Like Dizzy before him, he's 2-5 years old but looks around 15.
- "A person who won’t fight when a friend is in need is not a coward. There's a different word for that...A Chicken Breast! And I am no chicken breast, sir!"
A jovial fox spirit created in the Backyard. He lives in (and was previously exiled to) a pocket dimension of the Backyard called the "Yomotsu Hirasaka" or Underworld Hill in English. He first appears to Sol and Sin when they are first attacked by Valentine's servants. Izuna doesn't usually fight, but then reveals that he can fight perfectly well and has much knowledge of magic, much to Sol's annoyance. Like Anji, he appears to be fond of getting information.
- Badass Army: His Youkai family.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Very easygoing and fun to be around.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Loves doing accents, especially of Elvis.
- Cat Girl: His Nekomatas.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He can hold his own perfectly well.
- Older Is Better
- Put on a Bus: Hasn't been seen since his debut game.
- Put on a Bus to Hell: Unfortunately, -REVELATOR- implies that he might not be coming back anytime soon, as several characters as well as his entry in the GG World mode imply that the Universal Will has done something to him.
- Samurai: Can also be classified as a McNinja.
- The Trickster: He's a fox spirit, after all.
- Trickster Mentor: He single handedly teaches Sol and Sin Overture's gameplay.
- Youkai: He and his faction.
- "I am a dragon, sir, not a bird. As this is a time of crisis I will let your insult pass, but I hope not to see you make the same mistake in the future!"
Voiced by: Yuji Mikimoto / Michael McConnohie
The leader of a group of animal-type Gears on a remote island called Ganymede. Paradigm is a
bird dragon-like Gear who is a brilliant strategist and tactician who also has an immense knowledge of magic. He hates humans at first for their treatment of Gears, but then realizes that not all Humans Are Bastards when he allies with Ky, who makes him the ambassador for Gears in the end.
He's currently trying to figure out how to break the seal on Dizzy.
- Badass Army: His Gears, who have a interesting "civilized nature with technology" aesthetic.
- Badass Bookworm: He even has his own magic scrapbook.
- Big Damn Heroes: He and Ky show up with an army in tow to bail out Sol's party.
- Big "WHAT?!": His reaction when Ky Kiske declared his love for the frozen maiden, which is the Key Valentine is searching for, the backup of Justice and a powerful Gear who's supposed to be dead. His brain seemingly suffered a stroke when the king also revealed he and his lover are Sin's parents.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Paradigm doesn't take kindly to being called a "bird". Sol doesn't care and calls him that anyway.
- Humans Are Bastards: His thoughts at first, and fairly justified since he's had to avoid human contact in order to simply survive; -REVELATOR-'s Story Mode mentions that, even though Ky can prove that Dr. Paradigm and his group of Gears helped prevent the first Valentine from destroying the world, revealing that fact would cause Ganymede to be mercilessly bombed into oblivion by multiple governments, since its residents are all Gears.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Doesn't realize very quickly that his teammates are the only people who are trying to CHANGE that situation.
- Insistent Terminology: For the last time, it's dragon!
- Innocently Insensitive: Accuses Ky of using the Maiden of the Grove as a weapon. Fairly reasonable from the Doctor's perspective, as it's a king trying to prevent a very powerful Gear from being destroyed. Turns out... It's Dizzy, Ky's WIFE, and Sin's mother! Very much not a weapon.
- Squishy Wizard: He's capable of high level magic that even Sol can't do but he has the smallest health in the roster of Overture.
- Token Evil Teammate: More pragmatic then evil, but he's still the one who advocates the darkest solutions.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: His gameplay is strange in that he doesn't physically attack you, but he hurls boulders at you.
- A Wizard Did It: Pretty literally in this case. Dr. Paradigm can only breathe underwater. So in Overture, he always resides in a magic bubble of water. In Xrd he no longer needs it when Sin suggests he "just magically made himself breathe air." It took Paradigm a grand total of two minutes to rid himself of the bubble.
- "Why is it? I don't get it. Can I not perform well unless I understand 'feelings'?"
Voiced by: Chie Sawaguchi / Wendee Lee
The Antagonist of Guilty Gear 2: Overture. She is obsessed with obtaining a certain "Key" that will allow her to enter the Backyard and cause the undoing of the universe. She is completely emotionless, and has eerily robotic mannerisms. She kidnaps and brainwashes Sin for a short period before extracting his DNA, and enters the Backyard. Sol stops the process of the Key turning by destroying it, which causes her to feel her first emotion: PISSED OFF. After her transformations Sol kills her, but not before realizing that she is a clone of Aria, Sol's previous lover.
- Absolute Cleavage: ...despite the fact that she has a small chest.
- Adorkable: Like with the other siblings, Valentine has this.
- Animal Motifs: Bats; the skeletal design on her hat is of a bat's wings, and her balloon weapon has small bat wings on it as well.
- Apocalypse Maiden: That Man calls her "the illegitimate child of a merciless apocalypse."
- Badass Army: Shares an undead-ish army with Raven. A lot of the units are Ugly Cute; monsters that wear ribbons and lace are still monsters.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: There's a whole lot of her in there, too. It's kind of what would happen if Studio Gainax designed a boss for the Kingdom Hearts series, and then ran the hell out of ink.
- Big Bad: Of Guilty Gear 2: Overture.
- Cloning Blues: Stated to be a clone of Aria, who is hinted to be Justice.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Dark Action Girl, yeah, but she still counts.
- Dissonant Serenity
- Emotionless Girl: In addition to Valentine herself, her campaign-only units are these with various specialties.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Fingerless Gloves
- Flawed Prototype: Posthumously considered to be this by Mother after her failure, and pinning the reason on the lack of emotions. Thus Ramlethal and Elphelt were developed with emotions in mind, though it may not look like it with the former.
- Foe Yay: With Sol, heck she looks exactly like Sol's girlfriend in past, Aria, and has memories of her.
- Considering that she might be based on Justice, who was Aria, there's a possibility of memory implantation.
- Humanoid Abomination: Alluded to by That Man.
- Improbable Weapon User: She uses a talking balloon that functions as a bazooka, a shield, spiked mace on a string, and a mode of transport. And it has a crush on her.
- Incest Is Relative: She takes a interest in Sin besides the DNA collecting, not minding that she is technically his grandmother.
- Little Miss Badass
- Mysterious Woman in Black
- My Mother Right or Wrong: Subverted because the "mother" she is referring to and her real intentions for targeting the cube remain in mystery.
I don't care about mother anymore!
- Averted in the final chapters:
- Nice Hat
- Ominous Latin Chanting: Her second theme, "Dignity."
- One-Winged Angel: She got two: The giant Justice look-alike Armor and the HUGE flying Diva fortress.
- Theme Naming: Every unit in her army is named after some kind of sweet dessert: Mille-Feuille, Candy, Charlotte, etc. Valentine also has "Sugar" and "Non-Sugar" on her gloves.
- Her move names are taken from famous traitors in history (Cassius, Brutus, Judas, etc.).
- Too Kinky to Torture
- Villainous Breakdown: She suffers this briefly before telling the heroes that they are PISSING HER OFF.
- Unstoppable Rage: Pretty much her default emotional state after the above.
- Zettai Ryouiki
- "I am, after all...not alive."
Raven is one of the mysterious allies of That Man. He is proficient in dimensional magic, and is also extremely sadomasochistic. He enjoys both causing and receiving pain immensely, even going so far as to charge headlong into attacks just for the stimulation. He and Axl Low cannot exist in the same dimension as one another, but they are not parallel existences of each other, so the reason for this has yet to be explained.
The 10th Memorial Book reveals that Raven is of German descent, and that he is a "natural immortal" due to a genetic anomaly. He was an accomplished warrior during the 12th century and took part in many battles of the Crusades. His first death occurred in an attempt to retake Jerusalem. The enemy had anticipated their moves and slaughtered all of his comrades, except him. Raven was shot with arrows and stabbed repeatedly, but instead of dying he found himself trapped within a strange cylindrical space surrounded by predatory birds. The sensation of their stares boring into him soon became the sensation of thousands of needles piercing his body. And so Raven survived, continuing to linger on for 2,000 years. He grew bored with life, and one day drove a spike into his forehead out of despair. That spike remains bored through his skull to this day. That Man approached him not long afterward, and made him an offer to become "a witness to history". Raven had, at long last, found a purpose in his eternal life, and accepted That Man's offer.
Originally a DLC character for Overture, he later appears as an Arcade Mode NPC in -REVELATOR-, seeking the assistance of Sol's group in order to search for That Man after he had been captured by Bedman. The mantle that he wore in Overture has been changed into a full-on hooded cloak, and he no longer wears a mask. His skin is no longer a pale blue or silver as it was in previous games, having now returned to a more natural color, and his right eye no longer glows blue. On February 16, 2016, He was confirmed by Famitsu as a playable character in the console version of -REVELATOR-. He has a gameplay mechanic in Excitement where he can absorb hits from foes to make several of his attacks hit harder.
- Animal Motif: Ravens. Both his name and his outfits make some sort of reference to the bird. The spike in his forehead serves as a functional beak for the whole motif.
- Ascended Extra: While he was originally just a Story Mode portrait within the fighting games, he is now a fully-playable character in the console version of Xrd -Revelator-.
- Ax-Crazy: Downplayed version. While he isn't totally crazy, and is a good guy to boot, Raven is a very sadistic and brutal fighter.
- Back from the Dead: A staple of the character, this turned him into what he is, as well as this is something he continuously experiences.
- Badass Army: Shares an undead-ish army with Valentine.
- Badass Cape: His Overture design, in which he wears a mantle shaped in the likeness of a raven's wing.
- Bishounen: Surprisingly, his face underneath his hood in Xrd shows to be that of a rather good looking human with fair skin and platinum-blonde hair.
- Black Cloak / In the Hood: His Xrd redesign, pictured above, now sees him wearing these.
- Blood Knight: When he gets into a fight, he REALLY gets into it.
- Camera Fiend: The "Something Precious" that Johnny's Treasure Hunt move steals from him in Xrd is a camera. Apparently he took That Man's advice to become "a witness to history" quite literally.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Due to his immortality, Raven has gone beyond being desensitized to pain and has learned to enjoy it. Immensely. In -REVELATOR-, he makes use of this in one of his special moves, which builds a meter for use as a comeback mechanic. Both Overdrives and various moves get improved as this meter gets higher, and his enthusiasm also gets very readily apparent.
- He even goes as far as chiding his opponents for fighting precisely or cautiously against him, as seen in his winquotes against both Johnny, Millia, and Elphelt. It always boils down to "That barely even hurt, make it hurt more next time".
- Complete Immortality: He regenerates faster than Sol's flames burn him, even going as far as to taunt the latter that he didn't even feel a twinge of warmth.
- Taken a step further in -REVELATOR- where his Instant Kill animation reveals that he can regenerate from being vaporized. The guy is just outright impossible to kill.
- Cool Mask: As of Overture, a steel mask adorns his face in a similar manner to Vega. However, it has been removed as of Xrd
- Creepy Cool Crosses: His new cloak in Xrd bears several white crosses on it, symbolizing his connection to the original Crusaders.
- Creepy Good: Despite his disturbing mannerisms in battle, Raven works with That Man in order to ensure a bright future. His likes and dislikes section on his profile state that he enjoys seeing people pursue their dreams and desires, while despising those who cannot feel love.
- Dark Is Not Evil: In spite of appearing to be the platonic ideal of an anime edgelord and his rather unsettling behavior in fights, Raven's arguably the most morally upstanding of That Man's crew (which is admittedly not saying much) and genuinely wishes to make the world a better place. His interactions with Jack-O' drive the point home further.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Suffered from this quite badly until That Man gave him purpose.
- Energy Absorption: Raven's gameplay gimmick in Xrd- using the move I Want It Here! will cause Raven to shrug off attacks and build up Excitement, increasing the power of his attacks.
- Enigmatic Minion: Raven appears to put I-No in her place, but we still don't know what he can actually do. That Man is something like this as well, except for the minion part.
- At the very least, Raven can fight interdimensionally (which he does with Faust at once point in the manga) and regenerates faster than Sol's flames can burn him as he claims to not feel the heat.
- Evil Counterpart: To Axl.
- Jossed by Word of God in the 10th Memorial book!
- Ex-Church Militant: He has the esteemed honor of being a real Crusader, whom the Sacred Knights of the Holy Order were named after when the Gear Wars started.
- Fan Disservice: He's a good looking guy, but the albino look, spike jammed in his head and blatantly sexual reactions to pain kinda kill that.
- Flash Step: During his forward run he flash steps appearing in front of his opponent.
- From a Single Cell
- Genre Motif: Death metal. Every single one of his themes has Guttural Growler vocals.
- Gratuitous German: Almost all of his specials, overdrives and Instant Kill are in German.
- Horned Humanoid: Forcefully. It's actually a spike he rammed through his skull that exits out of both sides.
- Immortality Hurts: He's in a permanent state of exhaustion.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Loves being hurt as pain is the last sensation he can feel, judging from his face when he uses his special move "Give it to me HERE"... he really loves it.◊
- Large Ham: In Overture, whenever he gets hit, Raven will loudly proclaim that it "feels GOOD!!"
- Lean and Mean: To Noodle People levels.
- Licking the Blade: Or his...finger needles?◊ .
- Living Emotional Crutch: That Man serves as one to him. Before he entered his service he wandered aimlessly filled with despair due to his immortality.
- Maniac Tongue: Let's just say he loves keeping his tongue out as much as possible in Xrd.
- Master of Illusion: He warps through dimensions and creates smoke clouds that turn into flocks of ravens as a boss-only move in Overture.
- Meaningful Name: His name is Raven, guess what his look and attacks all have the motif of.
- Mismatched Eyes: His left eye has what looks like a gold coin instead of an iris and pupil. This is in reference to the Roman practice of putting coins over the eyes of the dead; Raven considers himself half-dead, so he only has the one.
- Nigh Invulnerable: As a natural-born immortal, he cannot be harmed by any means. He still feels it, though, and loves it.
- Not Afraid to Die: Mainly due to how any death just cannot stick for Raven. He'll even egg on opponents who are doing Instant Kills on him to put their all into it.
- Orgasmic Combat: More or less a given, considering both his gameplay gimmick and the sounds he makes when hit.
- Power Trio: He is one of the three powerful servants of That Man.
- Really 700 Years Old: Was active during the Crusades in the medieval period (1200-1400), making him somewhere between 750 and 1000 years old.
- The Red Baron: "The Undying Disease".
- Rubber Man: Many of Raven's attacks show Raven stretching out his arms for long distance attacks, most noticeably his grab attacks.
- Ship Tease: A weird one with I-No. Their win quotes mention how they know exactly how to help the other get rid of pent up stress...
- Something Else Also Rises: Definitely not Played for Laughs. Whenever he gets hit during "Give it to me HERE", if you look "down there"...yeah.
- Straw Nihilist: He wandered the world maintaining this mentality before That Man gave him purpose as a witness to history. Jack-O', Haehyun, and Ramlethal all call him out on this in their winquotes against him, and in story mode he starts questioning it himself.
- The Stoic: When he isn't fighting. He is a very composed, quiet, and intellectual man.
- Taking You with Me: His Instant Kill in a nutshell. He annihilates himself and his opponent in a giant pillar of energy smiling the whole time, enjoying the pain and knowing he will regenerate anyway.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: When unmasked in Xrd.
- Too Kinky to Torture: As a result of being a complete masochist on top of being an immortal, torturing him is counter-productive. Some of his hit animations and lines implies that he enjoys getting hit. He even has a move that lets him gain "Excitement" (which is used to improve some of his attacks) by letting himself get hit. Again, his reactions to some of the other character's instant kills ranges from delighted to ecstatic.
- Trap Master: In Overture, at least, he can set gravity seeds on the ground to slow down his opponents.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Not really; he's working for That Man and gets off on pain, but is far more level-headed than the Ax-Crazy I-No and doesn't do anything without being ordered first. Also, he's actually NICE when he wants to be- at least to Jack-O' and Ram.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: A key personality trait is that he is in constant weariness from Immortality.
- Wolverine Claws: Wields two-pronged daggers attached to his middle and ring fingers as his weapons, giving him exceptional reach.