It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Characters: Detective Conan Tokyo Police Officers
open/close all folders
A police inspector, and the superior to the recurring officers of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.Mandatory naming note
: His name came from Jules Maigret
- Adults Are Useless: He depends on Shinichi/Conan to solve his cases and rarely makes any noteworthy deductions himself. As a cop, he very much goes by the rules and is not accustomed to taking a leap of faith. However, he is very useful as Shinichi's trusted police contact, granting him access to investigation sites and case info as well as some indirect influence with the police. He is also quite the Badass when given the chance, see Made of Iron below.
- Badass Moustache
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- A Father to His Men: Sato sees him this way. Her own father was a policeman who died on the job and Megure reminds her of him.
- Inspector Lestrade
- Large and in Charge
- Made of Iron: The guy gets a metal pipe to the head to protect Sonoko from a Serial Killer chasing her and isn't knocked out. And even deals a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to the culprit.
- Nice Hat: Is never ever seen without one. Even if he changes his usual clothes or winds up in the hospital, he always keeps a hat on him.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: While he's not exactly a Gonk... have you seen his wife Midori?
- May-December Romance: A May September case. When Midori was still in highschool, she met a Megure in his early 20's who was in the police team charged with the search of a Serial Killer targetting schoolgirls. She volunteered as a decoy since the first victim was her best friend, and he was charged with protecting her... They had a run-on with the killer and both were injured, which is where Megure got quite the scars on the top of his head; at the same time, Midori almost died, and was left with a very notorious one on her forehead. When they recovered, Midori told Megure that she liked him, and they got Happily Married.
An assistant inspector and the leading outgoing female of the police force.
Her developing relationship with Takagi plays as a major sidestory of the series.
- Action Girl
- Almost Kiss: Two (or three) with Takagi. After all that teasing, they finally did.
- Berserk Button: Heaven help you if you so much as lay a finger on Takagi.
- Christmas Cake: Her mom thinks she is one. She's not. Mrs. Satou still arranged her a date with Shiratori.
- Cool Big Sis
- Drives Like Crazy
- Dude Magnet: Has Takagi, Shiratori, and every other single man in her department fighting to be her boyfriend. In Shiratori's case it was because of mistaken identity, and his actual true love was Sumiko Kobayashi. And even before that revelation, Satou ultimately choose Takagi.
- Fair Cop
- Friend to All Children: Has a fondness towards kids, which might be a primary reason why she listens to Conan.
- Identical Stranger: She looks exactly like Inspector Shiratori's childhood crush, who turns out to be Kobayashi-sensei.
- Love Triangle: With Takagi and Shiratori. She chooses Takagi. Plus, Shiratori finds his true love.
- Master of Disguise: She disguises herself twice, once during an attempt murder of Genta and later to lure a murderer. Kogoro fell for it.
- Oblivious to Love: While quite a few people in this series has this, she has all of them beat; she has never once twigged to the fact that Takagi, Shiratori, and every other single man in her department find (or used to find) her attractive, often leading to humorous misunderstandings. (Especially when a mischievous Yumi shamelessly takes advantage of that cluelessness to prank the rest of the department.)
- Official Couple: With Takagi.
- Plucky Girl
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She chooses the Nice Guy over the White Prince.
- Taking the Bullet: For Ran, in the fourth movie. Which causes poor Ran a bad case of Trauma-Induced Amnesia. She almost dies, but ultimately gets better.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Look at the Berserk Button above.
A sergeant of the police force who started off as an anime-only character before getting appearances in the manga. His timid personality makes him the Butt Monkey
of sorts to the rest of the police force.
His developing relationship with Satou plays as a major sidestory of the series.Mandatory Naming Note
: See his voice actor.
- Alone with the Psycho: Episode 535, when he catches a Distress Ball. Sato calls him to his cellphone and the killer tries forcing Takagi to tell her to come... and he breaks his phone instead to cut off direct contact. The police come to his aid, but Takagi still gets shot.
- Ambiguously Brown: He looks kinda tanned in some episodes and much paler in others.
- Ascended Extra: He was originally an unnamed sidekick under Megure in the anime; later ascended to major character status.
- Canon Immigrant: On top of that, he appeared (and was named) in the anime first. In the manga, he first shows up when the Detective Boys come to the MPD to be interviewed.
- Butt Monkey: Gradually grows out of this as per Character Development.
- Cannot Spit It Out: His love for Satou. She can't spit out her feelings for him much better either.
- Did They or Didn't They?: Heavily implied to be the former in Files 806 and 867.
- Pretty much all but stated in File 869 when he thinks he got her pregnant.
- Friend to All Children: Although they sometimes make fun of him, Ayumi thinks he's cute and he's one of the few adults who actually listen to Conan and the other kids.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Invoked in Chapter 867, he mentions Satou's bed is "soft & fluffy". RIGHT. IN. FRONT. of the children!! Of course, only Conan and Haibara understand what the implications are.
- Hot-Blooded: Takagi's the standard Hot Blooded Cop, typically restrained only by his continued presence near Megure.
- Nice Guy
- Official Couple: With Satou.
- Pocket Protector: What saves his life when he's shot in the "Alone with the Psycho" incident is a thick mahjong tile that he had in his breast pocket (and which also was the evidence). Shiratori lampshades it by saying "this is so like in novels and movies."
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: The "poor" suitor, as he's middle class. He still wins.
- Second Love:To Satou.
- Talkingto Himself: On rare occasions if Takagi and Genta are in the same episode. Both share the same voice-actor in Japanese.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
An assistant inspector (later promoted to police inspector)
of the police force. Similar to Takagi, Shiratori started off as a movie-only character before being implemented into the manga.
He plays as the love-rival for Takagi towards Satou before finding out that he was chasing after the wrong woman the entire time; that woman really being Kobayashi.
- Anime Hair: ... What's up with his bangs?
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Canon Immigrant: He first appeared in the Non Serial Movies.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kobayashi-sensei. He thought that Sato was a girl he once saved years ago (and who he had liked ever since then), which sparked the Love Triangle. She actually was...not, and he lost to Takagi anyway. Some time later, the girl he liked as a child did appear and she turned out to be Kobayashi-sensei. They're together now.
- Fair Cop: Is a Police Inspector and is very good looking.
- Gentleman Detective: More like "Gentleman Inspector", but he has a gentleman personality that matches his Wine Is Classy background.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: This guy spent a better part of the series interfering with Satou and Takagi's developing relationship when he should respectfully let them alone. However, he never went as far as to murder Takagi, and always thought of him as a good cop. He eventually does stop after discovering Satou wasn't "his girl of destiny", he met as a child. That turned out to be Kobayashi-sensei. And since childhood, Shiratori has been a honest and hardworking individual, and has a love for the law in general. And after he and Kobayashi-sensei become a couple, Shiratori proves to be a good boyfriend to her.
- Love Triangle: Has feelings for Satou. So does Takagi.
- Official Couple: With Kobayashi-sensei.
- Romantic False Lead: For Satou.
- Single-Target Sexuality: For the girl he once saved. Who turned out be Sumiko Kobayashi.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Upper-Class Twit: Downplayed. Shiratori is by no means an incompetent detective or man in general. This is just the worse he can be in cases when his arrogance gets the best of him.
- Wine Is Classy: Shiratori, coming from a wealthy family background, is a wine enthusiast himself. The second OAV, "Sixteen Suspects?!", is set at his villa, which has an extensive wine cellar. A bottle of extremely rare wine is broken by one of the guests, and Conan and Hattori have to figure out who did it. In the second movie, one of the suspects is a professional sommelier, and Shiratori gets to briefly enjoy exploring their wine cellar before another murder attempt is made.
Superintendent Kiyonaga Matsumoto
A traffic cop who is on good terms with Takagi and especially Satou.
- Fair Cop
- Genki Girl
- The Prankster: Although it's not treated as a defining characteristic for her, the mischievous Yumi has been known to take advantage of Satou's Oblivious to Love nature, doing things that cause Satou to provoke panic in all the single men in their department who are attracted to her while being completely unaware she is doing so.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Selective Obliviousness: She does have a Love Interest (hinted as early as episode 427/volume 49) despite her vehement denials. Said love interest happens to be a professional shogi player who had privately decided himself as unworthy of her until he can win all seven shogi titles. Naturally, Yumi is clueless of his ambitions and the fact that he is a celebrity.
- Shipper on Deck: For Satou and Takagi. Amusing she seems to be an anti-shipper for Chiba and Naeko... because then it would make her the sole main character of Tokyo Police that is SINGLE.
- The Tease: She gets a fair deal of attention from the opposite sex, and enjoys it quite a bit.
A plump police inspector who shows up often with Takagi and Megure.Mandatory Naming Note
: Named after his voice actor.
- Big Eater: Shown a few times to be eating heavily, but being a fat character is self-explanatory.
- Big Fun: Gets along well with the Detective Boys; helps that he's a fan of reading manga and watching children's shows.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Naeko.
- Childhood Friends: With Naeko and Sakurako Yonehara. We know his current status with the former.
- Forgotten First Meeting: With Naeko.
- Nice Guy: Gets along with everyone he interacts with.
- Oblivious to Love: His romance with Naeko (see below) would have been perfect if not for one problem: he still cannot seem to recognise her as his Childhood Friend Romance!
- Official Couple: With Yumi's friend and co-worker Naeko Miike. Doubles as Childhood Friend Romance.
- Otaku: Chiba reads a manga about a pretty girl detective and it's strongly suggested by Takagi that his room is FULL of character figurines and models... to the point that it's a little creepy.
- There is a case at Chiba's house in File 450. Almost every exposed surface in the living room has figurines or other merchandise, but Conan finds it excessive rather than creepy. Chiba collection seems to be mostly superhero and kaiju related. Naturally, the detective boys love it.
- Shipper on Deck: Sato/Takagi fanboy.
- What You Are in the Dark: Strongly believes that one should always do the right thing, regardless of whether anyone watches or there will be any consequences. Otherwise, doing the wrong thing will become a habit that's hard to get rid of.
A cute rookie traffic cop who gets paired up with Yumi later in the series, and is Chiba's childhood love.