Comic Strip: This Modern World
This Modern World is a weekly comic strip/political cartoon by Tom Tomorrow AKA Dan Perkins. Appearing in various alternative newspapers around the US, and online at Daily Kos, the strip takes a very very liberal look at current events. Often stars Sparky, an acerbic sunglass-wearing penguin, and the Very Nice dog Blinky.Tomorrow has also written a (non-partisan and theoretically non-political) children's book The Very Silly Mayor.The strip's official site is here.
This Modern World contains examples of:
- Animated Adaptation: A Web Animation during the dot-com boom.
- Author Avatar: Sparky, although he sometimes interacts with Tomorrow in-strip as well.
- The Blank: In one series of strips, one of these runs for president.
- Cool Shades: Sparky's eyewear.
- Crap Saccharine World
- Cut and Paste Comic: Tomorrow uses/traces over vintage clipart to create the strip's look.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Depicted more than once.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Plutocrat Pete and Tea Party Tim both hate taxes, but Plutocrat Pete doesn't want to force the government to default, and sees Tim as a "nihilistic moron willing to crash the entire economy."
- Everything's Better with Penguins: Sparky.
- Kent Brockman News: Broadcasts of the Action McNews Network.
- Kill the Poor: One strip shows a post-apocalyptic world where the poor are fattened up on the available food and eaten by the rich.
- Straw Character: Biff, the strip's resident Republican.
- Straw Hypocrite
- Take That: Republicans and conservatives in general.
- Wall of Text: Lampshaded by the artist on more than one occasion.