UltraMantis Black is an American Professional Wrestler who competes primarily for CHIKARA, and is one of the few wrestlers, along with Icarus, Mike Quackenbush and Hallowicked, who competed on CHIKARA's first show in 2002 who are still associated with the promotion today. UltraMantis Black has also competed for Big Japan Pro Wrestling and many independent promotions.
He started as a Superhero called UltraMantis who teamed with Mister Zero. This ended at CHIKARA Pick Up or Delivery on April 9, 2004. BLK OUT (Joker and Sabian) defeated Ultra/ZERO after UM went heel and told BLK OUT, "Be my guest." After the match, UM cut a promo where he renounced ZERO, the fans, and said that he was "sick of the human species." He declared, "UltraMantis is dead. Today, UltraMantis Black is born." He then formed the team the Dark Breed with Hallowicked and they feuded with Men @ Work (Mister ZERO and Shane Storm.) UMB began suffering injuries that led to him working as a manager for his new protégé Hydra and doing commentary work.
After Hallowicked turned tecnico, UMB and Hydra formed the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple, adding Crossbones to the team. They would feud with Incoherence (Hallowicked/Delirious/Frightmare). Then came The Sordid Perils of Everyday Existence on November 17, 2007, which saw Chris Hero defeat Equinox (Vin Gerard) by escaping Quackenbush's the CHIKARA Special and making Equinox submit to it himself. It was later revealed that Shane Storm had been the one who had provided UMB with the counter for the CHIKARA Special, with UMB giving it to Hero. UMB, it turned out, had sent Hero to work for Dr. Cube in Kaiju Big Battel in exchange for Cube giving him the Eye of Tyrnote .
This ultimately backfired on UMB, as it led to Ares and Tursas showing up at the end of the 2009 Season Finale, Three-Fisted Tales and the big riot that marked the formation of the BDK. The BDK would take possession of the Eye of Tyr and use it to lure Delirious away and ultimately dismantle the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple. UMB would eventually get it back and, at The Thirteenth Hat, he used it to free Delirious from the BDK's control. Delirious grabbed it and smashed it. UMB would later form the Spectral Envoy with Hallowicked, Frightmare and Crossbones.
After going 11 years without winning a title, on November 1, 2013, he finally won his first Championship by defeating Ethan Page for the Absolute Intense Wrestling (Ohio) Absolute Heavyweight Title.
"The Great and Devious Tropes":
- Arch-Enemy: After the breakup of the Dark Breed, Hallowicked. But when Ares showed up, UltraMantis hated him so much that it lead to his reconciliation with Hallowicked.
- Characterization Marches On: His character when he first became UltraMantis Black was mostly just "guy who screams constantly." The supervillain stuff would come later.
- Cult: The Order of the Neo-Solar Temple, since UMB hypnotized Tim Donst and convinced him that he was a member of the group.
- Dark Is Evil: His original UltraMantis was red with green trim. Once he turned heel, he started wearing black.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: One of his Finishing Moves is "Cosmic Doom."
- Evil Laugh: In his promos.
- Evil Insectoid Overlord: Ever since his initial rudo turn, this has been his gimmick.
- Finishing Move: Along with the above, the Praying Mantis Bomb.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Crossbones. Mister ZERO qualifies as well, as UMB was Best Man at ZERO's wedding.
- Implied Death Threat: At Showdown in Crisisland, July 21, 2007, he cut a promo about the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple (himself/Crossbones/Hydra)'s match with Hallowicked, Cheech and Cloudy where they promised to "do a little jig on your graves."
- Ink-Suit Actor: In Champions Of The Galaxy complete with his own trading card, the first 100 of which could be bought on CHIKARA's website.
- Jerkass: In his treatment of Crossbones, especially after Delirious was added to the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple, since UMB fawned over Delirious while ignoring or belittling Crossbones. At Aniversario Zehn, May 22, 2010, he cut a promo about how the BDK had taken everything from himnote and that he was now a single, solitary man, all while Crossbones was standing right behind him.
- Join or Die: At CHIKARA Battle of Who Could Care Less, he cut a promo before his match with MIYAWAKI where he offered him a chance to join the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple as its representative to the Orient. He said that if MIYAWAKI didn't take him up on his offer, UMB would follow him back to Japan, kill him and destroy the nation's whaling industry. He ended by invoking the trope word for word.note
- Large Ham: Crossbones excluded, he'd often have partners who didn't talk much or were hard to understand when they did, thus giving him free reign to hog the mic.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: The Thirteenth Hat, January 28, 2012, opened with a skit involving UMB using the Eye to release Delirious from the BDK's control. Delirious grabbed the Eye, smashed it, and ran off, yelling, "I REMEMBER EVERYTHING!" Delirious subsequently formed an unnamed powerstable with himself, Ophidian, and the Batiri (Obariyon, Kodama, and Kobald) and pledged to put Mantis through 2 years of Hell.
- It's been noted by some that since Mantis directly enslaved Delirious and indirectly lead to the BDK enslaving Delirious, that UMB kind of had it coming.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Possibly a case of Word Salad Title. His stable the Spectral Envoy's name would seem to mean "a ghost sent by a government to represent it in dealing with another government," even though there is nothing about the gimmick that would suggest any connection to ghosts or to governments.
- Out-Gambitted: By Ares, who had Tim Donst pose as Vokoder to retrieve the Eye of Tyr from Mantis, and then used the Eye to have Delirious injure Crossbones and destroy Mantis' Order of the Neo-Solar Temple.
- Parts Unknown: "The Black Tea Garden" and "The Sea of Capricorn" before that.
- Path of Inspiration: Long after the fall of his Order Of The Neo-Solar Temple, Delirious still accused UltraMantis Black of trying to run a false religion.
- Power Stable:
- The Dark Breed
- Sweet 'n' Sour International
- The Order of the Neo-Solar Temple (with Hydra, Crossbones, Delirious, Vökoder [Tim Donst])
- The Spectral Envoy (with Hallowicked, Frightmare, Crossbones and Blind Rage)
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Really was injured, and the prognosis was long enough that any return date would have been too far away to actually hype, so his injury was played up as being career ending so he could take as much time as he needed away from the ring and step into a manegerial role.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He wore a pink mask at some point in 2008.
- Pride: UltraMantis knew about the Eye's curse, but he believed that he was smart enough that he could out-smart it. He wasn't.
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Red Baron: "The Angry Insect Evildoer," "The Great and Devious One"
- Shout-Out: To UltraMan, of course.
- Socialism: He claims to be a socialist. When he found out that Hydra was scheduled to face MosCow the Communist Bovine (today, Dasher Hatfield) in the first round of the Young Lions Cup 2007 tournament, June 22, 2007, he told Hydra that he "could not stand by while you make a mockery of my socialist, communist and Marxist comrades!" Hydra wrestled MosCow, and lost. On Night III, the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple (UMB/Hydra/Crossbones) defeated MosCow, Player Uno and Super Xtremo, after UMB pinned Super Xtremo with the Praying Mantis Bomb. During the match, UMB refused to wrestle MosCow.
- Supervillain: Even after turning Tecnico in 2010.
- Tag Team:
- Ultra/ZERO (w/ Mr. ZERO)
- The Dark Breed (w/ Hallowicked)