A character actor born September 9, 1954 in Oxnard, California, Jeffrey Alan Combs attracted distinct fandoms for his work in four separate franchises:
- Appearing in horror films, his best-known role being Dr. Herbert West.
- Playing a number of characters in Star Trek franchise, most notably Weyoun and Shran.
- Voicing DC projects, notably in the DC Animated Universe as Vic "The Question" Sage, and in Injustice 2 as Brainiac.
- Voicing Ratchet in Transformers: Prime and Transformers: Robots in Disguise.
He starred in Re-Animator and its sequels as H. P. Lovecraft's mad scientist Anti-Hero Herbert West. Combs also appeared in Re-Animator's companion piece, From Beyond, and in many lesser Lovecraftian projects of varying quality. He's also known for portraying Edgar Allan Poe in Television films such as The Black Cat and in his critically acclaimed one-man show Nevermore.
Combs' most notable of his numerous roles in Star Trek are Weyoun (several times over) in DS9 and Shran in Enterprise. He also plays the Ferengi Brunt in DS9 as well as several one-shot roles throughout the series - in one episode of that series, he even played both Brunt and Weyoun (though the two were never onscreen at the same time). He was so well-received as Weyoun that the idea of the Vorta being clones was created specifically to bring him back.
Combs lent his voice to The Question in the DC Animated Universe, portrayed as a nervous-brilliant Conspiracy Theorist in Justice League Unlimited. (He would go on to voice two characters who work for the conspiracy, Headmaster Hayden Montag and Dr. Charles Zurn, in The Secret World.) Combs also voiced the redesigned Scarecrow in The New Batman Adventures.
Jeffrey Combs is particularly recognized for his distinctively creepy voice, which has led him to an increasing amount of work in animation over the last decade. The ironic thing? That's not his real voice. Watch any interview with Combs and you'll hear that his natural speaking voice sounds nothing like the idiosyncratic intonation and slimy tone of his "acting voice" that he uses in every single role, regardless of whether he's playing an intentionally creepy character or even a heroic badass. That's right, Jeffrey Combs has been vocally typecast.
Now has a Quotes page in progress.
This actor has appeared in:
- 1983 Frightmare as Stu.
- 1983 The Man with Two Brains as Dr. Jones
- 1985 Re-Animator as Dr. Herbert West
- 1986 From Beyond as Crawford Tillinghast
- 1987 Cyclone as Rick Davenport
- 1988 Cellar Dweller as Colin Childress
- 1988 Pulse Pounders as The Evil Clergyman
- 1989 Bride of Re-Animator as Dr. Herbert West
- 1991 The Pit and the Pendulum (1991) as Francisco the Inquisitor
- 1991 Trancers II as Dr. Pyle
- 1992 Doctor Mordrid as Doctor Mordrid
- 1992 Fortress as D-Day
- 1993 Necronomicon as H. P. Lovecraft
- 1996 The Frighteners as Special Agent Milton Dammers
- 1998 I Still Know What You Did Last Summer as Mr. Brooks
- 1999 House on Haunted Hill as Dr. Vannacut
- 2000 Faust: Love of the Damned as Lt. Dan Margolies
- 2003 Beyond Re-Animator as Dr. Herbert West
- 2006 Abominable as Buddy, the Clerk
- 2007 Return to House on Haunted Hill as Dr. Vannacut
- 2007 The Wizard of Gore as The Geek
- 2012 Would You Rather as Shepard Lambrick
- 2014 Suburban Gothic as Dr. Carpenter
- 1987 Beauty and the Beast as Python
- 1989 Freddy's Nightmares as Ralph
- 1989 Life Goes On as Burk Clifton
- 1989 Hunter as James Wilkins
- 1991 The Flash as Jimmy Swain
- 1994 Babylon 5 as Harriman Gray
- 1994-99 Star Trek: Deep Space Nine as Weyoun, Brunt
- 1997 The New Batman Adventures as Scarecrow
- 2000 Star Trek: Voyager as Penk
- 2001-05 Star Trek: Enterprise as Shran
- 2002 The Twilight Zone as Harry Radditch
- 2003 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation as Dr. Dale Sterling
- 2003 Spider-Man: The New Animated Series as Dr. Zellner
- 2004-06 Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! as Gyrus Krinkle
- 2005-06 Justice League Unlimited as The Question
- 2005 Masters of Horror as Edgar Allan Poe
- 2005-07 The 4400 as Dr. Kevin Burkhoff
- 2008 Cold Case as Sly Borden
- 2009 Batman: The Brave and the Bold as Kite Man
- 2010-13 Transformers: Prime as Ratchet
- 2010-11 Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated as Professor Hatecraft
- 2010-12 The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as The Leader
- 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as The Rat King
- 2012 Thundercats as Soul Sever
- 2013 DC Nation: Doom Patrol as Chief
- 2014 Criminal Minds as John Nichols
- 2014 Ben 10: Omniverse as Kuphulu
- 2015 Gotham as Office Manager
- 2015 Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. as Mainframe
- 2016 Transformers: Robots in Disguise as Ratchet
- 2019 Creepshow as Kommandant Reinhard Schmelzgerat
- 2021 Star Trek: Lower Decks as AGIMUS
- 2003 Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu as The Scarecrow
- 2012 The Secret World Charles Zurn and Hayden Montag
- 2017 Injustice 2 as Brainiac
- 2018 LEGO DC Super-Villains as The Scarecrow and Kite Man (reprising his roles from The New Batman Adventures and Batman: The Brave and the Bold respectively)
- 2001 Poseidon's Fury as Lord Darkenon