Holly Marie Combs (born December 3, 1973 in San Diego, California) is an American actress who was first noticed as Kimberly Brock on Picket Fences, after an uncredited scene with Tom Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July, and is currently on the TV version of Pretty Little Liars. But she is probably best known as Piper on Charmed.
She has three sons with ex-husband David Donoho, and is currently married to her third husband, Mike Ryan.
- 1985 Walls of Glass - Abby Hall
- 1988 Sweet Hearts Dance - Dens Boon
- 1989 New York Stories - Helena
- 1989 Born on the Fourth of July - Jenny Turner
- 1991 Nobody Can Hear You Scream - Melinda Ashwood
- 1992 Simple Men - Kim Fields
- 1992 Dr. Giggles - Jennifer Campbell
- 1992 Chain of Desire - Diana Richards
- 1995 A Reason to Believe - Sharon Digby
- 1995 Evil in the Basement - Karen Ford
- 2001 Ocean's Eleven - Herself
- 1990 Guiding Light - Louisa Young
- 1991-94 As the World Turns - Denise Jones
- 1992-96 Picket Fences - Kimberly Brock
- 1997 Relativity - Anne Pryce
- 1998-06 Charmed (1998) - Piper Halliwell
- 2010-17 Pretty Little Liars - Ella Montgomery
- 2014 Hell's Kitchen - Herself
- 2019 Grey's Anatomy - Heidi Peterson
This actress is an example of...
- As Herself: Has a cameo in the remake of Ocean's Eleven as one of the celebrities whom Brad Pitt is teaching poker.
- Dawson Casting: Just about. She was nineteen playing a high schooler in Dr. Giggles.
- Deadpan Snarker: Go look up a Piper Halliwell video on YouTube; Holly has some of the best deadpan delivery possible. Also, when she was in New York and auditioned for Picket Fences, she was told they were looking for an actress with "more heart." She quickly retorted, "If you're looking for heart, what the hell are you doing in New York?" She got the part.
- Distinguishing Mark: Has a small but noticeable split in her right eyebrow that bisects the entire shape. When she was learning how to walk, she fell and banged her head on a marble table.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Cut her hair into a fringe on camera for a scene in Sins of Silence, where her character does so to hide a bruise on her forehead.
- Executive Meddling: Inverted. The reason behind Holly getting And Starring in Charmed's credits from Season 4 was because "Holly's people" demanded it - as with Shannen Doherty's departure, Alyssa Milano was moved to first billing.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: Charmed twice:
- Holly became pregnant around the episode "The Sword In The City" so episodes resorted to tricks such as wearing lots of black and having her sitting down a lot. Notably in an episode with the Headless Horseman, Piper is the first to get decapitated. This pregnancy resulted in the season's arc being rewritten to have Chris be Piper's Kid from the Future. And once Piper became pregnant in the show, the next episode had a Time Skip of about six months.
- She was pregnant again in the eighth season. This one wasn't written in, so loose clothing and lots of black were used.
- Older Than They Look: She's 44 and doesn't really look any different than she did on Charmed. Hell, she doesn't look that different than when she was on Picket Fences, and she was in her early 20's then.
- Old Shame: She regrets going topless for A Reason To Believe
- The Other Marty: She replaced Jean Louisa Kelly right before the pilot of Pretty Little Liars.
- Playing Gertrude:
- On Charmed she was the youngest of the actresses but played the oldest sister from Season 4 onwards.
- In Pretty Little Liars she plays the mother of Lucy Hale, yet is only fifteen years older than her.
- Reality Subtext: Piper and Prue were closer to each other than Phoebe - reflecting that Holly and Shannen Doherty were best friends in real life. Piper is more cut up about Prue's death in Season 4, paralleling Holly's desire to want to leave after Shannen did.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The first time she became pregnant during production on Charmed, her condition was written into the show. Eventually. They had her hiding behind boxes as so forth until roughly her third trimester.
- Star-Making Role: Picket Fences won her critical acclaim and a Young Artist Award.
- Urban Legend of Zelda: IMDB says she has an uncredited appearance in The Craft but no one has been able to identify her in it as of yet.
- What Could Have Been: IMDB listed her in the cast list for the live-action Tekken movie, playing Michelle Chang. She never starred in the movie, and Michelle wasn't featured at all. It's unknown if this was a clerical error or she was just dropped.