Robert Lane Saget (May 17, 1956 - January 9, 2022) was an American comedian and actor known for diabetes-tasting family-friendly television and scatological standup performances. After mild success as a standup comic and some television hosting, he was cast on the television series Full House as single father Danny Tanner. He also took up hosting America's Funniest Home Videos.
After Full House ended, he did some less family-oriented work, like directing the Norm MacDonald comedy Dirty Work and cameoing in Half Baked to deliver the memetic (largely due to the fact that it's Bob Saget saying it) line "Marijuana's not a drug, I used to suck dick for coke!"note
Saget later appeared in the documentary The Aristocrats, delivering one of the filthiest versions of the joke in the film, and toured with a filthy standup act which was filmed by HBO as That Ain't Right. He appeared on Entourage, spoofed March of the Penguins with Farce of the Penguins and was roasted by Comedy Central.
On January 9, 2022, Saget was found unresponsive in an Orlando hotel room by employees while he was in the midst of doing a stand-up tour. He was later pronounced dead at the age of 65. His cause of death was later determined to be a brain hemorrhage caused by a fall that severely injured his head.
Bob Saget provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adam Westing: On Saturday Night Live, Saget gives an autograph to a child fan (though the "autograph" turns out to just be a string of dirty words since Saget was exhilarated to be on a show where he could actually use them), who asks for his pen back afterwards; Bob refuses, then reveals that the interior of his jacket is lined with pens stolen from the many kids who sought his autograph.
- Bob's whole career since Full House was basically him Adam Westing his family-friendly image with both his standup and playing foul-mouthed, dirty fictionalized versions of himself.
- He adopted Jamie Kennedy's "Rollin' with Saget" as his theme song, streaming it on his website and playing at his stand-up performances.
- And That's Terrible: "You're applauding that? What is wrong with you? You need to seek help."
- Band of Brothers: He, John Stamos, and Dave Coulier became close friends during Full House, and were known to hang out together anytime they could, all the way up until Saget's death.
- Beware the Nice Ones / I Am Not Spock: If your grandmother liked Full House, keep her away from Bob's standup specials.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: In That Ain't Right, Bob goes on a long riff to randomly-picked audience member Jared, warning him about the dangers of fucking various animals, including goats, ostriches, turtles, and porcupines.
- He enters his Comedy Central roast in an elevator preceded by two hot girls, an elderly woman, and a goat. Saget's first act is to zip up his fly and to mime to the goat to call him.
- Black Comedy: To the point where anyone who only knew him as Danny Tanner would be surprised by his bleak style of humor.
- Drives Like Crazy: Saget did a PSA about cell phone usage and driving with him primarily Driving Like Crazy because he was talking on the phone.
- Hidden Depths: Despite being primarily a blue comedy-style comic, he directed movies (besides Farce of the Penguins).
- Back in his college days at Temple University, Saget directed a student movie called Through Adam's Eyes which earned him a Student Academy Award.
- Later, he directed a Direct-to-TV movie called For Hope which is a movie inspired by his sister's struggle and defeat over scleroderma. To add to the movie, he founded and was one of the board members for the Scleroderma Research Foundation. This shows just how damn serious he was about scleroderma.
- Ho Yay: "I still don't know what the premise of the show is. Three guys living together in San Francisco? Draw your own conclusion."
- Played with when he breaks out the guitar and sings "Danny Tanner is Not Gay".
- Hollywood Tourette's: "I did so much family television that I got Tourette's."
- I Banged Your Mom: Explaining why he "doesn't like" the term "motherfucker."
- Jailbait Taboo: Invoked in his short on Dangerfield's."I'll be marrying my girlfriend of 12 years. (Beat) That's her age. I'm going to jail."
- Laughing at Your Own Jokes: He tended to do this in his stint as the host of America's Funniest Home Videos.
- Leit Motif: "Rollin' with Saget", naturally.
- Lemony Narrator: Of How I Met Your Mother.
- Mood Whiplash: While he wasn't especially fond of the wholesome image he got from Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos, Bob at least enjoyed the reactions he got from people who only knew him as wholesome sitcom dad Danny Tanner when they realized he was a very vulgar comic as well.
- N-Word Privileges: Made jokes poking at his Jewish background."John and I see this woman's car get hit, and it spun around, like three times, and I made a wish, which is what I do when I see something spinning. And then I sang 'The Dreidel Song'."
- Professional Wrestling: He served as the Commissioner for CHIKARA in 2006-2007. Because pulling your opponent's mask off is a disqualification under the promotion's rule system, at Young Lions Cup IV Night III, June 25, 2006, he announced that at the next Hellertown show (The Crushing Weight of Mainstream Ignorance) on July 22, Icarus would have to put his hair on the line against Jigsaw's mask, leading to the second quote above.note On a larger scale, he and UltraMantis Black made a deal to send Chris Hero to wrestle for Dr. Cube, the Big Bad of Kaiju Big Battel, in exchange for Cube giving Mantis the Eye of Tyr, a Norse Mythological artifact that can be used to control minds. This would lead to the formation of Die Bruderschaft des Kreuzes at the end of the 2009 Season Finale Three-Fisted Tales on November 22, 2009, which was just one of the ways the Eye of Tyr would backfire on Mantis.
- The Roast: Was roasted by Comedy Central.
- Shout-Out: On Friends, Rachel isn't reminded of Ross when seeing Russ, she's reminded of Bob Saget.
- Toilet Humour: That Ain't Right features lighting farts, an examination of the potential literal meaning of the phrase "fuck that shit", a man from Spain getting his head stuck up an elephant's ass, and that time where Bob got garlic diarrhea after eating at The Stinking Rose and then used it to kill a vampire.
- Troll: Saget was known to be one of the biggest pranksters in Hollywood. Stand-up comedian Brad Williams (who is a dwarf) once related the story of how Saget asked if he wanted to meet John Stamos; when Williams (who had grown up watching Full House) responded enthusiastically, Saget then informed him that Stamos had achondrophobia — a fear of dwarfs. Williams was thrilled to be in on the joke, then waited until Saget had distracted Stamos before running into the room and humping Stamos' leg, which led to Stamos screaming in terror and Saget ending up on the floor because he was laughing so hard.
- Unusual Euphemism: Weird example. Instead of having one, he is one - The Tourettes Guy was known for shouting "OH, BOB SAGET!" in place of a swear word. Saget wasn't the biggest fan.
- Vulgar Humor: Necessitated by having to deliver diabetes-tasting jokes for such a long time on Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos.And, Action! "Okay, Michelle, you can't have a horse in the house." And, cut! "COCK SHIT FUCK!"