Robert Lane Saget (born May 17, 1956 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a comedian and actor known for diabetes-tasting family friendly television and scatological standup performances. After mild success as a standup comic and some television hosting, he was cast on the television series Full House as single father Danny Tanner. He also took up hosting America's Funniest Home Videos.
After Full House ended, he did some less family-oriented things, like directing the Norm MacDonald comedy Dirty Work and cameoing in Half Baked to deliver the memetic (largely due to the fact that it's Bob Saget saying it) line "Marijuana's not a drug, I used to suck dick for coke!"note
Saget later appeared in the documentary The Aristocrats, delivering one of the filthiest versions of the joke in the film, and toured with a filthy standup act which was filmed by HBO as That Ain't Right. He appeared on Entourage, spoofed March Of The Penguins with Farce of the Penguins and was roasted by Comedy Central.
He also narrates How I Met Your Mother.
Bob Saget provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adam Westing: On Saturday Night Live, Saget gives an autograph to a child fan (though the "autograph" turns out to just be a string of dirty words since Saget was exhilarated to be on a show where he could actually use them), who asks for his pen back afterwards; Bob refuses, then reveals that the interior of his jacket is lined with pens stolen from the many kids who sought his autograph.
- Bob's whole career since Full House has basically been him Adam Westing his family-friendly image with both his standup and playing foul-mouthed, dirty fictionalized versions of himself.
- And That's Terrible: "You're applauding that? What is wrong with you? You need to seek help."
- Beware the Nice Ones / I Am Not Spock: If your grandmother liked Full House, keep her away from Bob's standup special.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: In That Ain't Right, Bob goes on a long riff to randomly-picked audience member Jared, warning him about the dangers of fucking various animals, including goats, ostriches, turtles, and porcupines.
- He enters his Comedy Central roast in an elevator preceded by two hot girls, an elderly woman and a goat. Saget's first act is to zip up his fly and to mime to the goat to call him.
- Black Comedy
- Drives Like Crazy: Saget did a PSA about cell phone usage and driving with him primarily Driving Like Crazy because he was talking on the phone. Somehow, people found that funny.
- Hidden Depths: Despite being primarily a blue comedy-style comic, he has directed movies (besides Farce of the Penguins).
- Back in his college days in Temple University, Saget directed a student movie called Through Adam's Eyes which earned him a student achievement award.
- Later, he directed a Direct-to-TV movie called For Hope which is a movie inspired by his sister's struggle and defeat over scleroderma. To add to the movie, he founded and is one of the board members for the Scleroderma Research Foundation. This shows just how damn serious he is about scleroderma.
- Ho Yay: "I still don't know what the premise of the show is. Three guys living together in San Francisco? Draw your own conclusion."
- Played with when he breaks out the guitar and sings "Danny Tanner is Not Gay".
- Hollywood Tourette's: "I did so much family television that I got Tourette's."
- I Banged Your Mom: Explaining why he "doesn't like" the term "motherfucker."
- Jail Bait: Invoked in his short on Dangerfield's."I'll be marrying my girlfriend of 12 years. (Beat) That's her age. I'm going to jail."
- Laughing at Your Own Jokes: He tended to do this in his stint as the host of America's Funniest Home Videos.
- Leit Motif: "Rollin' with Saget", naturally.
- Lemony Narrator: Of How I Met Your Mother.
- Mood Whiplash: While he isn't especially fond of the wholesome image he got from Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos, he at least enjoys the reactions he gets from people who only know him as wholesome sitcom dad Danny Tanner when they realize he's actually a very vulgar comic as well.
- N-Word Privileges: Makes jokes poking at his Jewish background."John and I see this woman's car get hit, and it spun around, like three times, and I made a wish, which is what I do when I see something spinning. And then I sang 'The Dreidel Song'."
- Professional Wrestling: He served as the Commissioner for CHIKARA in 2006-2007. Because pulling your opponent's mask off is a disqualification under the promotion's rule system, at Young Lions Cup IV Night III, June 25, 2006 , he announced that at the next Hellertown show (The Crushing Weight of Mainstream Ignorance) on July 22, Icarus would have to put his hair on the line against Jigsaw's mask, leading to the second quote above.note On a larger scale, he and UltraMantis Black made a deal to send Chris Hero to wrestle for Dr. Cube, the Big Bad of Kaiju Big Battel, in exchange for Cube giving Mantis the Eye of Tyr, a Norse Mythological artifact that can be used to control minds. This would lead to the formation of Die Bruderschaft des Kreuzes at the end of the 2009 Season Finale Three-Fisted Tales on November 22, 2009, which was just one of the ways the Eye of Tyr would backfire on Mantis.
- The Roast: Was roasted by Comedy Central.
- Shout-Out: On Friends, Rachel isn't reminded of Ross when seeing Russ, she's reminded of Bob Saget.
- Toilet Humour: That Ain't Right features lighting farts, an examination of the potential literal meaning of the phrase "fuck that shit", a man from Spain getting his head stuck up an elephant's ass, and that time where Bob got garlic diarrhea after eating at The Stinking Rose and then used it to kill a vampire.
- Vulgar Humor: Necessitated by having to deliver diabetes-tasting jokes for such a long time on Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos.And, Action! "Okay, Michelle, you can't have a horse in the house." And, cut! "COCK SHIT FUCK!"