March of the Penguins (La Marche de l'empereur) is a 2005 Nature Documentary about the yearly journey of Emperor Penguins in Antarctica to mate and raise their chicks. It was originally dubbed in French but is better known for the English version narrated by Morgan Freeman, which won the 2005 Academy Award for Best Documentary.
Tropes of the Penguins:
- Creator Cameo: The photographers are seen dragging their cameras along the ice during the closing credits.
- Determinator: The penguins themselves, as well as the filmmakers, who had to endure the intense Antarctic cold for a year to make the movie in the first place.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The original French release had dubbed voices providing "dialogue" for the penguins.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: You can't have a movie titled March of the Penguins without them, after all.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Not all of the penguins are able to finish the journey, and one gets eaten by a leopard seal.