Amy Beth Schumer (born June 1, 1981 in Manhattan, New York) is an American comedian, writer, actress, and producer.
Originally coming to fame as a contestant on the NBC reality competition series Last Comic Standing in 2007, Schumer has since emerged as a major voice in American comedy, thanks in part to her sketch comedy series Inside Amy Schumer on Comedy Central.
She wrote and starred in the 2015 Judd Apatow-produced romantic comedy Trainwreck, opposite Bill Hader and Brie Larson, which was a critical and financial success. She's since written a book of humorous essays, The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo, published in 2016.
She's (distantly) related to U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer (D-New York).
- Cutting (2011)
- The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo (2016)
- Last Comic Standing (2007) as herself
- Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012) as Lacey
- Delocated (2012) as Trish
- Girls (201314) as Angie
- Inside Amy Schumer (2013present) as herself / various characters
- Bojack Horseman (2015) as Irving Jannings (voice)
- Trainwreck (2015) as Amy Townsend
- The Simpsons (2016) as Mrs. Burns (voice)
- Snatched (2017) as Emily Middleton
- I Feel Pretty (2018) as Renee Bennett
Amy Schumer provides examples of the following tropes:
- All Women Are Lustful: Not only does she have a lot of raunchy material, but the show she stars in has a Double Entendre title.
- The Danza: Whenever she does a sketch on Inside Amy Schumer where her character has a name, it's always Amy. Sometimes, the character is an exaggerated version of Schumer, at other times all they have in common is the name. Her character in Trainwreck is also called Amy.
- Dear Negative Reader: In response to the bad online reviews from her Netflix Stand up Comedy show, The Leather Special, Amy accused most of the bad reviews were actually made by "Alt-Right Trolls" to discredit her (since she's an anti-Trump feminist with blood ties to a Democratic senator who is something of the President's Arch-Enemy), even though some legitimate reviewers from official news sites gave the show negative reviews as well.
- I Am Not Pretty: Many of her stand ups and sketches deal with female self-esteem about physical appearances and sex appeal. This includes her movie I Feel Pretty. This trope has been poked at a few times: whether cracking that some girls think "I am gorgeous, I just have the wrong hairstyle" and when she cracked that Jennifer Lawrence is what she would look like if she was hot, with J.Law herself to crack, "I am not hot enough and you are not ugly enough for that joke to work."
- Refuge in Audacity: Her humor is known for this, naturally eliciting controversy among various types.
- Refuge in Vulgarity: She at times will even discuss how people find upsetting that she talks about sex and stuff.
- Star-Making Role: Trainwreck. She was known before as a TV star in Inside Amy Schumer, but this Judd Apatow film made her a household name.