Main character page can be found here.
Warning: Contains some unmarked spoilers for the series
SekhmetA minor character in Secret Vampire, though she's notable for being the very first shapeshifter to appear in the series.
- Bit Character: Her sole appearance is as a guest at Thierry's Summer Solstice party. We know very little about her, though it's hinted Ash may have dated her at some point.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Implied. Ash states that "you don't want to get her mad".
- Meaningful Name: Possibly. Shapeshifters are known to have names alluding to their animal form. Sekhmet is an Egytian goddess of war and healing, often depicted as a lioness or with the head of a lioness. This would imply Sekhmet's animal form is in fact a lioness.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's described as being "tall and lovely".
Miles NeelyMaggie Neelys older brother, whom she spends most of Black Dawn searching for after he disappears in suspicious circumstances.
- Baleful Polymorph: Sylvia turns him into a falcon shapeshifter and puts an enchanted band on his leg that doesnt allow him to turn back into a human. After Maggie finds him and removes the band, however, hes able to transform at will.
- Big Brother Instinct: Hes always looking out for Maggie; she mentions that he yells at her if she makes potentially dangerous mistakes when theyre out rock-climbing together.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: To an extent. Moments after meeting Aradia, he was compelled to help her in any way possible and was willing to risk injury or even death protecting her from Night People. He clearly has this in common with his sister.
- Cool Big Bro: To Maggie.
- Cursed with Awesome: How he sees becoming a falcon shapeshifter, saying he plans to use his newfound flying abilities to reach mountain summits a new way.
- Disney Death: Sylvia claims at the start that he accidentally fell to his death whilst they were mountain climbing, but Maggie doesnt believe her because she knows her brother would never make such an amateur mistake and because she realizes Sylvia is faking her grief. In the end, he turns out to be alive and well.
- Distressed Dude: Throughout Black Dawn, or at least Maggie is convinced hes this, refusing to believe hes dead. She rescues him in the end.
- Living MacGuffin: A large chunk of the plot in Black Dawn is Maggie searching for him, refusing to believe hes dead as Sylvia and Delos claim. As it turns out, shes right.
- Shapeshifting Lover: An interesting example. Sylvia intentionally has him turned into a falcon shapeshifter and uses magic to keep him in this shape, in order to always keep him close to her and under control. His sister Maggie breaks the spell in the end although hes still a shapeshifter, he can transform of his own free will.
- So Proud of You: Towards Maggie when she succeeds in rescuing him from the Dark Kingdom, saying he knew shed come for him.
The main protagonist of Witchlight. She is a panther shapeshifter and one of Circle Daybreak's top agents, assigned to find and protect Iliana in time for her Arranged Marriage to Galen Drache. However, matters are complicated when Keller turns out to be Galen's soulmate.
- Abusive Parents: See Parental Abandonment.
- Action Girl: She's one of Circle Daybreak's top agents and always throws herself into the front lines without hesitation.
- Action Girlfriend: A bit of one to Galen.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Shes usually all-business and not a cuddly sort of person, bordering on Jerkass at times, with black hair. She becomes a bit friendlier towards the end.
- Animal Motif: The black panther (her animal form). She's said to look "like a half-tamed panther" even in her human form.
- Beast Man: Resembles this when shes partially transformed.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her by her first name.
- Betty and Veronica: She's the Veronica to Iliana's Betty for Galen.
- Blood Brothers: Iliana declares them blood sisters after performing a blood tie with her.
- Broken Bird: Considering the way she was treated in her early years, it's not all that surprising she has issues trusting people or letting them be close to her; it's also implied she views herself as being unworthy of love to an extent.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Gender Flip version with Galen, she being the Brooding Girl to his Gentle Boy.
- Byronic Hero: A rare female version. She's jaded, brooding and prone to angry outbursts, claims to not give a damn whilst actually possessing a strong and unwavering moral code, willing to risk severe injury or death to achieve her goals, has a Dark and Troubled Past that has a lot to do with her current cynicism and is rather angst-ridden and conflicted over her growing feelings for Galen.
- Catchphrase: "I'm just a grunt".
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She becomes less aloof and standoffish over the course of Witchlight, mostly due to Galen and Iliana.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": She's not keen on her first name, due to it meaning "demon".
- Fire-Forged Friends: Eventually with Iliana.
- Good Is Not Nice: She can be quite rude and hostile, but is ultimately a good-hearted person. She eventually becomes a fair bit friendlier as well.
- Good Is Not Soft: Keller isn't exaggerating when she describes herself as a predator, trying to rip out an opponent's throat with her teeth.
- Gray Eyes: Her eyes are gray, befitting her somewhat cold and unapproachable demeanour, as well as her strong will.
- Hot-Blooded: When she's not being sullen and aloof, she's charging into battle, yelling at people for one reason or another and generally comes across as stubborn, strong-willed and opinionated.
- Inconvenient Attraction: Keller considers her soulmate bond to Galen to be extremely inconvenient, both because she thinks Love Is a Weakness and because he's already betrothed to Iliana, the marriage pact being integral to the alliance between the Draches and Harmans. Even when she starts to accept her feelings for him, it only causes her more pain because she knows they can't be together.
- Interclass Romance: With Galen. She's an ordinary shapeshifter while he's a prince.
- Knight In Sour Armor: What she actually is despite her claims of being a Punch-Clock Hero; as tough and cynical as she is, she does actually care she just doesnt like to admit it because she thinks Love Is a Weakness.
- Last-Name Basis: She's very rarely called by her first name.
- The Leader: Of the team in Witchlight; a tough, headstrong, no-nonsense Action Girl who commands respect and always finishes what she started.
- Long Lost Sibling: According to Word of God, Rashel and Keller are twins Separated at Birth.
- Love Is a Weakness: Keller's motto. She changes her mind by the end.
- Meaningful Name: Her first name comes from the rakshasa, creatures found in Hindu mythology who can shapeshift. The word itself comes from a Sanskrit term translating as "protect", possibly alluding to her protector role in Circle Daybreak and as Iliana's bodyguard.
- Only in It for the Money: Claims this is her motivation, but Galen calls her out on it, stating that someone wouldnt be willing to go to the lengths she does to achieve her goals, including nearly getting herself killed repeatedly, simply for money. The level of devotion she shows to Circle Daybreak and her teammates suggests otherwise, too.
- Opposites Attract: With Galen. She's an abrasive Knight in Sour Armour, while he's a kind and gentle Ideal Hero.
- Pale Females, Dark Males: A rare inversion. Keller's animal form is a melanistic leopard, whilst her soulmate Galen is a more typically-coloured golden leopard.
- Parental Abandonment: Because of the fact that she couldn't control her shifting (especially when she was frightened) her mother (or possibly her father) left her in an cardboard box like someone would for kittens and puppies, stuck in her half and half form with a note basically saying that she is unloved and will always be alone. And it didn't even end there. She got fostered by someone who worked with Circle Daybreak, but they palmed her off on someone else after she inadvertently scratched them, even though she clearly never meant to do it and she was just a child at the time.
- Punch-Clock Hero: Subverted. She tries to act like she only does what she does for money and out of gratitude to Circle Daybreak for taking her in as a kid, but it becomes clear she actually does care about helping people (which she accepts by the end).
- Recruited from the Gutter: A near-literal example. She is very loyal to Circle Daybreak because they rescued her after she was abandoned by her parents as an infant.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: As an infant and young child, she would get stuck between her human and panther forms due to lacking the ability to control her powers. She was actually abandoned by her parents in this form.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She eventually falls for Galen because he's a genuinely very kind and sensitive boy, who often tells her You Are Better Than You Think You Are.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Her aloofness and Jerkass behaviour is a cover for her pain over her past and fear of being hurt again if she lets anyone in.
- Tsundere: Has shades of this, with her default personality as "tsun tsun", though she gradually shows more "dere" traits.
- Altar Diplomacy: In Witchlight, the family seeks an alliance with the Harmans (and by extension all the witches and Circle Daybreak) by marrying Prince Galen to the Witch Child, the lost Harman destined to be a Wild Power.
- Dragon Ancestry: All the Draches are descended from dragon shapeshifters, though it's unknown if they themselves could still shapeshift into a dragon form.
- Meaningful Name: Their surname is German for "dragon".
- Royalty Superpower: Members of the Drache bloodline have some abilities and traits different from ordinary shapeshifters, due to being descended from dragons. One such ability is being able to telepathically communicate with animals, including other shapeshifters while they're in their animal forms. Another unique trait they possess is that they aren't born with a specific animal form and can choose for themselves; they do this by making physical contact with an animal when they consciously choose to shapeshift for the first time. However, once they've made their choice, they're stuck with that animal form permanently, so they have to choose carefully.
One of the secondary protagonists of Witchlight. He is a prince of the First House of the Shapeshifters, who hasn't yet chosen his animal form. He's meant to be marrying Iliana Dominick to secure an alliance, only for it to turn out he is the soulmate of Raksha Keller, Iliana's bodyguard.
- Actually, I Am Him: A variation. For the first few chapters of Witchlight, Keller reluctantly lets him tag along with her team because he's the only one Iliana trusts. She makes it plain she doesn't want him around and views him as being The Load, berating him for getting in the way and not giving him a chance to explain who he really is. When Grandma Harman turns up to meet Iliana, she insists Keller work with Galen; when she tries to protest that Galen is not "involved", she is finally informed by him that he's actually the prince of the First House of the Shapeshifters whom Iliana is meant to be marrying, much to her shock and embarrassment.
- Amazon Chaser: He seems to like Keller's courage and combat prowess, though he's disturbed and upset by her apparent disregard for her personal safety when she fights; he also finds her panther form beautiful. On one occasion, he avoids touching her while she's a panther and keeps rubbing his hand on his leg after accidentally brushing against her; she assumes it's because he finds her repulsive, but he later confesses it's because he was trying to resist the urge to stroke her fur, thinking she wouldn't much appreciate it.
- Arranged Marriage: With Iliana. Fortunately, it's later averted, leaving him free to be with Keller.
- Better as Friends: He comes to love Iliana, but states he's truly in love Keller, viewing Iliana in more platonic terms. In the end, Iliana is able to free them both from their betrothal and gives him her blessing to be with Keller.
- Big Damn Heroes: During the climax of Witchlight, he leaps in to save Keller by choosing to shift into a leopard.
- Boomerang Bigot: To an extent. He admits feeling somewhat ashamed of his status as shapeshifter and particularly as a Drache, due to their rather bloody history, and does his best to avoid violence. However, he starts to feel more pride in being a shapeshifter after meeting Keller and even chooses a leopard as his form, the same as her.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Gender Flip with Keller, he being the Gentle Boy to Keller's Brooding Girl.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Uncommon male example. He has golden blonde hair and is very kind and idealistic, even bordering on naive.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Downplayed in that it doesn't involve dying, but Galen is willing to go ahead with his Arranged Marriage to Iliana to secure a vital alliance with the witches, despite the fact Keller is his true love. Luckily for him, Iliana rearranges the terms of the alliance to wriggle out of the marriage pact, meaning Galen gets to be with Keller after all.
- Ideal Hero: Galen is a deeply compassionate and moral boy who only reluctantly engages in violence and encourages heroism and altruism in others.
- Interclass Romance: With Keller. She's an ordinary shapeshifter while he's a prince.
- In the Blood: Subverted. Though his family - due to being descended from dragon shapeshifters - are known to be tyrannical and bloodthirsty, Galen is very kind, gentle and largely a pacifist.
- The Lancer: To Keller. He's a rational-minded Nice Guy who tries to find diplomatic solutions, in contrast to Keller, who is more action-oriented and impulsive.
- Meaningful Name: His name nearly literally translates to 'calm dragon'.
- Morphic Resonance: He has green-gold eyes in both his human and leopard forms. Both forms also have golden hair/fur.
- Nice Guy: One of the nicest in the series. He shows compassion and respect for everyone, tends to see the best in people, tries to find diplomatic or non-violent solutions first and foremost, and goes to great lengths to help his people, even being willing to sacrifice his personal happiness for the greater good.
- Non-Action Guy: He's initially this, on account of his pacifist values, but he eventually unleashes his inner badass when pushed.
- Opposites Attract: With Keller. He's a kind and gentle Ideal Hero, while she's an abrasive Knight in Sour Armour.
- Pale Females, Dark Males: A rare inversion. Galen's animal form is a more typically-coloured golden leopard, whilst his soulmate Keller is a melanistic leopard.
- Prince Charming: He's literally compared to a fairytale prince at one point. See also Nice Guy and Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When he uses his dragon abilities.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He's a member of Circle Daybreak and actively takes part in the mission to locate and protect Iliana, his bride-to-be, in time for their betrothal ceremony.
- Warrior Prince: Though he tries to avoid violence, he's not afraid to kick some ass if he has to.
- The Wise Prince: He's an All-Loving Hero, smart, level-headed and a natural leader.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Says pretty much this to Keller when she dismissively states she's just doing her job and implies she believes her mother was right about her being unlovable, insisting she's far braver and more honorable that she realises, and is worthy of love.
The dragon princessThe founder of the Drache family in prehistoric times and the last of the dragon shapeshifters.
- Children Are Innocent: The reason the witches spared her from the fate of the other dragons was because she was "so small and weak" (she was only a toddler when the dragons were defeated). The witches instead raised her themselves in the hopes she wouldn't be as bloodthirsty and tyrannical as her brethren.
- Famous Ancestor: To the Draches, though not quite to the same extent as Hellewise to the Harmans, or Maya and Red Fern to the Redferns.
- Last of Her Kind: Due to the other dragons either being killed in the war or buried underground in an enchanted sleep, the dragon princess was the only dragon shapeshifter left in the world.
- No Name Given: She's only referred to as 'the dragon princess'.
- Orc Raised by Elves: She was born to the dragons but raised by witches.
- White Sheep: Due to her young age, she wasn't evil like the other dragons and was raised by the witches to be more peaceful and benevolent.
Kierlan DracheOne of the main protagonists of Strange Fate. He's one of Sarah Strange's soulmates and the cousin of Galen Drache. According to Word of God, he's also the fourth Wild Power. His animal form - if he's chosen one yet - hasn't been revealed.
- "Awesome McCool" Name / Meaningful Name: His first name is possibly derived from Irish Gaelic meaning "black" or "dark", potentially alluding to the line of the Wild Power prophecy that pertains to him: "One from the twilight to be one with the dark". Combined with his surname, his full name roughly translates as "black dragon" or "dark dragon".
- Childhood Friend Romance: Possibly with Sarah.
- The Chosen One: According to Word of God, he's the last Wild Power needed to defeat the darkness.
- Class Clown / The Prankster: Has shades of this. He's prone to making jokes and wisecracks and Sarah states that "everything is a joke to him". According to Sarah, he once flipped a girl's skirt in public, would probably try slipping something in the punch at homecoming and would also probably deliberately spill some on an Alpha Bitch if she wore white to the dance. Apparently, Sarah and Mal have to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't go too far.
- Friendly Rivalry: Seems to have a bit of one with Mal, especially in regards to Sarah.
- Love Triangle: He's stated as being one of Sarah's soulmates, the other being Mal Harman.
- Really Gets Around: Implied. To put this into perspective, Ash Redfern suspects he's even more promiscuous than him.
- Those Two Guys: With Mal. They're both constantly hanging around with Sarah.
Galen's parentsThe mother and father of Galen Drache, heads of Drache family and King and Queen of the shapeshifters.
- Didn't See That Coming: Galen's father is completely thrown for a loop when Iliana announces that she won't be marrying his son, even though the marriage pact is the basis of their vital alliance. He's relieved, but still flustered, when Iliana quickly clarifies that she wants the alliance without the marriage because Galen isactually in love with Keller, whom she has declared her blood-sister.
- The Good King: Galen's father is this to the shapeshifters. He puts his people first, is stern yet open-minded and wants humans and the Night World to live in harmony. Grandma Harman, who is a rather blunt woman who doesn't suffer fools, speaks highly of him to Galen.
- Good Parents: To Galen. They are caring and supportive towards him (though they do put their people first) and they raised him to be fair and compassionate.
- The High Queen: Downplayed for Galen's mother. She doesnt get a whole lot of pagetime, but she's described as being a beautiful and regal woman who supports the alliance with Circle Daybreak.
- Look-Alike Lovers: They're both described as being regal-looking with golden or topaz colored hair.
- Minor Major Character: They're the rulers of the shapeshifter race, but the first time theyre even mentioned in the series is in Witchlight, the ninth (and second-to-last) book.
- No Name Given: Their names aren't mentioned in Witchlight.
- Open-Minded Parent: Both of them are this Galen, though his mother slightly more so. Neither of them ultimately have any problem with him not marrying Iliana - a witch princess - and instead being with Keller - an ordinary shapeshifter - as long as the alliance goes through. Galen's mother also says she thinks it's "wonderful" he chose a leopard as his animal form even though he'd been intending to choose a more 'peaceful' animal like a bird, telling him how his great-grandmother was a leopard too.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Although surprised by this unexpected turn of events, Galen's father has no problem with Iliana basing the Drache-Harman alliance on a blood-tie with Keller instead of a marriage to Galen as long as the witches agree.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: In Witchlight, they attend the Winter Solstice meeting in person to hopefully forge an important alliance between the shapeshifters and the witches and by extension Circle Daybreak, whom the witches have formally declared support for.
- Ruling Couple: Downplayed. Although Galen's father is the one who is primarily addressed during the witch-shapeshifter meeting, he made a point of bringing his wife to the meeting with him and she sits at his side throughout.
- So Proud of You: Towards Galen when they learn he helped take down a dragon.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Galen's mother is said to have green eyes and blonde hair, the same as her son. His father is blond, too.