Based on novels by Shoji Takashi, Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko is a sci-fi anime series featuring female characters. Set in the future, wars are fought differently, unlike how war originally was, which is people killing people for territory. These kinds of wars are competitive wars in which no one dies. The main protagonist of the series is Yohko Yamamoto, a girl from the 20th century who is what you call a Gamer Chick.
The show lasted on two OVA's and a 26 episode TV series which has never seen an English release of any form in North America, and the light novels were rereleased as of 2010.
- Alternate Universe: The Chronos system, while often treated as a conventional time travel device, actually links alternate universes.
- Always Someone Better: Madoka strives to be beat Yohko, but always end up as second to her. Whether in studies, sports, even as a pilot.
- Catchphrase: Yohko has one, as shown above.
- Colourful Theme Naming: The four sisters of the Red Snappers have names that mean red in different languages.
- Exty Years from Now: For the TV series, at least; released in 1999, set in 1999 and 2999.
- Forehead of Doom: Madoka's forehead frequently reflects light, complete with sound effects.
- Forgot the Call: The first episode of the TV series has Yohko suffering from this and believing herself to be an ordinary high school girl. She gets better.
- Gamer Chick: Yohko. Her skill at video games was one of the main reasons why she ended up being suited to spaceship battles.
- Grail in the Garbage: The second OVA episode features a crane game in the resort the characters visit. One of the prizes is a planetary system, and a particularly valuable one at that. The rest of the episode features the main characters fighting the Red Snappers for the right to claim the prize. Eventually a random kid wins it.
- Humongous Mecha: The entire idea of the genre is played with in episode fifteen of the series.
- Non-Lethal Warfare: All girls do battle with their spaceships. When defeated, they get transported out of the spaceship without getting killed.
- Opposite-Sex Clone: Yohko's male clone, Yohsuke. Yohsuke is actually a Bifauxnen at first, but after a certain plot point happened, Yohsuke did indeed turn into a male. Madoka wasn't amused by the revelation (that Yohsuke's a she).
- Star Fighter: The starships of the title.
- 10-Minute Retirement: Yohko goes through one in the TV series after her team battles the Red Snappers for the first time.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Momiji
- Trademark Favourite Food: Yohko and Pocky; Yohsuke and beef sausages.
- Years Too Early: In the first OVA, after Rouge describes how she'll crush the new TERRA pilot, Yohko enters proclaiming that she's 5,670,000,000 years too early to say that. During the match Rouge says that TERRA are 100,000 years too early to catch them.