open/close all folders
The Materials (マテリアル Materiaru) are programs of the "Eternal Ring" of System Unbreakable Dark (U-D) in the Portable continuity. They, along U-D, were written long time ago in the Ancient Belka, originally used to take possession of the powers of the Book of Darkness, but were sealed by the Book (probably the Defense Program) in return.The nature of the Materials is similar to that of the Wolkenritter, and their existence can slightly be felt by Reinforce in the past. However, they were not materialized until the Defense Program is destroyed. Each of their materialized forms is a copy of one of the mages who defeated the Defense Program. In The Battle of Aces, they are misidentified as three special "Dark Pieces" created by the Defense Program's regeneration. In The Gears of Destiny, it is revealed they are actually materialized due to the regeneration of the system Unbreakable Dark.
Tropes common to the Materials:
- All Your Powers Combined: In B.o.A., each Material has the skills of three mages, respectively.
- Material-S has Nanoha's long range attack power with Vita's melee and Zafira's defense skills.
- Material-L has Fate's speed in melee with Signum's weapons finesse and long-range defenses and Chrono's extensive Full Drive-enhancement skills.
- Material-D has Hayate and Reinforce's enormous mana output with Shamal's healing and restoration skills.
- Dearche gets eventually the power of Stern and Levi when they are dying in G.o.D.
- Alternate Character Reading: The Materials in Battle of Aces were originally saddled with kanji that seemed to describe what they are rather than serve as proper names. When they were announced to return in Gears of Destiny, these kanji were given katakana to show that, yes, those are their actual names: Stern the Destructor (星光の殲滅者), Levi the Slasher (雷刃の襲撃者), and Lord Dearche (闇統べる王).
- And the Adventure Continues: Material-D stated that Earth was pretty boring and not big enough for her, so they would go to Eltria with the Florian sisters, because they would have adventures there. Material-S is quick to point out that the real reason they are going there is to help restore the planet, which Yuri chose to do both to atone and to show her gratitude.
- Anti-Villain/Anti-Hero: In G.o.D.
- They and Yuri became straight heroines in Eltria.
- Badass: They are even stronger than their originals.
- Badass Adorable: All three of them have their adorable moments. And they are all lolis in a Moe franchise.
- Little Miss Badass: Their originals are nine to ten years old.
- Submissive Badass: While Stern and Levi are actually this to Dearche, all three of them are Submissive Badasses to Yuri, their sovereign.
- Breakout Character: In The Battle of Aces, even if Stern and Dearche were Final Bosses, all of them were minor enemies and palette swapped copies of the protagonists with their abilities and magic color. In The Gears of Destiny, they are major characters with their own fighting style, own magic color, own moves and developded personalities. The Materials appear as major characters in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT, and as main characters in The Gears of Destiny Drama CDs and in the gag manga Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable - The Gears of Destiny - Material Musume.
- Characterization Marches On/Divergent Character Evolution: In The Battle of Aces, all of them were Flat Characters with little personality and the same motivation; and they shared identical movesets, magic colors and poses with their originals. Material-S wasn't an Evil Genius, Material-L wasn't The Brute, and Material-D wasn't the king of the Materials. In The Gears of Destiny, Stern has become the high intelligent Lady of War, Levi the hammy Dumb Muscle Genki Girl Blood Knight, and Dearche the loud Evil Overlord with a Hidden Heart of Gold. All three of them got varied and new moves, their own poses and magic colors.
- Child Prodigy: In INNOCENT, they three of them (including Levi) skipped grades and go to middle school, despite they are the same age as Nanoha and co.
- Dark Action Girl: In G.o.D., they turn into Action Girls.
- Dark Is Evil: Subverted in G.o.D., where it turns out Dark Is Not Evil.
- Dark Magical Girl
- Death Is Cheap: They can regenerate after being killed.
- Evil Sounds Deep/Contralto of Danger: Especially since G.o.D., all of them have deeper pitched voices than their originals. But that's not the only characteristic aspect of their voices.
- Evil Twin/Palette Swap: To their originals.
- Fighting a Shadow: They have already died and revived more than once.
- Freudian Trio: Levi is the id, Dearche is the ego, and Stern is the superego.
- Grade Skipper: In INNOCENT, they skipped into middle school despite being as old as Nanoha and co. Though, not as bad as Hayate who is a university graduate.
- Heel–Face Turn: In the middle of The Gears of Destiny, all three of them have been "befriended".
- It actually started since their defeat in B.o.A., as Stern and Levi are much friendlier to the other characters since the beginning of G.o.D. and only fight them because of fun (mostly), but with no evil intentions. Dearche on the other hand took much more time to join the side of the heroes.
- Hellish Pupils: Consistent in the PSP games. In the INNOCENT manga they have normal eyes, while in artwork for their cards they have hellish pupils when transformed and no pupils at all when in civilian form.
- Humanoid Abomination: They are remnants of the Book of Darkness' berserk protection program that have taken human forms. In a way, they are similar to Hayate's guardian knights.
- It's later revealed that they are actually part of the Eternal Ring system, which exists long before the Tome of Night Sky was added to it.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: In G.o.D., after they succeed reviving U-D, she impales all of them at once.
- Happens to Stern and Levi again when they do their Heroic Sacrifice.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: First, for B.o.A, despite they are actually Secret Characters. And then, post-G.o.D. merchandises don't hide their Heel–Face Turn. Well, it's typical in this franchise after all.
- Lightning/Fire Juxtaposition: Stern and Levi are the non-rivals variety, but their personalities are the opposite to each other.
- Mook Maker: They are the core of the born Dark Pieces in B.o.A.. Beating one of them greatly reduces the number of new born Dark Pieces.
- Mythology Gag: In Material Musume, they wear the same clothes as their originals. Dearche wears Hayate's pullover, but in yellow, Stern wears Nanoha's outfit from The Movie 1st, but with different colors, and Levi wears Fate's dress from the same movie, but with long sleeves. Before that, she wears a Sacred Heart costume.
- Omnicidal Maniac: In B.o.A., they exist only to bring forth the tranquil darkness and the chaos of destruction. They get better in the sequel.
- Original Generation: They are introduced in The Battle of Aces.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Considering who their originals are, this is not surprising.
- Power Trio/Terrible Trio: Depending how you view them.
- Pure Magic Being: Like the Wolkenritter, they are living programs.
- Rule of Three: In B.o.A, each Material has the magic abilities of three mages. Three characters to unlock one Material.
- Secret Character: In B.o.A. The three Materials must be unlocked by clearing the story modes of their three "component" characters with all the Warning battles and can only be used in player vs. computer game modes.
- To unlock Material-S as a playable character, complete Nanoha, Vita, and Zafira's story routes.
- To unlock Material-L, complete Fate, Signum, and Chrono's routes.
- To unlock Material-D, complete Hayate, Shamal, and Reinforce's routes.
- The Three Faces of Adam: The three being the Gender Flipped version of this trope. Levi is the hunter, Dearche is the lord, and Stern is the prophet.
- Tsurime Eyes: All three of them, contrasting their Tareme-Eyed originals.
- The Unfought: In B.o.A., Signum and Chrono never encountered one of them in their respective routes.
- However, Signum killed Material-D in Hayate's route, and both routes were "compatible" with each other since Signum's last battle in the incident was at the evening, and Hayate's battle was at night. Material-D's death by the hands of Signum is revealed to be canon in the sequel.
- Vocal Evolution: Back in B.o.A, the voices of the Materials were much higher and stoic than today, particularly Material-S and Material-L sounded very similar to their originals, while Material-D's voice was actually deep. Since G.o.A, Stern got her deep Machine Monotone voice, Levi her happy Large Ham, and Dearche her more evil sounding hammier No Indoor Voice.
- However, in battles, Material-S and Material-L sounded like how they sound in G.o.D.
Material-S / Stern the Destructor
Material-S / Stern the Destructor — Exterminator of Starlight
Voiced by: Yukari Tamura
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT, her name is Stern Starks.
Tropes Stern finds logical:
- The Ace: In the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT Alternate Continuity, she's "Miss Number One in Japan" of the Brave Duel beta game and the best player of Team Industrial.note
- Affably Evil: Has Nanoha's polite personality.
- Alliterative Name: In Innocent, her full name is Stern Starks.
- Badass: When she really wants to, incredibly so.
- Beam Spam: Well she is Nanoha's clone after all. She diverges from being a mere copy of Nanoha in G.o.D, where her attacks are faster and have more shots. Her charged Disaster Heat (her version of Nanoha's Divine Buster) fires three consecutive shots instead of one long beam and has less reach than Divine Buster, but they deal more damage if all three shots don't miss.
- Blood Knight: When she is beaten in Nanoha's route in The Battle of Aces, she would state that it was a good fight while smiling and if given another chance, would challenge Nanoha again. She also made a promise with Nanoha that they'll have a rematch even if they reunited after Nanoha becomes an adult. It's this promise that makes her try to stop U-D (and Dearche) from destroying everything. She wouldn't be able to fight Nanoha if she were dead! And in the drama CD she did get to fight The Movie 2nd A's Nanoha and ViVid Nanoha (although sadly not at the same time).
- Blue Oni to Levi's Red: Despite their color themes, Stern is calm, stoic and rational while Levi is energetic, full of emotions and acts dumb.
- Boom Stick: Luciferion.
- Brainy Brunette: Her hair is browner than Nanoha's, and she's one of the smartest characters in the franchise.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: She, along with Material-L, were the first people to actually injure U-D. They ended up heavily damaged.
- Co-Dragons: With Levi.
- Deadpan Snarker: In INNOCENT.
- Enemy Mine: She enlisted the heroes' help in capturing U-D as part of her plan.
- Every Proper Lady Should Curtsy
- The Evil Genius: She is the Material of Wisdom, and true to her designation, she will always take the most logical course of action when dealing with various situations. Of course, this sometimes puts her at odds with Dearche, but the latter is willing to listen to her reasoning, despite expressing displeasure over the former's lack of respect. Stern will be quick to point out that she respects Dearche, but does not confuse it with logic that would help further their plans. These traits also made her the first to undergo a Heel–Face Turn, since to her, it would be highly illogical for Dearche to destroy everything, coupled with the fact that she and Nanoha have a rematch to do.
- Final Boss: In B.o.A., she's the Final Boss in Nanoha's route.
- First-Name Basis: She calls people directly related to her by their first names - Nanoha for being her original,note Levi and Dearche for being her allies. She refers to everyone else by a title: refers to Hayate as "Mistress of the Night Sky" and as noted below calls Yuuno "master" for being Nanoha's magic teacher.
- Friendly Enemy: When she and Nanoha meet again in Gears of Destiny, the first thing they do is exchange pleasantries.
- Go Out with a Smile: In Nanoha's route of B.o.A. Also when she gives Dearche her last mana.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Gives Dearche her remaining powers after succeeding in wounding U-D at the cost of her life.
- Honest Advisor: She wouldn't accept any of Dearche's orders if they are unlogical.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Confirmed as Dearche's right-hand. She found out the information regarding U-D's nature and origins, negotiated with the heroes for their cooperation, and even provided everyone with a method of defeating U-D herself. As competent as she is, she is content on playing second fiddle to Dearche, in fact, all of her plans were made with Dearche's benefit in mind. In the end, she is shown to be the one managing the restoration of Eltria, with the help of U-D/Yuri.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Fitting for her calm character.
- In-Series Nickname: Levi calls Stern "Stern"... It's weird, but for some reason, the "N" in Stern's name is silent. Levi does pronounce the "N", being the the closest character to pronounce her name right, regarding if her name is literally ment to be the German word "Stern" ("star"). This is more obvious if you read Levi's dialogues, when she calls Stern's name, but without any kanji and two changes in Stern's katakana.
- Keigo: She speaks very politely.
- Lady of War: The most elegant, most calm and most feminine of the three.
- Limit Break:
- Luciferion Breaker in B.o.A.
- Shin Luciferion Breaker in G.o.D., which deals 47.5% basic damage, that is slightly above average.
- Machine Monotone: Outside of combat.
- She wasn't really that monotone in B.o.A.
- The Magnificent: Stern The Destructor.
- Meaningful Name: Fitting to her and Nanoha's star theme, Stern is German for "star".
- Mercury's Wings: Based of Nanoha's Axel Fin.
- Morality Chain: To Dearche. Sees no logical reason to kill people off/cover the land with darkness, and with Levi convinces Dearche not to be an Omnicidal Maniac.
- The Plan: She enlisted the help of the heroes to develop countermeasures against U-D, while formulating a plan of her own. She restrains her fellow materials, telling them her plan to act as the first wave against U-D to weaken her defenses, entrusting Levi to act as Dearche's protector. If she succeeds, then her fellow materials would be able to succeed in capturing U-D, if she failed then Nanoha and the others would be able to finish off her job. Whatever the outcome would be, she informs Dearche that only her device would be able to completely control U-D's powers, allowing her to gain the limitless powers she had sought for.
- Playing with Fire: She says she acquired the "powers of the Destructor" in the time between the games, leading to her powers being fire based, but has no idea why fire, of all elements.
- Power Gives You Wings: Like Raising Heart, Luciferion sports wings.
- Red Baron: The Exterminator of Starlight.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: She's an ancient, alien, Magitek program that copied Nanoha's appearance, with a few changes such as her hair being cropped short and her eyes being an unnaturally light color of blue. As the Material of Wisdom, she has little to no emotions and is completely logical. However, she starts gaining some emotions after she met and lost to Nanoha, even gaining her own personal desire to improve herself in the hopes of one day beating Nanoha in a Lighthearted Rematch.
- Servile Snarker: In a very politely way.
- Southpaw: Like Nanoha.
- The Stoic: Unlike Nanoha, she shows almost no emotion.
- That Makes Me Feel Angry: Although you would not be able to tell by the tone of her voice, she was very displeased when a Dark Piece of Dearche appeared before her, stating that she finds the replica disgusting and an insult to her king.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Levi's Tomboy.
- Undying Loyalty: To Dearche, to the extent that she is willing to take on U-D alone knowing she has no chance but simply to weaken her defenses, just so Dearche can defeat her and take her powers. She gives Dearche her remaining powers after suffering heavy injuries so she will have a higher chance of succeeding when she battles U-D.Stern: "I am the flame that opens the path of my king... Even if I am extinguished, I will have no regrets."
- Wave Motion Gun: Luciferion Breaker, and later Shin Luciferion Breaker.
- When She Smiles
Material-L / Levi the Slasher
Material-L / Levi the Slasher — Thunderblade Assailant
Voiced by: Nana Mizuki
Blood Knight, but she's also very childish and not particularly smart. Levi is the Material of Power and she's called the "Thunderblade Assailant".In B.o.A., Material-L appears in Nanoha, Hayate, Shamal and Zafira's routes, appearing only in an extra stage in the latter. In the former three, she's the first of two Materials, in Shamal's case the only Material but first villain, to be encountered. In G.o.D.'s Story Mode, Levi is the boss in Sequence 03, is the first target in Sequence 06, appears in Sequence 01, 04, 07-R, 08 and in the Final Sequence, and is playable in Sequence 10. In Sequence X, she's the second opponent.In the first game, Material-L has Fate's moveset and the passive skills of Fate, Signum and Chrono: Fate's Accel Stock Plus and Accel Loader, Signum's Combo Power and Long Range Defense, and Chrono's Drive EX-Critical and Drive EX-Long. In the second game, Levi has stronger moves and spells than Fate and has like her a special form, Sprite Form. Unlike Fate's Sonic Form, the Sprite Form relies more on raw strength than raw speed in close-combat, but is not slower per se. One of Levi's weaknesses is her high mana consumption, especially in her Sprite Form. And like her original, she has below average defense in her Slash Suit and the worst defense in her Sprite Form (tied with Fate's Sonic Form), and her new Full Drive Burst deals 45% basic damage. Her personal passive skill is Long Range Defense Level 3, giving her 15% less damage when being hit by long range moves.Her full name in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT is Levi Russell.
Tropes Levi finds entertaining:
- Advertised Extra: In B.o.A., despite being the Evil Twin to Fate Testarossa, Material-L had the least significant appearances in this game. She's neither a Final Boss nor appeared she in any CGIs nor did she ever met her counterpart (though, Fate saw her in Nanoha's route). She is usually the first Material being defeated if more than one Material appeared in a character's story; in Shamal's route she's the first villain being defeated (the first battle in her route was a friendly mock battle); Zafira would defeat her as the last Material, if he entered into the second extra stage in his story, but only Material-D was required for his story. However, all Materials appeared in four different routes, respectively, including the extra stages.
- And Then What?: Fate asks her what would they do after they acquired the powers of the Unbreakable Dark. Levi's answer was "I don't know, haven't thought about it." She justifies this reason by stating that she only obeys what Stern and Dearche command her to do, since the two of them do all of the complicated thinking.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Fanfiction tends to portray her as this. She's also portrayed as this in the Material Musume manga and in INNOCENT.
- Battle Cry: When unleashing Raijin Fusatsu Bakumetsuken:"LET'S GO! MY POWER IS EXTREME!!"
- Blood Knight: She's loud and always wants to have fun, whether from adventures or fighting strong enemies. She is the Material of power.
- Boisterous Bruiser: In contrast to Fate, she is loud and loves nothing more than having fun with her life, may it be from adventures or from fighting strong enemies.
- Bokukko: Refers to herself with the masculine pronoun "boku".
- Brilliant, but Lazy: As a Material, Levi can come up with technical knowledge just like the other Materials and she understands it. For the most part, she chooses not to. Lampshaded in a conversation with Fate.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: See Stern's entry.
- The Brute: She's the Material of Power and main role is being the frontline fighter. She has also the most simple program, so she can be revived before the other Materials. In terms of power, Levi's spells and combos are stronger than Fate's, but her spells take a lot of mana.
- Buffy Speak: She calls blue lollipops "blue swirly round things".
- Butt Monkey: Sometimes. She is also the only Material who isn't a Final Boss in B.o.A.
- In the third film of the extra DVD of G.o.D., Levi is the only character who is shown losing.
- Calling Your Attacks in Japanese like Signum.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: In Battle of Aces, Shamal tricked her into giving out information. In Gears of Destiny she is easily bribed with a lollipop.
- Co-Dragons: With Stern.
- Cute Little Fangs: In INNOCENT.
- Dumb Muscle: She can break a bind spell using brute force allowing her to escape Stern's bind spell and catch up to her, which she lampshades. She also stated that she leaves all the thinking to Stern and Dearche, simply following whatever they order her.
- Evil Laugh: Her first appearance in G.o.D. And later before she fights Fate.
- Friendly Enemy: She greets Fate happily and shows off her new and improved self in their meeting in G.o.D. She says that their behavior in The Battle of Aces was similar to sleepwalking. She even gets along with Reinforce.
- Funny Foreigner: In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT, she, along with Stern and Dearche, are exchange students.
- Genki Girl: In contrast to Fate. And more Genki then Alicia. Actually, she's the most genki person in the whole franchise.
- Go Out with a Smile: See Heroic Sacrifice below.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Assists Material-S in her plan to weaken U-D's defenses. They succeed, but end up heavily injured, so she decides to give her remaining powers to Material-D like Material-S.
- Hidden Depths: She thinks and acts like a child, and Material-S stated her program parameters are simple (thus she was the first one to be revived after U-D destroyed their bodies upon her revival). However, she's able to explain the nature and origins of Materials like herself, which surprised Fate a lot.I may act like this but I'm a Material y'know! I'm smart, y'know!
- Hot-Blooded: She has the tendency not to think before she does something, like attacking the good Dark Piece Linith.
- The Hunter: In Eltria, she hunts monsters and goes into dungeons just for fun. But she also helps the people with her hunt, but her motivation is the former part.
- Inelegant Blubbering: She starts crying when Arf defeats her in the G.o.D storyline. Arf was totally perplexed.Who cares about you!? WAAAAAH!!! I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU!!!
- Large Ham: LEVI THE SLASHER!!! Nana Mizuki, surprisingly, appears to have taken to the job of scenery-chewing with gusto.
- Lightning Bruiser: In Battle of Aces, she has the passive skills of both Fate and Signum.
- Limit Break:
- Raijin Messatsu Kyokkōzan in B.o.A.
- Raijin Fusatsu Bakumetsuken in G.o.D., which deals 45% basic damage, that is average.
- The Magnificent: Levi The Slasher.
- She mispronounces Fate's name as "Hate" at several occasions.
- Ditto for INNOCENT, where she also calls Nanoha "Nanyoha".
- She pronounces Stern as "Stern"... It's weird, but for some reason, the "N" in Stern's name is silent. Levi does pronounce the "N", being the the closest character to pronounce her name right.
- In the Material Musume manga, she even mispronounced her own name as "Lebi".
- Meaningful Name/Punny Name: Levi is a pun on "Levin", an archaic word for "Lightning"
- Morality Chain: For Dearche/Material-D. She likes people and along with Stern convinces Dearche to not be an Omnicidal Maniac.
- Ms. Exposition: Surprisingly, she's the one who explains what the Materials are and their connection to the Unbreakable Dark, Fate was even surprised that she knows a lot of technical terms. She even explains this to Linith offscreen, and Linith seems to understand her explanation perfectly.
- The Nicknamer: She is apparently bad with names, unlike Stern, who prefers referring to people other than those related to her with a title, or Dearche, who doesn't even bother knowing the names of people other than her retainers and Yuri. The only exceptions to this are Stern, Dearche (who she addresses as "King" because that's what she wants) and again, Yuri. Some of the people she gave nicknames to are...
- Fate -> "Original"
- Hayate -> "Kogarasu" (Little/Baby Crow)
- Reinforce -> "Kurohane" (Black Wings)
- Kyrie -> "Momoiro" (Pinky)
- Signum -> "Bushido"
- Arf -> "Ahoinu" (Stupid Dog)
- Perky Female Minion: She's very loud and energetic, in contrast with the reserved Material-S.
- Plucky Comic Relief: She's the least serious of the three, most of her scenes are funny, and even back in B.o.A. where she was stoic, she was the only Material with funny scenes. Levi is also the Butt Monkey on several occassions, and due to her status as a Unskilled, but Strong Dumb Muscle, she's also the least threatening Material.
- Rapunzel Hair: Like Fate and Alicia.
- Red Baron: The Thunderblade Assailant.
- Red Oni to Stern's Blue: Despite their color themes, Levi is energetic, full of emotions and acts dumb while Stern is calm, stoic and rational.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: It's more magenta, though.
- Shock and Awe: Obviously as Fate's clone.
- Slasher Smile: She is LEVI THE SLASHER after all.
- Spell My Name with an "S":
- The Stoic: In B.o.A. Though, she was also Not So Stoic, but she didn't have her Genki Girl personality back then.
- Storm of Blades: Her full drive burst.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Vulnificus, whose forms are all counterparts of Bardiche:
- Sword Beam: Ittōryō Zan. And Jumon Jigiri.
- Kōyoku Zan is the faster version to Fate's Haken Saber. For some reason, Kōyoku Zan is the vertical while Haken Saber is horizontal.
- Tomboy: A Bokukko, a Blood Knight and she enjoys fighting monsters like a guy.
- Undying Loyalty: To Dearche as she's perfectly willing to sacrifice herself like Stern, so that Dearche can gain U-D's powers.
- The Unfought: Unlike the other Aces, Fate never met her Material counterpart in her story route in B.o.A.
- Unskilled, but Strong: When beating her in their respective storylines, Chrono and Fate both note that although she's as strong as she claims to be, her attacks are fairly simple to dodge because she swings too wildly and she has a tendency to use flashy moves. She says because she's the Material of Power, she feels her attacks need to be big and flashy.
- Yellow Lightning, Blue Lightning: Blue to Fate's yellow. In B.o.A., it was yellow.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- You Remind Me of X: Levi reminded Fate of Alicia, because of her aqua-blue magic color and her energetic personality... Or not.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
Material-D / "Lord" Dearche
Material-D / "Lord" Dearche — Lord Ruler of Darkness
Voiced by: Kana Ueda
"Abundant power! Overflowing magical power! Breaking the limits, I'M THE KING OF DARKNESS!!"Material-D aka "Lord" Dearche is the king of the Materials, the king of the Purple Sky, and the copy of Hayate Yagami with Reinforce Eins' enormous mana output with Shamal's healing and restoration skills. She's very proud, has a very big ego, she's loud and looks down on other people, but she's actually nicer than she acts. Dearche is the Material of Lordship and she's called the "Lord Ruler of Darkness".In B.o.A., Material-D appears in Hayate, Reinforce, Vita and Zafira's routes, but unlike the other two Materials, all of her appearances are in the main stages and plot relevant. In G.o.D.'s Story Mode, Dearche is the boss in Sequence 01 and sub-boss in Sequence 04, appears in Sequence 06, and is playable in Sequence 10 and in the Final Sequence. In Sequence X, she's the fourth opponent.In the first game, Material-D has Hayate's moveset and the passive skills of Hayate, Reinforce and Shamal: Hayate's MP Loader and Use MP Cut, Reinforce's MP Gain and Drive Stock Plus, and Shamal's Heal and Drive Loader. In the second game, she is even weaker than Hayate in close range combat, and her Arondight, which is her version of Hayate's Claíomh Solais, is weaker than the said move, but has a high shield break rate, and she has two exclusive moves, Inferno and Ō no Ikō, the former being Awesome, but Impractical, and the latter being a counter spell. Like her original, she has below average defense and her new Full Drive Burst deals 50% basic damage. Her personal passive skill is MP Guard Level 3, having 15% less mana drain while shielding.She is known as Dearche K. Claudia in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT.
"KNEEL BEFORE ME!"
"KNEEL BEFORE ME!"
Tropes ruled over by Dearche:
- And Then What?: Asked to her by Levi of all people, on what she will do after acquiring U-D's powers. Her instant answer was to first and formemost, kill the annoying "Raven" (her nickname for Hayate) and her guardian knights, then kill the "mages of Stars and Lightning" (Nanoha and Fate). She then halfheartedly goes on her spiel on how she'll envelop the land in darkness, realizing that she has no idea what to do after killing the heroines. Her loyal retainers then tell her how pointless her plan is and talk her out of it.
- Anti-Hero: She's the one who finally defeats Yuri. No matter which character you play who fights Yuri in the second round of the final battle, Dearche will always finish her off.
- Artifact of Doom: Her Tome of the Purple Sky is the only thing that can control U-D.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Her spell Inferno are dark spheres which deal a lot of damage and need only little mana. However, they have a low hit rate and can miss even an unmoving target. Also, it's impossible that all spheres can hit the opponent, only a few of them can hit. However, one sphere makes already decent damage, but two of them make much more damage than most other non-Limit Break spells of the entire game.
- Badass Armfold: Does this a couple of times.
- Badass Bookworm: Like Hayate, her Tome of Purple Sky is the reason she's the strongest of the trio.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Lord Dearche always wished for power. When she finally got it due to her loyal retainers sacrificing their physical forms and transferring their entire being into her so she will have a fighting chance against Unbreakable Dark, she responds by screaming in anguish.
- Big Bad Wannabe: In G.o.D.
- Blood Knight: Averted. She is the only Material and the only member of the Eltria team who is not interested in fights.
- Boom Stick: Yersinia Kreuz.
- Break the Haughty: Her loyal retainers sacrificing themselves didn't really sit well with her. This is also what leads her to fully cooperate with the heroines, intent on finishing the task of saving U-D.
- Casting a Shadow: She's the Lord Ruler of Darkness and Hayate's counterpart who also has this kind of magic, though, Hayate is less orientated in darkness magic than Dearche.
- Coat Over the Shoulder: In the last CG of G.o.D.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Her first appearance in Gears of Destiny has her handling the heroes all by herself. She would have won, if her two subordinates hadn't showed up and taken some of the mana that she was utilizing, causing her magic levels to drop.
- Disc One Final Boss: In B.o.A., she's the Disc One Final Boss and last villain in Hayate's route, while she's the Final Boss in Reinforce's route.
- This seems to be canon in this continuity. When Hayate defeated her, the Wolkenritter appear and Signum killed her with Sturmfalken. Dearche remembers this event in G.o.A. when she fights the Dark Piece of Signum. Also, Dearche shows no anger towards Reinforce in G.o.D when she faces her, implying the Reinforce route is not canon.
- Material-D was also the second-to-last enemy in Vita's route, and she's the last villain Vita encountered.
- Evil Gloating: Some of her win quotes has her bragging about how awesome she is. She also does this in several points in the G.o.D storyline.
- Evil Laugh: Much better than Levi's. Her Evil Laugh is also her very first line in G.o.D.
- Evil Overlord: She claims to be one.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Is referred as "King" (Ō-sama) by most of the characters within the game.
- His Name Really is "Barkeep": In INNOCENT, where she's called Dearche K. Claudia. The K. stands for "Kings".
- Expy: She's basically a loli version of Gilgamesh. Both are powerful Jerkass kings with a massive ego which borders to Awesome Ego. Also, both tend to curse people with "onore".
- Final Boss: In Reinforce's route.
- Green Eyes
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She easily becomes angry, especially by Hayate.
- Hey, You!: She never even bothers calling anyone other than her two subordinates and Yuri by their name.
- Hidden Depths: She's haughty, self centered, and seems hell bent on gaining power so that she could destroy the world. Her actual motivation for seeking the power of the Unbreakable Dark is to provide a place for Stern and Levi to do whatever they please and go wherever they want. This is why she initially refused Hayate's offer of help, saying that she did not want to be indebted to others for something she can obtain by herself.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She doesn't want to show it, but she really cares about other people, particularly her Co-Dragons and Yuri.
- Hypocrite: In B.o.A., she calls Hayate an imposter, despite being her clone. Lampshaded by Hayate.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: In B.o.A., Signums killed her with Sturmfalken, which pierced through her chest, in Hayate's route. This seems to be canon, because she remembers in G.o.D. how Signum killed her when she faces a Dark Piece version of Signum.
- Japanese Pronouns: She uses "ware" for herself, calls everyone "kisama", and when she's very angry at someone, she uses "onore". She later uses "omae" to Yuri.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her attitude towards her retainers, she genuinely cares for both of them. When the two of them end up heavily damaged after succeeding in injuring U-D, she goes to their side and tries to transfer some of her magic power to them. She even refused and desperately ordered them to stop when they transferred their powers to her.
- A King To Her Retainers: She deeply cares for Stern and Levi. She would even give them her mana when they are dying.
- Also to Yuri, after she "tamed" her.
- Subverted, as it turns out that the King is actually inferior to the Souvereign.
- Also to Yuri, after she "tamed" her.
- Kneel Before Zod: One of her attacks is a counter-bind spell, in which she says "Kneel before me!" when it connects. She also says this on some parts of the story in G.o.D.
- Large Ham: Spends most of her time chewing the scenery, and the remainder lampshading it. In G.O.D., she mentions that she spent the break between the games practicing her Evil Laugh.
- Limit Break:
- Excalibur in B.o.A.
- Juggernaut in G.o.D., which deals 50% basic damage, that is above average.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: In the end of Sequence 10, Stern and Levi sacrifice themselves and give Dearche their powers. "Lord" Dearche becomes "Lord" Dearche TRINITY. She gets 50% more power and defense in both ranges, and she gets a additional Full Drive.
- Named by the Adaptation: The INNOCENT card game names her Super Mode "Lord" Dearche TRINITY.
- The Nicknamer: Because she'd rather not address people not related to her by their names. Examples are...
- Hayate —> Kogarasu (Little Raven/Crow)
- Amitie —> Akage (Redhead)
- Kyrie —> Momoiro (Pinky)
- Alicia —> Little Chicken (in INNOCENT)
- Fate —> Black Chicken (in INNOCENT)
- Noble Demon
- Noblewoman's Laugh: When she connects with a counter attack.
- No Indoor Voice: She often slips from Large Ham to this. She's the loudest character in this game.
- Number Two: It is revealed that the King of Purple Sky is the Number Two to the Sovereign of the Purple Sky, Yuri Eberwein.
- Omnicidal Maniac: During The Battle of Aces. The other Materials keep her from this path in The Gears of Destiny.
- Otaku: A minor one. When Kyrie suggested that her final form when she acquires U-D's powers would look like a giant cartoonish robot, she thinks it's cool. Reinforce and Hayate don't know what to think about this.
- Other Me Annoys Me: She really hates Hayate.
- Power Gives You Wings: Has dark purple wings like Hayate with her black wings. And then, parts of her wings glow red and blue after getting Stern's and Levi's powers.
- Purple Is Powerful: Her dress, shoes, wings and magic color. Yersinia Kreuz is purple, too.
- Royal "We": She uses "ware", an archaic "I", usually male.
- Red Baron: The Lord Ruler of Darkness.
- She Is the King: Literally.
- Sphere of Destruction: Her Full Drive Burst, Juggernaut fires five magical beams which stop in mid-air and then explode, so enemy is trapped within five explosion spheres. It's basically a dark version of Hayate's Hræsvelgr.
- Spell My Name with an "S": "Lord" is misspelled as "'Load'" in the game, but INNOCENT spells it correctly. And those quotation marks are part of the name, but they are often left out.
- Squishy Wizard: Unfortunatly, Dearche doesn't have the close combat skills of either Reinforce nor of the Wolkenritter, making her the weakest of the three in that category. It doesn't help that her defense is below average.
- Super Mode: The INNOCENT card game finally named her Super Mode "Lord" Dearche TRINITY. In the game, she doesn't look like this◊, but the form is actually the same.
- Supreme Chef: Inherited from Hayate along with her magic and her recipes.
- Team Mom
- Token Evil Teammate: When she joins the heroes.
- Tsundere: To "Kogarasu" (Hayate), to Stern and Levi, and to Yuri in Sequence X.
- "With Our Swords" Scene: Stern and Levi give her the remainder of their powers after suffering heavy damage from weakening U-D.
Professor Granz Florian
Granz FlorianThe father of Amitie and Kyrie, and a professor who works on reviving his home planet Eltria. He invented the Gears and designed them to help stopping the planetary deterioration. Unfortunately, he doesn't have time enough to see any positive results of his work, this fact deeply hurts Kyrie, that's why she decides to use the Time Machine which the professor found and repaired, despite he sealed it away because it's something humanity shouldn't use.
Tropes related to Granz Florian:
- Expy: He's more like a good guy version of Jail Scaglietti. He created the Eltrian Gears and treats them like daughters. Well, only those two who have real personalities.
- The Faceless: The only CGI that he appears in had Kyrie's doll covering up his face. His face is not seen until INNOCENT.
- Determinator: His daughters have become Determinators like him.
- Fatherly Scientist: INNOCENT has fun with this by having him insist on the Florian Sisters calling him "Professor" instead of "Dad". And they're biologically human in that continuity.
- The Ghost: He actually never made an appearance in the game. He finally appears in INNOCENT.
- Ill Boy: He eventually has died in the end of the game.
- Mad Scientist: In INNOCENT, he's described as an eccentric person with some crazy inventions.
- Nice Guy
- Posthumous Character: Two years later in the drama CD.
- The Professor: Even his daughters calls him Professor because they respect his work. This said work includes finding ways to save Eltria.
- Spared By Adaptation: In INNOCENT where he's finally shown.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs: His daughters respect his work so much, they call him "Professor" instead of "Dad/Father".
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: He dies before his works eventually pay off.
- Vehicular Theme Naming: Apparently after Isuzu Florian.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: He is often absent from home due to his work. Kyrie seemed to suffer from this, but Amita told her his work is for mankind, so she should not being sad about his absence.
The Eltrian Gears
The Gears are people whose duty is to help stopping the planetary deterioration. In fact, they are actually machines created by Granz Florian, and Amitie and Kyrie are special Gears with overdevelopded personality systems. The Florian sisters are also Guardians of Time, who will protect the Destined Fate (not her), as their task is protecting the Time Machine which the professor found, repaired and sealed away.
Tropes common to the Eltrian Gears:
- Action Girl: Both of them are "born" for fighting.
- Beam Spam: Amitie's Vulcan Raid and Kyrie's Rapid Trigger. The former is faster and stronger, the latter has more shots.
- Character Title: They are The Gears of Destiny.
- Deflector Shield: Like every other character, they cast shields and barriers.
- Dual Wielding: The Variant Zappers as two Fencers.
- Expy: To the protagonists of the Wild ARMs series, many of their moves, like "Accelerator" and "Lock On" are straight from the games. Also, their world, Eltria is Filgaia in all but name.
- Flash Step: If they use Accelerator in-game, they move so fast it looks like teleportations.
- Flawed Prototype: They are the first Gears that Granz created, and he overloaded their personality programs, resulting that they think and feel like humans. He never repeated his little mistake again with the later Gears.
- Guns Akimbo: The Variant Zappers as two Zappers.
- Guns vs. Swords: An odd subversion because both of them uses guns and swords. They have very similar fighting styles, almost identical spells, the same weapons and both are Lightning Bruisers. However, Amitie is the stronger sister in long range, while Kyrie is the stronger sister in close range. Even if you equip Amitie with Cross Range Power Level 3, she's still inferior to Kyrie. Likewise, if you equips Kyrie with Long Range Power Level 2, she's still inferior to Amitie.
- Idiot Hair: Not uncommon in this franchise.
- Instant A.I., Just Add Water: Most Gears are automatons; but the Florian sisters were accidentally given intelligence.
- The Hunter: One of the Gears' duties is fighting monsters, that threat the lives of people, and entering dangerous territories. Amitie and Kyrie got their real-combat-experiences from that.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughters: To Granz. In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT, Granz is described as an eccentric person who builds crazy inventions. Also, Amitie and Kyrie are his biological daughters in INNOCENT.
- Missing Mom:
- Justified. They are robots.
- In INNOCENT, they actually have a mother, but she's on a business trip.
- Original Generation: They are introduced in The Gears of Destiny.
- Personality Chip: Granz made a mistake when programming them, giving them human-level personalities by accident.
- Rapunzel Hair: Both have very long hair.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Interestingly, Amitie wears blue, but she's the red oni and her magic color is pink, while Kyrie wears reddish pink, but she's the blue oni and her magic color is blue.
- Robot Girl: There are not only female Gears, but also male Gears. Amitie considers them as their sisters and brothers.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Amitie and Kyrie are special examples among all Gears. Granz accidentally overdeveloped their personality programs, so they became very human, and he decided to raise them like humans. They can grow up, eat, sleep etc.
- Shout-Out: Their pistols bear a distinct resemblance to those carried by the Cherudim Gundam.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Amitie is an Idiot Hero who strictly follows the rules. Kyrie is an Anti-Hero Combat Pragmatist who violates the rules to save her world.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Variant Zapper, A pair of guns (Zapper) that can turn into dual swords (Fencer), a Fencer and a Zapper or a BFS (Heavy Edge).
- Sword and Gun: The Variant Zapper is basically a combination of swords and guns.
- Terminator Twosome: See Time Travel. Both also happens to be Robot Girls.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Amitie is the tomboy, Kyrie is the girly girl.
- Time Travel: Kyrie usea a Lost Logia to find the Examia, which only exists in this alternate universe. Amitie follows her to stop her from doing this because her actions mess with everything.
- Time Police: According to Amita, this is the role that the Florian sisters were supposed to take, based on the wishes of their father.
- Vehicular Theme Naming: Apparently after Isuzu Florian.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Variant Zappers have a function called "Overblast". It's more powerful than the Triple Breaker from A's. Amitie is the only one of them who have used it. Though, Kyrie was confident that her Overblast might be stronger than her sister's.
- Zettai Ryouki: Both grade A.
Amitie Florian — The Guardian of Destiny
Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu
"Even if it's difficult, even if it hurts! Moving onwards and looking forward to life! The human heart is made for that! Though my body is made out of steel, I was raised with a kind heart! Living and protecting my family's lives and spirit is the duty of the eldest sister!"Amitie, also known as Amita, is the older Florian sister. She has a strong sense of duty, is very energetic, speaks very politely, but is also an Idiot Hero. Additionally, she is a lovely older sister and is loyal to her father's teachings, but fails to convince her younger sister to give up using the time machine. As Kyrie travels to the past, Amitie follows her to take her back before she could make any or more problems. She meets the TSAB very soon, but fights them because of misunderstandings and refuse to cooperate with them to prevent more trouble in their timeline, until she's badly injured by U-D and taken care by the TSAB. After Kyrie gets arrested and cooperates with the TSAB, too, both sisters make peace after their final fight.In G.o.D.'s Story Mode, Amitie is playable in Sequence 01 and in the Final Sequence, appears in Sequence 05, 06, 08 and 10, is a target in Sequence 02 and 03 (optional in the latter), and is the boss in Sequence 09. In Sequence X, she is the fifth and final opponent.Her personal passive skill is Cross Range Power Level 3.
Tropes related to Amitie:
- An Arm and a Leg: When U-D attacks Kyrie, Amitie goes between them and U-D pierces through her left arm and her stomach, and the arm is torn apart. She gets better.
- Battle Cry: NEEEEEKEEETSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!note
- Bonus Boss: In the Playable Epilogue, Sequence X, where you fight her as the last opponent, which makes her not only the first character you have play in the story, but also the last character you have to defeat.
- Braids of Action: She has one and is an Action Girl.
- Cool Big Sis:Amita: "Even if you hate me, I love you very much. I know you're a good girl. More importantly, you're the world's number one cutie and my beloved little sister. I love Kyrie very much."
Amita: "Helping my little sister who looks like she's about to fall apart is Onee-chan's job. It's only natural."
Amita (using E.O.D.): "ONEE-CHAN BEAM!"
- Cool Down Hug: To Kyrie in Sequence 09.
- Determinator: A virus infected her? She still can fight with Kiai and Hot-Blooded will power, and she recovers from losing her left arm, which had to be rebuilt for her very quickly.
- Dumbass Has a Point: She was right that time travelling does not mean that Kyrie could save their father.
- Gratuitous English: Her attacks have English names, and in one scene in the story, actually says a line in English."Yes, I am Onee-chan!"
- Green Eyes: If she doesn't appear in a franchise where You Gotta Have Blue Hair, she would be a Significant Green-Eyed Redhead.
- Hot-Blooded: She operates under the the idea that everything can be accomplished through guts and spirit. "Hotblooded" is even her Battle Cry.
- Idiots Cannot Catch Colds: Kyrie references this after Amita tells her that she resisted her virus through Guts and Hot Blood!
- Idiot Hero: Seems to have watched a little too many Toku or Mecha shows. See Hot-Blooded above and Poor Communication Kills below.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By U-D in Sequence 05, the former pierces through Amitie's left arm and stomach; the arm is torn apart then. It doesn't stop her from using her most powerful attack, Overblast. And she gets better.
- In-Series Nickname:
- She prefers to be called Amita.
- Akage (Redhead) by Dearche.
- Kiai: Invoked. "KIAI TO KONJOU DE, GANBATTEMIMASHITA!" ("With fighting spirit and guts, I did my best!")
- Keigo: Kyrie isn't actually inpolite, but Amita is far more polite than her and other characters. Amitie's politeness is lampshaded by Kyrie when she compares Yuri with her.
- Knight Templar Big Sister: In Sequence 05, Amitie offers U-D to protect her from Kyrie. Then Kyrie shoots her sister, fights U-D and when the latter attacks her with her Soul Wings, Amitie flies between them, is impaled (and loses her left arm), and she shoots the Overblast on U-D.
- Large Ham: You cannot be Hot-Blooded without that.
- Lightning Bruiser: With her Accelerator, she can move extremely fast, as she moves with ridiculous speed when she uses her Full Drive Burst. Though not as strong as Kyrie in close range, she's stronger in long range, and her personal skill "Cross Range Power Level 3" compensate for her close range attacks. She also proves to be Made of Iron during the story, literally, anyway, and can still fight even when she's infected by a virus or still recovering from her injuries after fighting U-D. Her defense is average, though.
- With her Mid-Season Upgrade, Amitie gets stronger and tougher but not slower.
- Limit Break: E.O.D. (End Of Destiny), which deals 45% basic damage, that is average.
- Married to the Job: She is often absent from home due to her work, and she enjoys it.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: If you play Kyrie in the first round of the final battle and chooses Amitie in the second, the former hands the latter her recharged Variant Zapper, loaded with Kyrie's remaining power. In-game, she gets 50% more power and defense in close range, and her Limit Break gets stronger which she can use twice.
- Names to Trust Immediately: Amitie is French for "friendship".
- The Nicknamer: "Wan-chan!" (Arf)
- Plucky Girl: She has a very positive thinking. She also combines this with being a Determinator.
- Poor Communication Kills: Asking for help while pointing with guns is not a smart move.
- Red-Headed Heroine: She is one of the main characters in the game and the only redhead.
- Robotic Reveal: Loses her arm while confronting U-D, revealing circuitry.
- Sword and Gun: Only seen in the Viewer Mode of the game.
- Tareme Eyes: Showing that she's the more heroic Florian daughter and she is much nicer than Kyrie.
- The Worf Barrage: She fired a blast powerful enough to create an explosion that can be seen for miles at U-D's face. It didn't even mess up U-D's hair.
Kyrie Florian — The Right Hand [Operator] of Time
Voiced by: Satomi Sato
"Once I decide on something, I won't give up and carry it through the end! The professor... And you, Onee-chan, that's what you thought me!"Kyrie is the younger Florian sister. She talks like a sweet girl, but often mocks others and is very pragmatic and rarely fights fair. However, despite being rebellous, she really loves her family, and she cannot endure the fact that her father will die without any silver of hope to revive Eltria. She researched many timelines with the simulator of the Time Machine to find a way to save the planet. Before she could give up, she found the last hope, the Infinite Linking System, Examia, which only exists in one particular timeline. Therefore, Kyrie uses the time machine to obtain it, causing several incidents in that timeline. She helps the Materials to revive Unbreakable Dark, so "Lord" Dearche could control her, but Kyrie's plan fails. She is later arrested by the Liese Twins and cooperates with the TSAB and has to give up U-D's Examia. Fortunately for her, Yuri and the Materials decide to help reviving Eltria and follow her and Amitie.In G.o.D.'s story, Kyrie is playable in Sequence 09 and in the Final Sequence, is a sub-playable character in Sequence 01 and 05note , is a target in Sequence 01, 03, 05 and 06 (is an optional target in 03 and 05), and she appears in Sequence 04, 08 and 10. In Sequence X, she's the third opponent.Her personal passive skill is Long Range Defense Level 3.
Tropes related to Kyrie:
- Anti-Hero/Anti-Villain: Kyrie wants to save Eltria and her father, but her stubborness causes the time travel incidents, she even helps Dearche reviving U-D, and Kyrie fights the heroes more often than her sister does, who just fights because of misunderstandings.
- The Atoner: After her failed attempt to gain U-D's Examia, and learning that the time machine is the reason why Vivio, Einhard and Tohma landed in this time line, she tries to atone her sins by going into a Suicide Mission and defeating U-D alone. Amita can stopped her before it could happen.
- Blatant Lies: Subverted. She tricks Fate by telling her that she wants to save her father, then she shoots her and flies away. Though, Fate has the feeling that Kyrie was telling the truth.
- Cat Smile: She has this often.
- Combat Pragmatist: Lampshaded by the Materials. They say she will never lose if she keeps fighting dirty.
- How ended Amitie's first battle against Kyrie? Kyrie pretended to be defeated and then revealing her that she infected Amitie with a Virus Bullet.
- Curtains Match the Window: Both pink.
- Cuteness Proximity
- Determinator: She took it from Amitie and Granz.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Invoked. When Fate confronts her, Kyrie keeps shooting down Fate's attempts for her to cooperate as invitations for a date.
- Fun with Acronyms: K.B.V. (Kyrie Beautiful Victory) and her Full Drive Burst, S.R.I. (Slash Rave Impact).
- K.K.C. (Kirarin~! Kyrie, Chance!)
- She says, K.K.G (Kiai to Konjou de, gambarimashita) ("With fighting spirit and guts, I did my best!") wouldn't fit her when she borrows Amitie's win quote.
- "Lyrical Magical, Gambaccha! L.M.G."
- Gratuitous English: Even more so than Amita. Aside from calling her attacks, which are in English, one of her victory lines is "Kyrie Beautiful Victory".
- The Jail Bait Wait: She tells Chrono he could date her in three years. She seems to mean this seriously, after Chrono correctly tells Kyrie how she really feels about her actions.
- However, considering that Chrono is Older Than He Looks and is 14 to 15, he's actually around her age and could date her immediately.
- Jerkass: Kyrie has the tendency to mock other character. When she fights Fate she reduces her into a little girl. She is also not very nice to her sister in the story.
- Jerkass Has a Point: The power of Examia, U-D's core, can really save Eltria. Kyrie fails to obtain it, but Yuri joins them and her help accels Eltria's revival.
- Lightning Bruiser: Like Amitie, she can move extremely fast with Accelerator. However, she's still slower than Fate, and it looks like that she's slower than Amitie, judging from their Limit Breaks. Kyrie has stronger close range attacks, but weaker long range moves. Her defense is above average, and her personal skill is Long Range Defense Power Level 3.
- Limit Break: S.R.I. (Slash Rave Impact), which deals 45% basic damage, that is average.
- The Nicknamer: Not to the extent of Levi but...
- Arf -> "Wan-chan"
- Fate -> "Kawaiiko-chan"
- Shamal -> "Midori Onee-san"
- Pink Means Feminine: She's more girlier than her older sister, but has blue magic color.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Shown on the G.o.D shower curtain, much to Amitie's horror.
- Sword and Gun: Unlike Amitie, who has either only a single Fencer, or two Zappers or two Fencers in combat, Kyrie can wield a Fencer and a Zapper.
- Troll: She has the tendency to make fun of other people, e.g. the Harlaown siblings whom she accuses for inviting her to a date despite they never said something like that.
- True Blue Femininity: Her magic color is blue and she's more feminine than Amitie.
- Tsundere: To Amitie."ONEE-CHAN NO BAKA!!"
Kyrie: "Let go..."
- This dialogue is more obvious:
Amita: "Don't wanna. I'm not letting go."
Kyrie: "That's a part of you I hate. I hate it!"
Amita: "Even if you hate me, I love you very much. I know you're a good girl. More importantly, you're the world's number one cutie and my beloved little sister. I love Kyrie very much."
Kyrie (holding her tears back): "Even if you say that... Do you think I'd cry and hug you back? I'm not like that..."
- Tsurime Eyes: Reflecting her mischievous and anti-heroic character.
- "With Our Swords" Scene: If you choose Kyrie for the first stage of the final battle against the Unbreakable Dark then choose Amita for the second round, you'll get a scene where Kyrie hands Amita her Variant Zapper, which she had recharged using her own remaining energy.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: She learns that a medic like Shamal is not a weak fighter the hard way.
- Youngest Child Wins: Invoked. She believes the younger ones are superior and that she surpasses Amitie.
- Played with in Sequence 09, where Amitie is the boss character. Kyrie does not have to win the fight; if she loses, there won't be a continue and the story will still advance, but if she win, Kyrie notices that Amitie isn't fighting with full strength because Kyrie has already lost her fighting will.
Unbreakable Dark / System U-D / Kudakeenu Yami / Yuri Eberwein — Sovereign of the Purple Sky
Voiced by: Kana Asumi
"I'm the eternally burning black sun, the shadow that blots out the moon. And therefore, the darkness that can never be destroyed. Only destruction follows my awakening."Kudakeenu Yami, System U-D, Unbreakable Dark, these are the names of the program that can grant "Lord" Dearche infinited power. While the Boss version is referred as "U-D", the playable version is referred as "Yuri".In the G.o.D.'s Story Mode, she is the boss in Sequence 04, 05, 10 and in the Final Sequence, becoming stronger in each Sequence. Beating her in all those battles with all characters who can fight her will unlock Sequence X. Yuri is playable in Sequence X, where she fights Stern, Levi, Kyrie, Dearche and Amitie.As a playable character, she doesn't have the same moves like her Final Boss version. Her strength relies more in close range, as she has slow but powerful attacks, which makes it unfortunately easy to counter her. She has some strong long range attacks, but they are not that useful and are also rather slow, and one of her spells have poor range. But her Full Drive Burst has the longest range after Yuuno and Precia, is very fast and it deals 50% basic damage. Even the playable version is a lot tougher than any other character, having 150% basic defense. Her personal skill is Burst Power Level 3, giving her Full Drive Burst more power.
Tropes related to U-D:
- Affably Evil: She's actually a kind girl, but she cannot control her power.
- Anti-Villain: U-D has no evil ambitions.
- Apologetic Attacker
- Bad Boss: After exchanging pleasantries, she promptly kills the loyal Materials after they successfully revived her. Not that it's really her fault. As an Eldritch Abomination, she can't control the death and destruction she causes. Though, it first looks like she is just a powerful program Dearche wants to obtain, it is later revealed that Yuri is in fact the Materials' souvereign, leader and master.
- Bad Powers, Good People: She subverts this trope by using her power to revive Eltria after her Heel–Face Turn.
- Badass: She's the most powerful character in the game and possibly universe.
- Badass Adorable: She's so adorable, her Moe level rivals Vivio's!
- Badass Bookworm: She knows how the Tome of Purple Sky works, and in INNOCENT, it's suggested she loves books.
- Badass Long Coat: It's not really a coat, she wears a Bare Your Midriff jacket and a "cape" on her pants.
- Handicapped Badass: As the heroes damage her Examia, Yuri has lost lots of power and she still has to recover. Considering that Examia is her vital core, she's practically disabled.
- Little Miss Badass: She's the smallestnote , but strongest character of the game.
- Submissive Badass: Subverted. Nanoha and the others believe she is this to Dearche after she tamed Yuri. However, Yuri is the Sovereign of the Purple Sky. That means she is the leader of Dearche, Levi, and Stern.
- Bare Your Midriff: Part of her Purple Sky Attire.
- Beam Spam: Lots of them. And they are very powerful. However, only the Boss version.
- Beware the Quiet Ones
- Big Bad: In G.o.D.
- Bigger Bad: In B.o.A., where she's only mentioned, but never appeared there.
- Bloody Murder: Javelin and Ancient Matrix seem to be this.
- Brought Down to Normal: After the heroes manage to damage her Examia, and Dearche succeeds to control her, The Juggernaut U-D is heavily disabled and became much weaker and she still has to recover. Yuri, the playable version, has less moves, less power and less range than the boss enemy U-D.
- Casting a Shadow: Sort of. Her powers seems to be a combination of Casting a Shadow and Bloody Murder.
- Cheerful Child: After her Heel–Face Turn.
- Complete Immortality: She cannot die.
- Curtains Match the Window: In her normal form.
- Dark Action Girl: She's the strongest magical being in the franchise and is the Big Bad of G.o.D.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Again, she's actually a kind girl. Her magic color just happens to be black. Played straight after her Heel–Face Turn.
- Dark Magical Girl: An Anti-Villain who suffers from her life as a destroyer of worlds.
- Death Seeker: Since she can only destroy, she's sick of it and wants to end her misery.
- Difficult but Awesome: Her Vesper Ring is rather slow and can easily be dodged. However, even uncharged it passes through any other offensive attack, e.g. Nanoha's Divine Buster.
- Expy: To Reinforce Eins. Both have similar personalities, a similar backstory, a similar role, both are Anti Villains and extremely powerful Juggernauts, their programs were overwritten by identical looking girls, and both joined the good side.
- Final Boss: In the main story of the Story Mode. The playable version is also the final boss in the Arcade Mode, Time Attack Mode and Survival Mode.
- Final Boss Preview: She's the boss in Sequence 04, 05 and 10. You have to defeat with all characters who can face her to unlock Sequence X.
- In the Survival Mode, you face her after defeating the 22 other characters in every row. After the third time and defeating the next seven opponents, you will fight her as the 100th and last opponent with her Combat Mode costume.
- Genki Girl: She slowly becomes one. She's influenced by Amitie, and possibly Levi.
- Glass Cannon: After you get rid of her first life bar in the second round of the final boss battle, she's extremely vulnerable, even her Super Armor is much less stable than before and it's possible to knock her by using close range combos even if they don't deal any damage. You can completely destroy her second life bar with a Full Drive Burst (depending which character you usenote ), but you should still avoid her attacks.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom / Red Eyes, Take Warning: In Sequence 04.
- Heel–Face Turn: She's ultimately "befriended" by Dearche.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The heroes fight her in Sequence 04, Sequence 05 and Sequence 10 before the final battle. Losing to her still advance the plot, but you can beat her, since she's not that difficult, though in Sequence 10 she has her Super Armor, which makes it very difficult to win. Even if you win, the story reveals that the heroes haven't really done something to her. And you have to win all of these battles to unlock Sequence X.
- Humanoid Abomination: She is a part of the Eternal Ring system, similar like the Book of Darkness.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How she attacks various characters.
- In-Series Nickname: Yami-chan, by Hayate and Shamal.
- The Juggernaut: She's nearly unstoppable. Only with the Heroic Sacrifices of Stern and Levi that lower her defense and with the force of most playable characters, including some Mid Season Upgrades, can stop her. Also, Dearche's Tome of Purple Sky is the only thing that can control her, and Chrono says that the chance of controlling her is higher than destroying her. In Sequence X, she wins all mock battles by herself. Her opponents are Stern, Levi, Kyrie, Dearche and Amitie, in that order. And you play her.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Switches from yellow eyes to green and back.
- Keigo: She has a polite speech pattern, but sometimes she switches from "anata" to "kimi", which makes her speech a bit informal.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The merchandises don't hide that she became a good girl. Well, this is typical in this franchise.
- Limit Break: Ancient Matrix, which deals 50% basic damage, that is above average.
- Original Generation: She is introduced in The Gears of Destiny.
- MacGuffin: Her vital core, the Examia, does only exist in this alternate timeline, that's why Kyrie uses to Time Machine to travel there. The Examia has the power to restore Eltria and is the last hope of that planet. To obtain it, Kyrie has to cooperate with Dearche to control U-D. But when U-D becomes too strong to be controlled, the heroes have to fight her until her Examia stops working, giving Dearche the chance to hack into U-D's system and to overwrite her program and making her controllable.
- Mark of the Beast: In her Combat Mode.
- Mighty Glacier: Her boss version attacks are a bit slow, but strong.
- Mook Maker: Probably unintentional, but she is the reason why the Dark Pieces were born in The Gears of Destiny.
- Nice Girl: After her Heel–Face Turn. While some of the playable characters ask if their defeated opponents are okay, Yuri actually flies to them and checks if their fine.
- Not So Different: Thoma tells her that he and U-D are actually similar, and he went berserk like her in his Black Knight Mode before.
- Person of Mass Destruction: She suffers from this.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Downplayed. Her Combat Mode has just lighter blond hair.
- Power Gives You Wings: Her Soul Wings (Hakuyoku), also known as "Arms".
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches her thighs.
- Really 700 Years Old: Takes the appearance of a small child, but is actually older than Reinforce Eins.
- Redemption Demotion: The playable version of her is much weaker than the Boss version and has a worse moveset. Justified, it's the post-Heel–Face Turn version of her, who is crippled due to her damaged Examia and she has lost a lot of her power.
- Samus Is a Girl: The characters didn't know that U-D was a human-looking girl until they saw her. Kyrie and Dearche imagined U-D would be a mecha with black feathered wings.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Remember the Book of Darkness? Turns out, it was being used to seal an even bigger Eldritch Abomination than the Darkness of the Book of Darkness.
- Sinister Silhouettes: Combined with Glowing Eyes of Doom in Sequence 04.
- SNK Boss: In the first round of her Final Boss battle, her attacks have ridiculous priority and do serious damage, her melee has more reach than most of your characters, her ranged attacks cover a wide area, and both her melee and ranged counters hit fast and hard. Combine this with a Super Armor that gives her a Mana Shield that also grants her immunity to knock back while it's up, and you have a sudden and overwhelming urge to introduce your PSP to the floor the hard way. To help you here, three of the seven characters could be given Mid Season Upgrades that grants them their default skills from Battle of Aces.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Yuri Evelvine or Yuri Eberwein? The second variant seems to be more popular in the merchandise. But the pronunciation in the game does not help, and you would pick the first variant after hearing the characters saying her name.
- Stone Wall: She's invulnerable with her Super Armor. The only way to destroy it is decreasing her Mana to zero. However, grab moves and Limit Breaks still work on her, even with her Super Armor, but they don't deal that much damage, as U-D's defense is still incredibly high.
- Super Mode: Her Combat Mode (Sentou Mode).
- Superpowered Evil Side: Stern and Vita confirm that U-D's personality changes after entering into her Combat Mode.
- Tareme Eyes: Fitting to her "innocent" nature.
- Token Mini-Moe: Of the Eltria team.
- Tragic Villain: She never wanted to become what she's now, and she believes that everyone who meets her will be killed by her, so she gave hopes up. She gets better.
- Turns Red: In Round 2 of the Final Sequence, blasting through U-D's first life bar will have her bring back her Super Armor while in Full Drive mode, rendering her invulnerable for several seconds in addition to the headaches the Super Armor brings. Bonus points for her outfit actually turning blood red during this and other parts of the story.
- On the other hand, the Super Armor is much less stable than before and she is not completely immune to close range combos even if she doesn't take any damage.
- Was Once a Man: She was the original owner of the Tome of Purple Sky.
- When She Smiles: After her Heel–Face Turn, she begins to smile often. Heck, the whole Sequence X shows her almost permanently smiling.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: An inversion of the original trope, considering that Yuri is more like a daughter to Dearche. Yuri is rarely home because she helps Amitie with her work, and both of them have to travel around Eltria. Stern tells the others that Dearche often says "Yuri isn't coming home a lot," and gets depressed sometimes.
- Woman in White: She wears a white coat and white top with a pink pattern, though, her hakama is purple. Her Combat Mode, however, has a red coat with a black hakama and a black top.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: She despises herself because all she can do is destroy, and is actually powerful enough to destroy worlds.
- You Remind Me of X: Vivio and Einhard remind her of Sankt Kaiser Olivie Sägebrecht and Hegemon Claus G.S. Ingvalt, respectively.