open/close all folders
Dark King Ixpellia
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
Back in the war-torn days of Ancient Belka, there was an empire called Galea, and the one who ruled this place was a tyrant named Ixpellia, who bore the title of Meioh, translatable as either Dark King or King of the Underworld. She loved brutality and wars and took over neighboring countries with her army of Mariage, cyborg zombies whose arms could transform into many weapons, from nigh-indestructible swords to tank-destroying cannons. Battlefields were burned into the ground and her Mariage army grew with every person killed. Worse of all, prophecies state that she will one day return to lead her Mariage army again.At least, that's what the books say. Turns out she's mostly just a little girl who was burdened with the duty to win the war for her country, and had gotten really weary of fighting since, with every country demanding the same from their personal ruler, all that happened was a war that dragged out for ages and caused needless bloodshed. Oh, and every Mariage she made had the same war-loving personality who would awaken her in every age; and they were destroy everything; and go back to sleep. Sucks to be her. She was eventually rescued by Subaru who showed her that the endless cycle of war had stopped. That humans and cyborgs were living in peace, and even the Sankt Kaiser was alive again. She even made friends with Vivio, a fellow Ancient Belka ruler. And... with the knowledge that maybe, when she awoke again in 1 year, in 10 years, in 100 or even 1000 years, that humans might be able to protect this peace; she went to sleep peacefully for the first time.As of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, she's under the care of the Saint Church. Part-way through the series, she wakes up, and by the time of ViVid Strike! she has joined the Saint Church as a cleric.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In ViVid, Ixpellia's hair is lighter and is more blond than orange.
- Anti Anti Christ: Despite being the Dark King mentioned in the prophecies, Ix hates the endless wars of Belka and prefers to live in an era of peace.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Her power to create Mariages is definitively bad, but she is a nice girl.
- Blessed with Suck: Can create Mariages which are Cyborg Zombie Super Soldiers but cannot command them in any way.
- The Bus Came Back: In chapter 63, a little Ixpellia has manifested from her main body. Nevertheless, she's awake. In Chapter 90 she wakes up for real just to give Vivio vocal support in her rematch with Miura her little self can't.
- The Cameo: Appears several times in the early ViVid chapters while still being in a coma.
- Chekhov's Gunman: It's obvious that Ixpellia will awaken and appear in ViVid, since she has several cameo appearances in the early chapters and is still mentioned in the late chapters. She awakes in chapter 63. Somehow...◊
- Convenient Coma: Was in one since the warring days of Ancient Belka, and has only awakened recently. After the incident ends, she enters another one that's said to last from one to a thousand years. She eventually awakes in chapter 63 of ViVid. But not in the traditional sense...
- Chinese Girl: The Sound Stage X artwork and her later appearances in the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid manga show her wearing a qipao. The little Ixpellia wears a white dress instead, that only resembles slightly a qipao.
- Cute Mute: The little Ixpellia cannot speak.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Her title is "Dark King"note , but she is a nice girl.
- Dying Declaration of Love: Her last words before passing into a coma are telling Subaru that she loves her.
- Fun Size: Ixpellia's consciousness has manifested itself in a miniature version of herself, similar the size of Rein and Agito.
- Flight: The little Ixpellia can fly. It would be really tough for her, if she couldn't.
- Healing Hands: ViVid Strike! reveals that she's skilled enough to mend shattered ribs,.
- In-Series Nickname: Her subjects and enemies call her "Ix", her friends call her "Ixy".
- Actually, "Ix" and "Ixy" is the same name. The ViVid fan translators translated her nickname as "Ixy", but the katakana are the same as for "Ix".
- King in the Mountain: She is the King of Galea who has been asleep in the Underwater Ruins where the Marine Garden was built on since the warring days of Ancient Belka. There's even a prophecy that foretells her awakening to lead the Mariage in another bloody war.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The opening of ViVid Strike! shows her fully awake.
- Mysterious Waif: The Dark King that everyone has been looking for turns out to be a little girl who had been pressured into the role of war leader due to her powers.
- Necromancer: She has the power to create an army of Mariage from the corpses in the battlefield.
- One-Letter Name: Officially, Ix is transcribed as "X".
- Pink Means Feminine: As a big contrast to the Mariage, Ixpellia wears a pink qipao.
- Really 700 Years Old: Even though she has the form and personality of a little girl, she has been alive since the days of Ancient Belka.
- Recurring Element: "The girl with sad eyes"
- She Is the King: The Dark King of Galea turns out to be a young girl like Vivio.
- Short Hair with Tail: Seems to be her natural hair style.
- Shrouded in Myth: She was believed to be a war-loving king because of her Mariage army.
- Squishy Wizard: According to a translation from the SSX booklet, Ix possesses no combat ability.
- Unknown Rival: Einhard considers her as rival, just because Ix is an Ancient Belkan king. Due to her sleep, Ixpellia doesn't know.
- Walking Spoiler: The opening for ViVid Strike! shows she's awake in her real body, in ViVid she's still only awake as the little Ixpellia.
- Woman in White: The little Ixpellia wears a white mini dress with white short boots.
- The World Is Just Awesome: Ultimately, seeing a world that isn't being ravaged by the horrors of war is what helps her regain the will to live. She spent most of the time before falling into her coma looking at photos of landscapes.Ixpellia: Subaru! I can see the stars in the sky!
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
The Mariage (マリアージュ Mariāju) are the primary antagonists in Sound Stage X. They appear as a group of nearly identical masked women, each about 175 cm tall, who are responsible for the series of murders on Faurus, Vaizen, and Mid-Childa in 0078.It is revealed in SSX that Mariage are artificial beings devoid of personality created from control cores produced by Dark King Ixpellia's body. During the Warring Ages, they were used by Galea to combat the Sankt Kaiser's troops, however, Ixpellia was then probably robbed of her power source and fell into hibernation, only rediscovered by certain Tredia Graze in modern times. After Tredia's death, his accomplice Runessa Magnus took over the Mariage production, spawning some 18 of them and causing the Mariage Incident of 0078. All Mariage created up to that date are presumably destroyed in the end of Sound Stage X.
- Action Bomb / Cyanide Pill: A Mariage would self-destruct if captured in a final attempt to kill its captor.
- Arm Cannon: One of the things that a Mariage could shapeshift her arm into. Capable of firing artillery that could destroy a tank in one shot.
- Creepy Monotone: They never change the tone of their voices.
- Badass Army: The power of the infinitely growing Mariage army is compared with the Saints Cradle.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: A Mariage could shapeshift their arm into a nigh-unbreakable sword or lance.
- Blood Knight: Their defining characteristic - Mariage are absolutely dedicated to victory at any cost and war. Their creator hates this.
- Dark Action Girl: They are one of the darkest examples in this franchise.
- Faceless Goons: All of the created Mariage wear masks and seem to be identical to one another.
- Hive Mind: The Mariage all share data with each other and consider their individual selves expendable. Quattro even mentions that their tactics are like those of insects.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Ginga's interrogation of Jail reveals that the Mariage have a taste for human flesh.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: When the Redshirt Army tries to gun down a Mariage, she simply deflects all of their shots with her arm blade before killing them.
- Meaningful Name: "Mariage" is supposed to be an Ancient Belkan word for "puppet". However, there is no such word in modern German (which is otherwise identical with Belkan) and the closest-sounding word, "Marionette", is of French origin.
- Monogender Monsters: The Mariage are all female.
- Night of the Living Mooks: The Mariage are created from reanimated corpses.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Nearly literally with the Mariage, with only the Pirate part not fitting.
- Not Using the "Z" Word: The Mariage, a horde of single-minded man-eating undead that are raised by a necromancer from corpses, are never referred to as "zombies" or "undead". The term used for them is "Corpse Weapons".
- One-Way Visor: All of them wears a visor. In ViVid, Einhart is wearing a similar one.
- Pyro Maniac: Modus operandi of the Mariage is to torch down any place that they attack.
- Sealed Army in a Can: The Mariage were uncovered during an archaeological dig.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: The Mariage could shapeshift their arms into various weapons.
- Voice of the Legion: The Mariage speak in a deep and echoey tone.
Tredia GrazeA mysterious figure who once fought for the Orussian Liberation front, and is believed to be responsible for the rise of the Mariage. He was also an associate of Jail Scaglietti. It turns out that he's been dead for four years.
- Big Bad: Turns out to be a Red Herring, but he was the Predecessor Villain.
- Dead All Along: For four years.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Is eaten by the Mariage four years ago.
- Parental Substitute: To Runessa.
- Red Herring: Runessa uses his name as an alias, so nobody would get the idea that she's the culprit.
- Right-Wing Militia Fanatic: He's soldier from a world embroiled in constant war and believes that other worlds should understand the same pain that his did.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Toredia or Tredia?
- Vehicular Theme Naming: After Mitsubishi Tredia
Voiced by: Yuu Asakawa
Teana's partner on the Mariage case. It's later revealed that the apparent antagonist, Tredia, is dead, and that she was the one responsible for the killings. Teana eventually catches on and arrests her.
- Affectionate Nickname: Teana calls her "Rune"note .
- Big Bad: As Tredia's Spiritual Successor, she's the main villain of SSX.
- Child Soldiers: Orussia had a lot of these. Runessa, who was born there, had fought on the battlefields and slept with her gun for as long as she could remember before an NGO rescued her.
- The Coroner: Handles autopsies and verification, she usually works behind the scenes. And she's 18 at the time when she and Teana work together.
- Dark Magical Girl: If Teana grew up on Orussia, would she be different at all from Runessa? However, Runessa is not a mage.
- Detective Mole
- Dragon Ascendant
- First-Name Basis: Offers this to Ginga when she offers the same, because of her common surname Magnus. But she also admits her first name "Runessa" is also very common by orphans from her home planet Orussia.
- Foil: For Teana, as she is basically Teana's personal Dark Magical Girl (despite not being a mage at all). Both of them are orphans, raised by parental substitutes, who died when they were children, leaving with a huge complex and a desire to prove something to everyone; both have learned shooting and fighting from an early age, but rely more on cunning and calculation than on their martial prowess. On the other hand, Teana had lucked out to spend her formative years on the relatively-peaceful Mid, eventually apprenticed to two of the world's top super-heroines (Nanoha, then Fate), while Runessa had, in her mind, never actually left Orussia, still clinging to her child soldier mindset, it seems.
- Happily Adopted: By Tredia.
- Hesitation Equals Dishonesty: Teana notices from her hesitation and seemingly sounding lonely that her claim that she never knew Tredia was not true.
- In the Back: Teana shoots her down with a stun bullet from behind.
- The Lancer: To Teana.
- Red Eyes! Take Warning: Yes, she's evil.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Her Silver Dagger, unlike most of the guns in the series, uses real bullets.
- Right Behind Me: Thinking out loud about her plans is her undoing. Lampshaded by Teana.
- The Stoic: She has a very professional and serious manner.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Unlike the other characters from the TSAB, Runessa past as a Child Soldier is played for drama.
- Un-Sorcerer: She's not a mage, but she's a skilled soldier. However, she has nothing done to be a Badass Normal.
- Vehicular Theme Naming: After Nissan R'nessa and Daewoo Magnus. Her fellow Enforcer Teana is also named after the Nissan Teana.
- Was It All a Lie?: On Teana's offer for her to become a partner. Teana says she meant it at the time.
Voiced by: Anri Katsu
Subaru's commanding officer, and head of Disaster Relief for the TSAB.
- The Cameo: He has an appearance in ViVid, when Subaru is going to take her holiday.
- Emergency Services: Commander of the Disaster Relief branch of TSAB.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Despite being renowned as a hero for his actions during the fire, believes that he's nothing special.
- It Never Gets Any Easier: Voltz and Subaru talk about this in regards to their job as Disaster Relief after Subaru watched a man die right in front of her.
- The Mentor: To Subaru.
- Scars Are Forever: From helping out at the airport fire Nanoha saved Subaru from.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Waltz or Voltz?
- Vehicular Theme Naming: After Toyota Voltz.