A list of characters from Gamaran. Warning, as there are spoilers ahead. Please notice this: the western name order is used instead of the Japanese one, so is first name and then surname.
open/close all folders
The Ogame Ryuu (Great Turtle style) is a school of swordmastery and known for being very powerful. The members carry two swords with them and use a special style based on the five elements (Thunder, Fire, Void, Water and Earth). Their former leader was Jinsuke Kurogane and the current one is Kamedenbo Oizumi / Shinnojo Sakura.
Gama KuroganeThe young protagonist and skilled heir of the Ogame Ryuu. He's hired by Naoyoshi in order to take part to the Unabara Tournament, in order to make Naoyoshi Daimyo and show that the Ogame Ryuu is the strongest style. He also wants to find his rogue father and kills him. His specialty is the Lightning Form. By the end of the manga, he's walking the earth, trying to surpass Jinsuke using his own method.
- Animal Motifs: The dog, according to Iori.
- Anime Hair: All spiky and messy.
- Bad Ass: Even more so after the one year timeskip.
- Berserk Button: Mocking his "manliness" and wounding his friends.
- Death-or-Glory Attack: How Kamui works: it's a slash aimed at deviating the enemy sword and slice him dead at the same time. However a failure will result in death.
- The Determinator: Especially against Arata Nakaizumi and his nasty arrows.
- When Toujou points out that even if he wins against him, he'll still have to fight all the soldiers of the Muhou Ryu, he answers that, even alone, he'll go on and save Naoyoshi.
- Diagonal Cut: The typical results of his attacks.
- Flash Step: The Narukami and the Kagenui attacks involves this.
- Flat Character: Interestingly, this is admitted In-Universe: In Juuren Village, Gama admits that he's all about swordfighting and becoming stronger, as that's the way Jinsuke raised him. That's why he fears losing so much: because if he lose at the only thing he's good at, there'll be nothing left of him as a person.
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: Subverted: the main character is a swordsman, and at one point he fights the Kyosen Ryuu warriors, whose martial arts revolves on bare-handed combat.
- Hollywood Healing: Averted: during the battle against Arata he gets wounded to the right leg. Some days later he fights Sakon and the wounded leg still causes some inconvenience, as well as the wound in the arm from a week earlier.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Sometimes limited by his inablity to cut through armors without special techniques.
- It's Personal: He wants to kill his own father Jinsuke with his own hands. Eventually, when he has the chance of killing a harmless Jinsuke, he refuses, claiming that now Jin has nothing left that he can trample, so he opts for surpassing him in his own way.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Sometimes averted, but he still can use them well nevertheless.
- Lamarck Was Right: He has the same "Eyes of Divine Sight" as Jinsuke, according to Toujou. Unlike Jinsuke and Ranmaru though he never bothered to use them properly.
- Lightning Bruiser: His favourite style is the Inazuchi Kata (Lightining God Form), which relies on speed.
- Made of Iron: Can take a really huge amount of punishment, though he's usually smart enough to simply dodge/parry dangerous attacks.
- Megaton Punch: His post-timeskip Swordless Tiger Drill is powerful enough to send adult people flying.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: He's very strong, seen when he knock out Kosaburo Hyuga unarmed. He gets taller after the timeskip though.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: It seems that each new victory is making Gama more and more arrogant and conceited, as seen when he angrily dismiss Naoyoshi when he asks him to spare Ranmaru when he was about to finish him off. Alternatively, it was a Jerkass Façade.
- Training from Hell: Did one under Iori's tutelage. Another one later in order to best the Muho Ryuu.
- Walking the Earth: In the manga's finale.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark blue hair. Wor Of God implies that he got it from his Missing Mom.
SenkaKamedenbo's daughter. She takes care of the Ogame Ryuu dojo.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her "pig".
- Big Eater: Implied to be one by Zenmaru. Comes back later as a Running Gag.
- Cool Big Sis: Becomes one for Yumeji.
- Hidden Buxom: She claims so while trying to flirt with Iori.
- Informed Flaw: She's often called pig or fat. She's pretty much normal.
- Ms. Fanservice: While lacking shapely curves or large boobs she's really pretty.
- Out of Focus: Since the series is mainly focused on the fightings, she rarely appears.
- Tomboy: Was one, judging from Zenmaru's comment.
- Volleying Insults: With the Hyuga Brothers and Miika.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Seems to be one, though she still has her faults.. for examples, forcing the Hyuga brother to do all the houseworks.
Kamedenbo OizumiCurrent leader of the Ogame Ryuu and Gama's master. He's currently retired from his job, but can still pack a punch if required. In the finale, he survived the Shogunate invasion and now he's back at the Juren Village.
- Bald of Awesome: He may have lost all his hair, but is still a force to be reckoned with.
- Big Eater/Trademark Favorite Food: He's a big fan of dango, and during the assault to the inner citadel of the Muhou School complains about having eat too much dango.
- Flash Step: His Hoarfrost Thunderclap attack.
- Old Master: He trained Gama in the past.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Tries to kill Tsuchiryuu by throwing a sword at him.
- Turtle Power: Has a cute turtle on his head and, well, his style is named after turtles.
Iori SengokuA high-level member to the Ogame Ryuu who served as Gama's mentor. He trains him after his victory over the Kyosen Ryuu. He's described as a powerful but sadistic fighter, master of all the five forms and often compared to a demon because of his power. In the finale, he's walking the earth, trying to overcome Jinsuke's skills.
- Aloof Big Brother: Play this role to Gama.
- Ambiguously Evil: Up to the Myoujin School arc he looked very suspicious and one of the author's earlier plans was to make him the Final Boss. Ultimately subverted, as in he's still loyal to the good guys, even if he's more of an anti-hero.
- Antihero: He's a member of the Ogame Ryuu, but not as much of a nice guy as Shin.
- Badass: Easily the strongest member of the Ogame Ryuu, he's the habit of inflicting a Curb-Stomp Battle to all those who stand against him. Even Jinsuke respects him.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: At first seemingly played straight when Iori infiltrates the Muhou Ryuu's HQ alone and bucthers nearly everyone who stands in his way. However Ango Kuryuu later pointed out that Iori didn't got away unscathed and was actually injured to the chest, even if he was trying to hide it.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Critics Gama for his mediocre fighting skills and then proceeds to defeat him using only his scabbard. Later he kills the Souen Ryuu member Ukyo in an istant. These are only the first two of many others. During the finaal battle, he's the one on the receiving end thanks to Jinsuke, and even after gaining the upper edge, is ultimately defeated.
- Flash Step: His attacks, Kosen and Narugami involves this to some degree.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The first character to introduce the Kosen, which was his signature move. During his final battle against Jinsuke, he's defeated by Jinsuke's Kosen.
- Jerkass: With a very tiny heart of gold.
- Master Swordsman: The strongest in the Ogame Ryuu along with Shinnojo and Kashitarou.
- Megaton Punch: His fists too are extremely dangerous. Specifically, the "Swordless Tiger Drill".
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: After wounding Jinsuke in their final battle, he mocks him, telling him that because of the worryings of the Muhou School he's now strained and can no longer fight at full power. Then Jinsuke gets rid of this "strain" and starts overpowering Iori.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: The idea of carrying Senka on his back so that he can feel her breasts doesn't even mellow him a bit. Senka also calls him out on this.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: He refused to took part to the battle between Tessai and Jinsuke in the past. In reality, he actually faced Jinsuke alone but was defeated.
- Oh Crap!: Not even he's immune to shock. A great example is during the Ayanaka Forest Arc, when he notices that Hanamura's about to slash him down.
- One-Man Army: He slaughtered 40 members of the Muhou Ryuu without breaking a sweat, and later threatens to take down with him at least half of Jinsuke's Advisors.
- The Nicknamer: When confronted by Maniwa's division, he give them numbers based on their performance and calls them by that number.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Jinsuke first met Iori when he was a nine-years old orphan trying to attack two ronin who murdered his family in cold blood.
- Sadist Teacher: According to Zenmaru.
- Walking the Earth: Has a penchant for spending a lot of time wandering around. Does this too in the finale.
- Wild Card: That's why Shinnojo states that he can't become the new leader.
Shinnojo SakuraMember of the Ogame Ryuu dojo always seen together with Zenmaru, former member of the Itten Ryu. He joins Gama in the Unabara Tournament and eventually becomes the leader of the school when Kamedenbo retires. His specialty is the Water Dragon Form. In the end, he's seen training the Hyuuga Brothers as the new leader of the school.
- Alliterative Name: Shinnojo Sakura.
- Badass: Almost on par with Iori in terms of swordsmanship.
- Bishōnen: A trait which was even noted by his former master, the leader of the Itten Ryu.
- The Combat Pragmatist: He's absolutely not above attacking distracted opponent, no matter if the victory is considered anticlimatical.
- The Comically Serious: When compared to Zenmaru.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: In the finale, to the Hyuuga brothers.
- Genius Bruiser: A deadly fighter who happens to also be very smart.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Seen executing a ridicolously fast Diagonal Cut against Amane, of the Souen Ryuu.
- In-Series Nickname: "My name is Shinnojo Sakura, but everyone just call me Shin".
- Master Swordsman: His style mainly involves tricky attacks, including a slash that changes direction at the last moment and another one that turns into a stabbing motion halfway through. He can also fight on par with Iori and even wound him.
- No Sense of Direction: And blames Zenmaru for that. Is eventually lampshaded by Iori.Shin:" Let's see... I think we should go East!"Iori:" Ok guys, let's go West then."
- Only Sane Man: Compared to Gama and Zenmaru.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Zenmaru and Iori's red.
- The Stoic: The calmest and most composed member of the school, aside from Kamedenbo.
- Tranquil Fury: When facing Masaku Nikaido, the man who destroyed his old dojo.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: In his youth he was happy, confident and carefree... then Nikaido showed up and took away everything from him, plunging him into an Heroic BSOD.
Zenmaru IchinoseMember of the Ogame Ryuu always seen with Shinnojo. Specialized in the Fire element, he's always seen carrying a huge sword. Revealed to be a member of the famed Ichinose family. In the end, after recovering from the final battle he has decided to go back to his clan.
- Animal Motifs: Frequently referred to as "Monkey".
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: The style of the Ichinose.
- Author Avatar: Word of God admitted that Zenmaru's early portrayal as a "loser" comes a bit from himself in the past.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He slowly calms down as the series goes on, but he's still this in the main group of heroes.
- Butt Monkey: Often called monkey, even his own partners expect him to lose in a battle.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The Butt Monkey of the show, until he faces Sasuke...
- Curtains Match the Window: Zenmaru has red hair and eyes.
- Fiery Red Head: Hot-tempered and inexplicably red-haired. The latter may be a trait of the Ichinose clan.
- Hidden Depths: He fights for the sake of his clan. Who apparently disowned him for being too weak.
- Instant Death Radius: His Gurensen attack, thanks to his very long sword.
- It's Personal: His desire to cut down Kai. Eventually subverted, as he genuinely love his brother and just wants to set the score with him and not his death.
- Jabba Table Manners: He gorges himself on rice and fish, which he stabs on the chopsticks.
- The Lancer: Though he shares many qualities with The Big Guy, He can be seen more close to Gama than Shinnojo or Iori, fitting this role, mainly after the Time Skip.
- Lightning Bruiser: His fighting style with the Sadanaga blade, despite its size and weight. Post Time Skip, he wipes out seven warriors in mere seconds before getting serious.
- My Greatest Failure: His inability to fight back Kai when he revolted. Later, his inability to save Kai from death, despite managing to surpass him.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: To be honest, Zenmaru is pretty powerful, is just that Gama, Shin and Iori are even stronger compared to him. By the end of the manga he has become just as powerful as anyone else.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Shinnojo.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Which he also uses to tie up his Sadanaga.
- Took a Level in Badass: After his training with Kashitarou. Ok, he's still the weakest of the foursome, but not necessarly weak.
- After finally realizing how to really use the Sadanaga, he gets a handful of new levels, enough to kill a member of Jinsuke's Personal Corps.
- Eventually confirmed in chapter 188 that he has indeed surpassed Kai and is now giving a harsh lesson to Kujou Mario aka Jinsuke's second in command and the only one other than Jin that mastered all the forms of his school.
- Weapon of Choice: While he carries around two swords like all the members of the Ogame Ryuu, but his favourite weapon is the Sadanaga Kutaragi.
- Ancestral Weapon: The Sadanaga swords are the signature weapon of the Ichinose clan.
- BFS: Is very large and other enemies point out how it should be absurdly hard or at least slow to swing around. Not for him.
- Named Weapons: His Sadanaga is called "Kutaragi".
- One-Handed Zweihänder: Only once for now, usually he swings it with both his hands. During the final battle against Kujou, he proves his strength and anger by cutting the bastard down with only one hand, but still at full force.
- Hearing Voices: Mysteriously enough, Zenmaru hears/hallucinates a voice coming from the Sadanaga and guiding him during his battle against Arimaru that the latter cannot hear. Whatever the cause, it helps him improving his fighting skills by taking full advantage of his sword.
Tessai MyougaMember of the Ogame Ryu, who once rivaled Jinsuke in swordmastery and was one of the possible candidates to the rulership of the Ogame School, but was murdered by Jinsuke.
- Badass: Powerful enough to clash with Jinsuke.
- Master Swordsman: Said to be on almost on par with Jinsuke. Sadly almost...
- Nice Guy: Not only a powerful swordsman, but also a cool-headed, wise leader. He even tried to reason with Jinsuke when he decided to leave the school.
- Perma Stubble
- Posthumous Character
RintarouA man from Holland who ended up in Unabara and was helped by Jinsuke, he became the leader of the Juuren Village, the "Holy Land" of the Ogame Ryuu where the style was founded. He has two daughters (Yumeji and Miika) and a son, Kashitarou.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Sports an odd behaviour.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Think he's a random, big dumb guy? Wrong...
- Gratuitous English: Calls Kamedenbo "Master Turtle".
- Large Ham: Seen when he greets the Ogame School members.
- Malaproper: Speaks badly and can't read. Justified because he's from Holland and hasn't learnt Japanese yet.
Yumeji and MiikaRintarou's daughters. Miika is the eldest sister and is a beautiful, Proper Lady. Yumeji is a tomboish girl who can use a sword and appears to have a soft spot for Gama.
- Action Girl: Yumeji, who's also the only female character who can fight in the series, though Iori gave her a two out of ten.
- Braids of Action: Yumeji sports them.
- Ms. Fanservice: Miika, much to Senka's dismay...
- Ship Tease: Yumeji with Gama.
- Shipper on Deck: Miika suggest that Yumeji should pay Gama a visit... during night time...
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Miika. She does have however a more malicious side of herself and, like Senka, forces the Hyuuga Brothers to do all the cleaning.
Kawasaki and ShimodaMembers of the Ogame Ryuu, they're the guards of the Juuren village.
- Battle Butler: To Rintarou's family.
- Big Damn Heroes: Kawasaki performs one to save Yumeji from a Muhou Ryu Mook.
- Elite Mook: Can easily take care of the Muho Ryuu mooks, but stand no chance against the Division Commanders.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Kawasaki is stabbed in the shoulders by Mamiya and left unable to do anything to save the ladies or the Hyuuga Brothers.
- Humble Hero: Kawasaki, who introduces himself as "just a mere servant" before gutting an attacking Muhou Ryu Soldier in a blow.
KashitarouA resident of Juuren Village and Rintarou's eldest son, is a master of the Ogame Ryuu style and lives like an hermit on the top of Juuren Mountain. He trains Gama and Zenmaru for a year and help them against the Muhou Ryuu members. In the finale, he decided to study the five forms of the Ogame school back from scratch in order to create the ultimate fighting style.
- Abhorrent Admirer: To Senka. In this case, abhorrent because of his unhealthy quirks...
- Amusing Injuries: After making some really pervert comments at Senka.
- Anachronism Stew: He seems to wear perfectly functioning modern glasses.
- Ass Shove: Apparently that's what he wants to do to Senka. With an apple.
- Badass: Not at the level of the other characters, but when he gets serious...
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: How he defeats Yamanoue Kiyomori.
- Big Damn Heroes: Jumps into action just in time to save Zenmaru from Kiyomori.
- But Not Too Foreign: He's half ducthman.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: A genius swordsman and an expert of the Human body, he also has 0 social skills, call an apple tree by (feminine) name and has erotic fantasies about apples and women's butts.
- Genius Bruiser: He studies anatomy in order to improve swordsmanship.
- Master Swordsman: In a rather singular case, he is one in theory only. Not only he's studied all the elemental forms of the Ogame Ryuu, but he created a new, sixth form called Kamui and taught it to Gama and Zenmaru.
- Nice Guy: A very gentle and caring mentor for Gama and Zenmaru, he also helps the latter against Kiyomori.
- Non-Action Guy: Because of his weak body, he rarely fights.
- Shout-Out: Two possible ones based on his name:
- The First to Kashitarou Ito, military advisor of The Shinsengumi, fitting his role as a "advisor" to the main group.
- The latter to Momotaro. Firstly Momotaro means "Peach Boy", while Kashitaro can mean "Pear boy". The former led a war against the Oni of Shikoku with the help of a dog, a monkey and a pheasant. The latter helps Gama and Zenmaru (dog-themed and monkey-themed) against Jinsuke, who was referred to as a Demon at least once.
A recent Ryuu of swordsmen, is composed by the two brothers Masato and Kosaburo. They're hired by Naoyoshi to test the worth of the Ogame Ryuu but they're defeated by Gama.
Masato and Kosaburo HyugaThe only members of their style, they fight in couple. Masato is the elder brother and relies on his mighty strength in battle, while Kosaburo opts for sneak attacks. After they defeat, they join the Ogame Ryuu as low-level apprentices. In the finale, they're finally being properly trained in the ways of the Ogame Ryuu.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Both brothers.
- Badass Boast: Parodied after they join the Ogame Ryuu, as they claim that they have no rivals in cleaning floor and picking up mushrooms.
- Battle Couple: They fight in couple and Masato always take on the stronger opponent.
- Butt Monkey: They more or less become this after joining the Ogame school...If they weren't already this beforehand.
- The Brute: Masato. He can crush wooden swords and even rocks in his grip, but as both Gama and Iori noted, this type of strength is useless in a swordfight.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Kosaburo.
- Heel-Face Turn: train as members of the Ogame Ryuu after losing to Gama
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Kosaburo tries to kill Gama with a Iai attack to catch him offguard. It doesn't go well for him.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Got degraded to this after joining the Ogame Ryu.
- Red Baron: They called themselves the "Twin Dragons of the Ogame School".
- Small Name, Big Ego: They boast about their skills and powers, and then a fourteen years old swordsman knock them both out.
- Those Two Bad Guys: When introduced.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: After 22 and more volumes of humiliations and bullying they're finally taught the arts of the Ogame School.
- Wax On, Wax Off: Subverted: They think that doing the laundry and cleaning the Dojo will improve their skills. Iori brutally points out that this alone won't make them good warriors.
The Tengen Ryuu (Heavenly Illusion Style) is one of Unabara's most famous schools, and practice the art of the naginata-jutsu. They're the first Ryuu faced by Gama.
Baian MakiAlso known as the "Drunkard", Baian is the deadly master of the Tengen Ryuu, a confident and powerful warrior and one of the last great masters of the naginata.
- The Alcoholic: The nickname "Drunkard" should give you a clue....
- Blade on a Stick: First a naginata, and later a Bisento.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Blonde for some reason, and antagonistic.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: At one point he kisses his sake jug, and Eima's flashback shows that he was pretty quirky even back then.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: At first he seems just an arrogant and smug warrior who drinks too much saké. Is later revealed to be a powerful opponent on the battlefield.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Back in the first chapter, in the flashback showing the daimyo announcing the Tournament, we have a shot of several warriors seen from behind. Baian can be spot on the let.
- Expy: In-Universe, after chapter 155 is pretty clear that he modeled himself after his master Toujo.
- Eyepatch of Power: Gama wound his left eye, forcing him to wear a bandage on that eye for the rest of the combat.
- Go Out with a Smile: How he dies.
- Graceful Loser: After doing his best to chop down Gama, he recognize his valor in his dying thoughts.
- Let's Get Dangerous: When he decides to use the Bisento instead of the naginata. And stops drinking.
- What Could Have Been: Apparently he was going to have much more screentime and become a recurring villain, but eventually the author was forced to cut that off.
Eima YakushijiThe second stongest warrior of the Tengen Ryuu and the first member to join Baian, with whom he has a deep relationship. He comes back after the Time Skip under the tutelage of Baian's master Toujou and this time he's out for Gama's head.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Noticeably big, oddly shaped eyebrows.
- Blade on a Stick: His has a knife hidden in the handle. After the Time Skip he uses the same kind of Bisento as Baian did.
- Determinator: Post Time Skip, Toujou lampshades that even if he's not as skilled as Gama, his sheer determination fills the gap nicely.
- Gonk: After the Time Skip, when his face is horribly emaciated compared to before.
- Made of Iron: After his training, he can ignore some serious wounds to his chest and legs and required two fatal blows before biting the dust.
- Revenge Before Reason: After the Time Skip.
- Scars Are Forever: Has a vertical scar on his chin, likely from Baian's Tsubame (Swallow) attack.
- Sole Survivor: The only member of the Tengen Ryuu who was spared after Baian's death.
- Took a Level in Badass: After being trained by Toujou he can now fight head on with Gama.
Hiyoshi, Masakiyo Yukimura and Junnosuke AkaboshiThe three strongest warriors of the Tengen Ryuu.
- Axe Crazy: Junnosuke at first looks like a Boisterous Bruiser, then Hiyoshi and Yukimura mentions that we he fights he goes on a killing rampage and that the last time he fought he raped and killed a girl who casually caught his attention.
- Blade on a Stick: Again, as seen above, is their fighting style.
- Combat Pragmatist: They rely often on low attacks or combinated attacks.
- Eye Scream: Junnosuke is killed by Gama who slice his eyes open.
- Facial Markings: Hiyoshi.
- Five-Bad Band
- The Leader: Baian. (He's the head of the school, and the strongest).
- The Dragon: Eima. (Baian's best friend and second strongest).
- The Brute: Junnosuke. (Largest member with brutish habits, and not very bright).
- The Evil Genius: Hiyoshi. (Smallest yet cunning and fast).
- The Chick: Yukimura. (The most noticeable of the group).
- Hot-Blooded: Junnosuke and Yukimura.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Hiyoshi, who's then used as a literal meat shield.
- Oh Crap!: Yukimura, as he realize that Gama's attack has sliced his steel pole and his face.
- Only One Name: Hiyoshi.
- The Stoic: Hiyoshi.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Junnosuke, Yukimura and Hiyoshi have no meaningful background, appears out of nowhere and are killed before we can learn more of them.
The Nakaizumi Ryuu (Inner Spring Style) is composed by archers.
Arata NakaizumiLeader of the Nakaizumi. He fights Gama and almost end up killing him, but is spared. After the timeskip he sides with the Ogame Ryuu in their battle against the Muhou Ryuu. In the finale, he's shown to have survived the final invasion.
- Archer Archetype: He's calm, cold and stern though he sometimes loses his cool. Also, unlike many other archer characters, he's shown to be really muscular after the Time Skip.
- Cold Sniper: With arrows.Becomes a Friendly Sniper after the Time Skip.
- The Combat Pragmatist: Rather than waiting for him, he ambushes a wounded Gama as he's coming back from his fierce battle against the Tengen Ryuu.
- Big Damn Heroes: Pulls one in chapter 110
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Semi-averted by the deadly Fang arrow: Even if it took seven years to master it, he can only hit targets in a certain area around him, as the Fang is very difficult to control.
- Oh Crap!: As Gama manages to slowly approaching him by parrying his arrows one by one.
- Trick Arrow: His specialty. So far he has used three of them: Devastation, a heavy arrow with a lead tip, Circle, a special arrow which can curve midflight and Fang, a sharp arrow made for slashing and maiming the victim.
- Post Time Skip we have "Hao", Lord of Destruction, which can remove a man's limbs with ease and break down gates.
- Villainous Breakdown: As he's slowly bested by Gama.
- The Worf Effect: He tries to kill Toujou with a Hao arrow, but it fails because, as Toujou pointed out, he waited too long before letting the string go and the arrow lose power.
Kyosen Ryuu (Thousand Mirrors Style) focuses on unarmed combat and attacks that can damage the inner organs and break bones. They try to ambush Gama while he's recovering from his battle against the Nakaizumi, but their members are killed, forcing them to use Sakon.
Sakon DaimaruThe supposed leader of the Kyosen Ryuu, Sakon is an extremely powerful warrior, but the hellish training forced on him by his ambitious elder brother Ryuugo ends up damaging his mind. Now Sakon is a beast-like warrior who fights only on istincts and fear.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: The fighting style of his school.
- Blood Upgrade: In order to "awaken" him, Ryuugo presses his forehead until it starts to bleed. Furthermore the more he's wounded, the more he's obsessed with destroying the man who hurted him.
- Extremity Extremist: Unlike the other members, Sakon can deliver an organ-crushing attack with his legs.
- Handicapped Badass: His mind state isn't exactly good....
- Lightning Bruiser: Can be really fast and hit like a truck.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Apparently defeated when Gama slice his arm off, he still has the strength to rise back, kill his brother and charge at Gama one last time.
- Screaming Warrior: When he goes berserk.
- The Dog Bites Back: He kills his brother Ryuugo (who was insulting him) by hitting his neck bones so hard he damages his own fingers.
- Training from Hell: Ryuugo locked him in a dungeon and pitted him against a whole horde of adult prisoners, forcing him to kill them all or being mauled to death.
- Tyke Bomb: For his brother.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: He was absolutely adorable and kind. Ryuugo didn't approve.
- Villainous Friendship: Type III with Ryuugo.
Ryuugo and Goro DaimaruMembers of the Kyosen Ryuu, Ryuugo is the de facto leader of the clan and considers Sakon as his trusty weapon. Goro is much more calm and less ruthless.
- Ambition Is Evil: Ryuugo turned his adorable, peace-loving genius brother into a mindless killer machine for his plans.
- Dragon Ascendant: Goro is the only surviving Kyosen Ryuu member.
- Flash Step: Ryuugo can do a sort of "Flash Hop" in order to get close to the enemy in the blink of an eye.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Ryuugo has his neck broken by Sakon.
- Only Sane Man: Goro is the sanest and most reasonable of all the brothers.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Ryuugo is manipulative, competitive and power-hungry. Goro is calmer, nicer and actually cares for his clan. Sadly, is also less action-prone than Ryuugo.
- Token Good Teammate: Arguably Goro, who doesn't even take part to the fight.
Shinosuke, Genzo and Soji
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: All three of them.
- Axe Crazy: Genzo enjoys killing a little too much.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: As Gama pointed out, if their fists don't connect, they're useless. Expecially bad with Soji, who's sliced offpanel.
- Elite Mooks: Essentially they're this to Ryuugo.
- Establishing Character Moment: Genzo violently kills Tani by blocking his lungs (so he can't call for help) and then by destroying his spleen and stomach, causing him to spill a lot of high pressure blood from the face.
- Kick the Dog: What Genzo did to Tani.
- The Starscream: Soji, who's willing to kill Ryuugo and take his place.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Unlike Goro, Ryuugo and Sakon we don't learn much of them before they're killed.
A Ryuu focused in the use of the Kusarigama and similar chained weapons. It's also famed for managing to destroy one of the Five Dragons (strongest ryuu) in their first round, as well as murdering all the members of the other ryuu in their group.
Muraku MatsumotoLeader of the Kasanemanji Ryuu (Layers of Manji), he's a stern and cold man feared by his own men. He later joins the Muhou Ryuu and become one of Jinsuke's personal guards, but is eventually killed off for real by Gama.
- Alliterative Name: The author even admitted to like this choice.
- Armor Is Useless: Averted: He wears an almost unbreachable mail made from the hair of the people he murdered.
- Axe Crazy: Post Time Skip has grown much more sadistic and obsessed with Gama.
- Bad Boss: Don't expect to live long under his rulership, especially if you manage to get him angry.
- Bald of Evil: Decorated with markings. The author joked that is because of his baldness that he developed his hair fetish.
- Berserk Button: When a nameless Muhou Ryuu mook calls him a weirdo for his homosexual tendencies, he answers back that he's pretty normal... and then headshots him with his chain.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Briefly during the last confrontation with Gama.
- Blood Knight: Gets excited after fighting Gama and witnessing the Narukami in action.
- Depraved Homosexual: And tries to hit on Gama, which makes him a pedophile as well. He also claimed to have killed all the young warriors who "loved".
- Disproportionate Retribution: Post Time Skip, even just crossing swords with Gama without his approval will result in a chained weight to the head.
- The Dreaded: His own men are scared shitless of him. The fact that he defeated one of the strongest local school probably helped.
- Dual Wielding: His Secret Weapon, "Two Headed Bell Snake". It consist in two chains tipped with metal weigths.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Back in the first chapter, in the flashback showing the daimyo announcing the Tournament, we have a shot of several warriors seen from behind. Muraku is there in the middle, though he wears a different outfit.
- Enemy Mine: Briefly holds Saizo still so that Gama can remove the paralyzing needles and counterattack.
- Epic Flail: His weapon is a Kusarigama, and he mostly uses the flail-side to attack.
- Exotic Weapon Supremacy: It's also noted that he can skillfully use the scythe to parry any attack, which is impressive as the scythe is not suited for defense.
- Eye Scream: In his first fight he use his flail to smash the eyes out of his opponents.
- Face-Heel Turn: Joins the Muhou Ryuu and becomes a member of Jinsuke's bodyguards.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Gets hit by Gama's Narukami X Kosen attack, which both stabs him and slice his intestines to ribbons.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: The second time he shows up, he smash open the heads of two underlings, to the point that there's a "censor block" over the hit area.
- Knight of Cerebus: When he shows up the first time he's much stronger than Gama's ordinary opponents and nearly kills him.
- Lecherous Licking: He licks his lips when excited, and even licks his own hair mail.
- Nightmare Face: During his second and last battle against Gama.
- No Sell: After seeing Gama using the Narukami against Saizou he managed to memorize it and promised to find a way to neutralize it, and during his battle against Gama he goads him into using the Narukami so that he can block it. Subverted, as Gama remembered that detail and so modified the Narukami on the spot, allowing him to fatally wound Muraku.
- Orgasmic Combat: A good fight will cause him to lick his lips. An excellent fight will literally give him an erection.
- Stalker with a Crush: Has become one towards Gama.
- The Stoic: He's extremely serious.
- Not So Stoic: Get's excited to the point that he can't fight properly when facing powerful enemies.
- Villainous Breakdown: "Why won't you accept my love, Gama kun?"
Jaki and KotaroTwo members of the Kasanemanji Ryuu, they're the first opponent faced by Gama in the second half of the tournament.
- Armor Is Useless: Averted, Jaki wears a chainmail that protects him from Gama's sword.
- Avenging the Villain: Kotaro proclaims this when Jaki is killed by Gama.
- Berserk Button: Jaki's is being called "Bastard" (or "Troll", depending on the translation).
- Chain Pain: Kotaro's secret weapon, Mitsuboshi (Three Stars) is composed by three chains hanging from his sleeve. The "sickle" is now a Blade Below the Shoulder attached to a bracelet.
- Epic Flail: A part from their Kusarigama, they both have a secret "Deadly Weapon". Jaki has Jagon (Golden Snake), a massive spiked flail with a short chain attached to his sickle's blade.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Gama use the Kosen attack to "drill throught" Jaki's mail.
- Obviously Evil: Jaki. Is short, bald, has a mean scar and one of his eyes has black sclera and white iris.
- Oh Crap!: When their boss Muraku shows up and tell them to quit their challenge.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Jaki's the more impulsive and violent, while Kotaro is the more laid-back and calm.
- Those Two Bad Guys: They're always seen together, and implied to be buddies.
The Tamagakushi school (Hidden Soul School)is one of the many Ryuu focused on ninjutsu and member of the "Five Dragons". They're decided to kill Naoyoshi and finish off the Ogame Ryuu at any cost.
Saizo FujibayashiThe Leader of the clan, is a young and smug warrior who looks very confident in his skills. He's determinated to show that Ninjustu is better than any martial art. He's known for a secret technique that cause paralyze his opponents.
- Affably Evil: He can be scarily vicious if he has, but is nevertheless very polite and talkative.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Believes that his ninjutsu is the stronest art of all Unabara.
- Curtains Match the Window: Green hair and eyes.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: How he dies.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: With his kunai. Specifically, he was able to hit a sitting man in the forehead, while said man was in a street and nearly covered by two guys and Saizo was standing on a roof nearly out of sight. Oh, all this at night.
- Ninja: His style.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed/Shout-Out: Named after two famous Ninja from the Sengoku Period (Saizo Kirigakure and Nagato Fujibayashi).
- The Paralyzer: Known for a secret technique that can paralyze a person. It consist in throwing small but sturdy needles in the victim's joint and muscles.
- Red Baron: "Soul Binder" Saizou, for his paralyzing powers.
- Smug Snake: He loses his smug only once, when Muraku holds him still with his chains.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green hair. And no one comments on this.
The Souen (Twin Swallow style) ryuu of swordsmen lead by Nikaido Misaku, the "Murderous Sword". They lose the second turn of the tournament, but still decides to hang around Unabara killing and maiming as much people as possible.
Misaku NikaidoAlso known as "Murderous Sword" and "Destroyer of Dojo", he's a weird swordsman who loves to kill people and face powerful warriors in combat. He once destroyed Shinnojo's old dojo, the Itten Ryu but he lose an eye to the young samurai.
- Ax-Crazy: Another fellow who's too much in killing and not too sane.
- Ambiguously Gay: Has earrings and polish nails and the kimono he wears is usually associated with women. According to the other wikia, he may as well be a Depraved Bisexual.
- Blood Knight: Murders whole dojos and leaves a young Shinnojo alive in hope that he'll come back to fight him when he'll get stronger.
- Cool Hat: Wears one that conceal his face during his first appearence.
- Dual Wielding: His style involves two swords, giving him a powerful defense.
- Boring but Practical: His style merely involves parrying with one sword and attacking with the other. He has other tricks up his sleeve though.
- Eye Scream: Shin cut out one of his eyes. He's killed when Shin stabs his other eye and then cuts open his skull with the Tanryu Hibaku attack.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: On his left eye, courtesy of Shin.
- Griefer: Even after being disqualified from the second match, he and his men are still hanging around, slashing people up For the Lulz and hindering the other warriors.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Spares a young Shinnojo and taunt him to become stronger, so that he'll get more fame from slaying him. However Shin becomes so powerful that he eliminate him in a few blows.
- The Worf Effect: Despite being so hyped and feared, he managed to inflict just one tiny slash on Shinnojo's arm.
Amane and UkyoMembers of the Souen Ryuu, easily killed by Shinnojo.
- Bullying a Dragon: Amane did this to Shinnojo and as a result, was killed before he could even understand his mistakes.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Amane is seen among the various warriors inside Unabara's castle before the beginning of the second round.
- Elite Mook: They're more powerful than ordinary warriors, but still too weak compared to serious fighters.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Ukyo, on a wall, and by his own blade no less.
- Noodle Incident: We didn't see how Ukyo is defeated, but we find him impaled to a cracked wall by his own blade, and upside down to boot.
- Off with His Head!: Amane, mid-sentence no less.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: So bad that even the author neglected to mention them in the extra dedicated to the defeated warriors and almost forgot their names.
- The Worf Effect: So bad that Ukyo is killed offscreen by Iori in a panel.
The Myoujin Ryuu (Enlightened Gods) is a martial arts school that specializes in Sojutsu. A style that has existed for over a hundred years and is known as one of the "Five Dragons of Unabara". The style passes down its techniques by continually handing down four unique Japanese spears to four wielders. These wielders are known as "The Four Divine Spears". While there are many 'disciples', only the four who wield one of these spears is considered a member of the Myoujin Ryuu. Fought against the Ogame Style in the Second Round.
Shingo MidouOne of the four divine spears. Wields the spear,Onidachi(Demon Splitter). He inherited the spear after his master was killed by Kurogane Jinsuke.
- Anime Hair: Back when he was an apprentice his hair was normal, but now his hairstyle is.. well, unique.
- Bigger Is Better: His Onidachi is around 3 meters long (about ten feet), and it's blade alone is 3 feet long.
- BFS: It's also pointed out that is very heavy, but does affect the morale of the enemy.
- Bad Ass: See also Determinator, plus the fact that he came close to kill Gama.
- Blade Run: Gama does this to his spear.
- Blood Upgrade: Becomes even stronger after being wound by Gama.
- Determinator: When he was training to be the successor of the Onidachi, he put all his time aside from eating and sleeping into training. To the point that he ended up doing fourty thousand strikes daily in order to train his style.
- Died Standing Up: Winning Gama's respect.
- Early-Bird Cameo: First seen in the crowd in Unabara castle when the Daimyo explains the rules for the second turn.
- Lightning Bruiser: His weapon weigths 48 pounds but he can be extremely quick and swift with it.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Averted, in order to master the Onidachi, he had to grow a lot muscles.
- Nice Guy: Outside of battle, and especially in comparison with Sasuke and Banri, Shingo's not a ba person. He even asks to Gama if he hates his father and why he's so eager to fight him.
- Red Baron: "Demon Splitter" Midou Shingo.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: All the techniques of his spear come from Buddhist terms and are named after the Vajura (the adamantine thunderbolt associated with indian deities). For example, the Rakan Jikazuki (Strike of the Invicible Ahrat) refers to the Ahrat, a wise men who reached Nirvana but didn't became a Buddha.
- Furthermore, as a recurring theme naming among the four Divine Spears, "Midou" can be translated as "Sacred Shrine".
Sasuke SakakibaraWields the spear Beninuki(Crimson Extractor). He became the successor after killing all of the other potential successors. Despite his cute looks, he's a mad killer.
- Alliterative Name
- Axe Crazy: He's so blood-thirsty and insane that he can't even be a proper Blood Knight.
- Calling Your Attacks: Chigarami (Blood Weave).
- Curb Stomp Cushion: Villainous version: he almost behead Zenmaru, but as the latter gets really serious, he start to lose pieces. Literally.
- Cute Bruiser: Looks the youngest of the foursome, but he's still deadly.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: And good riddance!
- Killer Rabbit: Oh, dear god...
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His spear is called "Crinsom Extractor", and is exactly what it does. Sasuke's nickname is "Heart Ripper".
- Nightmare Face: When he start fighting for real.
- Orgasmic Combat: Look at his face as he's about to fight Zenmaru.
- Red Baron: See Names to Run Away from Really Fast
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: "Sakakibara" means "Sakaki Field", with Sakaki being a sacred tree.
- Sinister Scythe/Hooks and Crooks: What makes his spear special, are the curved scythe-like prongs on the side of the blade. They also liken him to a Shinigami.
- Slasher Smile: Unsurprisingly, given his approach to battle, he's prone to creepy grins.
- The Stoic: Turns into a Not So Stoic when in battle, and even less stoic when Zenmaru actually wounds him.
- Throwing Your Spear Always Works: His trump card.
- Villainous Breakdown: He starts to lose it when Sadanaga starts to chop him off.
Ichiou JinnoThe oldest of the four divine spears. Wields the Ginkan (Silver Gate Bar). Is quickly defeated in two blows by Iori and later plays an unexpected role in Juho's defeat.
- Bullying a Dragon: He really shouldn't have challenged Iori.
- Butt Monkey: Of the Four Divine Spears, is probably the most pitiable one, as he survived against Jinsuke by sheer accident, trained twelve years in vain, was the only one who believed in the Four Spears (ok, maybe Shingo too) and then gets unceremoniously defeated by Iori.
- Combat Commentator: With Banri, during Shingo and Sasuke's battles.
- Cool Old Guy: He may be old, but can take care of himself.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Tries to spear Iori. Two megapunches later he's twitching on the ground with his jaw broken, almost all his teeth gone and with three shattered ribs.
- Informed Ability: His spear, unlike the others, have a simple, dagger-like blade on it. But we won't ever know what it does.
- Odd Name Out: His spears' name is probably the least threatening name ever for a weapon.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: "Jinnou" means "Divine Field".
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Yup, Iori hit him that hard.
- Sole Survivor: The only one of the four divine spears to live after fighting Kurogane Jinsuke. According to Banri, he slipped and lost consciousness before the battle started, that's why he was spared.
- The Worf Effect: Iori didn't even need his sword to beat him.
Banri OmiyaBanri Wields the spear Kuyou (Navagraha). Joins the Muhou School before fighting the Oogame school, Interested in obtaining the power of Kurogane Jinsuke
- Badass: Compared to the other Divine Spears, he's on a whole other level.
- Bishōnen: Though post timeskip Shin does make a slash across his face, giving him a rather deep scar.
- Calling Your Attacks: Jinshiki (Speed Style), Gousen and Nanausen (Five Bladed Fan and Seven Bladed Fan), Jasen and Soujasen (Snake Twist and Twin Snakes Twist) and, last but not least, Hassai Kaigan (Enlightnement of the Eight Stars).
- Child Prodigy: Became the successor of the Kuyou when he was seven. At the same age his father taught him how to use Hassai Kaigan, a technique so difficult that even he, the current wielder, never managed to pull off.
- Diagonal Cut: How he finally meet his end.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Jasen, Soujasen and Hassai Kaigan all revolves around using the spear's tube to spin the spear itself during a thrust, resulting in a drill-like, hard to predict strike. The last one is so fast and powerful that can apparently hit the target eight times simultaneously.
- Evil Counterpart: Fancies himself as the evil rival of Shinnojo.
- Face-Heel Turn: Betrays his own comrades and joins the Muhou Ryuu.
- Kick the Dog: He never considered the other three Spears as "comrades".
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Kills Naokatsu.
- Lightning Bruiser: Thanks to his spear's tube, he can quickly recover from any attack and can spam his stabbing attack at will.
- Super Speed: Hassai Kaigan can unleash eight thrusts in less than a second, bordering in this.
- Oh Crap!: He didn't expect Shin to sacrifice his own left shoulder to grab his spear and finish him off.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To both Naokatsu and Ichiou.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: "Omiya" means "Great Temple".
- Scars Are Forever: Gets a scar on his face during his second battle against Shinnojo.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: He quit the fight against the Ogame Ryuu and declare the defeat of the Myojin Ryuu. Partially subverted as he just change his alliegancy rather than leaving.
- The Worf Effect: Oddly enough, self inflicted: During his third "fated" confrontation with Shinnojo, he's almost istantly wounded because, as Shin pointed out, he let him see his spear technique too many times, allowing him to learn how to beat it.
- You Killed My Father: His father, the previous master of Kuyou, was killed by Kurogane Jinsuke. Subverted in that he doesn't seems to angry at the Muhou School.
One of the Five Dragons of Unabara, focused on kenjutsu. Most specifically, iaijutsu.
Gensai KizakiOne of the oldest and strongest swordsmen from Unabara, he's a vicious figther who can and will kill for no reason. Because of him, Unabara was known as the Lair of the Demons, and is an ally of the Ogame Ryuu. During the final attack on the citadel he fights against his former pupil Shimon but is killed.
- Bad Ass Grandpa: One of the oldest and strongest characters.
- Berserk Button: Tsuchiryuu pushed his when he wounded him in battle.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Nope, he doesn't remember what he did to Shimon, though he may was just trolling him.
- Cool Old Guy
- The Dreaded: Many in Unabara fear his name.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Back in the first chapter, in the flashback showing the daimyo announcing the Tournament, we have a shot of several warriors seen from behind. Gensai can be seen on the right.
- Enemy Mine: Helps the Ogame Ryuu against Jinsuke after the Time Skip.
- Eye Scream: Loses his left eye to Shimon's Nagisengestu attack.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Sometimes he's so quick that his movements are too fast to follow. He can even cut someone twice in a row with what seems to be one swift movement. Plus, the secret of his Quick Draw involves pulling the scabbard as he draw the sword.
- Killed Off for Real: Facing his strongest pupil with a foot injured and his eye damaged was too much even for him.
- Master Swordsman: One of the strongest around.
- Mr. Vice Guy: He raid the corpses of his victims looking for money and stating that dead people don't need money anyway. He also admits that he takes the women and money of all his defeated opponents.
- Red Baron: The Sword Fiend
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers one to Shimon, explaining him that even if he's more skilled than him at iaijutsu and in a better shape, Gensai is far more experienced than him when it comes to reflexes as he fought much more duels to death in the past.
- This Cannot Be!: His last words.
A recently formed Ryuu that is made of many different styles. Their objective is to make an army of powerful soldiers to create the strongest army of all times. The name means "Treasure of Void School".
Jinsuke KuroganeGama's father, he was the former leader of the Ogame Ryuu and infamously known as the "Killer of a Thousand Men". He left the dojo and is currently missing. However, rumors say that he'll partecipate to the Unabara Tournament. For the slaughter of most of the Ogame Ryu who opposed him, Gama and the other Ogame Ryuu warriors want him dead. His goal is to turn the Muhou Ryuu in an army of super powerful warriors belonging to the strongest martial schools and use it to conquer Kyushu and later Japan. However, near the end of the series is revealed that he's dying of a mysterious illness. As the Bakufu crushes his school, he eventually dies after defeating Iori and having a last talk with his son.
- Bad Ass: You don't get feared and respected in a region known for his powerful warriors without being one. Ultimately wins the title by defeating even Iori while he was dying of an incurable illness.
- Bad Boss: Try to desert? Good, you're in for being hit to death with your own weapon.
- Big Bad: Of the series.
- Blood Knight: Decides to wait a whole year before attacking the Ogame School
- Face-Heel Turn: Slaughtered the entire Ogame school that didn't follow him (save for Shin, Zenmaru, Gama, Iori, and Oizumi) after becoming the leader.
- Faux Affably Evil: He was even referred to as "Devil", and yet he's incredibly affable and polite.
- Lightning Bruiser: In battle he's shown to be nearly too fast to see. To cup it all, he can move at an incredible speed from any stance, making him unpredictable.
- Magnetic Villain: He has managed to attract a large number of incredibly loyal warriors to his side.
- The Man Behind the Man: Becomes one for Naoyoshi, and was the one behind the whole Unabara Tournament along with Yukio, Naoyoshi's mother.
- Master Swordsman: He can unleash up to six slashes in a row effortlessly. This when even Iori can do only three.
- Magical Eye: His secret is a mundane variation of this, known as the "Eyes of Divine Perception" (Tengaku no Me), incredibly keen eyes that allows him to notice even the slightest movement, allowing Jinsuke to anticipate any attack or evading any defense thanks to his fighting prowess.
- One-Man Army: Long ago he suddenly rampaged through Unabara and killed a thousand of warriors from various Ryuu and then he disappeared. Hence his nickname. Its worth noting that he accomplished such a feat over the course of three years.
- Shrouded in Myth: For the first part of the manga.
- Slasher Smile: In the first volume he's shown with a demonic grin on his face.
- Take Over the World: or rather Take Over Japan: his goal.
- Visionary Villain: His plans in the long run involve take over Japan and turn it into a nation of warriors and martial artists where Might Makes Right.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- You Don't Look Like You: The first time he appears in a flashback he's depicted with a demonic-looking man with pointy black hair and sharp visage traits. When he's shown in the Myojin Ryuu's flashback he's shown as a calmer, more handsome man with short wavy hair and a black cape.
- Your Days Are Numbered: In chapter 172 he's seen coughing blood and keeping it a secret from Nachi, and thinks about settling things as soon as possible. Confirmed by Ranmaru in chapter 186 that he's ill, and this eventually does him in.
Jinsuke's Personal Corps
Ranmaru ItouA swordmaster who's partecipating to the Tournament and desires to face Gama. He was been trained by Jinsuke Kurogane himself, and is revealed to be the leader of Jinsuke's body guards. After the Time Skip he's used as Naoyoshi bodyguards and is eventually defeated by Gama during the final assault on Unabara Castle, later succumbing to his wounds.
- Art Evolution: Looks quite different from his first appearence after the time skip.
- Badass: Was trained by Jinsuke himself, a privilege that only Iori Sengoku received in the past.
- Brutal Honesty: He's not shy about telling Zenmaru what are his odds against the Divine Spears.
- Counter Attack: According to Kashitarou, Ranmaru's an expert of the "Intersection Style" (Kosahou), which involves this. Coupled with his Eyes of Divine Sight, makes him nearly invincible. Curiously, the name of his style is actually associated with boxing.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivers a particularly crushing one to Gama, causing him to have a breakdown.
- Cryptic Conversation: Has one with Gama the first time they meet..
- Dark and Troubled Past: He was an orphan who was particulary gifted form martial arts thanks to his eyes, and yet was forced to live like a stray dog, killing people to survive and being called a monster for his abilities before Jinsuke adopted him.
- The Dragon: Likely to Jinsuke.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Apparently is a must when your name is Ranmaru.
- Evil Counterpart: To Gama. Is even revealed that he has the same Eyes as Jinsuke and Gama.
- Killed Off for Real: Injured by Gama's Kamui, he's spared by the youth but eventually dies from the wound.
- Master Swordsman: Specifically his fighting style is focused on counter attacks, he's also one of the two people (the other being Iori) who had the honor of being trained by Jinsuke himself.
- Magical Eye: He too happens to have the Eyes of Divine Sight. Unlike Gama, Jinsuke istantly recognized his skill and trained Ranmaru accordingly.
- Oh Crap!: Post Time Skip, when Gama snaps his sword in half.
- Pet the Dog: His friendship with Naoyoshi.
- The Stoic: Most of the time he tends to be emotionless.
- You Shall Not Pass: Heroically defends Naoyoshi against hordes of Bakufu soldiers when they try to kill him And ''noone'' does.
Shimon KudoA warrior who has been watching over Gama during the first half of the tournament. Turns out he's working for Ranmaru. During the Ogame Ryuu assault on Unabara's castle, is revealed that he used to be Gensai's pupil. In the finale he has survived the Shogunate invasion and now intends to carry on the techniques of the Kannari Ryuu and Jinsuke's will.
- Affably Evil: If he's evil, that's it.
- Calling Your Attacks: Nagisengetsu (Placid Crescent Moon) and Sagiuchi (Heron Strike).
- Enigmatic Minion: Kujou even admitted that noone, except for Jinsuke, knows about his past.
- Hero Killer: Ends up defeating and killing Gensai.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Seems to be one for Ranmaru during the first part. Turns out he was his superior.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Used to train under Gensai Kizaki, and has not lost his touch.
- Karma Houdini: Technically yes, if you consider him a villain.
- Let's Get Dangerous: In chapter 166 he finally decides to stop fooling around and goes after the Ogame School, claiming to have a personal score to settle. Oh, he also unties his hair.
- Nice Guy: Despite being a subordinate of Jinsuke he's quite a pleasant, talkative fellow, and goes along with most of his co-workers (except for Arimaru, who creeps him out).
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Thought he was Ranmaru's lapdog? He's actually his co-worker.
- Oh Crap!: Looks like he didn't expect Gensai's fierce attack. Though he managed to parry it in time.
- Pet the Dog: He gives Gensai a proper burial and even swear on his tomb that he'll carry on the Kannari School out of respect to his swordsmanship.
- Start of Darkness: He apparently turned "evil" after being forced to kill his best friend in a duel to see if he was ready to learn the secrets of the Kannari School.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Uses a Quick Draw to throw his katana at Gensai's face, blinding him for long enough to strike his face with his secret attack, Nagisengetsu (Placid Crescent Moon).
- Undying Loyalty: Confirmed by Ranmaru to have this for Jinsuke.
- Younger Than He Looks: He claims to be around the same age as Gama, but he looks older.
TsuchiryuuA masked member who gloats about his stealthiness and skill. According to Gensai he fights with a style native to China. In the finale, he and Jinku survived the final battle and are going to carry on Jinsuke's will after burying him in a secret location.
- Anime Hair: Hair tied in a multi-pronged tail on the back of his head.
- Badass: Blocks Kamedenbo's attack and is able to wound Gensai Kizaki in a straight fight.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: Does this to Kamedenbo of all people!
- Combat Pragmatist: Even more so than other characters. For example he takes fully advantage of his opponent's dead angle to strike him.
- Dual Wielding: One weapon per hand.
- Exotic Weapon Supremacy: His weapon is a Chinese Deer's Horn dagger. He also carries a Dao instead of a Wakizashi.
- Faux Affably Evil: When it comes to serious business he's mean.
- Karma Houdini: He's one of the most villainous members of the school, massacres Arata's disciples and eventually gets away scot free.
- Mask Power: The lower side of his face is covered, and he also has a grinning mask which is soon discarded.
- Ninja: His overall appearence, he has also performed stealthy actions.
- Only One Name: A trait shared by other onmitsu characters like Jinku and Tsukikage.
- Undying Loyalty: His boss is dying, most of the elites are gone and the enemy has an army of 1000 and more soldiers? Not a problem, he still kills Tsukikage for his boss.
Kiyomori YamanoueFormer member of the Genkon Ryuu (Stringed Soul School), he's a deadly martial artist known as the "Lord of the Doom Fist", capable of incapacitating people with precise strikes. After defeating Zenmaru, he's killed by Kashitarou who use his own technique against him.
- Affably Evil: Sadistic bastard or not, the guy's surely friendly.
- And Show It to You: His strongest attack Senga Jinkei result in this.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: In spades. The quirk thing is, that he somehow manages to be this and Affably Evil at the same time!
- Badass: The guy can skewer people like olives with his bare hands!
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Another one, like the previously mentioned Kyosen School.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: Does this to the Sadanaga Kutaragi.
- Brutal Honesty: The second thing we see him doing is telling a group of soldiers that they shouldn't take on the Ogame Ryuu because they're too weak. In his own words: "What's the matter if I tell some weaklings that they're weak?" The soldiers dont' take it lightly.
- Calling Your Attacks: Tenmyaku Kisatsu (Heavenly Pulse Killer) and Senga Jinkei (Piercing Fang of Divine Power).
- Charles Atlas Superpower: The above mentioned Senga Jinkei? Is achieved by focusing all the strength in the fingers pointed as a spear and capable of piercing a human torso (ribs and all) all the way through. Even if it doesn't strike the chest it can still tear flesh away from the body.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Inflicts one on Zenmaru.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Kashitarou even calls him "bishonen" in a mocking way.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy: He does this. Usually, right ''after'' landing the blow on said enemies, when they cannot do anything to counter.
- Graceful Loser: "Kashitarou-san... you really are a genius.."
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Kashitarou use the same nerve-striking hits as him to stab his nerves and defeat him.
- Lecherous Licking: Licks his lips when he's deciding which Ogame School member he'll kill first. On the other hand, he was having a snack...
- The Paralyzer: Induce paralysis with carefully placed hits. He calls the technique "Tenmyakusastu" (Heavenly Nerve Killer).
- Red Baron: Lord of the Doom Fist (Kyoken Ou in the original).
- The Scrappy: In-Universe, people tend to find him really annoying. Too bad that he can kill them in a jiff should they annoy him. Lamphaded by Shimon, who admits that Kiyomori "has quite a talent for getting hated by others".
- What the Fu Are You Doing?: Subverted, he actually plays clumsy to catch his opponets offguard.
Muraku Matsumoto, see Kasanemanji Ryuu
Banri Omiya, see Myoujin Ryuu
Shungaku ToujouThe oldest and most powerful of the bodyguards, he's Baian Maki's master.
- Affably Evil: If it weren't for his orders or loyalty to Jinsuke' he'd be a great drinking buddy.
- The Alcoholic: Carries around a huge gourd of saké.
- Badass: Even Jinsuke respects him. That's saying something.
- Badass Boast: Claims that a fully mastered naginata is the best weapon ever, not including the firearms.
- Blade on a Stick: His weapon of choice is a large bisento, similar to the one wielded by Baian, but with a different blade.
- Bolivian Army Ending: The last time we see him, he's facing the hordes of the Bakufu soldiers, cutting them down as if there's no tomorrow. He's not seen in the finale, but someone saved Arata, who was near him, implying that he escaped to safety.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: A bit quirky, like his disciple Baian, and spends a good portion of his reunion with Jinsuke drinking and ignoring everyone. However, he's also Jinsuke's most trusted and possibly strongest warrior, so his boss tolerate his quirks.
- Cool Old Guy: One of the many.
- The Dragon: One of Jinsuke's most trusted men, if not his actual right-hand man.
- Enemy Mine: Pulls a You Shall Not Pass against Tsukikage's goons and tells Gama to go forth and save Naoyoshi.
- Enigmatic Minion: After attacking Gama, he tries to dissuade him by pointing out that even if Gama kills him, he'll still have to fight thousands of soldiers and warriors to get to Naoyoshi. When Gama answers that he will still go on even alone, Toujou sneers and offer a "good advice" to the young warrior.
- Oh Crap!: Gama brings down his large bisento and almost behead him by sliding the sword along the naginata's pole.
- Perma Stubble: Has traces of beard.
- Undying Loyalty: As a warrior, he has this for Jinsuke.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: A non-videoludic example: He's likely Jinsuke's strongest warrior, and he's the second opponent faced by Gama just as he enters the inner citadel.
Shinsuke TsurumaruA fair-headed swordsman. Mastered the Kamigaki Ryu ("Divine Wall" style). Wields a special sword made up with two different blades united on one handle. Killed by Iori after a long duel.
- Badass: Iori gave him a 70 upon killing him.
- BFS: Once the sword is complete.
- I Call It "Vera": His sword, Souenmaru (Twin Flame Circle).
- Lightning Bruiser: He can channel several attacks in a single, fluid movement.
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: Hates Kiyomori's antics and is extremely serious and dedicated to the cause.
- Oddly Shaped Sword: An hollow broadsword formed by two katana blades on a single hilt.
- Oh Crap!/Didn't See That Coming: He couldn't predict Iori's decision to stab his own leg to block his sword.
- The Stoic: It takes a lot to get a reaction from him.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Out of all the bodyguards so far is probably the one who gets the less characterization, and whose sole purpose is to provide a serious challenge to Iori.
JinkuuA masked, ninja-like warrior who seems to be close to Tsuchiryuu. Not much is known about him. In the finale he and Tsuchiryuu are going to carry on Jinsuke's will.
- Bad Ass: He wiped out a roomful of guards by himself before getting at Tsukikage (though it's offpanel).
- Bishōnen: Under his mask.
- Blade on a Stick/Simple Staff: A long package is seen near him in one scene, implied to be his weapon. Whatever it is, it's taller than him.
- Mask Power: Unlike Tsuchiryu, he wears a full mask with a vaguely avian look.
- Ninja: Seems to share this role and theme with Tsuchiryu.
- Only One Name: Again, like Tsuchiryuu.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Most scanlations gave his name as "Shinkuu" for a while.
- Those Two Bad Guys: He and Tsuchiryuu.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Though he didn't die, he appeared only three times, talked once and we didn't even learnt his fighting style. As the manga ends, we still haven't known a thing about this guy.
ArimaruA giant brute of a creature with dark skin and abnormally large muscles. Apparently a female, she fights in a special arena with sandy ground and wields a colossal shield in conjunction with a pata (Indian sword-gauntlet). She's killed by Zenmaru.
- Ambiguous Gender: Shimon Kudo is uncertain about his/her sex, both Ranmaru and the Ogame Ryu Team treat her as a female and Jinsuke refers to him as a male. The manga's wikia opted for female.
- Word of God stated that he originally tought of Arimaru as male, but his editor kept referring to him as a woman, so Naosuke decided to make Arimaru a woman, without changing her appearence one bit.
- Ambiguously Human: Looks more like some sort of giant, skinned ogre, but Word of God assured that she's a human.
- Animal Motifs: The Ant: powerful and ugly, can move underground and deliver nasty "bites" with her spikes.
- Badass Boast/You Fight Like a Cow: After knocking back Zenmaru's first attack effortlessly.Arimaru:" What was that? I thought I bumped into a mosquito..."
- Berserk Button: Drops the affable persona and becomes furious when Shin wounds her arm, to the point that
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Her pata sword.
- The Brute: A rare depiction of a Brute using traps and well-planned strategies to take on his opponents.
- Depraved Bisexual: Implied by subtext, there are several badly bruised corpses in her lair belonging to both young boys and women, one of them seemingly naked.
- Diagonal Cut: Zenmaru's Shuengetsu slice her open from hip to shoulder.
- Fed to the Beast: Implied that Jinsuke occasionaly sends her "company" (a.k.a. youth of both sexes), who're found dead. What she does to them, though, is left to the reader's immagination.
- Genius Bruiser: She waits for her victims under a sand-filled arena and stab them as they move on it.
- The Grotesque: Her looks are far from mere ugly...
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Her shield is more like a mobile iron wall with a slit for her sword.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Probably the oddest and uglier character drawn so far by Nakamaru.
- Shield Bash: And is difficult to dodge because of the sandy terrain and the size of the shield itself.
- Spikes of Villainy: Use drillesque spikes to stab her opponents' feet.
- This Cannot Be!: Reacts with total disbelief after getting wounded to death by Zenmaru.
Kai IchinoseZenmaru's brother, he too wields a Sadanaga blades. Ranmaru knows him, implying that he's a member of the group. Revealed to be the one of Jinsuke's Advisors.
- Aloof Big Brother: Though he does behave in an Affably Evil manner with his little brother.
- Always Someone Better: According to Ranmaru, Kai could have completely dodged Sasuke's last attack (his spear tossed at close range), while Zenmaru, could only partly dodge it thanks to Kagenui.
- Badass: One of the strongest advisors, it's implied that he could have killed Mario in a fair fight.
- BFS: He too has a Sadanaga, but unlike Zenmaru's Kutaragi, this one isn't named.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivered to his brother Zenmaru during the Unabara Tournament. Also doubles as Single-Stroke Battle.
- Evil Counterpart: To Zenmaru.
- Evil Red Head: Seems to be a trait of the Ichinose clan.
- Eyes Always Shut: Making him similar to Gin Ichimaru.
- Heroic Sacrifice/Taking the Bullet: Jumps between Mario and Zenmaru when the former tries to slash at him, saving his little brother's life at the cost of his own. He survives long enough to see his brother's victory and compliment him for the last time.
- Lightning Bruiser: Can move extremely fast when required. Can even use the Shidensen with the Sadanaga Sword.
- Jerkass: His behaviour towards Zenmaru. Eventually revealed to be a Jerk with a Heart of Gold and even accepting Zenmaru as superior to him.
- Noble Demon: He lied only once to Zenmaru (when he told him to forget the Ogame School and get back to the Ichinose as he's a failure) and is determinated to defeat Kujou for Jinsuke's sake.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Another trait shared with Zenmaru, which may or not be an actual trait of the Ichinose clan.
- Smug Snake: Very devious and smug with both allies and enemies alike. Eventually subverted as he's loyal to Jinsuke and a genuinely nice person.
- So Proud of You: His last words to Zenmaru.
Mario KujouFormer Ogame Ryuu member. Apparently was close to Shinnojo. Actually a mole for the Bakufu, and an ambitious prick who only cares about his own career thanks to swordmastery.
- Badass: He's the leader of the Advisors, and the only one other than Jinsuke and Iori who was capable of mastering all the elemental forms of the Ogame School. Can crack the huge Sadanaga blade combining the Fire style with the Lightning style.
- Break the Haughty: Zenmaru inflict this on him before finishing him off.
- The Combat Pragmatist: What? The guy you're fighting with is actually getting close to lop your head off? Well, there's nothing wrong in summoning a couple of guards to pull a sneak attack on him, right?
- Also, throwing your broken but still sharp sword stump at your opponet's helpless brother so that he'll be wide open for your next attack.
- Eye Scream: Zenmaru snaps his sword and gouge his left eye out in one blow.
- Face-Heel Turn: He's actually a spy for the Bakufu, and unlike many warriors seen so far he has no honor.
- Killed Off for Real: Bisected by Zenmaru, he died wondering how could he fall in a place like that.
- Nightmare Face: When pulling his sneak attack on Kai, his eye is wide open and his mouth is gaping with the eeriely sharp teeth in sight.
- Odd Name Out: Mario is a very odd name for a Japanese, and it sounds more like Italian.
- The Rival: To Shin. He considered him better than Iori or Tessai.
- Skunk Stripe: His hair is black with a single stripe of white in it.
- Smug Snake: He's revealed to be a vile scumbag with earthly ambitions who just want to reach fame and glory using his sword skills.
- The Stoic: Has yet to show emotions.
- Not So Stoic: Becomes upset with Kai comes close to defeat him, and completely loses his temper when Zenmaru, of all people, manages to finally overcome his insicurities and injures him.
- Villainous Breakdown: Has quickly revealed his true colors as a Sore Loser jerk and has totally lost his composure.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Shinnojo. Also tries to give one to the Ichinose Brothers, but backfires.
Riko MurasameFormer Ogame Ryuu member, unbreachable defense is his strong suit. Used to consider the Ogame Ryuu as his family. In the finale, he's mentioned to have survived and now is walking the earth.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Claims that his defense can't be broken by the techniques of the Ogame School.
- Bolivian Army Ending: Last seen fighting back the bakufu soldiers. He survives though.
- Distressed Dude: After his defection he was captured and imprisoned by the Muhou School, only to be rescued by Manjiro and Iori.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Mostly due to his "Cleopatra" bobcut hairstyle, resembling the one of a typical Japanese doll.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He's the less evil of the Advisors, and was absolutely against the entrance of Muraku Matsumoto in their ranks.
- Face-Heel Turn: Was one of the members who sided with Jinsuke.
- Heel-Face Turn: Quit the whole thing after getting bested by Gama.
- Nice Guy: Flashback shows him like a cheery, outgoing man and a sort of big brother for the younger members of the Ogame School.
- Serrated Katana of Absolute Defense: His katana Genbou (Offered String) has a serrated edge, made for blocking swords and break them.
- The Rival: Back ago he was one to Iori.
- Stone Wall: Gloats about his Absolute Defense style (Kagi no Torou, literally Hooked Lantern). He seems to prefer the Douko no Kata style, which revolves about defensive attacks.
- I Let You Win: Let Gama go when the latter beats his Absolute Defense technique.
- You Shall Not Pass: Pulls this on the Ogame School while protecting the East Gate. Later he keeps the intruders at bay while Iori settles his score with Jinsuke.
Nachi, see Others
Ango KuryuuFormer member of the Gaun Ryuu (Fanged Cloud Style). He's quite cocky and self-confident. Fights with a gigantic Nagamaki. According to Riko, Ango is actually the strongest advisor in terms of battle technique.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Again, very overconfident in his skills.
- Badass: He's the strongest of the advisors, second to Mario.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has noticeably large eyebrows.
- Blade on a Stick: Fights with a Nagamaki, a polearm with a very long blade.
- BFS: The thing is gigantic, even for the polearm standard.
- Named Weapons/I Call It "Vera": "Tatsu-giri", a.k.a. Dragon Paulownia. Much later he turns up with another, nearly identical yet heavier nagamaki called "Choushimaru" (lit. Eldest Child).
- Bigger Is Better: Choushimaru's blade is shorter, compared to Tatsu-giri, but is much thicker than a sword blade.
- Calling Your Attacks: "Houkaizan", a powerful vertical slash.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Claims that Choushimaru's so heavy that it would break the floor if dropped and yet he can wield it without breaking a sweat. He's also the physically strongest Advisor.
- Humiliation Conga: Iori best his technique, break his weapon, block his last assault and then calls him a loser and punches him to unconsciousness rather than killing him.
- Knight of Cerebus: Played this role to Zenmaru and Shinnojo on their way to Unabara.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: During the Ayanaka Forest arc, despite bringing along several disciples he fights Iori and Shin alone, leaving his subordinates to keep an eye on the situation and Gensai.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's extremely fast, even when wielding the Choshimaru, a weapon so heavy that it can break the floor if dropped.
- The Rival: Tries to be one for Iori Sengoku, though the feeling isn't mutual.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Iori snaps Choushimaru's blade and doesn't even finish him off.
- The Worf Effect: His battle with Iori lasted two chapters and he got his blade cut in half by Iori's swords before he could do anything else.
- Worthy Opponent: For he, Iori is one. However, this feeling is one-sided. Iori gives him a 75.
Riichiro HanamuraFormer member of the Soujin Ryuu (Religious Army School). One of the most active members of the advisors. Is backstabbed by his own follower Toudou Koma.
- Affably Evil: Evil? Unethical? Sure, but he's also polite and nice compared to his colleagues. He actually propers welcome Iori when he storms the castle.
- Berserk Button: His is pushed after being wounded and nearly killed by Shin.
- Blade on a Stick: His former weapon was a cross spear.
- An Axe to Grind: His new weapon is the Pole Arm, a western halbeard also referred to as axe spear. And unlike its typical depiction as a mook weapon, it's treated as a fearsome and versatile weapon.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Due to his youth, he's still very feminine and doll-like.
- Gratuitous English: His weapons is written with the kanji for "Axe Spear" but the spelt name is "Pole Arm". His secret weapon's name is "Halbert".
- In the Back: Backstabbed, likely by Tsukikage or Toudou.
- Lightning Bruiser: Yes, halbeards aren't typically associated with speed, but he's really fast.
- Mad Scientist: He's the one behind the Juugan project.
- Wolfpack Boss: Unlike Kuryuu, he takes full advantage of the presence of his subordinates and fights in tandem with them against Shin and Iori.
TsukikageMember of the Advisors, not much is knowns about him. He's actually working for the Bakufu and helps the Ogame Ryuu, but eventually decides to take them on as well in order to eliminate all the threats to the Bakufu. As he gloats about victory, he's eliminated by Shinkuu and Tsuchiryuu.
- Ambition Is Evil: He hopes to become a Daimyo for his efforts.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: He has no qualms about stabbing the Ogame Ryu in the back once is clear that they don't need them anymore.
- Dragon-in-Chief: As loyal servant of the Bakufu forces, along with Mario. May also count as a third party Big Bad Wannabe opposing both the heroic Ogame School and the villainous Muhou School.
- Facial Markings
- The Hyena: He laughs a lot. And when he's not laughing, he's at least grinning.
- In the Back: He's shanked in the back by Tsuchiryuu, and then beheaded by Shinkuu.
- Informed Ability: We never see him fighting, nor we get to see his weapons.
- Manipulative Bastard: Hinted on having played a role in Hanamura's murder and Todo's rampage, now he's taking advantage of both the Muhou Ryuu and the Ogame Ryu in order to wipe out the Demon's Lair of Unabara.
- Monster Clown: Gives this vibe, and even a badass like Iori admit that he's really creepy.
- The Mole: Actually an agent from the Bakufu (the shogun's government). In chapter 172 his cover is blown by Nachi.
- Nightmare Face: His face becomes creepy as he indulges in some Evil Gloating.
- Troll: Shown to be devious, sarcastic and teasing with both his colleagues (Specifically Ranmaru) and others.
- What an Idiot: In-Universe, this is what Shinkuu and Tsuchiryuu ultimately thinks of him, as he stayed the whole time inside the castle even with two skilled ninjas like them still around. To be fair, they're not too wrong of that.
Nishio MotojiThird Corps' Commander and leader of the anti-Ogame Ryuu raid. Fights with two swords, one of which is a sword-breaker.
- Badass: Defeats Rintarou. That's quite something.
- Cool Sword: One looks like a Jitte, the other looks more like a Chinese sword.
- Dual Wielding: His Style.
- Nice Hat: Whatever's wearing on his head.
- Too Dumb to Live: Thought he could kill Kamedenbo.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Not much of him is known.
Hajime KuroLeader of the Fourth Corps, he's one of Riichiro's pupils along with Koma. Fights with a halbeard.
- Anime Hair: Resembles an onion.
- Annoying Arrows: Averted, an arrow in the shoulder blade took him out of the fight.
- Blade on a Stick: A Polearm.
- Perpetual Smiler: Except for a Oh Crap! moment after seeing Arata's Haou Arrow cutting a man's arm off.
- Sole Survivor: The only former Soujin ryu member along with Koma who survived the battle.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After the retreat he hasn't reappeared yet.
Soun NasuLeader of the Eighth Corps. He's a very large, bulking man carrying two swords with him. Seems to be a sort of paternal figure for Gakushin Miina. Is killed by Iori.
- The Brute: With hints of Genius Bruiser.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Is first seen as the executioner of the daimyo's sons.
- Oh Crap!: After witnessing Iori's extremely fast reaction to his attack.
- The Stoic: He rarely seems to lose his cool blood.
Koma ToudouNinth Corps Commander, is a former member of the Soujin Ryu school of Sojutsu. Now he fights with an halbeard. Murders his own commander Riichiro and tries to kill Jinsuke, but fails.
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses his arm to Jinsuke while trying to finish him off with Nobori Hiryuu.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Subverted, he's actually even more powerful than Riichiro, to the point that he was offered the seat of Special Corps (a role even higher that Riichiro's own) but refused.
- Badass: Has the balls of fighting Jinsuke himself!
- Berserk Button: He never forgave Jinsuke for declaring that his former master was useless.
- Blade on a Stick: Use a western-type halbeard. His former weapon was a cross-spear.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Betrays the Muhou Ryuu in order to avenge his former master.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: His secret technique "Nobori Hiryuu" (Rising Wyvern) can be summarized as an heavenward slash that can slice a man in half vertically.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To Jinsuke of all people. Too bad he got sliced.
Kiichi HasukawaFifth Corps Commander, a former member of the Gaun Ryu. Killed by Gensai Kizaki.
- Blade on a Stick: A Nagamaki
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Is covered in scars.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Thinks he can overlook Gensai. Ends up in Too Dumb to Live as well.
- The Worf Effect: Swiftly lose to Gensai.
Suzunosuke MamiyaLeader of the Eleventh Corps, fights with a rapier.
- Beauty Mark: Has one under his eye.
- Bishōnen: Age unknown, but still beautiful.
- Crazy-Prepared: He carries a rapier with him, and has two more just in case.
- Royal Rapier: His sword, which he can twist and move at high speed so that his blows can't be predicted.
- Smug Snake: His attitude in battle.
- The Worf Effect: Inflict this on Kawasaki. Is soon on the receiving end thanks to a newly trained Gama.
Shiden KuraTwelveth Corps' commander, wields two swords. One-shotted by Iori.
- Dual Wielding: A normal katana and what seems to be a shinobigatana on his back.
- Facial Markings: To make him more interesting, according to the author.
- Killed Mid-Sentence
- The Worf Effect and We Hardly Knew Ye: Killed by Iori a few panels before his introduction.
RinkeiFourteenth Corps commander, is an odd-looking man sporting a serpentine tongue, many piercings and an odd hairstyle. Quickly killed by Iori.
- Dual Wielding: Maybe mixed with Hook Hand as his hands aren't visible.
- Eyepatch of Power: An eyepatch with an eye painted on it.
- The Worf Effect and We Hardly Knew Ye: Killed by Iori a few panels before his introduction.
Choei MaezonoSixteenth corps' commander and likely Rinkei's brother. Quickly killed by Iori.
- Badass Beard: His only noticeable trait.
- The Worf Effect and We Hardly Knew Ye: Killed by Iori a few panels before his introduction.
- You Shall Not Pass: If only he hadn't tried it on Iori.
Gakushin MiinaYoung leader of the 18th Corps (after the defeat of the Maruyama Brothers), wields a nagamaki-like weapon. Killed by Gensai during the assault on the front gate.
- BFS: His weapon. Overall resembles a large, two-edged straight sword with a long handle and no guard, but it doesn't resemble any known weapon.
- Character Development: In his pre-timeskip appearence he's impatient and hot blooded. After the timeskip and the death of his father figure Nasu he seems to have grown calmer and serious.
- Child Prodigy: Sixteen years old and yet is a Division Commander.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Unceremoniously killed by Gensai before he could do anything interesting.
- Killer Rabbit: He may look harmless, but is one of the commanders after all.
- What Could Have Been: Originally, Naosuke had great ideas for Niina, wanting to make him the First Corps Commander and even Gama's Evil Counterpart, but eventually he decided to took another path.
The Maruyama Brothers (Ichida, Terujiro and Kozo)Leaders of the 18th Corps, they're three identical siblings wielding the three Murder Swords: Kurotsuji (Black Crossing), Ginguruwa (Silver Enclosure) and Aogasumi (Blue Mist).
- Cool Sword: Three at the price of one.
- Dual Wielding: Aogasumi, a pair of very light sabers.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: They inflict an atrocious end to all their opponents by chopping them to pieces. Ironically, they get a taste of their own medicine by Shin, especially Ichida who gets disarmed, blinded and cut down in less than 5 seconds.
- Oddly Shaped Sword: Ginguruwa, who has a short, kinfesque blade with another, longer and semicircular blade coming out of the main blade's back, overall resembling a deformed letter "G".
- Serrated Blade of Pain: Kurotsuji. Seems to be designed fot inflicting as much damage as possible.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: The only way to tell them apart are the swords.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Textbook example.
- Wolfpack Boss: Even if they're three brothers, they're counted as one captain.
- The Worf Effect: Effortlessly murdered by Shinnojo offscreen.
Manjiro UchikawaLeader of the 21st Corps, he's a pupil of Riko. After Riko's "defeat", he's ordered to side with the Ogame Ryu and help them in battle. He's mentioned to have survived the final battle.
- Anime Hair: Even Zenmaru commented on that.
- Guest Star Party Member: For the Ogame Force during the assault on Unabara Castle.
- Heel-Face Turn: Under the orders of his master.
- Informed Ability: We don't see him fighting often actually, and his exploits are mostly mentioned.
- Facial Markings
- Serrated Blade of Pain: He's seen carrying around Genbou, to show to the Ogame Ryu that he could be trusted.
Jin AzumaCommander of the 24th Corps, is a scarred swordsman who respect his followers. Is killed by Kiyomori just to show off his "Doom Fist".
- A Father to His Men: Dares to attack a member of Jinsuke's bodyguards knowing very well that the punishment for such a deed is death. And he did so because said member was bullying his squad.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Kiyomori robs him of the use of his four limbs and then rips his heart out of his chest.
- Oh Crap!: Starting when Kiyomori "remove" his arm.
- Sacrificial Lion: He appears just to show off what Kiyomori can do.
Ryuuho KibeFormer heir of the Kibe Ryu and leader of the 47th Corps, nicknamed the Silver Ogre. Is a ruthless warrior who fights with the help of the deadly Jugan battle drug.
- Bishōnen: Was pretty enough even in the past.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: After taking two pills. They get back to normal after taking the injection, thought they do bleed.
- Calling Your Attacks: Gousenga (Solid Fang Vortex), his strongest attack.
- Carry a Big Stick: His "sword" Kokusouso (Black Clawed Comb) is actually a ludicrously large spiked club, weapon which is traditionally associated with ogres. It's about 8 feet long and weights nearly 90 pounds.
- Deadly Upgrade: The last Jugan injection will maximize his strength and enhance to the top his technique and speed, but after a few minutes of intense fighting he's as good as dead.
- Dissonant Serenity: After taking the injection, he seems creepely calm and even rejoiced, even if his eyes are bleeding profusely.
- Dynamic Entry: There's no better way to make an entrance than jumping mace-first on the battlefield from above, crushing your remaining mook to a pulp.
- Evil Albino: Drug-induced, it seems.
- Fingore: Gama slices the fingers on his right hand.
- High-Pressure Blood: When the drug effects end, he spills some from the face.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: Slightly justified: he holds the club's handle with one hand and use the other one to hold still the club's other end. However he does use one arm to strike. When he really gets serious, he can swing the whole beast with one hand and still be deadly.
- Red Baron: The Silver Ogre.
- Third Eye: Likely painted.
- Took a Level in Badass: In his flashback, he was shown to be an ordinary, average warrior without outstanding skills. Now he's one of the strongest and most feared warriors of the Muhou School.
- Super Strength: The most blatant example in the series. Including mention to his strength being otherwordly. And according to Word of God, he's the physically strongest character in the manga (though many others are superior to him in techniques and strategy.)
- Villainous Breakdown: When the drug's effect ends, he'r reduced to a patetic, angry wreck shouting at Yashichi and asking for more Jugan.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The last time we saw him, Yashichi was carrying him away, and apparently Kibe was still alive.
Juho ManiwaLeader of the Second Raid Division of the Muhou Ryuu. Appears right after the defeat of the Myojin Ryuu to reveal his plans to the Ogame Ryuu. Namely, trying to hire Gama, Zenmaru and Shinnojo and bringing Naoyoshi to Jinsuke. Is killed by Shinnojo after being distracted by Ichiou.
- Anime Hair: Hair can't grow like that!
- Anticlimax: He does perform well, but he's killed by Shinnojo when he's distracted by a rambling Ichiou wanting his Ginkan back. Even Iori calls Shin out on that.
- Bad Ass: Given his position, he has to be one...
- Beard of Evil: Has a goattee and is evil.
- Blade on a Stick: Temporarly borrow's Ichiou's Ginkan.
- Crippling Overspecialization: According to his men, his only notable skill is Bojutsu.
- Expy: Probably a coincidence, but he looks a lot like Asuma Sarutobi.
- Simple Staff: Despite using the Ginkan, his true fighting style is Bojustu.
- Megaton Punch: Gaigou Resshin (Great Earthquake's Thundering Cover) focuses the strength of the whole body in one blow.
- Too Dumb to Live: Even the author wonders why he walked into an hostile area without bringing his Weapon of Choice with him...
Ippi ShibanoCommander of the Fifth Guard division, is the best archer of the Muhou Ryuu and fight with a giant bow and poisoned arrows. Is also implied to be a necrophile. Is punctured to agony with his own arrows for trying to escape after failing to kill Iori.
- Archer Archetype: Unlike the traditional archer type he's more sadistic and wicked, not to mention: cowardly.
- B F Bow: His bow is very large compared to him.
- Cold Sniper: Rather than taking on his enemies, he'll rather snipe them from a safe position with poisoned arrows.
- Evil Counterpart: Though the two never meet, you can see him as one to Arata Nakaizumi.
- I Love the Dead: Claims to want Iori's corpse to have some fun with it. Shinjiro, disgusted, calls him on that.
- Oh Crap!: Yes, Iori just blocked your arrow without effort.
- Poisoned Weapons: His arrows are treated with a poison, which causes a rather painful, disgusting death.
- You Have Failed Me: After trying to escape, he gets impaled with his own poisoned arrow all over his body, turning him in an agonizing, pathetic waste.
Kenzo SarumataCommander of the 27th Commando Division.
- Dirty Coward: After witnessing Zenmaru's power, he tries to run away.
- Off with His Head!: Decapitated by Shinnojo.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: In one chapter he's introduced and killed.
Tagosaku YamashitaA feminine-looking guy who fights with a Bo staff and member of Maniwa's division.
- All There in the Manual: Some extra pages in the manga explain his background as a son of a farmer who was eventually adopted by a Bojutsu master. His birth surname was "Yamada".
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Due to his face and hair he looks quite feminine.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: How he's killed
- Simple Staff: Fights with a bo.
- Sissy Villain
- The Worf Effect: Killed by Iori in one blow.
ShinjiroMember of Maniwa's Division, is a fair-headed guy who fight with reinforced Nunchakus.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Though he's turned by a cocky fighter to a wimpy coward after seeing Iori's real abilities.
- Calling Your Attacks: Saishigeki (Fiery Blow).
- The Combat Pragmatist: Wears a chainmail, and isn't above using chains to restrain his enemy.
- Dirty Coward: Doesn't even try to face Iori during his assault on the Muhou Ryuu's castle.
- Fighting with Chucks: Word of God stated that he wanted to give him nunchaks to make him "unique".
- Oh Crap!: Whan about to be hit by Iori's sword. Later when he realized that binding Iori wasn't a good idea after all...
- Slasher Smile: Sports one during most of his first appearence.
- You Have Failed Me: Get's clubbed to the point of being unrecognizable for his cowardice. Word of God hints that he actually may have survived.
ChujiMember of Maniwa's Division, is a dangerous warrior who use studded gauntlets and chains to fight.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Unlike Shinjiro, he doesn't lose his arrogance even after facing Iori once.
- Bad Ass: On their first match, Iori gave him a Seven out of Ten.
- Chain Pain: Uses chains to bind Iori. Not that it worked out, mind you...
- Epic Flail: His last weapon is a spiked ball on a chain connected to a ring on his finger.
- Genre Savvy: Decides that taking on Iori would be a bad idea, so he resorts to tricks. He also pretends to be weak on purpose so that enemies will underestimate him.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Killed by Iori's Kosen.
- Oh Crap!: After realizing that his chains weren't enough to hold Iori.
- Power Fist: Knuckledusters are his weapon, but he's also skilled with chains.
The 47th CorpsA special corps of the Muhou Ryu whose soldiers are powered up by the deadly Jugan Drug, which makes them awfully strong but careless and immune to pain.
- BFS: Seems to be their weapon of choice. Justified in that they only focus on raw power, not technique.
- Drop the Hammer: One of the lesser members is seen holding an european warhammer.
- Drugs Are Bad: They'll make you obscenely powerful but clumsy and they'll also burn your brain to a crisp.
- Elite Mooks: They're much more powerful than the ordinary goons.
- Exotic Weapon Supremacy: A bald member using a chakram. Another one fights with a spear with a zig-zagged blade.
- Major Injury Underreaction: One of the members "shatters" his hand and wrist by punching a stone cliff. He looks barely annoyed.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: The above mentioned cliff-puncher was horrorifically skinny, and yet he also broke a good deal of rock.
- Taking You with Me: The first two guys who try to kill Zenmaru via explosive flasks.
- Sinister Scimitar: One of them has a curved sword with a large tip, leading to heaviers hits.
- Weapons Kitchen Sink: The members don't seem to have strict rules regarding weapons of choice.
YashichiKibe's right hand man.
- Ambiguously Brown: Which is pretty odd, since flashback showed him with fair skin and black hair.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: After mingling with the Jugan.
- The Dragon: He's Ryuuho's right arm and best friend.
- Heel-Face Turn: After Ryuuho's death he decides to quit and reveals some details about the Muhou Ryu to Gama and Kashitarou.
- Only Sane Man: The only member of the 47th who doesn't use the Jugan.
- The Unfought: He decides to not fight Gama.
Sekiryu and SeirinMembers of an unknown division, they assault Gama in a inn inside the inner city. They both wield iron whips, but are easily defeated.
- Anime Hair: Both.
- Dissonant Serenity: They're here to murder you. This doesn't stop them from happily grinning the whole time. However, as soon as they realize that Gama may be a little far out of their league...
- Dual Boss: Their fighting style and attacks seems to imply that they always fight as a couple. Deconstructed by Gama, who manages to dodge their attack and points out that attacking in couple leave them both open, allowing him to kill them both simultaneously.
- Dual Wielding: They both dual wield whips. Iron whips, specifically.
- Only One Name
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Not much is learn of them and are defeated before they can do anything important.
- Whip It Good: Iron whips: unlike typical whips they're shorter, bulkier, professional and very hard to boot.
Ginji TateharaMember of unknown rank (possibly a division commande), wields the Mystery Sword "Kasumi Shirosada", and boasts about his speed and reach. He's easily killed by Gensai
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Modesty isn't his strong suit.
- BFS: Kasumi Shirosada is a nodachi with a thinnier, curved blade made from the best steel, hence is faster than your everyday nodachi.
- Diagonal Cut: How Gensai killed him.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a single, sinister scar on his eye.
- Oh Crap!: Yes, Gensai is faster than you.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Really, you shouldn't give lessons about swords to two of the oldest and most skilled swordsmen of the country.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: We don't get much of his personalities, except his hubris.
Naosada WashizuThe cruel Daimyo of Unabara. He started the tournament in order to find a worthy successor and see which style is truly the strongest.
- Big Bad: Possibly. Later gets killed by Jinsuke.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Offpanel to boot.
- Face Framed in Shadow: Always, even when his face is properly shown.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a nasty looking, badly sewn scar on his scalp.
- Large Ham: He has his moments...
- Orcus on His Throne: He never leaves his palace.
- Red Herring: In the end he was just a disposable pawn.
Naoyoshi WashizuThe main character along with Gama, he's one of the Daimyo's sons. His mother was a commoner, hence he wants to clear her name (and end his days of humiliations and suffering) by winning the tournament and becoming the new Daimyo. He hired the Ogame Ryuu for this. However, after all his brothers and father are killed, he's forcefully installed as a puppet daimyo controlled by his mother and the Muhou Ryuu. He's eventually rescued by Gama and invited by Kamedembo to "join" the family of the Ogame School, becoming a member.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He was treated badly by everyone at court because of his humble origins.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: After the tournament, he's both the Daimyo and close to his mother... however, he's nothing but a puppet in hers and Jinsuke's hands.
- Berserk Button: Don't insult his mother.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Yup, being the son of a concubine and growing up with 30 othe brothers that treat you like crap isn't nice.
- Distressed Dude: Sort of: he's frequently targeted by his brothers and their assassins, making him in costant danger. After the Tournament, he's kept alive as a puppet leader for Jinsuke. And after the Time Skip, the Muhou Ryuu will kill him in a month as he has outlived his usefulness to them.
- Knife Nut: Wields a tanto knife as a memento from his mother.
- Out of Focus: During most of the after timeskip arc.
- Puppet King: Or rather, Puppet Daimyo after the Tournament.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Is much more mature and wise than his brothers.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: To his big brother Naosada in volume one. Later to Naokatsu.
- The Unfavorite: Due to being the son of a peasant born concubine, unlike his brothers.
- The Wise Prince: Seems to be the most well intentioned of the princes.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Post time skip, Jinsuke managed to made a game out of this: The Ogame Ryuu has a month for reaching Unabara, defeating the Muhou Ryuu and save Naoyoshi, who's now no longer of use to him. If they fail to reach him in time, Naoyoshi will be executed. To cup it all, even the Bakufu agents are now aiming for his life.
Naokatsu WashizuThe youngest of the Daimyo's son, he's the only one among them who's nice and gentle to Naoyoshi. Hires the Myojin Ryuu to fight and slowly reveals his true colors as a sneaking bastard who actually hated his brother, but is eventually impaled by Banri.
- Enfant Terrible: The youngest child, but still a prick.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Gets Impaled with Extreme Prejudice In the Back by Banri.
- Oh Crap!: When Banri tells him that he gives up.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To Naoyoshi, cementing him as a great bastard.
- Smug Snake: His true colors when revealed.
- Token Good Teammate: He's the only brother who's kind to Naoyoshi. Subverted.
- Villainous Breakdown: A textbook example. Also a case of Sore Loser.
- Wham Line: In-Universe, when Naoyoshi told him about his intention of joining the competition. Another told by him when Shingo's defeated.Naokatsu:"Brother... you've gained some excellent retainers, I may only be watching from afar, but I can sense your trust in them... Kill them all. (...) I said kill them all! Kill everyone that my brother places his trust in!"
NachiNaosada's advisor, is a creepy-looking man who's in charge of the tournament. He usually explain the situation to Naosada and describes the rules of the tournament. He later ditch his master and join Jinsuke in his quest.
- The Dragon: Possibly to Naosada. Later to Jinsuke.
- Face-Heel Turn: He's hired by the Muhou Ryuu post Time Skip, and was working with Jinsuke from the beginning.
- Mr. Exposition: He explains the rules of the tournament, and also explains other major things here and there through the story.
- Multicolored Hair: Half black and half white.
- Obviously Evil: Nasty looking scar, evil grin, black and white hair... yes.
- Torture Technician: Seems to be one in the Muhou Ryu.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: It seems like Naosuke forgot about him, so if he died during the bakufu attack or survived is unknown.
Agon and HakuryuTwo assassins from an unknown Ryuu which specialize in Dual Wielding axes. They were hired by the leader of the Tamagakushi Ryuu along with a nameless third member to kill Naoyoshi and pretend that it was a tsujigiri accident, but they're stopped and killed by Shin and Zenmaru
- An Axe to Grind: Their weapon of choice.
- The Brute: Especially Agon. Hakuryuu is more close to Lean and Mean.
- Dual Wielding: Both of them.
- Glass Cannon: Shin points out that their attack is something to fear, as an axe can shatter a katana blade. However, their defense is kinda lacking...
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Agon's Tomahawk attack.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: They appear briefly and are killed before showing any major characteristic.
- You Have Failed Me: Hakuryu is spared by Shin as he wants to interrogate him, but he's killed by Saizou.
YukioNaoyoshi's mother, was a concubine and so was mistreated for not being a noble, and eventually disowned his own son as well. In reality, she's plotting with Jinsuke and helped him to orchestrate the plan for taking over Unabara.
- Manipulative Bitch: She's willing to help Jinsuke by manipulating her own son.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To her son, including the red hair.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Apparently disappeared post-timeskip. In the last chapter is mentioned that she was executed by the Bakufu along with the remaining members of the Washizu clan.
- You Don't Look Like You: Like Jinsuke, she looked different from the original pictures of her when she finally appeared.