open/close all folders
"You're making too much of me. All I am these days is the poor owner of a small time candy store."Ichigo's mentor, at first. Known for usually wearing sandals and hats (so he's called Geta-Boshi or Hat & Clogs), and runs a very weird store. His personality may be a bit eccentric and playful, but he's the real deal. Urahara is later revealed as the former President of the Soul Society Research & Technology Center as well as a Gotei 13 Captain.His Zanpakuto is Benihime, a hidden-cane-sword that can create blood-based structures and launch energy blasts. His Bankai is Kannon Biraki Benihime Atarame, which summons a giant princess capable of 'restructuring' anything within its range. This allows both healing and remodelling limbs to optimise strength at the same time. It can also tear the flesh off of any foes foolish enough to get close to it.
- Actually a Doombot: Or rather, a blow-up doll that he can swap out in the middle of battle. It's one of his many, many inventions.
- Adaptive Ability: His Bankai has the ability to dissect and modify anything it wishes. When used defensively, it can take something damaged and make it stronger, and help it recover from or even resist whatever damaged it in the first place. Combined with his analytical mind, which enables him to counter any ability he's adjusted to, this makes him an extremely adaptable opponent and nigh-impossible to beat if you fail to do so in your first attempt.
- Anti-Hero: Of the Pragmatic Hero variety. He manipulated Rukia into slowly losing her powers in an attempt to destroy the Hogyouku, risked Ichigo's life to use him as a weapon against Aizen, often fails to give his allies crucial information, and breaks the laws of Soul Society and the human world with impunity. To his credit, Kisuke shows legitimate remorse when his deceptions are discovered, even apologizing to Ichigo, once he and his friends returned from Soul Society.
- Artificial Outdoors Display: Urahara has a habit of creating huge, elaborate, secret underground training rooms. The ground often has the look of rocky, mountainous terrain and the ceiling appears to be sunny, blue skies. When Ichigo comments on it, Urahara explains that he feels the airy, outdoor atmosphere makes for a better feeling when underground. Ichigo cynically retorts that's the sort of thing a gaoler would say. Hundreds of chapters later, it's confirmed that, until a century ago, Urahara did actually have a gaoler's job.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Standard for any Soul Reaper Captain, but it's actually in effect twice. His duties as the 3rd Seat of the 2nd Division included being the warden of what was essentially an insane asylum, and it was actually a requirement of the job that he be able to kick the ass of every single person committed to it with his bare hands. Most notably, one of them was Mayuri.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: As a former captain, and former member of the Onmitsukidou, he boasts some impressive power. But far greater is his genius for analysis that allows him to do things like turn the Arrancar bara technique into a No-Sell via perfect cancellation. His capacity for this is so great, in combination with his planning ability, that the Vandenreich have him marked as one of the Five Special War Powers of Soul Society.
- Badass Baritone: In the sub, anyway. While his voice sometimes gets high when he's putting on his Obfuscating Stupidity act, it's fairly deep when he drops the act.
- Badass Bookworm: He looks unimposing and prefers being a scientist over a warrior, but he's also a highly effective combatant. He designed a method of achieving Bankai, a formidable power that takes years to achieve, in three days and was the only one capable of this until Ichigo. He has also been known to pitch his numerous inventions in the midst of battle. Aizen, a frightfully villainous version of the badass bookworm, acknowledged Urahara as the most intelligent person in the story.
- Balls of Steel: Hiyori thinks they're made of brass after she kicks him there—or he could just be hiding something in his pants.
- Barrier Warrior: Benihime has a defensive ability that can block attacks from Espada-class fighters with ease.
- Beam Spam: Urahara can use Benihime to neutralize the speed-based bara technique by throwing equal and opposite energy back at the original attack.
- Calling Your Attacks: Benihime has even more named techniques than most zanpakutou. "Nake - Benihime!" ("Scream" or "Cry" in the English dub), "Chikisume no Tate!", "Kamisori - Benihime!", "Tsuppane - Benihime!", "Shibari - Benihime!", "Hiasobi - Benihime - Juzutsunagi!", various Kido spells.
- Crazy-Prepared: Even though Urahara lost to Aizen when they went one-on-one, he shot a kido spell into Aizen during their fight in the off chance Ichigo would weaken him enough for it to activate. It was a risky gambit that paid off. Even preparing that trap inside Aizen required him to layer spell after spell inside each other. Aizen didn't even notice until it was too late. He later admits to Askin that he always comes prepared with a "thousand what-if scenarios" to ensure he's never caught off-guard; even when something does surprise him, he'll have contingency plans.
- Eye Scream: Askin busts his right eye with an organ-destroying poison ring.
- Famed In-Story: When Ichigo first arrives in Soul Society, he discovers that just mentioning he was trained by someone called Urahara sends shock-waves through his listeners. Not only was Urahara someone who was infamous for being an exiled captain (later proven to have been framed by Aizen), but his long conflict with Aizen and his status as the most intelligent person "alive" means that not only has everyone heard of him, but everyone relies on him - even the people who don't want anything to do with him need his help. He's even a legend among the Royal Guard.
- Urahara: "Hello, everyone! Calling all Captains of the Gotei 13! And their respective Lieutenants, of course! This is Urahara Kisuke! Some of you may not have met me or be familiar with my name but I hope you'll forgive me if I skip the introductions..."Shinji: "Heh. As if anyone wouldn't know your name, dumbass!"
- Hat Damage: Ichigo's first use of Getsuga Tensho blasts his hat in half.Kisuke: "I do believe you've killed my hat."
- I Did What I Had to Do: His reasoning for allowing Ichigo to fight Renji and Byakuya while still a mere substitute. Ichigo loses his powers as a result, and it almost ended his life, but it granted the opportunity for Urahara to properly train Ichigo in the ways of the Soul Reapers, and he had quickly realised that Ichigo learned fastest when in real battle. Given how short on time they were, Urahara took the fastest, most efficient option.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: While most characters in Bleach tend to pick a fighting style and stick with it, Kisuke shows the ability to fluidly switch between swordsmanship to hand-to-hand to kido as needed. At the same time, he doesn't appear to have the raw power that characters like Ichigo and Aizen do. Despite that, his skill and great intellect means he can go toe-to-toe with just about anyone.
- Last-Name Basis: With just about everybody, regardless of how close their relationship. It's rare when he uses someone's given name. While he does call Yoruichi by her first name, it's never without respectful honorifics even then. He tends to overplay the part of an extremely humble person, of which, the respectful terms of address are a part.
- Meaningful Name: His name is a pun. While Urahara is an actual Japanese word, it is not a name; the kanji used here are "bank" and "meadow", but it's a play on the Japanese word for "reverse". The kanji used to write Kisuke's given name mean "fond" and "assistance". So the name sounds like "reverse fond assistant".
- Mysterious Backer: Urahara opposes Aizen, but his methods are frequently quite harsh and his reasons for it are rather murky.
- Mysterious Past: Although we've had substantial flashbacks to his past, there's an awful lot we still don't know. We don't know how he came to be raised alongside Yoruichi. We don't know what motivated him to research Hollowfication and the Hougyoku or what he was after by doing so. We don't know why he's met the Soul King when even captains can't do that. We don't even fully understand the origin of his conflict with Aizen or what their ultimate goals really were.
- Never Bareheaded: After his exile from Soul Society, he wears his green-and-white-striped hat constantly. The brim usually keeps his eyes in shadow, and he frequently uses it to help obscure the rest of his face. When someone knocks his hat off, he is quick to put it back on, even if it has been damaged.
- Nice Guy: During his tenure with the Gotei 13, towards his then subordinates, especially a very aggressive Hiyori. However, this tended to make people think he was a pushover.
- Nice Hat: He wears an odd striped bucket hat and a pair of wooden sandals that earned him the in-universe nickname of Mister Hat And Clogs.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Guessing Orihime's unique power is valuable to Aizen, Urahara takes her off the front line to prevent her being targeted but doesn't admit why he's doing it. Rukia takes Orihime to Soul Society to train her for front line battle takes her away from Urahara's watchful eye, and allows Aizen to stage a kidnapping within the Dangai. The Dangai is supposed to be impossible to break into, so people travelling there are very vulnerable. However, the person who figured out how to break into the Dangai was Urahara himself, the only man capable of predicting and countering everything Aizen does. Urahara ends up kicking himself for his mistake.
- Oh, Crap!: Has an epic one when he realises the Zero Division has failed and the Soul King has been killed.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Urahara has no narrow scientific specialty. He has been shown creating medicinal serums and pills, constructing gateways, building and using unique computers, and his greatest invention is an Artifact of Doom of seemingly limitless potential. His expertise even extends into physical sciences, such as developing unique physical training methods, understanding particle physics enough to negate attacks, and creating unique weapons and armor to combat specific opponents. Also, since magic and science overlap in this story, Urahara is a capable spell-caster and has created his own unique spells, too.
- Omniscient Morality License: He's rather secretive about his culpability in the shadier aspects of the story, and his solutions always carry an incredible risk for everyone involved. Very often characters don't even find out about the risks involved until after they're already deeply involved. He's usually apologetic and forgiven, but people know better than to trust him too far.
- Parental Substitute: He appears to be the only parent figure Jinta and Ururu have, wherever they came from... and whatever they are.
- Perma-Stubble: He's pretty lax about cleanliness and appearances, making him look like a perpetually unshaven bum.
- Playing with Fire: One of Benihime's techniques causes a net of fire to appear.
- Reality Warper: It turns out that his Bankai, Guanyin Biraki Benihime Atarame, is capable of restructuring anything within its range, including unweaving enemies, creating tunnels through reality, healing ludicrous injuries, and even reassembling anatomy to grant enhanced fighting ability... and that's just what's been shown so far.
- Running Gag: His dimensional gates always force people to exit high in the sky, causing them to start tumbling to their deaths unless someone has the power, or a magical gadget, to catch them all and help them to the ground safely.Nel: "Aaah!! The sky! We're up in the sky!"Ichigo: "Yeah, this is par for the course with Urahara-san's entrances!Urahara: "Why, I'm flattered you noticed!"
- Scale of Scientific Sins: His sin is somewhere between "creating life" and "usurping God". His greatest creation, the Hougyoku, is a nigh-omnipotent, reality-altering MacGuffin which has its own sentience. The moment he created it, he realized that it was a bad idea and tried to destroy it, but found that it was impossible to do so. This is what led to the events with it included, and Urahara has been trying very hard to make up for it ever since.
- Science Hero: Responsible for turning the 12th Division into a science bureau and was the developer of a special undetectable gigai, as well as a gigai that turns shinigami fully human, and other powerful artifacts.
- Shipper on Deck: He designs and makes an incredibly stripperiffic dress for Orihime to wear, and easily gets her to do so by saying it'd help cheer up Ichigo. As Yoruichi calls Ichigo a coward for trying to hide how he does appreciate Orihime's dress, Urahara himself is all "Yeah, that was Worth It"
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: To help Ichigo regain his spiritual powers, Kisuke just severs his chain of fate and chucks him into a pit. If he can't get out after three days, he'll turn into a hollow and have to be put down. Ururu implies that they would have rescued him if the deadline had arrived with no hope of progress, but Ichigo didn't know that and Jinta kept making snide remarks about how long he had to live.
- The Strategist: Uruhara was named one of the Vandenreich's Five Special War Powers due to his ability to pull off complex tactics and adjust his plans on the fly to account for unforeseen circumstances.
- Sword Beam: With the command "Sing/Scream", Benihime can launch blood-red energy blasts powerful enough to counter an Espada's cero.
- Two Guys and a Girl: With Tessai and Yoruichi, as they all grew up together, although their full connection is still mysterious.
- Uncertain Doom: He clearly no longer had the strength to escape from Askin's Gift Ball Deluxe, and while Nel seems to be getting ready to save him, we don't hear a peep about him in the "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue, despite him being a pretty important character. Official light novel sequels co-authored by Tito Kibe reveal that he and Yoruichi were rescued.
- Underestimating Badassery: Urahara, of all folks, got shot in the back for seriously underestimating Quilge Opie. The only reason Quilge was able to strike back with his injuries was because he used an extremely rare technique that had also caught Mayuri completely off-guard in the Soul Society arc when Uryuu used it. As soon as he has a chance to study their techniques and equipment, Urahara's back in business.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Yoruichi. She constantly gives him a hard time, he pretends to be hurt, and both of them think it's funny.
- The Worf Effect: When Aizen enters his chrysalis stage, Urahara is one of the three powerful Soul Reapers he effortlessly defeats as a reveal for his new power level.
"Heart and Soul are connected, what is important is where is the heart."One of the most beloved female characters in Bleach. Yoruichi is the dark-skinned Soul Reaper who acts as a mentor/guide or sorts for Ichigo and friends in Soul Society and later revealed as one of the more powerful Soul Reapers. She was once a member of the Shihouin noble family, and mentored both Byakuya and Sui-Fon. She has the ability to turn herself into a black cat, complete with masculine voice. Also, later chapters reveal her to be the former Captain of the 2nd squad of Gotei 13, preceding Sui-Feng. Her ultimate form is Shunkō: Raiju Senkei: Shunryū Kokubyō Senkei, which turns her into a human-cat-thunder goddess hybrid, granting her tremendous speed and strength at the (temporary) cost of her human intelligence and forcing her to behave like a cat.
- Action Girl: Yoruichi is an excellent hand to hand fighter and developed a special technique to combine hand to hand combat with kido.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair is black with a purple sheen in the manga. The anime took the manga's purple sheen and made an entire hair colour out of it for the anime.
- Ambiguously Brown: She's dark-skinned but has a Japanese name. Her ethnicity is never commented on in the story, so the cultural significance of her appearance is unknown.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: This is weaponized with Shunkō: Raiju Senkei. Her mood becomes akin to a feral cat, with interests and whims that change moment to moment. This affects her Reiatsu as well, meaning that any Adaptive Ability which has adjusted to her Reiatsu has to try and keep up with changes that occur dozens of times in one second.
- Barefisted Monk: Yoruichi's zanpakuto is only shown in a flashback. She always fights without weapons and only ever uses armour once, when protecting her arms and legs to fight a supernaturally empowered Aizen. Although Soi Fon has basically the same fighting style as Yoruichi, she relies more on her zanpakuto than Yoruichi does. Yoruichi can empower her unarmed combat style with a unique Ki Attack called Shunkou to strengthen her physical attacks beyond the physical limit, a technique that Soi Fon can also use.
- Big Eater: Her table manners are disastrous, with the most notable example of her habit occurring after her battle with Yammy where she eats giant-sized portions of everything.
- Bokukko: She uses the personal pronoun 'washi', which is generally used by old men.
- Cat Girl: In addition to being able to shift between feline and human form, she has her ultimate Super Mode, Shunkō: Raiju Senkei. It causes her to grow a cat's tail and pointed ears, and gives her clawed paws made of lightning reiatsu. She detests using it, calling it "disgusting, half-cocked, [and] undignified", presumably due to the transformation stripping her naked and reducing her to a feral psychological state.
- Even the Girls Want Her: When Yoruichi was a mentor to Sui-Feng, the latter developed a Bodyguard Crush on her.
- Fallen Princess: Heiress to a powerful clan and Soul Reaper captain who abandoned everything to join Urahara in exile in order to see through his mysterious end-game.
- Flash Step: Considered to be the most proficient in the art in all of Soul Society. Possibly ever.
- Gag Boobs: Subjects a teenaged Byakuya to Marshmallow Hell as a way of greeting him in the Turn Back The Pendulum arc, and while her chest isn't as big as Matsumoto's or Orihime's it's still big enough to warrant Yachiru nicknaming her "Boobies".
- I Did What I Had to Do: When Ichigo tries to confront Ukitake and Byakuya at Rukia's prison, Yoruichi intervenes and stabs her hand into Ichigo's wounds to insert a tranquilliser into his body so she can carry him away from the location as quickly as possible. When Ichigo comes round and demands to know why she did that and why she didn't try to save Rukia, Ganju or Hanatarou, she explains that she had to do it this way because Byakuya was too strong for Ichigo to fight and too fast for Yoruichi to be able to escape if carrying more than one person. She also knew Ukitake would protect the others from any consequences of being associated with Ichigo.
- Informed Ability: She is a former captain and should, in fact, have bankai. However, we have yet to even see her sword. She fights exclusively bare handed and nobody has commented on her lack of a sword.
- Ironic Echo: When Byakuya sneers at her Flash Step, she makes it clear he just hit a body double, sneers back at him and runs off.
- Last-Name Basis: She's on a First-Name Basis with Byakuya (Kuchiki), whom she mentored when he was a child. However, she's on a Last-Name Basis with Rukia (Kuchiki) who was adopted into the Kuchiki clan as an adult, long after Yoruichi was officially gone.
- Leotard of Power: Urahara's anti-Arrancar armour consists of a black leotard with gauntlets and greaves intended to augment her punches and kicks, and it's powerful enough to damage Aizen's chrysalis form.
- Lightning Bruiser: She's not only the " Goddess of Flash", she has enough Super Strength to trounce Yammy Llargo, who is known for Super Strength even with his zanpakuto sealed. With Shunkou powering her speed and strength, only a specially powered-up Aizen can stop her.
- Ms. Fanservice: Yoruichi is a busty woman who is very exhibitionist when it comes to human form. She teases Ichigo about his bashfulness during his Naked First Impression of her human form, and in general wears backless clothing and leotards. Chapter 662 places a particular emphasis on her backside.
- Naked First Impression: When she first reveals she's human rather than a cat, her transformation leaves her naked. Ichigo almost has a stroke when she sits down in front of him, cross-legged, as though nothing's wrong.
- Of Corsets Sexy: She wears a white corset and underwear while eating a huge amount of food. The point of the scene is to reveal how badly injured her body was after the fight with Yammy as her arm and leg are completely covered in bandages and food consumption is related to how reiatsu-depleted a shinigami has become.
- Pervert Revenge Mode: She kicks Uruhara in the face when he gropes her butt during her fight with Askin Nakk Le Vaar, then berates him for making vulgar comments.
- Power Fist: Combined with Armed Legs when Uruhara equips her with Anti-Hierro armor that augments her punches and kicks. While she successfully cracks Aizen's "chrysalis", she fails to do any significant damage to him.
- Private Tutor: A century before the story begins, the adolescent Byakuya was privately tutored by Yoruichi to improve his shunpou. It's implied that she was also teaching him to rein in his Hair-Trigger Temper and learn how to relax.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Yoruichi's more powerful Shunkō abilities are named and themed after the Shinto god of thunder, Raijin, and the lightning yōkai Raijū.
- Samus Is a Girl: When she's a cat, it's common for people to think she's male due to her masculine speech.
- Sexy Mentor: She's played this role towards both Ichigo and Byakuya, neither of whom were thrilled with her style of mentoring. In Ichigo's case, it's because of his sexual modesty (she liked to be naked around him), and in Byakuya's, it's because she used to force him with into silly games while he was seriously training (although those silly games were a form of training in their own way).
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: If she spends long periods in cat form, she forgets that her transformations leave her naked upon returning to human form. However, she's proud of her physique and enjoys teasing men so it doesn't embarrass her when it does happen.
- Shipper on Deck: She bluntly and lewdly told Ichigo how rude it was to hide that he was very Distracted by the Sexy after Orihime went through the trouble of wearing an outfit with a large Cleavage Window for him.
- Shock and Awe: Unlike Suì-Fēng's wind-based perfected Shunkō, Yoruichi's utilizes electricity and its advanced forms are even named after the Shinto gods of thunder, Raijin and Raijū.
- Spoiled Sweet: Despite being the heir of one of the four most important noble clans, being a captain and being the commander of the Covert Ops, Yoruichi was famous for being a down-to-earth person who didn't lord herself over her subordinates. She was highly respected because of this.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Yoruichi has golden eyes in all forms, whether human or cat. The shapeshifting ability is an extremely unusual power even for the magical shinigami.
- Super Mode: Her Shunkō combines kidō with the Hakuda martial art and greatly augments her speed, offence, and defence, while wreathing her body in electricity.
- The Tease: The first time she appeared naked in front of Ichigo was her genuinely forgetting that she probably shouldn't be doing that. His reaction led to her flaunting herself at him just to make him embarrassed.
- Thanks for the Mammary: Sticks her hand between Orihime's breasts while holding it up to stop her from apologizing for her new outfit's Cleavage Window.
- Thong of Shielding: Her newest transformation leaves her backside bare except a thong made of pure reiatsu. Has to be seen to be believed.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: As a rather unladylike hand to hand fighter, she has an appropriate hairstyle for not getting in the way.
- Two Guys and a Girl: With Tessai and Urahara, as they all grew up together, although why isn't known for now.
- Uncertain Doom: Like Urahara, she was heavily poisoned by Askin and likely didn't have the strength to escape his Gift Ball Deluxe. Nel is shown getting ready to save them, but she isn't even mentioned during the "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue. Official light novel sequels co-authored by Tito Kibe reveal that she and Urahara were rescued.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Urahara. She constantly gives him a hard time, he pretends to be hurt, and both of them think it's funny.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Can transform into a cat. No other Soul Reaper (or other character, period) demonstrates any similar ability, and it's never explained how she does it.
- Waif-Fu: According to the databook, she's 156cm (5ft 2in something) and 42kg (92 lb). Despite her short stature, she packs a punch and was the former head of the Onmitsukidō, an organization of Soul Reaper ninja.
- The Worf Effect: When Aizen enters his chrysalis stage, she is one of the three powerful Soul Reapers he effortlessly defeats as a reveal for his new power level.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple hair in the anime.
General assistant to Urahara around the store who has to occasionally strong arm his boss into looking after himself.As the former captain of the Kido Corps, he is extremely adept at casting Kidou spells, even forbidden ones.
- Voiced by: Kiyoyuki Yanada (JP), Michael Sorich (US), Martín Soto (Latin America)
- Badass Mustache: He has a big, bushy mustache. He is the former commander of the elite Kidou Corps, has performed some of the highest level spells to date, and is incredibly physically powerful hand-to-hand and weapons-fighter as well.
- Magic Knight: Used to be the captain of the Kidou Corps division and is the only character to date to have used the highest level of kidou (bakudou number 99) known to be possible.
- Simple Staff: Carried one in his days back as head of the magic specialists.
"Silence! No matter what reason, to he who disrupts this household’s iron harmony, only a punishment of blood can be rendered!"The father of Ichigo, Yuzu and Karin. He's a doctor at a small clinic and, apart from some rather odd parenting techniques, at first seems to be a normal human who doesn't share his children's spiritual senses. He's later revealed to be a former captain-class Soul Reaper who'd known all along that Ichigo was a substitute Soul Reaper and Kon was inhabiting Ichigo's body to maintain The Masquerade.His Zanpakuto is Engetsu, which shares some abilities with his son's sword Zangetsu - namely the signature technique Getsuga Tenshou.
- Action Dad: He pretends to be a Supernatural-Proof Father, but in reality he's an extremely powerful Soul Reaper, to the point where he proved capable of pushing Aizen to his limits without releasing his Zanpakuto. In general, he lets his son handle the Hollows that intrude into Karakura Town due to being powerless for the first half of the series, and being a fugitive from Soul Society.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Isshin is a master at Obfuscating Stupidity, to the point where as far as Ichigo and (to some extent) Karin are concerned he's an embarrassment to the family.
- As You Know: Isshin and Urahara have a conversation about the Visoreds and the Arrancar in which they inform each other of much information they both already know, for Kon's (and, in the anime, the Bount modsouls') benefit... which fortuitously also brings the readers up to date. Later on, the "Turn Back the Pendulum" arc reveals that the version of events they shared was only part of the story.
- Badass Beard: He always wears a shadow of a beard. As a captain-class Soul Reaper, he one-shots a souped-up Grand Fisher, is capable of going one-on-one with Aizen and, in the past, was able to fight evenly with Aizen's unique hollowfied proto-Arrancar, despite having been badly injured by Aizen.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: When he was still a captain, he had a reputation for being extremely lazy. It was a constant competition with his equally lazy Lieutenant Rangiku Matsumoto to see who could foist the most work onto the other so they could escape responsibility.
- Bumbling Dad: He's normally quite goofy around his children and often picks play fights with his son as well as engaging in a lot of physical humor.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Back when he was a captain, he would ogle his lieutenant Matsumoto's huge breasts and got smacked for it. However, he was very competent and serious whenever he was on duty, and when Masaki (the woman who saved him) desperately needed help, he immediately decided to return the favor.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's a crazy, perverted father who is regarded as useless by his children, who are constantly sick of being embarrassed by his goofy behaviour, such as walking up a hill on his hands to try and get his daughters to race towards the cemetery. However, when he reveals he is a captain-class Soul Reaper, it's while saving Kon's life from the Grand Fisher - by killing the Arrancar with a single strike of his sword and stern, solemn lecture about the difference in power between them.
- De-Power: In order to save Masaki from being consumed by White, Isshin enters a special gigai that suppresses the Hollow with reishi strings, but seals his Soul Reaper powers and essentially turns him into a human. It wasn't until White, in the form of Ichigo's Inner Hollow, was unleashed from the strings that his powers began to return.
- Dynamic Entry: He likes waking up Ichigo in the morning by exploding through the bedroom door with a flying leap. Ichigo doesn't like this and is usually ready for him.
- Finger Poke of Doom: Points his middle finger at a transforming Aizen and sends him flying through several buildings.
- Flaming Sword: His Shikai engulfs his sword in flaming reiatsu.
- Foil: For Ryuuken, in the same way that Ichigo is for Uryuu. Their stories parallel each other—aloof father with mysterious past who at first seems oblivious to son's paranormal activities then turns up to fix things when he loses his powers—but they are as different as night and day. Lampshaded in chapter 241 when Isshin and Ryuuken debate whose parenting is worse.
- Isshin once lamented how it's rare for Ryuken to call him "Kurosaki". That's because Kurosaki is Masaki's family name. Isshin changed his surname to hers when he married her.
- Urahara makes a passing mention that it's been 20 years since Isshin "became human" and that Isshin gave up his powers. That's because Isshin volunteered for a process whereby he'd enter a special gigai that would turn him mostly human, which would seal his ability to use his power. Rukia's own gigai experience at the beginning of the story also foreshadows Isshin's past.
- When Urahara asked if he felt any satisfaction at killing Grand Fisher, Isshin points out it isn't the Grand Fisher he hates. That's because the Grand Fisher isn't the true cause of Masaki's death; the blame lies with Yhwach, who stole her power while she was fighting the Grand Fisher. She only died because she was left suddenly powerless against a Hollow she should have curb-stomped.
- Hot-Blooded: He's an emotional mess as a human, flying into emotional reactions at almost everything his children do or say. When he puts on his Soul Reaper uniform, however, that act drops to reveal someone who is focussed, measured, calm and very deliberate.
- Meet Cute: Isshin and Masaki's plotline in "Everything but the Rain" is this trope played straight. However, the storyline itself is that their meeting inadvertently breaks Ryuuken in the process.
- My Greatest Failure: Isshin first reveals he's a Soul Reaper when saving Kon's life from Aizen's Arrancar, the Hollow that killed Ichigo's mother six years before the story begins. Kon learns that Isshin voluntarily sacrificed his powers twenty years before this moment, has only just regained his powers, and that's why he couldn't save Masaki six years ago. When Urahara asks Isshin if he has any regrets, Isshin says his only regret is that he couldn't save Masaki "that night". Masaki died during a mid-afternoon downpour. It's eventually revealed that Masaki and Isshin first met twenty years ago at night, during a battle in Karakura Town against one of Aizen's Hollowfication experiments. Masaki saves Isshin's life, but is fatally infected by the Hollow in the process. When Urahara binds Isshin's power to Masaki's soul, it stabilises her soul, but leaves her Quincy nature permanently corrupted. The corruption is what gets her selected by the Quincy King's purge six years before the story begins, and is what causes Masaki to die at the hands of the Arrancar that later tries to kill Kon. The implication is that Isshin's regret is regarding the events of the night they first met, rather than the day she actually died.
- Mysterious Past: It took over 500 chapters to finally answer most of the questions about him and his origins and connections to other major figures in the story. This first came into question just after the Soul Society arc when it was revealed he had Soul Reaper powers. Even now, there are some significant questions about his relationship with Ryuuken and Kisuke over the last 20 years.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Isshin pretends to be a bumbling idiot of a father, but he's far more intelligent and observant than he lets on. He tells Kon that he's been able to tell when the Mod Soul was replacing Ichigo all along and that's why Isshin never called his son by name during those periods.
- Odd Friendship: With Ryuuken, rooted in his Mysterious Past. This finally begins to be explained in the Thousand Year Blood War arc: they met around the same time Isshin came to Earth and was rescued by Masaki, and Ryuuken also witnessed how Isshin and Urahara saved Masaki from the Hollow that almost consumed her.
- Playing with Fire: Isshin's command to release Engetsu is 'Burn' and it causes the blade to be surrounded by flame energy.
- Rescue Romance: His relationship with Masaki began when she used her Quincy powers to save him from a powerful Hollow, and then he bonded his soul to hers to stop her from Hollowfying.
- Retired Badass: He's a former Gotei 13 captain who is officially AWOL from the Soul Society. Unlike fellow Retired Badass and Heroic Neutral Ryuuken, Isshin is quite willing to start using his abilities as soon as he regains his powers. However, that's only to support Ichigo's battles. He does not return to the Gotei 13.
- Shrine to the Fallen: Isshin Kurosaki keeps a wall-sized poster of his deceased wife and often makes a show of crying to her over his children. It irritates them and they wish he'd take the poster down.
- Smoking Is Cool: Masaki told him the only time he looked cool was when he was smoking. He only smokes once a year - in front of her grave, on the anniversary of her death.
- Sword Beam: Like Ichigo's Zangetsu, his Zanpakuto can fire a powerful blast of reiatsu called Getsuga Tensho. More notably, he can use it while his Zanpakuto is in its unreleased state.
- The Worf Effect: When Aizen enters his chrysalis stage, Isshin is one of the three powerful Soul Reapers he effortlessly defeats as a reveal for his new power level.
"I swear. I really don't like gettin' involved in Soul Reaper fights. Oh well. When you hear the sound of fighting so close by you can't just ignore it."The unofficial leader of the Visoreds, he was the one that tried to recruit Ichigo into their little band. He was the former captain of the 5th Division, with Aizen as his lieutenant, prior to his Hollowfication. He is goofy, carefree and tends to get abused by Hiyori, but he is in fact an extremely effective combatant.His zanpakuto is Sakanade, an unusually-shaped sword that releases a sweet mist when called upon. Any foes who catch onto the scent have all of their senses flipped and inverted.
- Badass Boast: When Aizen asks him how long he'd known Aizen was spying on his conversation with Urahara, Shinji retorts he's known since Aizen was in his mother's womb.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: He utterly wiped the floor with Grimmjow in their first meeting, while wearing a snazzy suit and tie, with a Badass Longcoat flapping around him to accentuate his attack moves.
- Batman Gambit: He "reveals" his reversing ability to Aizen, without revealing that he can pick and choose which of the three dimensions he reverses, who then counters because his own abilities are a more complex version of Shinji's. This causes Aizen to think he has him figured out. Cut to him reversing front and back on Hitsugaya's attack, and Aizen never suspecting a thing because Hitsugaya is otherwise unaffected. He also uses said ability to deliver what could have been a One-Hit KO to Bambietta. She only survives because her type of explosive attack is area-effect, so it doesn't matter that her senses are screwed up.
- Blatant Lies: He refers to any pretty girl he meets as his "first love", including Lisa but not Hiyori.
- Butt-Monkey: Hiyori keeps giving him sandal-beatdowns, but he's not gonna leave it at that and take it like a punching bag - just don't expect him to actually punch her back as many times as she's done to him.
- Chekhov's Gun: Remember, a long while back, when Shinji introduced himself in class by writing his name backwards and claiming he's very good at reversing things? Turns out that his Zanpakuto's released power is to reverse his opponent's sense of direction. Down is up, left is right, a cut on the right arm will show up on the left, and so forth. This ability made him the first character to injure Aizen.
- Combat Pragmatist:
- When fighting Aizen along with the other heroes, Shinji stayed far away from the actual skirmish until he saw the right moment. Then, he used his shikai ability to reverse Aizen's perception so that an attack that seemed to be ahead of him was actually behind. It would have worked, if that had been the real Aizen.
- Against Gerard of the Vandenreich, he and Byakuya order their lieutenants to behead the enemy and finish him off before he can activate his Super Mode. This shocks Momo, but Shinji points that he's had enough of enemies that get back up after a beating and state that now they've analyzed all the heroes' moves. This doesn't work, but Shinji was definitely thinking pragmatically.
- Didn't See That Coming: Sakanade would've actually impaired Bambietta significantly... if her Vollstandig wasn't omnidirectional.
- Early-Bird Cameo: His actual debut is on the Volume 1 cover. His design is re-worked for his eventual appearance as a transfer student to try and lure Ichigo to his organisation.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy: He explains his shikai's inversion ability to Aizen, though Aizen had already figured most of it out and Shinji neglected to explain some key points of his ability.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: As a Captain, he had long hair. After being exiled he kept it in a pageboy style. Now, after being reinstated as a captain, his bangs over his left eye are shorter than his right.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: After the time-skip, he wears his fringe in an asymmetryical design.
- Gut Feeling: When fighting Gerard, Shinji mentions that he seemed like the type of guy who can get up after a beating and now have "analyzed" all the opponent's moves to counter them. Because of this, he and Byakuya try to finish him off immediately.
- Informed Ability: Shinji claims the effects of his zanpakuto are impossible to get used to. Aizen, however, immediately adapts because his own ability is a more complicated version of Shinji's. Bambietta never adapts to his ability because her power, being omni-directional, can ignore her senses being screwed up.
- Interface Screw: A non video game example in how his shikai works. The target's visual perception is inverted, either in whole or in part. He later trains himself to alter audio perception as well, meaning he can simultaneously explain his powers to the enemy while not actually telling them anything because they can't understand it.
- Keeping the Enemy Close: He distrusted Aizen so made him his lieutenant so he could keep an eye on him. This massively backfired as Aizen used his position to perform evil experiments and eventually turn Hirako and a number of other high level Soul Reapers into hollows.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: At first, we think he's just some doofus who gets abused by Hiyori. Then we not only learn that he's the unofficial leader of the Visored, but we see him kick the crap out of Grimmjow seconds after the Espada uses Ichigo's body as a soccer ball. Not to mention, back when almost everyone was fooled by Aizen's Bitch in Sheep's Clothing act, he never fell for it.
- Volleying Insults: He and Hiyori are constantly insulting each other and fighting, which frequently ends with Hiyori using her sandal on him.
- Would Hit a Girl: Although he says he'd rather not, he had no qualms at all striking Bambietta when she was unable to adjust to Sakanade's power.
"I really, really hate humans. I really hate Soul Reapers too."Highly short-tempered, irritable and tomboyish, she's arguably the closest to Shinji out of all the other Visoreds. Once attempted to kill Orihime and Chad to keep them from learning of hers and Shinji's identities. She was once the lieutenant of the 12th division under Urahara, whom she absolutely loathed at first due to replacing her mother figure.Her Zanpakuto is Kubikiri Orochi, an enormous cleaver.
- A-Cup Angst: Hiyori is self-conscious of her small bust size and becomes jealous of Orihime when they first meet.
- BFS: Her Kubikiri Orochi is a massive cleaver with quite the impractical design.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Hiyori resembles a girl in her early teens and is around the same height as Toshiro Hitsugaya, making her the shortest of the Visored. She is also the most abrasive and aggressive of the Visored, constantly bickering with Shinji and picking fights with others.
- Catch-Phrase: Her favourite insult for enemies or people who are annoying her is to repeatedly call them "Baldy", regardless of whether or not they're actually bald.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: When she first challenges Ichigo to bring out his inner hollow, she fights and insults him until he's pushed into releasing it. The transformation almost kills her before the rest of the Visoreds can intervene and bring him down.
- Cute Little Fangs: Hiyori has a single protruding canine tooth and invokes this trope when she says it's her "charm point". She's also teasingly called "Snaggletooth" as a result of it.
- Enemy Within: Like the other Visored, she has an Inner Hollow that tried to take over her. What makes her notable is that she took the longest of them to defeat hers, and her time is used as a benchmark when Ichigo is fighting his own Inner Hollow.
- Fantastic Racism: Privately told Hirako that she hates Soul Reapers, as well as humans in general. When Shinji, Kensei, Rose and Mashiro rejoin the Gotei 13, she remains in the World of the Living.
- Girlish Pigtails: She's childish and keeps her hair in two pigtails.
- Groin Attack: She boots Urahara between the legs once he's appointed as her captain and hurts her foot. Apparently, he's quite hard.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Hiyori is easily angered and quick to pick fights with everyone. Gin uses this against her by provoking her into rushing blindly in, then bisecting her.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Gin slices her in half when her back is turned. It was so fast that the poor girl only noticed when she saw her lower body fly past her. The censored version in the anime has her Impaled with Extreme Prejudice instead.
- Kansai Regional Accent: Uses uchi as a personal pronoun which is a staple of young women in the Kansai area.
- Leeroy Jenkins: She has a tendency to pick fights with people whether she's really strong enough or not, which is seen as early as her baiting Ichigo into using his Hollow form, which nearly kills her. Even more seriously, running straight at the most powerful villain in the series without regard for tactics or bothering to keep an eye on his The Dragon gets her cut down and cleaved in half... literally.
- Perpetual Frowner: Hiyori is enraged with the world in general, and is an aggressive, angry personality at the best of times.
- Shoe Slap: Every time Shinji does or says something to annoy her, she pulls off her sandal and slaps him with it.
- Token Mini-Moe: Hiyori is the shortest and youngest-looking of the Visored, something that she is not very happy about.
- Combat Pragmatist: After having witnessed the speed at which Wonderweiss brings down Mashiro's normally 15-hour Hollowfication mask, he states that he's not the kind to go easy on kids and whips out his bankai immediately, rather than holding back as per the usual Soul Reaper custom.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: While not a boxer per se, he primarily fights with his fists. More or less makes sense, since his shikai takes the form of a trench combat knife, and his bankai something akin to spiked knuckles and armor. The way Tachikaze works is that he sends shockwaves through your body, even if it's just a love tap. Tekken Tachikaze amplifies that to an absurd degree; when punched, it'll feel like your organs are imploding.
- Mr. Fanservice: Well built, gruff and with an outfit that shows his chest off.
- Perpetual Frowner: Maybe he doesn't because he can't smile to begin with? His smile during an attempt to cheer up Hisagi ends up being an unintentional evil grin. He does a little better later, but that's it.
- Real Men Cook: Within the Visoreds group, Kensei is the loud-mouthed, aggressive close-combat fighter and Knife Nut. He is also the group's best cook and their chef of choice for large gatherings. Ichigo once complains that Kensei has a tendency to cook too many carbs but the food itself is cooked to a very high standard.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Presumably to show off his more muscle-based physique than is normal for the series he wears no sleeves.
- Team Chef: He can be seen cooking for the Visoreds as early as Ichigo's original Hollow mask training and the databooks indicate he's a really good cook.
- Tsundere: Towards Mashiro. The prime example when he saves her from Wonderweiss and then denies that's what he was doing. Then he proceeds to release his bankai to kick Wonderweiss' ass.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Back when he was a Captain, his shirt was constantly open.
- Would Hurt a Child: After he rescues Mashiro, he tells Wonderweiss that he doesn't care if he's a kid, he's still beating him down.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Interestingly, the Pendulum arc shows his Squad having to hold him back while Mashiro bugs him constantly on a mission...but when he's on his own with her and she, sleeping, accuses him of being a pervert, Kensei blushes and half-heartedly tells her, "Don't make me smack you!"
"How dare you. You ripped my scarf. I'll never forgive you."A youthful Visored noted for her rather childish behaviour at most points. She was Kensei's lieutenant, and the second to be Hollowfied. Her zanpakuto is unknown due to fighting only with kicks. She can hold her hollow form much longer than the rest of the group.
- Genius Ditz: Was able to keep her Hollow mask for 15 hours during her first try. To put it into perspective, during his first try, Ichigo could manage four seconds, tops, and after a month of training he only got it to eleven seconds. The other Visoreds can only last a few minutes with it as well even now.
- Hidden Buxom: Her jumpsuit doesn't show off her cleavage, but during the Pendulum arc she looks a lot bustier in her Soul Reapers robes.
- Kick Chick: Her preferred method of fighting, but she does have a zanpakuto that she never uses. All part of her being a confirmed Kamen Rider Shout-Out. She can even fires Cero, named 'Mashiro Super Cero', just from her kick!
- Leeroy Jenkins: Yeah she's strong, but has a total lack of common sense on the battlefield. So much so that when told by Kensei to watch her time limit on her mask. She disregarded the warning, thinking her managing 15 hours was enough to keep fighting. She didn't take into account that her powers will still drain during fighting and, since she was against Wonderweiss, a particularly powerful Arrancar. She wound up exceeding her mask's power and it broke off her face. Mashiro got severely beaten for her trouble, needing Kensei to bail her out.
- Ms. Fanservice: She wears a skin-tight unitard, gropes herself when she sleeps and gets several shots accentuating her rather shapely ass.
- Odd Friendship: With the gentle, calm, sensible Hachi, getting rather jealous (in a comical way) when Hachi and Orihime bond over their healing powers.
- Scarf Of Ass Kicking: Wears a short red or orange scarf as part of her Kamen Rider shoutout design. Ripping it will irritate her.
- Shout-Out: To Kamen Rider; Kubo was influenced by Kamen Rider when designing her jumpsuit, kick attacks, scarf, and hollowfied form and mask.
- Sweet Tooth: According to the databooks, Kensei once became enraged when Mashiro gave the Visoreds candy when it was her turn to cook dinner.
- Woman Child: Ditzy, oblivious, tantrum-prone and spacey, even though she looks about 18.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair.
Rojuro "Rose" Otoribashi
Rojuro "Rose" Otoribashi
What manner of guitar could fail to cry when faced with the deaths of so many men? My guitar is already crying.A comparatively calm, easy-going Visored, with a seemingly disinterested flair and a thing for music. Former captain of the 3rd Division.His Zanpakuto is Kinshara a sound-based whip capable of enveloping his opponents in powerful explosions. His bankai is Kinshara Butōdan, which uses music to create illusions to harm the enemy.
- Voiced by: Shouto Kashi (JP), Christopher Corey Smith (JP), Moisés Palacios (Latin-American Spanish)
- Animal Motifs: His Hollow mask resembles a bird.
- Didn't See That Coming: When he explains his power depends on sound, his opponent goes to the extreme length of deliberately destroying his own ear-drums so that deafness will grant him immunity to Rose's power.
- Explaining Your Powers To The Enemy: Once he enters Bankai, he explains how his power works and the relevance of it being sound-based. As a result, Mask takes the extreme and shocking measure of destroying his own ear-drums to protect himself from Rose's power.
- Good Is Not Nice: Butchers Mask's compatriot and fanboy James, who is unarmed and is a cheering fan rather than a fighter, in order to gain an advantage over the Stern Ritter. He showed zero remorse or hesitance regarding the affair.
- I Did What I Had to Do: His justification of bifurcating James. It's supposed to be the only way of defeating Mask, who cannot be killed until James is.
- Logical Weakness: His bankai requires his target to be able to hear sounds, thus it will not work on the deaf.
- Musical Assassin: His Zanpakuto abilities are based around music.
- Oh, Crap!:
- When he realises he and Love are surrounded by Starrk's wolves, which he assumes are Ceroes, and discovers they're actually bombs.
- When Mask de Masculine crushes his eardrums to avoid Rose's sound-based power, Rose is shocked.
- Shout-Out: His Bankai's techniques are named after actual pieces of orchestral music.
- Slasher Smile: He shows one off while using his bankai on Mask de Masculine. It was eerily reminiscent of the ones given by Szayelaporro.
- Super Power Lottery: Rose is actually right up there with Shinji and Aizen. Rose's Bankai, Kinshara Butōdan, has the ability to generate illusions through sound. As such, so long as the target can hear Rose's music, they will fall prey to the illusions generated by his Zanpakutō. The added perk, however, is these illusions are convincing enough they the target believes they are real, and thus, cause actual, physical damage. Due to controlling sound, these illusions are unblockable unless the user is rendered deaf, which Mask exploited.
- Torso with a View: Mask de Masculine shoots his star beam through Rose's stomach.
- Whip It Good: His zanpakuto Kinshara is a whip.
- Would Hurt a Child: Rose isn't above tearing a young boy in half if it means weakening his opponent.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: His bankai uses sound to create illusions of elemental attacks. As long as the victim can hear the sound, the illusions cause actual harm.
Hachigen "Hachi" Ushoda
Hachigen "Hachi" Ushoda
"In Soul Society, there is no being with 'God' in its name other than the Soul Reapernote . That is why we cannot understand the significance of your words... Please forgive our impiety, oh God of Hueco Mundo."The largest and friendliest of the Visoreds, quite kind-hearted and subservient to the more authoritative members. He was the lieutenant of the Kidou corps, under Tessai's wing. Despite his gentle appearance and demeanor, he is an exceptionally capable and powerful combatant.
- Voiced by: Takashi Nagasako (JP), Joe Ochman (US), Guillermo Rojas (Latin-American Spanish)
- Barrier Warrior: His speciality is Bakudou (Binding Spells). He explains to Orihime that he doesn't have the mentality for battle so had to learn how to be useful in war. His barriers are his way of fighting.
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend! That should be a good enough reason to fight together."The calmest of the female Visoreds, a bit secretive, aloof and detached, but around as irritable and tomboyish as Hiyori from above. Was the ex-lieutenant of the 8th Division. She seemed to be very caring for Nanao when she was just a child.Her zanpakuto is Haguro Tonbo, a lengthy Shaolin spade.
- Voiced by: Kanako Hatori (JP), Tara Platt (US), Angélica Villa (Latin-American Spanish)
- Action Girl: She favors direct combat and is pretty self reliant.
- Bi the Way: Clearly has Ship Tease with her ex-captain, but reads about bikini-clad woman to the extent where Ichigo calls her a pervert. Then she gets REALLY defensive.
- Cool Big Sis: To Nanao, back when Lisa was Shunsui's lieutenant and Nanao was a very young child. She used to help Nanao with reading, and Nanao used to look forward to her time with Lisa.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: In the World of the Living, she favours the sailor uniform look. Her Soul Reaper uniform consisted of the kosode only, leaving her legs bare. The Kosode, when belted, acted as a sort of mini-dress that was almost shorter than her modern day mini-skirts.
- Joshikousei: She wears a sailor uniform despite not even being a student.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Openly reads pornographic Josei manga and swimsuit magazines, even sharing them with Love and, she claims, Ichigo.Lisa: I-I'm not a pervert! I-I'm just really curious!Kensei: (in the background brushing his teeth) Isn't that the definition of a pervert?
- Magic Skirt: Even when she's upside down◊ and spinning her legs around like a helicopter, we don't see anything underneath her skirt.
- Meganekko: She wears a pair of serious looking glasses, which generally fits her serious attitude.
- Ms. Fanservice: She has a thing for showing off her legs, her midriff and the curves on her back, due to the sailor uniform she struts around with a lot of the time. Even in her time as a lieutenant, she wore a miniskirt.
- Rank Up: When Kyouraku is promoted to captain-commander, the eighth division is left without a captain. The epilogue takes place ten years after the defeat of Yhwach, where it is revealed that Lisa has been promoted to Eighth Division Captain somewhere during the Time Skip.
- She's Got Legs: In both of her outfits, the sailor uniform and the shihakusho, she shows off her legs in full galore with those mid-thigh skirts.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her name is sometimes spelt as "Risa".
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Her resemblance to Nanao both in terms of looks, personality and the fact that she is Nanao's direct predecessor as Kyoraku's Lieutenant might even push her into Generation Xerox territory. She is a lot more outgoing and less uptight than Nanao. It's also very strongly implied that it's because of Lisa's fate that Kyouraku is so over-protective of Nanao.
- Tsundere: She breaks ranks with the other Visoreds to make sure her former Captain, Shunsui is okay... and after seeing he is, kicks him in the head a few times, calls him an idiot, and tells him to stay back and watch while she shows off how strong she's become.
"There isn't anyone that doesn't feel something when their buddy goes down. If they get demoralized, then you exploit that. If they get enraged then you beat them before they can go crazy. Either way... victory comes to those that strike first!"A laid-back, easy-going manga reader, somewhat carefree with a slight tough-guy feel. Was the ex-captain of the 7th Division.His zanpakuto is Tengumaru, a gargantuan spiked club capable of dealing fire-based attacks.
- Alternate Character Reading: The characters in his name mean "net" and "military", but their On'yomi (Chinese) readings are "ra" and "bu" - and love is often approximated in Japanese as "rabu", which is presumably why their pronunciation is in katakana rather than hiragana.
- Cool Shades: He almost always has a pair of large sunglasses on.
- Funny Afro: He has a big afro with five points on it.
- Honor Before Reason: He objects to Kyoraku interfering with his battle against Starrk even though he and Rose were about to be killed.
- Sunglasses at Night: He almost always has a pair of large sunglasses on.