Characters: Bleach Soul Society Dwellers
Characters that appeared in Tite Kubo's Bleach
. The various residents of the Soul Society
, from the Rukongai districts to the Seireitei
.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Ganju's older sister and owner of a house with statues of arms
on the outside. She owns a large cannon that she lets Ichigo and friends use to get past the barrier of the Seireitei. She's quick to anger and acquainted with Yoruichi.
Tropes associated with Kukaku:
- Action Girl: Mainly in the video games, but in canon, she's perfectly willing to jump into the fray against Aizen.
- Angst? What Angst?: Unlike Ganju, she never was angry at Rukia for Kaien's death, mainly because she knew the full story from Ukitake. She even punches Rukia when she keeps apologizing and tells her it's all right.
- Bandage Babe: On her right arm and forehead, among other places.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted. She lacks an arm. In the anime, she replaces it with a prosthetic one; in the manga, she has only her stump.
- Berserk Button: Leave her pipe alone!
- Bokukko: She uses the extremely masculine ore pronoun.
- Cool Big Sis: A more tomboyish example, so this is especially evident when she's calm and relaxed.
- Handicapped Badass: She lacks her right arm in the manga and wears a prosthetic in the anime.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: After Rukia apologizes to her and Ganju over the deal with their older brother, Kukaku threw a party for Rukia on the night before Ichigo and his gang left the Soul Society.
- Human Cannonball: She has a cannon specifically designed for this effect. She sent Ichigo and co. to the Sereitei this way way back in the Soul Society arc, and it's recently revealed to be the only to get to the Spirit King's palace.
- The Lad-ette: She's something of an abrasive, short-tempered drill sergeant, but even she can show a softer side, rare as it is.
- Ms. Fanservice: From the large boobs and the full legs, to the exposed back and the Panty Shot, she's certainly one of the poster women of eye candy for Bleach.
- Playing with Fire/Megaton Punch: Did this when Ichigo and Ganju broke her kiseru while fighting.
- Plucky Girl: A grown up and very tomboyish version.
- Samus is a Girl: Ichigo, Orihime, Ishida and Sado were all surprised to learn that the one bearing the name "Kuukaku" is female.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her back isn't covered by her clothes.
- Tsundere: In the end, she really loves her brother, but don't expect to hear that out loud anytime soon.
A member of the established Shiba clan. He helps Ichigo and his friends get into the Seireitei with his sister's help. Usually gets into fights with Ichigo. He is also a master of fireworks and can change the ground into sand if he wants. He grew up hating Soul Reapers and his attitude only became worse after his older brother was killed by one. He decides to accompany Ichigo because he wants to understand why his brother loved Soul Reapers so much, and eventually warms up to several of them.
Tropes associated with Ganju:
The guard to the Seireitei's western gate, a large giant. He's the older brother of Ikkanzaka Jirobo, fourth seat of Squad 7.
Voiced by: Takashi Nagosako (JP), Peter Lurie (ENG)
Byakuya Kuchiki's late beloved wife. Originally a Rukongai resident who arrived with her baby sister Rukia upon their deaths in the living world to District 78 of Southern Rukongai. She was forced to abandon said sister in order to survive, and could never forgive herself for that.
- Barefoot Poverty: Before she was married to Byakuya.
- Ill Girl: The sickness is never specified but it did end up killing her.
- The Lost Lenore: Type A. Without her, the Soul Society arc would never have unfolded the way it did as she was the root cause of the two conflicting vows that forced Byakuya to be Ichigo's main antagonist during that arc.
- My Greatest Failure: Due to having abandoned Rukia as a baby, Hisana considers herself unworthy of being Rukia's sister and insists to Byakuya that he never reveal the blood relationship to Rukia if he ever manages to find her.
- Plot-Triggering Death: One of 4 characters * whose deaths combine to shape the first 2 arcs of the story. Hisana's death was the reason Byakuya made a solemn oath to find and protect Rukia. The interaction of this promise with his earlier promise to always uphold the rule of law (prompted by the upheaval caused by his marriage to a commoner) results in Byakuya being the main antagonist for most of the Soul Society Arc and his undying loyalty to Ichigo ever since.
- Posthumous Character: She died over fifty years ago.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Although Byakuya and Hisana overcame the "love above one's station" issue when Byakuya defied his entire clan to marry her, they were only able to be married for five years before she died from an incurable illness.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Rukia was told she was adopted because of her strong resemblance to Hisana. It's only later she learns this resemblance is because she and Hisana are sisters.
- Uptown Girl: Hisana was a commoner from one of the worst Rukongai districts while Byakuya was a noble from one of the four most powerful and highly ranked noble houses in Soul Society. The social inequality between them didn't bother Byakuya and Hisana, but the Kuchiki clan was appalled. Byakuya eventually won the fight to have Hisana as his wife, but she fell sick and died five years after they were married.
Great Old One
Great Old One
Komamura's great-grandfather, who eventually teaches him the clan's secrets.
- Canis Major: He is a giant dog that even dwarfs a character as large as Komamura.
- Jerkass: The first time he ever takes great pride in Komamura is after he falls into the state of a mindless beast fuelled only by the thirst for revenge that has consumed the clan.
- Savage Wolves: He's proud of Komamura when he becomes a bloodthirsty monster.