MarzGurl (Kaylyn Dicksion Saucedo; the alias is a reference to Marvin the Martian and her gender) is one of three members of Channel Awesome who tried out for The Nostalgia Chick position. While neither she nor That Chick With The Goggles won the position, they were still kept on as entertainment for the site, with MarzGurl covering anime and anime-related news. Previously a videographer of anime conventions, MarzGurl has made several attempts and reattempts to reinvent herself, often failing, and often acknowledging her own failure. She finally seems to have found her voice with the Anime News Editorial, a serious commentary on current events in the medium, as well as with her The Land Before Time movie reviews.
She completed the web movie Farewell, FamiKamen Rider as a tribute to JewWario.
This work provides examples of:
- Author Tract: She opposes illegal scanlations and streaming of anime and would rather see those things to be available legally and for a small price. Whenever this is the topic of the ANE of the week, expect this to happen.
- Bile Fascination: Her compulsion to pick up 99 cent DVDs from bargain bins and watch them.
- Bottle Episode: The Crayon Recreations, in which MarzGurl tries to summarize a cartoon's premise by drawing pictures of the characters and making them talk. She made the first one after the breakdown of her computer prevented her from editing a typical review.
- Broken Pedestal: Learning that her friend JewWario was a sexual predator was a tragedy for her. Kaylyn released a video where she voices her thoughts on how those who knew Justin were affected, and whether all they had done in Justin's name was really worth it, if it was in the name of an awful person.
- Fangirl: In her own words, "That's Marvin, think I'm in love with him" (see also this, around 6:25).
- HA HA HA—No: "Is it good? Ha ha... no, not really."
- Hard-Work Montage: In her "A New Day" video, MarzGurl attempts to satisfy fans by completely changing her personality and appearance. We're treated to a montage of her raging with determination to do whatever it takes to be a crowd-pleaser. Whether this worked or not is subject to personal opinion.
- Large and in Charge: Whenever they need to make her imposing - the 5'8" (1.72 m) bulky frame helps.
- Limited Wardrobe: Black jumpsuit and blue sneakers. Although her last few videos have had some different outfits.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: In the Crayon Recreation of Jem, MarzGurl put no effort into the drawings of the other members of Jem and the Holograms, any Misfit bar Pizzazz, or the orphan girls. In fact, after Pizzazz introduces herself, the other Misfits exclaim that they're also in her band, but Pizzazz tells them, "Nobody cares!"
- Masochist's Meal: One of her non-review videos showed her and two friends trying a 4 Horsemen burger, made with the hottest peppers known to man. None of them finish it.
- Moral Guardians: Back when she first got started, MarzGurl made several cracks about how animation has been cleaned up and "sanitized" by concerned busybodies from the '60s on that looked like it would be a recurring "thing", but it never quite did.
- Product Placement: When Kaylyn inexplicably got a sponsorship from Manscaped to promote their line of male grooming products, she decided to enact it by responding to every troll comment with something along the lines of "You sound like someone with irritated balls, here's a discount code to go shave them".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivered a blistering one to Channel Awesome in her video addressing the JewWario revelations, since they didn't care to use the correct Jane Doe in their attempt to discredit ex-producers who criticized their handling of Justin's behavior, and their sloppy attempt at redacting Justin's name opened his victims up to online harassment. She also goes after the trolls who went after the victims and Justin's widow, even though she had no idea what he was up to.
- Retool: It took her many different attempts - while facing constant criticism from the viewers - to find her niche. Look back at her early videos and marvel at aborted series after aborted series.
- Reviews Are the Gospel: She actively attempts to avert this, even stating at the beginning of her Final Fantasy XIII review that no reviewer, herself included, should tell you how to feel about any piece of media.
- Self-Deprecation: She likes to poke fun at her acting skills, or lack thereof. In her commentary on her review of "The Last Unicorn" (her first review, the one she submitted for the Nostalgia Chick contest) she comments "Gee, I was younger back then, and thinner back then...really, everything was better back then." This doesn't stop her from mocking herself for not centering her shots of herself later in the review, either
- Sequelitis: She won the respect of quite a few viewers by actually sitting through and reviewing all 13 movies of The Land Before Time series, plus the TV show, with many commenters urging her to quit for her own safety.
- Shared Universe: For once being a Channel Awesome reviewer, participating in the anniversary videos as well as being a major character in two movies about a Channel Awesome reviewer each (Linkara and JewWario), and her numerous cameos and crossovers, Marz Gurl is definitely part of the Reviewaverse.
- Ship Tease:
- With Linkara. ("I do love you, but I love Stalin more…" and "Take comfort in my masculine arms!", among others).
- "Linking up with Linkara". The fact that it's actually a threesome with The Nostalgia Chick makes it even better. That it turns out it never happened and the two women were playing a prank on him does not.
- The third of Angry Joe's "Hotel Awesome" sketches: he tries to chat up all the women of TGWTG that have gathered for Kickassia and knocks on her door. She rushes out eagerly, but is obviously disappointed to find Joe there. So who was she expecting?
- Stating the Simple Solution: Happens in the Crayon Recreations. For example, in the video about He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983), Prince Adam tells his father that they should try invading Skeletor's lair for a change, but Adam's dad simply tells him that he has a lot to learn about being a hero.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: She pulls a wad of bills from between her breasts in "Linking up with Linkara".