Yoshida: I'm in hell.
Aitsu no Daihonmei is a Boys' Love series by Suzuki Tanaka which started out as a oneshot for a theme of Ugly Boy Romance. Its popularity has allowed it to expand to 9 volumes and it is still ongoing. The author seems to have a steady pace of one volume per year. All nine have been officially released by a Viz Media subdivision.
The main character is Yoshio Yoshida who's the local Beady-Eyed Loser. He hangs out with Fatty Akimoto and Doodle Face Makimura most of the time, but lately the school's Bishounen Satou has taken a bizarre kind of interest in using Yoshida as an excuse as to why he won't go anywhere outside school with the Estrogen Brigade, teasing him all the time, and kissing him where no one else can see.
Oh, yeah. Satou wants to date Yoshida.
Satou and Yoshida end up together almost immediately, though it does take a few chapters for Yoshida to accept it. The series is otherwise about the school antics, romantic shenanigans in which no less than 3 people ask Yoshida out, and Satou being the Center of the Universe to everyone around him even though Yoshida is the main character. The Other Wiki even believes Satou to be the main character because of this.
As the series goes on it gains more or less a plot, getting wilder backstory and breaking out of the School Romance BL genre it was in at times. It's possible the author uses new characters to break out of writer's block as they appear frequently and as needed. Many chapter plots also revolve around school holidays, events, and other things that show how popular Satou is and how while Yoshida can handle this, Satou starts getting jealous rather easily if Yoshida receives new positive attention.
Aitsu no Daihonmei contains examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: Often how new characters are introduced. note
- Affectionate Nickname: Yoshida and Toranosuke were classmates in middle school who had other classmates who shared their names, so the nicknames were necessary. However, Yoshi-Yoshi and Torachin are honestly weirdly cutesy nicknames for them to call each other given they're both in relationships with other guys, especially since there's been no mention of the other similar-named characters even going to the same school anymore.
- Backstory Horror:
- Satou's missing years that he refuses to talk about may have started out as Fridge Horror to some of the more perceptive readers, but the author later discloses a few details of what happened that transformed it into true Backstory Horror.
- The author also discloses family details that also qualify for Satou. In general Satou has had a lot of horrifying things happen to him...
- Beach Episode: Tsuyako essentially forces Satou, Yoshida, Akimoto, and Makimura into one of these except it's an entire island with no one else on it and lots of luxurious extras such as fireworks hidden up trees.
- Beady-Eyed Loser: Yoshida, especially the part about characters commenting on how ugly he is while the Fans think he's not. Though there are fans who still think Yoshida's ugly, the author comments that she's surprised that so many have said they think Yoshida's cute.
- The Beautiful Elite: Somewhat real to life in that it is set in a high school and the elite are the popular boys and girls who seem to have money.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Satou has the mask of a indulgent popular guy, but if Yoshida says something about you that makes him jealous, you'd better have a good excuse. Poor Yamanaka.
- Bishōnen: Satou is even called this canonically. He even gets Bishie Sparkles when he gets sick with a 42 degree Celsius/107.6 degrees Fahreinheit fever and doesn't even notice it.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Yoshida does it often when Satou starts going too far in his violence, or when he tries to be dramatic at Death Valley in order to intimidate Nishida.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Satou's backstory is insane in that the Fat Camp he was sent to as a kid seems to have been some sort of ongoing experiment with the human genome and the limits of human strength. All the people in the camp are shown to be extremely attractive after a few years there, and can fight tigers, huge snakes, and cheetahs with their bare hands.
- Disguised in Drag: Murakami when he tries to get Yoshida date him so he won't have time for Satou.
- Easy Amnesia: In one of the more recent chapters, losing and regaining your memory is as easy as slipping on one of the many mysterious banana peels scattered around campus. Satou, being who he is, tries to have fun with this. He quickly regrets and fixes it though, simply because Yoshida not remembering him is too painful. When you remember that Yoshida has forgotten Satou before...
- Forgotten First Meeting: Yoshida forgot that he used to know Satou in elementary, due to the fact Satou went away for Fat Camp and came back after he slimmed down and went through a growth spurt.
- Genre Shift: Starts off as a school romance BL, transforms into a comedy series with established romance, and the flashbacks hint at an entirely different type of story.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming:
- Averted. Satou does not assist in more common bullying such as the girls at their school calling Yoshida names or cornering him when Satou uses him as an excuse. However this is probably because that is one of Satou's controlled forms of teasing and he knows how to casually fix things if the girls go too far.
- Played straight when Satou knows Tsuyako wants Yoshida to be the M to her S. She quickly backs off when she realizes Yoshida is his.
- Insult of Endearment: Satou insults Yoshida a lot, including calling him a Kappa or just generally insulting his face.
- Pair the Spares: Just about everyone except Makimura of the main cast and even the side cast started to do this a couple volumes in.
- Sadist: Satou is often labeled this canonically because he teases Yoshida mercilessly and sets up situations that make Yoshida uncomfortable just to see his 'cute' face. He's gone so far as to let the girls in school bully him unhindered and feeds him chocolate filled with hot peppers. It's later revealed Satou is looking very specifically for someone who is not willing to do whatever humiliating thing he asks just because of his looks and charm. Of course Yoshida is exactly what he's looking for.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Akimoto to his uber cute next door neighbor Yoko. Yoko makes it no secret that she is his girlfriend, and seems annoyed when he denies it.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Murakami, without any doubts. He believes himself to be the Prettiest, to the point of being the Narcissist.
- Yandere: Satou is a mild example, as are many of those associated with him. Just look at what happened to Yamanaka when he was caught trying to corner and kiss Yoshida. Satou wanted to strangle him to death, only stopping because Yoshida asked him to! And there are rumors that are going around that have made Yamanaka fall from second most wanted man to outcast with only Torachin as his companion. Satou is heavily implied to have started 'every single one of them'. Satou will still punch him in the face if he sees him just out of principle.