It is sad to think that sooner or l—
Ater Those you love will do the same for you,
And you may have thought it tragic
Not to mention other adjec—
Tives, to think of all the weeping they will do
Tropes dealing with funerals and all ritualized commemoration of the dead.
See also Funerals
- 21-Gun Salute
- Ancient Tomb
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: No one liked the person who has died, so everyone's glad he has kicked the bucket.
- Ashes to Crashes
- Attending Your Own Funeral: Someone attends their own funeral because their death is mistaken.
- Burial at Sea
- Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie: Someone has difficulty honoring the deceased's last wishes.
- Burying a Substitute: The deceased left no mortal remains, or their body was never found, so their loved ones bury something which symbolises them instead.
- Clown-Car Grave
- Coins for the Dead
- Coffin Contraband
- Cramming the Coffin
- Creepy Mortician: Morticians portrayed as being disturbing or strange.
- Dateless Grave: A gravestone shows the deceased's name, but not their dates of birth and death.
- Dead Guy on Display
- The Dead Have Names: Naming deceased people to show their significance.
- Dig Your Own Grave
- Dishonored Dead: The deceased committed a crime which is considered so terrible that they do not deserve a proper funeral.
- Due to the Dead: Burying the dead is considered honorable while desecrating the remains is considered disgraceful.
- Elephant Graveyard
- Ending Memorial Service
- Excessive Mourning: A bereaved character spends all their time grieving for the deceased and is unable, or unwilling, to move on.
- Freaky Funeral Forms
- Fun in the Funeral
- The "Fun" in "Funeral": Wacky antics happen at a funeral.
- Grave Clouds
- Grave Humor: Humorous writing on tombstones.
- Grave-Marking Scene
- Instant Gravestone: When a person dies, they turn into a tombstone on the spot.
- It Always Rains at Funerals
- It's Always Sunny at Funerals
- Last Disrespects: A funeral service where the people attending aren't very respectful towards the deceased.
- Libation for the Dead: Pouring a drink onto the ground to honor the dead.
- Lonely Funeral
- Meaningful Funeral
- Memorial Statue
- Missing Man Formation
- Peaceful in Death
- The Poppy
- Shrine to the Fallen: A shrine set up in memory of the deceased.
- Starts with Their Funeral: The story begins with a character's funeral before explaining how the person died.
- Supernaturally Marked Grave
- Talking to the Dead
- Three-Volley Flinch
- To Absent Friends: Proposing a toast dedicated to those who have died.
- Viking Funeral: A dead person has their body and their possessions cast away in a boat that is set on fire.
- War Memorial
- Weapon Tombstone: A grave is marked by a weapon stuck into the ground.
- Widow's Weeds