Troma's B-Movie productions are known for being surrealistic and never too serious. They're almost always shock exploitation films, usually mixed with comedy and romance and the occasional musical number. Sex, graphic violence, gore and nudity are par for the course.
Troma's slogan is "Movies of the Future." The films often use the same props, actors, and scenes over and over again, sometimes to save money. At a certain point, this became a hallmark of Troma. Examples include a severed leg, the Penis Monster, and the flipping/exploding car filmed for the movie Sgt. Kabukiman, NYPD, which, though blue, is used in place of any other car that needs to crash and explode.
Not all Troma films are in English: one of the most well-loved Troma films, for example, is a German-language adaptation of the (insanely popular) German comic book series Kondom des Grauens (Killer Condom).
Troma produced or acquired many early films featuring several rising talents, such as Vanna White (Graduation Day), Kevin Costner (Sizzle Beach, U.S.A.), Samuel L. Jackson (Def by Temptation), Marisa Tomei (The Toxic Avenger), Vincent D'Onofrio (The First Turn-On!), David Boreanaz (Macabre Pair of Shorts), James Gunn (Tromeo and Juliet), Trey Parker and Matt Stone (Cannibal! The Musical), before they were discovered. While most of these actors were discovered by other means, Stanley Kubrick actually saw D'Onofrio's performance in The First Turn-On, which launched his career. Lloyd Kaufman has mentioned that Kubrick gave him a call to thank him.
Troma also occasionally distributes films that were produced by other studios.
Notable Troma Productions Include: (listed chronologically)
- Bloodsucking Freaks
- Mad Dog Morgan (distributed only)
- Mother's Day
- Graduation Day
- My Dinner with Andre (no, really. Troma provided production while co-founder Kaufman edited the film)
- Frightmare (1983) (distributed only)
- The Toxic Avenger series (with the title character being the company's mascot)
- Monster in the Closet
- Class of Nuke 'Em High series
- Bride of Re-Animator (distributed only through the 50th Street Films banner)
- Combat Shock
- Surf Nazis Must Die (distribution only)
- My Neighbor Totoro (really; distributed only through the 50th Street Films banner, but really)
- Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.
- Troma's War
- Beware! Children at Play
- Def By Temptation
- Wizards of the Demon Sword (distributed only)
- Cannibal! The Musical (distributed only)
- Frostbiter: Wrath of the Wendigo (distributed only)
- Tromeo and Juliet
- Killer Condom
- Rabid Grannies
- Fag Hag
- Terror Firmer
- Yeti: A Love Story
- Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
- Blood Junkie (distributed only)
- Father's Day (2011)
- Pro Wrestlers vs. Zombies (distributed only)
- Jesus, Bro! (distributed only)
- Another Cinema Snob Movie (distributed only)
- Sanguisugabogg (music videos for "Menstrual Envy" and "Gored in the Chest")