After being fired from a space agency, a Mad Scientist decides to unleash a race of atomic zombies upon humanity. After unleashing the fiends, they start massacring everybody they see. Soon, the CIA get involved, and a struggle for the fate of humanity begins...
The film received three sequels, 2004's Mark of the Astro-Zombies, 2010's Astro-Zombies M3: Cloned and 2012's Astro-Zombies M4: Invaders from Cyberspace.
This film contains examples of:
- Antagonist Title: Named after the Mooks of the piece.
- Big Bad: Dr. DeMarco, creator of the Astro Zombies.
- Darkness = Death: The Astro Zombies shut down when it's dark, due to a lack of solar energy.
- Fanservice: A random stripper sequence a half hour in.
- Our Zombies Are Different: These are solar-powered cyborgs that can have knowledge directly veaned into their brains by computers.
- Villain Opening Scene: An Astro Zombie killing a woman in her garage.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: DeMarco leads an operation of mutilation murder and human experimentation so that humanity can have a single storehouse for all its knowledge to be used to improve the world.