Patrick Philippe Tatopoulos (born in Paris in 1958) is a French-American production designer, art director, special effects artist and film director of French and Greek descent.
He has worked on a number of high profile Fantasy and Science Fiction blockbusters in Hollywood since the early 1990s, specializing on alien/monster designs, and made his directing debut with Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.
- Super Mario Bros. (1992)
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
- Stargate (1995)
- Independence Day (1996)
- Godzilla (1998)
- Dark City (1998)
- The Patriot (2000)
- Stuart Little (2000)
- The Chronicles of Riddick:
- Underworld series
- I, Robot (2004)
- Silent Hill (2006)
- 300 (2007)
- Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
- Solomon Kane (2009)
- Total Recall (2012)
- DC Extended Universe:
- Snow Steam Iron (2017)
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)
- Untitled Transformers film (TBA)
Tropes & Trivia in his works:
- The Cameo: He is one of the extras in The Patriot.
- The Greys: The aliens he designed for Independence Day are among the most famous examples of the trope on film.
- Production Posse: He has worked multiple times with several directors such as Roland Emmerich, David Twohy, Alex Proyas and Zack Snyder.
- Tuckerization: Nick Tatopoulos, the main human character played by Matthew Broderick in the 1998 Godzilla film, is named after him.