Michael B. "Mike" Pollock (born March 9, 1965 in Roslyn Heights, New York), sometimes credited as Herb Lawrence, is an American voice actor based in New York, where his distinctive voice makes him instantly recognizable. He has appeared as the narrator for 4Kids shows like Pokémon and some promos on the original Fox Box and 4Kids TV. He is also well-known as the current voice actor for Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik in the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
He is known for being genial and open with his fans. While the majority of the 4Kids Sonic cast is fairly secluded, Mike Pollock has conducted a number of interviews for those who have approached him. It is likely helpful to his friendly nature that he has avoided much of the backlash his colleagues, such as Jason Griffith, have received.note
As of 2010, the majority of the Sonic the Hedgehog voice cast was replaced, with the sole exception of Mike, as Sega felt that none of the other auditions could match his impression of Eggman.
His roles include:
- Astonishing X-Men - Beast (Motion Comic "Gifted" arc)
- Berserk (1997) / Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - Adon Coborlwitz
- Dinosaur King - Helga and Dr. Drake (taking over the deceased Maddie Blaustein) as well as guest-characters Tokugawa Ieyasu and Dumas
- Fighting Foodons - Hot Doggone-It
- GaoGaiGar - Polonaise
- Huntik: Secrets & Seekers - The Professor
- Mazinger Z: Infinity - Dr. Hell
- Pokémon: The Series - The Narrator (Seasons 6-8), Raoul Contesta, Charon
- Pokémon: I Choose You! - Bonji
- Promare - Deus Prometh
- Ratatoing - Greg & Narrator
- Smeshariki - Bigoriki
- Smite - Kuzenbo, King Kappa
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik and Prof. Gerald Robotnik in Sonic X. Later on, he took on both roles for the video games themselves. He's also the only Sonic voice actor to have his contract renewed, thus making him the only 4Kids voice actor still working in the Sonic games, despite the dubbing of the games being moved to the L.A-based Studiopolis since 2010.
- Sonic Boom - Mayor Fink, Fastidious Beaver.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) - Kirby King and The Garbageman
- Ultimate Muscle - Meat
- Unavowed - Stan Bates
- Whispers of a Machine - Commissary Andersson
- Yu-Gi-Oh! - Professor Arthur Hawkings and Gurimo
- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Jean Louis Bonaparte
Tropes associated with Mike Pollock:
- Creator's Favorite: His favorite video game (being one he worked on) is Sonic Colors.
- Disney Owns This Trope: Mike has stated that Sega owns the rights to his Eggman voice, hence why he's not allowed to use it for fan projects or any other role.
- Flip-Flop of God: He states that his Eggman voice can't be used in any fan projects for legal reasons but Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 which, despite SEGA's marketing team promoting it, is an entirely independent fan project (but started as an Official Parody). He also reprised his role in the fan-made radio show Sonic and Tails R, although so did virtually every other pre-Studiopolis Sonic voice actor.
- I Am Not Spock: Downplayed. While Mike loves his role as Eggman, he has repeatedly expressed irritation at how little attention his other work receives, and is constantly having to remind users on Twitter that they're not talking to Eggman, just the actor who plays him.
- Why Fandom Can't Have Nice Things: After he was hornswoggled into saying the infamous "Snooping as usual" line from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (infamous because Long John Baldry's infliction of the line made it sound like "Pingas") and nearly got fired from the role of Eggman as a result, he announced that he wouldn't do vocal requests anymore. He eventually lightened up on it, but added some rules to future requests.note He later said the line in a Sonic Boom episode, though he didn't put the same vocal infliction on the "PINGAS" part. In terms of fan projects, Mike shot down vocal requests to say Eggman's infamous "announcement" from the Real Time Fan Dub of Sonic Adventure 2, which is even more justified as all but one sentence of the spiel is overladen with vulgarities, and considering that Sonic is a family-friendly franchise it would have done his career in immediately.