Michael B. "Mike" Pollock (born March 9, 1965 in Roslyn Heights, New York), sometimes credited as Herb Lawrence, is an American voice actor based in New York, where his distinctive voice makes him instantly recognizable. He has appeared as the narrator for 4Kids shows like Pokémon and some promos on the original Fox Box and 4Kids TV. He is also well-known as the current voice actor for Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik in the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
He is known for being genial and open with his fans. While the majority of the 4Kids Sonic cast is fairly secluded, Mike Pollock has conducted a number of interviews for those who have approached him. It is likely helpful to his friendly nature that he has avoided much of the backlash his colleagues, such as Jason Griffith, have received.note
As of 2010, the majority of the Sonic the Hedgehog voice cast was replaced, with the sole exception of Mike, as Sega felt that none of the other auditions could match his impression of Eggman.
His roles include:
- Meat in Ultimate Muscle
- Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik and Prof. Gerald Robotnik in Sonic X. Later on, he took on both roles for the video games themselves. He's also the only Sonic voice actor to have his contract renewed, thus making him the only 4Kids voice actor still working in the Sonic games, despite the dubbing of the games being moved to the L.A-based Studiopolis since 2010.
- He also takes on the roles of both Mayor Fink and Fastidious Beaver in the Sonic Boom sub-series.
- Dr. Hell in Mazinger Z: Infinity.
- The Professor in Huntik
- Gun toting literal hotdog cowboy Hot Doggone-It from Fighting Foodons
- Adon Coborlwitz in Berserk (1997) and Berserk: The Golden Age Arc
- The Narrator (Seasons 6-8; filling in for Rodger Parsons), Raoul Contesta, Charon, and several other minor characters in Pokémon.
- Bonji in Pokémon: I Choose You!.
- Helga and Dr. Drake in Dinosaur King (taking over the deceased Maddie Blaustein) as well as guest-characters Tokugawa Ieyasu and Dumas
- Beast in the motion comic adaptation of Astonishing X-Men's "Gifted" arc
- Bigoriki in Smeshariki
- Greg and the narrator in Ratatoing
- Jean-Louis Bonaparte in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
- Kirby King and The Garbageman in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)
- Professor Arthur Hawkins and Gurimo in Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Kuzenbo, King Kappa in Smite
- Stan Bates in Unavowed
- Commissary Andersson in Whispers of a Machine
- Deus Prometh in Promare
Tropes associated with Mike Pollock:
- Disney Owns This Trope: Mike has stated that Sega owns the rights to his Eggman voice, hence why he's not allowed to use it for fan projects or any other role.
- Flip-Flop of God: He states that his Eggman voice can't be used in any fan projects for legal reasons but Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 which, despite SEGA's marketing team promoting it, is an entirely independent fan project (but started as an Official Parody).
- Why Fandom Can't Have Nice Things: After he was hornswoggled into saying the infamous "Snooping as usual" line from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (infamous because Long John Baldry's infliction of the line made it sound like "Pingas") and nearly got fired from the role of Eggman as a result, he announced that he wouldn't do vocal requests anymore. He eventually lightened up on it, but added some rules to future requests.note He later said the line in a Sonic Boom episode, though he didn't put the same vocal infliction on the "PINGAS" part. In terms of fan projects, Mike shot down vocal requests to say Eggman's infamous "announcement" from the Real Time Fan Dub of Sonic Adventure 2, which is even more justified as all but one sentence of the spiel is overladen with vulgarities, and considering that Sonic is a family-friendly franchise it would have done his career in immediately.