If you need proof of her talent, just look at how varied her roles just within Valkyrie Profile are; being a transgender woman (though, unlike most trans people, Maddie was actually born intersexnote and was assigned male at birth before transitioning to a woman) allowed her to voice a wide range of characters from all genders (though Maddie specialized in voicing men who were tough, sarcastic, or cowardly). You could have a show with her as the only voice actor, and no one would notice.
She was also Creative Director for the Weekly World News and was herself a former writer and editor for Marvel Comics before moving to DC Comics, and later Milestone Comics, the latter of which saw her writing for flagship titles Static, Hardware, and the latter's spinoff miniseries Deathwish, which is famous for featuring one of comic's first mainstream trans heroes in Marisa Rahm. She was also a content creator for Second Life under the name Kendra Bancroft. Translator and localization director Jeremy Blaustein is her brother.
On December 11, 2008, Blaustein died in her sleep from an untreated stomach virus she had a couple weeks prior. She was only 48 years old.
Roles by Maddie Blaustein:
- Arngrim, Barbarossa, Lezard Valeth, and Lawfer in the 1st Valkyrie Profile game (Liam O'Brien replaced her as Valeth in the 2nd game)
- The Burnt Meatballs in Fighting Foodons
- Chef Kawasaki in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
- Grizzlepuss in Vídeo Brinquedo's Kung Fu Panda knockoff, The Little Panda Fighter
- Helga, Mr. Drake, and Spectre in Dinosaur King. Upon her death, Mike Pollock took over the first two roles, while Sean Schemmel took over the third.
- Jillas in Slayers
- Dr. K in Cubix: Robots for Everyone. Led to an Actor Allusion in One Piece.
- Dr. Kureha on One Piece
- Li Zhuzhen in Shadow Hearts
- Meowth and other minor roles in Pokémon
- Chatot in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Darkness special
- The President in Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rassimov in Huntik: Secrets & Seekers
- Sister Jill in the 2004 Cutey Honey movie
- Solomon Muto on Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Wally Tusket and Warsman from Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy
- Author Existence Failure: Sadly, she didn't live to see the completion of Dinosaur King. Other voice actors would take over her characters for the remainder of the show's run.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: She had quite the range in her lifetime, from Meowth to Omega to many others. It'd be very difficult to tell it even is the same person!