A kind-hearted knight who once served a great kingdom. Known for his compassionate spirit and bravery. Sigurd has a tendency to want to help anyone whos in trouble, even on occasions where it would be foolish or reckless to do so. His heroic nature and boyish charm make him easy to get along with (not to mention popular with women) but these same qualities also result in a naïve outlook on life and a black and white view of good and evil.
- And I Must Scream: The Dark Sigurd bad ending has him keeping his friends souls dormant so that theyll never leave Turovero and reach Heaven.
- Beneath the Mask: While he seems like a mature and competent leader, he's actually considered the most naive and innocent too. In his Dark One route he wants to keep his friends in Turovero forever so they'll be protected from the Awful Truth.
- Big Brother Mentor: The eldest member and the leader of the group.
- Bishounen: He's often stated to have very good looks. His past self Ryan had a rather gaunt and sickly appearance in comparison and created Sigurd as an idealized version of himself.
- Black and White Morality: Sigurd is somewhat naive when it comes to ideas of good and evil; he sees himself and his team as automatically good and the monsters of the tower as automatically evil. In his Dark One route, this devolves into Black and White Insanity.
- Chick Magnet: Just ask the nagas.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Sigurd is associated with the color yellow.
- Dissonant Serenity: When he snaps, he acts as calmly when antagonistic towards his friends (compared to them, who are more emotional in their respective Dark One routes).
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Averted in his Dark One route, obviously.
- Incurable Cough of Death: The more he recovers his memories, the more he starts to cough and feel ill, despite being the most physically fit of the group. This foreshadows his past life as an Ill Boy.
- Indifferent Beauty: He's very popular with girls, but he's not interested in romance, causing Ruby to frequently tease him over this.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Sigurd may be skilled at combat, but restraint sure ain't one of his strong suits.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ruby, they take shots at each other. He also becomes this with Edric when theyre trapped in the Rose Garden.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: He has very idealistic views of justice and wants to save the world from evil by entering Turovero. In most of the routes, this idealism is tempered, but not lost entirely, when he realizes that the "evil" within Turovero is the result of despair and anguish, and that the Dark One is not simply some Big Bad to be defeated. Unless you're aiming for the Dark Sigurd route, where he instead forms a misguided plan to save his friends from pain and suffering and begins suffering from a bad case of Motive Decay until he realizes his ideals are nothing but smoke.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Sigurd becomes this in his Dark One route, determined to "save" his friends from pain and suffering by any means necessary. He is the only Dark One who truly believes they are doing to right thing.
A thief with a heart of gold; although she doesnt know how she learned her trade or what sorts of nefarious activities she was a part of, shes resolved to use her thieving skills for good by thwarting other bandits raids and reclaiming stolen goods for their original owners. She has a very bold and plucky attitude but this same enthusiasm, however, often gets her into trouble, as she has a tendency to head into dangerous situations unprepared. Shes most well known for her salacious tavern hijinks, but she is also a skilled cook, often treating the group to warm, hearty meals on their travels.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Ax-Crazy: Ruby goes absolutely nuts in her Dark One route, cackling maniacally and threatening to kill her friends. It was all a ruse so they would kill her, as she feels she deserves to be punished for murdering her friends in their past lives.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Although she's known for flirting with women, making dirty jokes, and getting involved with her friends' love lives, her intentions are almost always benign.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Ruby is associated with the color red.
- Cuteness Proximity: The moment she sees Francis, she starts gushing about how cute he is.
- Deadpan Snarker: Most of the comedy is from her snarking at somebody or at the situation.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: A running gag in the game is Ruby (or another character if she is unavailable) joking about drinking whenever the party finds Liquid Courage in a dungeon; however, she says this nearly word-for-word on the seventh floor, after already witnessing her friend's betrayal, learning about her past life, and witnessing said friend's madness manifest into the form of The Chapel. Amitiel is surprisingly understanding of this.
- Genki Girl: Ruby is very energetic and carefree.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her moments of sarcasm, she is willing to help others in need whenever necessary.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Because she's so impulsive and hard-headed, she tends to fall into utterly dumb, anybody-could-have-seen-it traps.
- The Matchmaker: Is constantly trying to get Edric and Leilia together, either by egging Edric on about his crush or trying (and failing) to drop hints at Leilia. A conversation she can have with Edric on the final floor reveals that she does this because she's a self-described "hopeless romantic", who wanted them to have the kind of romance she never could in her past life.
- Ret Gone: She does this to herself in the bad ending of the Dark Ruby route, erasing herself (and her past self) from her friends lives so they wont hesitate to kill her next time she encounters them.
- Supreme Chef: Ruby is known for her cooking talent, and is shown making potato stew for the party during the Frozen Chamber section. In her past life, as Myra Arazi, she enjoyed cooking curries and dishes from her home country, such as falafels.
- Sticky Fingers: Fitting of her status as a thief.
An Elven druid who does not remember her tribe or who she was before meeting the other heroes; the only thing she does remember is her connection with the spirits of nature, giving her an ability to use healing and earth-based magic. She has a warm, motherly air about her, which is exemplified by the way she dotes on (sometimes to the point of coddling) her companions. But while she is a mother hen in the truest sense, she is also a mother bear, who can become fiercely protective even possessive of her friends under the right circumstances.
- And I Must Scream: The Dark Leilia bad ending has her keeping her friends trapped in Turovero so that theyll never reach Heaven and abandon her. At least she kept them conscious unlike Sigurd.
- Berserker Tears: In her Dark One route, when she tries to keep her friends with her forever in Turovero.
- The Chick
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Leilia is associated with the color green.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: She has poor self-esteem regarding her powers, considering herself to be The Load for the group.
- Green Thumb: Has the ability to accelerate the growth of plant life.
- Nice Girl: Shes an absolute sweetheart.
- Oblivious to Love: She has no idea that Edric has feelings for her, even suspecting that the reason he clams up around her is because he is angry at her for some reason. In Dark Edric's route, she suspects she didn't notice because she felt that she never could be loved after destroying her family in her past life.
- Please Don't Leave Me: During the Dark Leilia route she begs the rest of the group not to leave her behind as she cant bear the thought of being alone. She would go so far as to trap her friends inside Turovero to stay with them.
- Pointy Ears: She is a forest elf, after all.
- Team Mom: Plays this role with the group. Mortia takes advantage of this by posing as a little girl in order to manipulate her.
- White Magician Girl: She is a healer, Edrics Love Interest and has motherly tendencies.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Or rather, "Why Did It Have To Be Fire?", as she's utterly terrified of fire due to how her past life accidentally caused the death of her parents and younger brother.
A talented mage with a sharp mind and an even sharper tongue. His worldly and academic knowledge is vast, although to his frustration it does not help him remember who he was in his past. Seemingly surly and sarcastic, he often has disparaging things to say about the people around him; however, deep down, he cares greatly for his friends. He has feelings for Leilia, as he has a tendency to get tongue-tied around her. He can usually be found with his nose in a book or taking sketches and notes of the creatures seen on the groups travels.
- Black Mage: Specializes in offensive magic.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Has a crush on Leilia, but sucks at admitting it, let alone expressing how he feels.
- Captain Obvious: Though it's more about him being a smartass towards the situation.
- Cloud Cuckoolanders Minder: Towards Sigurd when theyre trapped in the Rose Garden.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Edric is associated with the color blue.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has a sharp and sarcastic tongue.
- Insecure Love Interest: Poor Edric has issues with just everything about himself, which makes him think its impossible hell have a chance with Leilia. This ends up having disastrous consequences in the Dark Edric route, when he becomes dangerously obsessed with becoming good enough for her.
- Kill It with Fire: Has the ability to use fire spells to burn things.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: He subjects this to everyone in the bad ending of the Dark Edric route, making them forget about their experiences at Turovero and convincing them to not enter the tower.
- Love Confession: Depending on the route and player choices, Edric may confess his feelings for Leilia during a campfire conversation on the final floor (on Sigurd and Ruby's routes), just before the second-to-last boss battle (on Leilia's route), or during his own reveal as the Dark One (on Edric's route).
- Official Couple: He has the chance to become this with Leilia by the end of the game, if they interact enough times. If one of them becomes the Dark One, they'll became Star-Crossed Lovers instead.
- Only Sane Man: In his eyes, at least.
- The Perfectionist: Despite being described as intellectually gifted, Edric has extremely poor self-esteem, which results in his obsession with becoming "perfect" for Leilia in his Dark One route. Amitiel directly criticizes his goals, stating that he will never be able to live up to the impossible standards he's placed upon himself.
- Perpetual Frowner: Rarely seen smiling.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Wears a traditional floppy wizard's hat and a shoulder cape, which is described as a uniform from a renouned magical university.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: During his trial on the tower's final floor, Edric finally tells off the image of his abusive mother as she attempts to mock him. In order to proceed, the player must use Ember on the image and burn it away for good.
- Tsundere: Becomes easily irritated and flustered around Leilia even though its obvious that hes in love with her. Its understandable because of the way his abusive mother treated him in his past life as Peter that left him with great difficulty at expressing himself honestly.
- Yandere: Becomes one during his Dark One route, when he becomes obsessed with Leilia and becoming "perfect" for her. Many of the puzzles and motifs in his version of The Chapel reflect this, including what appears to be a wedding scene in the main chamber.
Spoiler Characters (Spoilers will be unmarked)
Sigurds past self. A naïve and idealistic young man who was a survivor of a rare bone cancer. Depending on the route, he was either murdered by one of his friends or committed suicide after poisoning his friends due to deluding himself that he was saving them after he found out that his days were numbered due to his cancer returning.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossed it after finding out that his cancer had returned. So he decided to kill himself and his friends in order to spare them from the pain of living.
- Dream-Crushing Handicap: Inspecting Ryan's room during the Dark Sigurd route reveals that he may have wanted to pursue a firefighting, law enforcement, or some other type of "heroic" career prior to becoming ill.
- Hypocrite: In the Dark Sigurd route he poisoned his friends in order to spare them from the pain of living yet he bludgeons Myra when she calls him out how self-centered and selfish his reasons are.
- Ill Boy: He had Ewing Sarcoma, a rare bone cancer which manifested in his ribcage. Part of the reason his condition became so dire was the fact that it almost never presents in males, making it difficult to diagnose.
- "I Know You Are in There Somewhere" Fight: Attempts this on Myra in the Dark Ruby route in order to calm her down from her psychotic break, even keeping his cool after she already killed Peter and Melissa. It doesnt work.
- Kick the Dog: He had the gall to tell Melissa about Peters feelings for her right after hes been killed by him and shes about to die via poisoning.
- Never My Fault: In the Dark Sigurd route, he lapsed into this, believing that he had to kill his friends in order to spare them from the pain of living, when he was just desperate after finding out his days were numbered. Even after their deaths, he prefers to keep them in Turovero rather than ascend to heaven, under the believe that hes protecting them. He finally snaps out of this at the end.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: Has a gaunt and sickly appearance as a result of his illness.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: In the Dark Edric route he and Myra tried to make Peter confess his feelings for Melissa, only to be rejected. This results in Peter accidentally shooting Melissa and then killing Ryan and Myra in a fit of rage.
- Posthumous Character
- Your Days Are Numbered
Rubys past self. A brash and outgoing young woman who had trust issues because her family was constantly in danger due to an incident with a group of arms dealers in their country (which resulted in the death of her mother). Depending on the route, she was either murdered by one of her friends or committed suicide after succumbing to paranoia and killing her friends based on imagined accusations due to her father committing suicide.
- Ambiguously Brown: Shes from North Africa.
- Defiant to the End: In the routes in which shes killed by her friends.
- Despair Event Horizon: In the Dark Ruby route she becomes downright paranoid when her father commits suicide. After a psychotic break, she begins to blame her friends for his death, which ultimately leads to her killing them.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Shes rarely called by her full name, Humairah.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After finding out her friends had nothing to do with her fathers death. Too bad she killed them a few minutes ago.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: In the Dark Edric route she and Ryan tried to make Peter confess his feelings for Melissa, only to be rejected. This results in Peter accidentally shooting Melissa and then killing Ryan and Myra in a fit of rage.
- Otaku: Myra is a self-proclaimed "weeb" with a collection of anime figurines and posters depicting her "waifus", which are all on full display when you explore her room during the Dark Ruby route.
- Posthumous Character
- What the Hell, Hero?: When shes about to be killed by her friends in their respective routes, she calls them out for how selfish their reasons are.
Leilias past self. A kind and soft-spoken young woman who had a phobia of fire due to an accident in her childhood in which all her family died but her. Depending on the route, she was either murdered by one of her friends or committed suicide after burning herself and her friends alive when her survivors guilt became too much for her to handle.
- The Atoner: Decides to atone for the death of her family by setting herself on fire, just like how they died. Problem is, she's scared of dying alone and drags her friends with her.
- Broken Bird: All the others have shades of this, but shes the biggest example.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossed it after her grandmother drunkenly called her out for "murdering" her family, which caused Melissa to believe she needed to atone by committing suicide.
- Hates Being Alone: So much that she decided to drag her friends with her to commit suicide, out of fear of dying alone.
- It's Not You, It's Me: In the Dark Edrics route, she rejected Peters love confession, despite loving him back, because she was too plagued by the demons of her past to properly reciprocate.
- Girly Girl: Wears dresses and likes gardening, tea and pastries.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: The reason she accidentally started the fire that claimed her parents and brother was due to a failed attempt to cook breakfast for her family.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents died in a fire.
- Posthumous Character
- Survivor's Guilt: Melissa suffered from this all of her life due to accidentally killing her parents and younger brother in a fire. It gets worse after her grandmother drunkenly calls her out on this.
- Turn to Religion: Melissa is a devout Christian, and it is implied that her church's reverend and her faith in general helped her cope after losing her family.
Edrics past self. A quiet and sarcastic young man who suffered depression and anxiety because of his mothers abuse. Depending on the route, he was either murdered by one of his friends or committed suicide after accidentally shooting Melissa and killing Ryan and Myra in a fit of rage.
- Abusive Parents: His mother was a verbally abusive alcoholic who often called him "worthless", leading to a host of mental health and self-esteem issues, including depression. His father eventually divorced her and tried his best to help him, but the damage to Peter was already done.
- Asian and Nerdy: Peter's father is Korean and his mother is white, so technically half-Asian.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He fell in love with Melissa after she consoled and supported him after his mothers death.
- Cannot Spit It Out: For all his snarky quips and sarcasm, hes too insecure to tell Melissa how he feels about her.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossed it after being rejected by Melissa, believing she doesnt love him because hes worthless and that his mother was right.
- Interrupted Suicide: Tries to kill himself, only for Melissa to arrive and getting accidentally killed in the ensuing struggle. He ends up shooting himself anyway.
- I Will Wait for You: Tells this to Melissa word for word after shes unable to ascend to Heaven in the end of the Dark Leilia route.
- Not Good with Rejection: ...Or else hell become depressed, cross the Despair Event Horizon and try to kill himself.
- Oh, Crap!: Has this reaction in the Dark Sigurd route after realizing the Ryan is planning on poisoning them all. Too bad hes the first to kick the bucket.
- Posthumous Character
- There Are No Therapists: Averted with Peter, who was actively getting psychiatric treatment for his depression at the time of his death. The player can even read his doctor's notes on him during the final part of the Dark Edric route.