open/close all folders
Teachers and Assistants
A common rock pigeon who is an expert at making courses.
- Berserk Button: Never misspell his name.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": He wears Mario's red "M" on his crest.
- Insistent Terminology: What makers create are courses, not levels.
- Talking Animal: Yamamura speaks in "coo"s, which are translated in paranthesis.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Edamame beans in Japanese and American English, though the British version changes it to fried chicken. In 2, it's revealed that he likes both equally.
Yamamura's apprentice in the first game.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: She doesn't show up in 2, where Nina fills her role in the tutorials.
- Dub Name Change: Originally named Mashiko in Japanese (which is also her name in the British release), and is named Yeja in Korean.
- Office Lady: Has the proper bun and work attire of one, though the most we see of her office is in the course "Mary O.'s Lunch Break."
- Punny Name: Her American name sounds like a common mispronunciation of Mario (May-rio).
- Token Human: Serves as this for the main game.
Yamamura's apprentice in Super Mario Maker 2, seemingly less experienced than Mary O.
- Angrish: When she falls into a bottomless pit from hitting an invisible block, she lets Yamamura know exactly what she thinks of his cheap tricks.Nina: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHABRHGAAH!
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: She is easily distracted by coins, and on one occasion goes into a coin-collecting trance when presented with enough of them.
- Expressive Hair: The little strands of hair poking up atop her head will sometimes change shape to accentuate her mood, such as forming a question mark shape when she's pondering something.
- Idiot Hair: She has two strands of hair sticking up from the center of her head.
- Literal-Minded: Yamamura asks what purpose a random Goomba serves in her level. Nina tries to give it a backstory before Yamamura specifies what he means.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Nina has the same role as Mary O., being Yamamura's apprentice.
HelpersCharacters that represent functions of the game's Course Builder mode.
- Ascended Extra: While all of them were present in the first game, Super Mario Maker 2 greatly increases their roles in its story mode.
Originally serving as the undo icon in Mario Paint, this dog is here to help the player undo their last action. He has a more prominent role in Super Mario Maker 2's story mode, where his fumbling with a Reset Rocket is what kicks off the plot.
The robot that controls courses.
A suspicious eraser in charge of getting rid of the player's mistakes. In Super Mario Maker 2, he pays Mario to get rid of his.
- Animate Inanimate Object: He's a walking, talking eraser.
- Expy: Serves as this for the "E" eraser in Mario Paint.
- Meaningful Name: While the obvious function is there, his gangster qualities in SMM2 gives his "erasing" capabilities a more sinister meaning.
- Neighbourhood-Friendly Gangsters: His missions in SMM2 involve taking out "Targets" on his behalf.
A frog who lets makers add sound effects to levels.
- People in Rubber Suits: Has a clearly visible zipper on his back, even in 8-bit form in the credits.