This is the characters page for Ruby Nation.
The Ruby Nation
Ruby HarrisonThe main heroic figure of the story. Shes a giant posthuman whose body radiates an enomous amount of energy. She also has a very tender personality, albeit stern and resilient.
- Action Girl
- Amazonian Beauty: Despite her intimidating stature, shes pretty good-looking.
- Be All My Sins Remembered: Carries deep regret over the times she's had to take a life on the battlefield.
- Broken Bird: Despite her stoicism, she carries a deep sadness about her life, what she's lost, and what she feels she's done wrong.
- Gentle Giant: Unless really provoked.
- Giant Woman: 9' 1"
- Guile Hero: When being stronger than an ox doesn't get the job done, Ruby is no slouch at using her head.
- Hurting Hero
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Averted. She wants to help people and make life better for everyone, but being normal isnt a part of this. She appreciates the advantages of her powers.
- The Insomniac: She literally has too much energy flowing through her to fall asleep.
- Pregnant Badass: Being pregnant with a posthuman baby only increases her already considerable energy levels and size. It does slow her down a bit, but it certainly doesnt weaken her by much.
- Statuesque Stunner: At 9' 1".
- Super Strength
- Team Mom: She has a very maternal personality, but this tends to not work out well for her.
- Tender Tears: She wears her emotions out on her sleeve, but her sorrow is generally more than warranted.
Jiro SasakiRubys main supporter, both on the battlefield and in a more intimate sense. His moral code is a bit more grey than Rubys, but he tends to go with whatever she says.
- A Father to His Men: Following some Character Development, he eventually goes from only looking out for Ruby to looking out for his whole team and acting more like a leader.
- Battle Couple: He forms one with Ruby
- Berserk Button: You do not want to threaten Ruby in front of him.
- Combat Pragmatist: Jiro will resort to less than sporting methods of fighting when dire situations arise. This goes doubly if Ruby's safety is somehow involved, which it very often is.
- Cool Shades
- Heroic BSoD: Has a short one when he finds out Ruby is pregnant with his child.
- Hollywood Autism: a deliberate deconstruction. His physical and cognitive abilities have been greatly advanced by nanomachines, but his social skills remain arrested. He doesn't relate well to people, and the world he lives in gives him no reasons to like them. He finds love with Ruby and companionship with her other friends, but he still has difficulty with more subtle, emotional interactions. It's clear he cares about people (especially Ruby), defying many of the stereotypes of autistic people, but he's not good at expressing it, and is prone to unexpected emotional outbursts.
- Knight Templar: He goes to sometimes questionable lengths for what he feels is the greater good.
- No Social Skills
- Pragmatic Hero
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Hes not nearly as emotive as Ruby, but he still has a soft side despite his limited social acuity.
- Super Speed
- Team Dad: In contrast to Ruby, he's strict and demanding towards the other members of the group, particularly Elise.
- The Rain Man: He was autistic before he was subjected to Beagle's experiments, and while his intellect was greatly enhanced as well as his physical abilities, his social skills remain poor. Deconstructed, as he still shows empathy towards other (especially Ruby), albeit usually in an awkward fashion.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Ruby. When she's in danger, he becomes outright cruel towards anyone threatening her.
- Wake-Up Fighting: The minute hes woken up, he pulls a knife.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Elise Sasaki-GarciaA posthuman rescued by Rubys crew. She suffers from amnesia and bouts of extreme temper, as well as a violent streak.
- Blood Knight: She enjoys fighting just a bit too much.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: When Apex Unit gets a hold of her, they brainwash her into having severe violent tendancies and send her back to Ruby in hopes shell kill her. Even after the memory of this incident is erased, she still isnt quite sane.
- Dark and Troubled Past: A fairly recent past, but theres a reason she has a memory gap and its nothing good.
- Eyepatch of Power: She wears one ever since she lost an eye when she tried to kill Ruby.
- Gamer Girl: Hinted at, given all the gaming merchandise she wears and keeps in her room.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Theres a gap of exactly four months missing from her memory. She had her memory wiped after she was brainwashed into trying to kill Ruby.
- Only Sane Man: Once she learns about her past, she ends up being one of the more lucid characters, especially given all her inside knowledge on both sides. She becomes a bit more unhinged again after Alexis is killed.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: She has the most colorful vocabulary of the cast and the temper to go with it.
- Winged Humanoid
JensA member of The Ruby Nation.
- Brainwashed: As of the Apex Event, he is not under control of the Apex State.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Ruby.
- Out of Focus: Largely shuffled to the background in the transition from Ruby's World to Ruby Nation.
- The Smart Guy
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: He hits Jiro and gives him a talking-to after he freaks out when Ruby tells him shes pregnant.
Duncan ErnestoA member of The Ruby Nation.
- Apologetic Attacker: He apologizes profusely to Elise after fighting back when she tries to bully him into sparring with her.
- Cowardly Lion: The poor guy always looks a few moments from wetting himself in terror, but that doesn't stop him from standing up to Jiro and volunteering to help rescue Ruby.
- Gentle Giant: Hes a big guy, but doesnt like fighting and is afraid of hurting people.
- Nice Guy: He's a genuinely kind-hearted person.
- Shock and Awe: He has electrical powers.
AlexisA member of The Ruby Nation. She has telepathic abilities.
Dr. Victoria CarcharriaThe founder of Beagle Labs and the one who gives Apex Unit their orders. She is responsible for nanomachines being forced onto people, turning them into posthumans for the sake of unifying the world.
- Bad Boss: She controls her minions by giving them remote seizures.
- The Evils of Free Will: Ultimately, this is the driving force behind why shes does the things she does.
- Mad Scientist
- Older Than They Look: In person, she looks like a kid.
- One-Winged Angel: In a last-ditch effort to take Ruby down, she uses her connection to the Apex State to assume a truly monstrous form. Then she promptly get killed by Jiro shooting her in the kidney.
- One-Winged Angel: Her posthuman form.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Shes trying to unify the world, but her methods are twisted and murderous.
- Scary Shiny Glasses
MorayThe leader of Apex Unit and the most ruthless one of them. Named for the moray eel.
- Kick the Dog: He kills one of his own mooks in front of Ruby in the prologue.
- Knight Templar: Everything he does is in service of the Plan.
- Large Ham
- Nietzsche Wannabe: He names his team members after apex predators and sees himself as a superior being.
- Psychopathic Manchild: As Elise points out, he's little more than a petty bully underneath his posturing. And as it turns out, he actually is a child, aged up with nanotechnology.
- Sociopathic Soldier
- Wicked Cultured: The most erudite member of the group and quick to use words in an attempt to sway people, though hes hardly above taking violent measures.
- Younger Than They Look: On the opposite end of the spectrum to the Good Doctor, he's actually only ten years old.
RatelAnother member of Apex Unit. Named after the honey badger.
- Anime Hair
- Berserk Button: She doesnt appreciate her leader being attacked or threatened by Elise.
- Dark Action Girl
- Kick Chick: Her main mode of fighting.
- Meaningful Name: [[Spoiler: She actually is a honey badger. She was made to look human]].
KalugaAnother member of Apex Unit. Named after the sturgeon.
- Beauty = Goodness: Played with. Hes by no means a good guy, being part of Apex Unit, but hes the most sympathetic. He also has a severe deformation, unlike his more normal-looking team members.
- Cool Mask: He wears it to hide his facial tumor.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: He doesnt approve of everything Dr. Carcharria orders, but he goes along with it anyway.
- Retractable Appendages: He uses telescoping limbs to impale people.