Tropes frequently associated with the Boys Love Genre
. Also see Boys Love Types
for characterization and relationship tropes that don't merit their own pages. Also see Bara Genre
, for the equivalent genre for gay/bi men. That said, there is some crossover - some gay/bi men happen to be more into twinks or non-muscled men or want more plot, so they may seek out BL also or create "hybrid" works.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: This is more common in the less sexually explicit series, but also shows up in the full-on erotic stories, which can be confusing if you're not used to it. Yes, that glowing cone of light is meant to be a penis.
- Bastard Boyfriend
- Boys Love Notes
- Cast Full of Gay: For series that don't go with Everyone Is Bi.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys
- Crazy Jealous Guy: For the more possessive seme characters, although ukes are just as applicable.
- Closet Key
- Depraved Bisexual: Usually villains, although the kinkier semes can go there.
- Depraved Homosexual: Ditto.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Everyone Is Bi: Rule #1 of BL: no guy, however straight, is capable of resisting a sufficiently hot other guy.
- Gayngst: also Angst, Wangst, and Melodrama in general.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Ukes typically have wide eyes to show their youth and innocence. Semes typically have narrow eyes to show their maturity and sophistication. Though, today this rule somewhat no longer applies.
- Ho Yay
- If It's You, It's Okay: If neither Cast Full of Gay nor Everyone Is Bi applies, it's likely this.
- Incompatible Orientation - usually very temporary.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Mr. Fanservice
- One Head Taller: Mostly Seme but some Uke are taller.
- Rape as Backstory
- Shirtless Scene
- Single-Target Sexuality: Also good for those cases where neither Cast Full of Gay nor Everyone Is Bi apply.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Originally only for ukes: not so much anymore.