"What are you to me?"
"How should I know??" Yaoi manga
by Miyuki Abe
Haru visits Canada to spend the summer holidays in the woodland house of his strict, strong-willed mother, Haruko. There, she burdens him with the responsibility of caring for his younger adoptive brother - a wild and unruly little boy named Ren who trusts no-one and prefers to wander in the woods with Haruko's dogs rather than associate other people. Haruko orders Haru to 'civilize' Ren.
As the young man strives to teach Ren how to live in human society, their relationship gradually improves - so much so that Haru plans on taking his 'little brother' to Japan with him once he finds a job.
Unfortunately, fate has a cruel habit of interfering with one's plans...
This work provides examples of:
- A Dog Named Dog: Tanuki/Racoon, although this makes more sense in Japanese since he turns out to be a Tanuki Pome.
- Amnesiac Hero / Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Haru loses part of his memory, including the summer spent with Ren in Canada and the last conversation with his parents.
- Asian Airhead: Aki and Shima like to call Haru that, though his characterization differs vastly. Sometimes bordering on Cloud Cuckoo Lander, although that seems to be intentionally..
- Big Brother Instinct: Haru. He also tries (somewhat successfully) to invoke this in Aki regarding Ren.
- Bilingual Bonus: Ren and Haru, as well as Ren and a classmate sometimes talk in English. (At least in the Chinese tankobon a translation is provided)
- Bishōnen/Cast Full of Pretty Boys
- Character Development: Aki really grew up, both Ren and Haru are going through some.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Played with- Ren. Although it isn't played for laughs and an important part of his character, it is convenient to the plot.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Everyone has their jealous and crazy jealous moments, even Aki over Shima tutoring and spending time with a girl. There's also Haru towards Ren spending time with Natsuo and Ren's outburst after Natsuo kissed Haru. or Ren's general emotions regarding Haru and other people.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Most likely for Ren, who has burn marks on the soles of his feet. Either in the orphanage or before someone seems to have abused him.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: The Kaidou's, who were a loving couple who cared for Haru and adopted Ren into the family before they died tragically in a car crash.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Ren in Canada. He was a pretty Badass 8-year old, and constantly refused to wear his shoes until Haru managed to have him wear them.
- Expy: A half japanese blonde that works as a host, is fauned over loads of ladies and wants to keep his family together? Where have we seen that before?
- Non identical twins, one wears glasses and responsible while the other is a wild haired and more hot blooded. Rin and Yukio, is that you?
- Fetish: Haru. Keeps accepting presents like porn with a female star that looks suspiciously like Ren, cosplay in Ren's size etc. It's still not revealed whether Ren or Cosplay is the actual fetish.
- Funny Foreigner: Sometimes Ren to his classmates. When a teacher wants him to be more like his classmates, they say he might be weird, but he doesn't have to change, claiming that they can't change their little quirks either.
- Host Club: Haru used to work as a host, Natsuo still does and took on Haru's pseudonym.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Funnily enough, Natsuo says this to Ren, when he is asked to sleep with him.
Natsuo: "Hm.. Though I'm not into guys or kids, if it's you, I don't mind."
Haru: "Isn't this really normal? Between two brothers."
Shima: "Yeah, it's really normal."
Aki: "Because it's Haru. (When we wre younger Haru was like that to us too.)"
Shima: "Yeah, you see.. those two are definitely.. foreigners."
- Malaproper: Tanuki/Racoon Ren's understanding of the Japanese language is not necessarily bad, but it leaves something to wish for, starkly contrasting his otherwise exceptionally good grades.
- No Social Skills: Ren. He isn't outright rude or asocial, but he's just not that interested in people if they aren't Haru
- Older Than They Look: Poor Ren apparently looks like a middle schooler.
- One Head Taller: Ren is really tiny.note
- Only Sane Man: Often Played for Laughs with either Aki, Shima, Sensei or an Innocent Bystander
- Parental Abandonment: Ren's biological parents seem to have abandoned him, the Kaidou parents died, and Haruko is more of a crazy aunt than a mother towards Haru, even punishing him for calling her mom.
- Parental Substitute: Haruko to Ren, though one could argue that she is more than that as his semi-adopted mother. Mikiko could be seen as one to all the brothers, as she helped them finding residency and helping Haru rake in customers when he was a host.
- Real Men Cook: Living in an only-men household, and owning a café does that to a guy. Ren's curry seems to be very tasty, too.
- Seme: Haru is a Nonke (unless he'll be revealed to have been bi all along), and shares some traits with the Wanko-type-seme.
- Sleep Cute: Haru and Ren start sharing a bed very early on, though with Ren being eight, it is deeply platonic
Haru: "I can only sleep when it's with you."