Manga / Warui Koto Shitai
Warui Koto Shitai
(I Want to Be Naughty!
) is a Yaoi
manga series written and illustrated by Mei Sakuraga and published in the magazine Hanaoto
since 2006. The story follows happy-go-lucky delinquent
Towa Aikawa, who despises the Absurdly Powerful Student Council
, and develops an Odd Friendship
with a boy from the advanced class, Mikado Shirahane. Unbeknownst to Towa, Mikado has two secrets: the first one is that he's the president of said student council; the second is that he's deeply in love with Towa.
Originally a three-chapter story, the series has expanded to include several sequels and spin-offs featuring three Beta Couples
set in the same universe with only One Degree of Separation
. In addition to its popularity, Audio Adaptations
of each volume have been released on to CDs, and Sakuraga has released a doujinshi related to the series. note
Currently, only the first volume has been licensed in the US by Kitty Media
The story is split into four couples, all with Theme Naming
- Mikado Shirahane + Towa Aikawa: The main couple in the series. Titles include Warui Koto Shitai note , Waruiko Demo Ii? note , Warui Yatsu Demo Ii? note , Warui Koibito ja Dame? note , and Warui Ouji Demo Suki note
- Ryuichi Shinonome + Shuji Yukimura: Towa and Mikado's friends. Titles include Kirai ja nai Kedo note , Koi ja nai Kedo note , Kare ja nai Kedo note , and Sunao ja nai Kedo note
- Kuon Aikawa + Nanao Shirahane: Towa and Mikado's older brothers. Titles include Mujihi na Otoko note , Mujihi na Anata note , and Mujihi na Karada note Unlike the rest of the series, the Mujihi na series ran in Hanaoto's seasonal sister magazine, Boys Kyapi!
- Shiro Akagi + Nao Kousaka: The former student council president and a member of the public morals committee at Towa and Mikado's school. Titles include Shouwaru Ookami Koi wo Shitarashii note
In addition to these couples, some other One Shot Characters
appeared in one-shot Spin Offs
in the Shared Universe
, which includes:
Tropes present in Warui Koto Shitai include:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: Towa despises the student council for being so restricting.
- Accidental Hand Hold: Yukimura accidentally breaks a valuable vase when he touches Shinonome as he hands the vase over.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: In Koi ja nai Kedo, Shinonome is unable to control himself around Yukimura and jerks off in front of him. In Mujihi na Otoko, Nanao does the same after an intimate encounter with Kuon in a bathroom stall.
- A Day in the Limelight: Since Warui Koto Shitai is the main series, the ~ja nai kedo and Mujihi na~ series can also be seen as this, though the other two couples are slowly getting more and more spotlight over time. A perfect example is Amai Koto Shitai, which features two student council members in the Shared Universe, though they have never appeared in any of the main stories thus far. Now, Akagi and Kousaka are in the spotlight for Sakuraga's newest release, Shouwaru Ookami Koi wo Shitarashii.
- Aggressive Submissive: Yukimura can clearly beat Shinonome within an inch of his life, but relinquishes control whenever he makes sexual advances on him. Nanao is extremely aggressive when approaching Kuon, but lets him take the reigns when they have sex.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Shinonome, a delinquent, is popular with the girls.
- Ascended Extra: Yukimura, Shinonome, Kuon, and Nanao for getting serializations about their stories, when they only appeared as minor characters at first.
- Beautiful All Along: As stated by Yuu in Warui Ouji Demo Suki, Towa is a really pretty and attractive Bishōnen, it's just his lack of intelligence make people think lowly of him.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Most of any "belligerent sexual tension" comes from Yukimura, who refuses to admit he likes Shinonome. Shinonome doesn't make it any better when he continues to tease him.
- Berserk Button: Mikado, Shinonome, and Kuon are very protective of Towa, Yukimura, and Nanao to varying degrees. Don't hurt them. Seriously, don't.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Lay a hand on Towa or Nanao and Kuon will attack you in cold blood.
- Big Brother Instinct: Nagahisa and Kuon are very protective of Towa, while Hajime is the same to Yukimura. At one point, Nanao subtly warns Towa not to treat Mikado "unfairly", visibly frightening him. Kimiko seems to be a female version, especially toward Nanao.
- Big Man on Campus: Mikado is one, naturally.
- Bishōnen: Towa, Yukimura, Nanao and Kousaka.
- Blackmail: Shinonome and Yukimura's relationship starts out with Shinonome threatening to show everyone an Embarrassing Old Photo of Yukimura in his delinquent years, tarnishing his star student image.
- Bridal Carry: Mikado carries a drunk Towa this way in chapter 4 of Warui Yatsu Demo Ii.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Mikado is the top student at school, but he doesn't take his role as the student council president seriously. He'd rather spend time with Towa above everything.
- Brutal Honesty: Kuon is straightforward and even tells Nanao in his face that he doesn't like him because of his reputation as an Ethical Slut. It's this quality of his that leads Nanao into falling in love with him.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Yukimura cannot just come clean with Shinonome about how he feels about him.
- Nanao consistently has trouble talking to Kuon about his feelings; he tries twice to say he loves him, but chickens out both times. When he's finally cornered and forced to say it, he practically has an emotional meltdown. In fact, many of the conflicts in their relationship stem from Nanao being afraid to say what's on his mind for fear of driving Kuon a way.
- Towa is first reluctant to engage in activities with Mikado because he just wants to be "normal friends." When Mikado decides to act as normal friends with Towa, Towa is greatly upset at the fact that Mikado is no longer touching him but is confused about why he's upset; when the two make up, Mikado asks why Towa disliked the idea of them being sex friends, but also disliked the idea of them being just friends, Towa still couldn't say why he dislikes it. Towa is slowly realizing that he loves Mikado, but to the most recent chapter of the manga, he still has not told Mikado that he loves him; even though Mikado has claimed Towa is his only lover.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Both Towa and Yukimura get drunk with just a few sips. Naturally, when they accidentally get drunk together at a cafe due to a mix up, Hilarity Ensues.
- Casual Kink: Nanao, as it turns out, is horribly masochistic. He comes to enjoy the Cosplay his sister forces him to try, and gets excited whenever he gets punished by Kuon.
- Chick Magnet: Mikado, Shinonome, and Kuon have been mentioned to be popular with the girls at least once. Shinonome is more upfront about it than the other two, though, since Mikado doesn't care and Kuon is Oblivious to Love (and even if he weren't, chances are he wouldn't care either).
- Childhood Friends: Towa and Yuu.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Shinonome and Yukimura have known each other since middle school.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Shinonome and Nanao are one, though with Nanao, you can never tell when he's being honest about himself or not.
- Cool Big Sis: Mikado and Nanao's older sister, Kimiko, can be quite abusive, but she really looks out for her family.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Mikado and Shinonome can be quite possessive of Towa and Yukimura, but Kuon fits this the best; he even warns Nanao about his clingy behavior, but Nanao actually doesn't mind it at all because it's proof that he loves him.
- Crossdresser: Nanao does fetishized female Cosplay on a regular basis due to being Kimiko's living dress-up doll. He grows to like it, though, and even pulls this on Kuon a couple of times. Yukimura and Towa also do this in a side story of Sunao ja nai Kedo.
- Cute Little Fangs: Towa has such.
- Darker and Edgier: The Mujihi na series has a considerably darker tone than the other two series.
- Dating Catwoman: Towa hates the student council, and Mikado turns out to be its president.
- Deadpan Snarker: Though Yuu looks like a Perpetual Smiler and a Keet, he's actually really sarcastic and enjoys teasing Yuu and Nagahisa. Kuon also makes snarky comments to counteract with Nagahisa's overreacting behavior.
- Dragged into Drag: Towa in chapter 2 of Warui Ouji Demo Suki by Yuu and Shinonome, trying to help Towa attract Mikado's attention when they learn his favorite type of person is someone beautiful in an interview from the school paper.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Yuu is mistaken as a girl in Warui Yatsu Demo Ii?, and the fact that he wears Hair Decorations doesn't help one bit, however, by Warui Ouji Demo Suki, Yuu doesn't look as feminine and has grown taller than Towa.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Mikado kisses Towa when he's unconscious in Warui Yatsu Demo Ii?, but it's subverted because Towa was pretending to be asleep when he did that. This trope is averted with Kuon and Nanao, as when Kuon finds Nanao sleeping on his bed, clutching his pillow, and murmuring his name in his sleep, he does all he can to stop himself from advancing on him since he's "not so low as to jump someone in his sleep."
- Easily Forgiven: Kuon doesn't seem to care that Nanao technically rapes him and actually gets mad at Nanao for describing it that way and feeling guilty over it. At the same time, Nanao bears virtually no grudge against Satonaka-sensei over very clearly sexually assaulting him. Kuon, however, has made it clear he'll never forgive him (or anyone who hurts Nanao). And in Kirai ja nai Kedo, Yukimura ultimately doesn't mind that Shinonome blackmailed him into sexual favors, eventually even using it as an excuse to maintain their relationship.
- Embarrassing Old Photo: Shinonome has photos of Yukimura back when he was still a delinquent, and Yukimura does all he can to stop him from spreading them. Eventually, Yukimura's past is revealed to the student council by an old reformed acquaintance, but only Irie seems to take it hard.
- Ethical Slut: Nanao implies that he has had a number of Friends with Benefits in the past, including Prof. Satonaka, but as a person, he keeps the identities of all of his partners confidential out of respect for them. He does draw the line with his cousin, Masato, though, as he refuses to sleep with his close relatives.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Well, yeah, it's a Yaoi series, but this is the case for Yukimura and Nanao, both of whom have a history of unwanted male pursuers intentionally pouncing on them. With Towa, he attracts the attention of Akagi and Irie seems to have fallen for him when he was cross dressing.
- Exact Words: In Sunao ja nai Kedo, Yukimura lets Shinonome kiss him on the condition that it's "only a normal kiss." Instead, Shinonome kisses him all over his body because he didn't limit it to just his lips.
- First Name Basis: Kuon starts calling Nanao by his first name to not confuse his name with Mikado's in conversation. Yukimura used to call Shinonome by his first name until he abandons his delinquent persona, but he calls Mikado by his first name. Mikado and Towa both call each other by first name.
- Foreshadowing: It's hinted all the way back in the second volume, Waruiko Demo Ii?, during Nanao's first appearance, that he's always liked Kuon, suggesting that he dressed up properly to impress him and his constant dialogue of how jealous he is over what Mikado and Towa have with each other and how protective Kuon is over someone who isn't him.
- Former Teen Rebel: Yukimura used to be a delinquent in middle school, but he'd rather not let everyone know about it.
- Friendless Background: Other than the public morals committee and Shinonome, Kousaka has no one to talk to. This becomes inverted once he becomes acquainted with Towa and Yuu in Shouwaru Ookami and appears to enjoy their company and hopes to spend time with them again.
- Friends with Benefits: When Towa meets Nanao for the first time, Nanao teases him about being one for Mikado. Masato initially thinks Kuon is this to Nanao until they clarify their relationship.
- Friend Walks In At the Worst Time: Towa doesn't figure out until Warui Koibito ja Dame? that Shinonome and Yukimura are in a relationship until he accidentally walks on them making out.
- Good Is Dumb: Towa's not the brightest crayon in the box, and his naivete and stupidity is astounding, but that's one of the reasons why Mikado likes him.
- Gossip Evolution: A rather joking comment made by Prof. Satonaka about Nanao has led many to think that he Really Gets Around.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: In Sunao ja nai Kedo, Yukimura gets jealous whenever Shinonome hangs out with Kousaka, and it's through that he realizes he hasn't been treating Shinonome respectfully.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Plenty. Mikado gets jealous whenever Towa hangs out with anyone else, Shinonome does his best to shoot down any of Yukimura's pursuers, and Kuon is a Crazy Jealous Guy for Nanao. On the other hand, Yukimura does get jealous whenever Shinonome is found with a girl or Kousaka, and Nanao constantly gets upset when he remembers how popular Kuon is with the girls. Yuu also gets jealous when Kimiko shows an interest in Nagahisa.
- Handsome Lech: Shinonome is pretty in-your-face about his attractive looks.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Yukimura used to be a delinquent, but now maintains a polished look to become a star student. When Shinonome joins him as his assistant, his popularity skyrockets.
- He Is All Grown Up: Yukimura is a year older than Shinonome, but once he notices that Shinonome has grown, that's when he starts taking him seriously.
- He's Got Legs: Towa, as stated by Shinonome in Warui Ouji Demo Suki. Yukimura, also stated by Shinonome in a side story of Sunao ja nai kedo.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Kimiko abused Nanao so much in their childhood by forcing him to dress up in girls' clothing that he often took solace with the home butler. Unfortunately, many of the butlers wound up quitting because they became attracted to him.
- Hot-Blooded: Yukimura snaps at others easily, bordering on Hair-Trigger Temper.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Mikado is clearly The Ace of the school and Towa occasionally gets insecure and intimidated by how perfect he is.
- Intimate Healing: Happens pretty frequently with Kuon and Nanao. Whenever Nanao isn't feeling particularly confident about how Kuon sees him, he often resorts to having sex with him, as he mentions that it's his only way of showing how much he loves him to the fullest.
- Japanese Delinquents: Towa, Yuu, and Shinonome don't really follow the school rules and it's evident in them breaking the dress code. Yukimura used to be the textbook definition of one until shaping up in high school.
- Keet: Towa, Towa, Towa.
- Kissing Cousins: Nanao's cousin, Masato, is attracted to him.
- Ladykiller in Love: Not so much as a "lady", but Nanao, who has a notorious reputation of being able to "seduce any man with his eyes", is in love with Kuon.
- Longing Look: Prior to interacting with Kuon for the first time, Nanao had been in love with him for a year and constantly stole glances at him.
- Love at First Sight: Mujihi na Anata reveals that Kuon fell in love with Nanao at first sight, but upon hearing the rumors about him, realized he was Loving a Shadow and started avoiding him.
- Love Dodecahedron: Where do we start? Towa is trapped in a Love Triangle with Mikado and Akagi, both of who like him. Irie loves Yukimura, who loves Shinonome, who loves him back but is also loved by Kousaka. Prof. Satonaka and Masato make routine advances on Nanao, but Nanao desperately pines for Kuon. This isn't even including the One Shot Characters that appear.
- Love Triangle: Kimiko and Yuu are both attracted to Nagahisa, and this is acknowledged by Sakuraga through her relationship diagrams and some of her art. She even jokes that all of them should have a polyagamous marriage, and that Kimiko and Yuu are the two Semes in the relationship.
- Loving a Shadow: Nanao insists on hiding his Dark and Troubled Past from Kuon so that he wouldn't be disillusioned. It's even revealed in Mujihi na Anata that Kuon fell in love with Nanao at first sight, but upon discovering rumors about him, avoided contact with him. Fortunately he comes to accept him for who he is.
- This is a bit subverted in the case of Akagi and Towa with the former being in love with the latter but the former has a hidden personality shown in Shouwaru Ookami and the latter has no clue of this hidden personality.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Towa and Mikado have had sex in the library and in various places at school sometimes.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Somehow, Kuon and Nanao see each other as this in Mujihi na Otoko, to the point where it becomes Poor Communication Kills. Kuon has a hard time figuring out when Nanao isn't hiding the truth. Nanao, on the other hand, becomes hurt when Kuon refuses to get involved with him but still continues to watch out for him out of concern.
- The Matchmaker: In Amai Koto Shitai, Mikado pairs Tonozaki as The Mentor to Otonashi just so they could get to know each other. He actually didn't expect them to go that far.
- Megane: Both Yukimura and Nanao wear glasses. Akagi wears them as well since he's a part of the main cast now.
- Mr. Fanservice: Mikado, Shinonome, and Kuon. Nanao qualifies as well due to having a lot of establishing fanservice shots on chapter covers and getting away with it because of his status as the series' resident Ethical Slut.
- Naughty Nurse Outfit: In Mujihi na Karada, after chasing Masato away, Kimiko gives Kuon a picture of Nanao in nurse cosplay as an apology.
- Oblivious to Love: Towa is dumb as bricks and it takes him a long time to figure out that everything Mikado does is for him. Also, in Mujihi na Otoko, Kuon is oblivious when a girl tries to hit on him (though it's subverted in the fact he gets it quickly that Nanao likes him; it's just that he's bad at dealing with people hitting on him). It must run in the Aikawa family.
- One Degree of Separation: Towa and Shinonome are friends. Mikado and Yukimura are part of the student council. Kuon and Nanao are Towa and Mikado's respective older brothers. Akagi used to be the former student council president and was a co-worker of Towa's when he was working part-time and Kousaka is a part of the disciplinary committee and gets along well with Shinonome.
- Papa Bear: The eldest Aikawa brother, Nagahisa, who cries at the mention of Towa being in love.
- The Peeping Tom: Shinonome has apparently been this to Yukimura for some time, though he means no real harm by it.
- Please Don't Leave Me: In Mujihi na Anata, Nanao deals with his insecurity over his relationship with Kuon that he's afraid he'll leave him if he finds out the truth about him. Yukimura also pulls this on Shinonome in Sunao ja nai Kedo.
- Poor Communication Kills: This is an ongoing issue between Kuon and Nanao, as Nanao is reluctant to share his past openly to Kuon in fear of driving him away.
- Really Gets Around: Due to some nasty rumors, Nanao looks like this, but he does admit to having multiple shallow relationships in the past.
- The Rival: Yukimura and Kousaka see each other as this. Akagi was this to Mikado in Warui Ouji Demo Suki.
- School Nurse: Circa Sunao ja nai Kedo, Hajime becomes a nurse at Yukimura's school.
- Seme: Mikado, Shinonome, Kuon, and Akagi.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Some scenes where it's obvious when a couple is going to get it on is cut away due to Censorship Tropes surrounding the Hanaoto magazine. However, the tankouban (volume book) release includes extended scenes where Coitus Ensues.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: The cover of the November 2013 issue of Boys Kyapi! depicts Nanao wearing Kuon's shirt over his hickey-covered body as they eat breakfast.
- Ship Tease: The side story where Kimiko meets the Aikawas for the first time as well as the Sunao ja nai kedo drama CD hints that Yuu likes Nagahisa.
- Shirtless Scene: In Mujihi na Karada, Kuon wakes up without a shirt. In Sunao ja nai Kedo, Shinonome lets Yukimura come into the bathroom when he's fresh out of the shower.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Towa notes that Mikado and Nanao are opposite in that Mikado smiles only when he's sincerely happy while his Chivalrous Pervert older brother Nanao doesn't. Kuon differs from Nagahisa in that he's the Straight Man to his Wise Guy, is a Deadpan Snarker, and, despite that he's Oblivious to Love, really picks up on the Double Meanings Mikado drops.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Towa and Nagahisa sometimes find it hard to believe Kuon and Nanao are close because they tend to argue a lot in front of them, yet the two do get along otherwise.
- Slut-Shaming: Kuon does this to Nanao until about halfway through Mujihi Na Otoko, flat out telling him he despises him for sleeping around and that, as such, he's not welcome anywhere near the Aikawa family.
- Smoking Is Cool: Nanao smokes. Shinonome used to smoke until he quit because of Yukimura. Yukimura smoked during his delinquent days.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Growing up, Yukimura had a lot of unwanted admirers, so much that he became a delinquent to ward them off. Nanao has this problem to a significantly lesser degree.
- Stalker with a Crush: One of Shinonome and Yukimura's old friends is briefly this to Yukimura in Koi Ja Nai Kedo and Yukimura mentions he was even stalked by a classmate once in elementary school. Irie is a very mild example; he makes no effort to hide his affection for Yukimura, clings to him whenever he can (even though Yukimura clearly wants nothing to do with it), never misses an opportunity to be alone with him, and even (somewhat forcibly) kisses him the second he gets the chance, though that's about the extent of his stalking.
- Stepford Smiler: Nanao openly smiles to hide his insecurities about his sexuality.
- The Stoic: Kuon and Kousaka are both mostly expressionless, though in Kousaka's case it's because he's a Sugar and Ice Personality.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: Kuon is the Straight Man to Nagahisa's Wise Guy.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Kousaka is sugary around Shinonome, but icy to everyone else. He eventually starts to warm up to Towa and Yuu in Shouwaru Ookami.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Mikado and Nanao.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Nanao and Prof. Satonaka have been in an open relationship for a year as Friends with Benefits. Nanao stops seeing him after getting together with Kuon, but Prof. Satonaka is still interested in him.
- Those Two Guys: Yuu and Shinonome are this for Towa until Shinonome becomes an Ascended Extra with his stories. Kira and Kokonoe are introduced as this in Warui Ouji Demo Suki.
- Tsundere: Yukimura is a big type A, and most of his conflict with Shinonome deals with him being unable to be upfront about his feelings for him.
- Uke: Towa, Yukimura, Nanao, and Kousaka.
- Unkempt Beauty: Both Shinonome and Kuon have wild hair, but Kuon dresses neater than Shinonome does.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Mikado and Yukimura's interests diverge when it comes to Towa, otherwise they're friends. Even when they don't get along, they at least respect each other, as Mikado comes to Yukimura's defense when Towa insults him and Yukimura admits Mikado is his best friend.
- Yandere: Kuon shows shades of this. In Mujihi na Otoko, one of his friends even states that he's probably the type to kill his lover first if betrayed.
- Yaoi Fangirl: The girls in the Drama Club (who appear in a side story for Sunao ja nai kedo) come off as this. They seem to be catching onto Towa and Mikado's closeness, as well as Shinonome and Yukimura's. They also ship Towa and Yukimura as well.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Towa and Yukimura wear these in their Meido uniforms for the school culture festival in a side story in Sunao ja nai Kedo.