Ueda Tomoharu (left) and Gotouda Aki (right)
Aki: 's kinda like that story, yanno? That Romero and Juliet one! A cop and a mobster!
Takihaze: Waka, I believe you mean Romeo and Juliet.
A Boys Love Genre
manga by Yamamoto Kotetsuko.
Ordinary policeman Ueda Tomoharu
caught an underwear thief
red-handed and encountered one of the people the thief stole from. The next day, he was confessed to by over-the-top Yakuza
Gotouda Aki, who turned out to be the person he met the day before. They started dating after some further hijinks, and Ueda's quiet and normal life was gone forever
This series provides examples of
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Averted with Aki, who has never gotten himself off before and whenever he gets in the mood, just goes over to Ueda's; much to the latter's surprise.
- Ueda- I can't imagine him not doing it.
- Affectionate Nickname: Takihaze is called "Tako" by Aki.
- Badass: Both Tomoharu and Aki are capable fighters.
- BadassInDistress: Aki gets kidnapped on one occasion, and he manages to free himself without help.
- Berserk Button: Aki has two; one, don't interrupt him and Tomoharu kissing or being intimate, and two, don't call him cute.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Ueda. Being nice does not mean he will compromise what he thinks is right. He is also a more than capable fighter so it is not a good idea to piss him off.
- Big Brother Instinct: Ueda's kicks in when he discovers Natsuki is dating someone. Aki develops this as well, throwing himself in front of car in order to protect him.
- Bishōnen: Aki, to everyone's surprise, his slicked-back hair makes people look at him weirdly, but when they see him with his hair down... wow. Just look◊.
- Koyama has a similar effect.
- Busman's Holiday: Even when off duty, Ueda just can't ignore a person in trouble. Luckily for him, Aki finds that endearing.
- Closet Key: Kei was this for Aki.
- Cool Shades: Aki has them, as shown above.
- Covert Pervert: Ueda embodies this trope; who would expect that the wholesome Fair Cop had such an obsession over his lover's nipples?
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Both Aki and Ueda. Aki is vocal in his clinginess but it's Ueda whose jealousy people should watch out for. He is quiet and reserved but everyone is scared of him when he's in a bad mood.
- Crush Blush: Aki blushed a lot around Ueda before they began dating, though, he still blushes.
- Cry Cute: Aki does this when Ueda is injured in a car accident.
- Cuteness Overload: Tomoharu has this in Chapter 16 when seeing Aki with a puppy (last panel).
- Cuteness Proximity: Tomoharu finds Aki incredibly cute, often getting aroused by his sweet and cute actions; once, Aki successfully made a slice of toast, he decided to let Tomoharu have it, Tomoharu's response was to hug his lover and wonder if there was enough time to have sex before he had to go to work.
- Koyama and Hidaka both find each other incredibly cute, so much so that neither are willing to submit to be the Uke and both want to be Seme, hilariously shown here.
- The Ditz: Aki; he's never bought anything from a drug store prior to chapter 13, didn't know what temperature was a fever, applied too many cooling pads to Tomoharu when he was sick, failed to make a simple dish, and was in high school for all of three days before dropping out.
- Dragged into Drag: Aki, by his mother of all people.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Aki, to Ueda's annoyance.
- Aki even makes Ueda's parents that are still married get flustered.
- Fair Cop: Ueda.
- First Love: Both Aki and Tomoharu have been in relationships prior to getting together, Aki sleeping around with whoever regardless of gender and Tomoharu dating people simply because he liked people and all of his relationships ended because his girlfriends noticed he didn't love them unconditionally, neither of the two experienced true love until they met and fell for each other and began dating.
- First Name Basis: Ueda always called Aki "Aki", Aki at first referred to him as "Ueda", about half way through the manga, he begins calling him "Tomoharu".
- Genki Guy: Aki is just incredibly energetic. How in the hell does the composed Ueda keep up with him?
- Hartman Hips: Aki is a male example, according to Shige in chapter 6.2, whenever Aki would come by the Kirishima Group's headquarters to visit, he had gotten sexier between visits, especially around his hips; and Aki has been noted to have flared hips and a small butt by others.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Aki, whenever he lets his hair down and wears less tacky clothes, he can go from getting awkward stares to people getting flustered around him and asking him to be a model.
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: Part of Aki's Yakuza getup. Both Ueda (though he was nicer about it) and his younger brother Natsuki are embarrassed to be seen with him because of it.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Aki (24-5) and Natsuki (14) are texting buddies later on.
- Luminescent Blush: Aki is highly prone to this.
- Man Child: Aki. Impulsive, stubborn, and at times insensitive.
- Memento Macguffin: Aki has two; the spare key to Tomoharu's apartment and his ring, both given to him by Tomoharu.
- Neighbourhood Friendly Gangsters: Aki's Yakuza-ness is confined to his bad fashion sense (which even other yakuza find weird) and rude speech manners. He is actually a decent guy. Other gang members are rowdy but do not do anything evil, at least onscreen. After some initial friction, Ueda managed to earn their respect.
- Nerves of Steel: Ueda almost never loses his calmness. He could stare down a katana pointed at him and remained impeccably polite when kidnapped by a yakuza boss.
- Nice Guy: Ueda. He can get along with everyone (sans criminals he caught red-handed, of course) and is a textbook example of Chronic Hero Syndrome. It's his main appeal.
- One Head Taller: Ueda is a full head taller than Aki, this gives off the impression that Aki is short, Aki is actually 175cm tall, making him "tall" by Japanese standards, it's just when he stands next to Ueda he seems really short.
- Kisaragi is a head taller than Yamase.
- Averted with Hidaka and Koyama, who are roughly the same height.
- Open-Minded Parent: Aki's parents do not bat an eyelash when their son falls for another guy. Being yakuza, they're more miffed that the person in question is a policeman of all things, but take a liking to Ueda nonetheless.
- In one of the side stories, an elder son tells his parents he wants to move out because of his job, but actually he's starting to lose control over his feelings for his younger stepbrother. His parents promptly call him out and say it's okay.
- Rescue Romance: Essentially what starts Tomoharu and Aki's relationship, Tomoharu helped Aki in the first chapter by helping him deal with a pervert and Aki falls for him. Tomoharu is reluctant to think the feelings are genuine because he feels Aki only fell for him because he helped him. Later in the first chapter, the two get abducted and Aki saves Tomoharu and the two escape, Tomoharu falls for Aki as a result, even mentioning that he could be feeling "Savior Love," but decides it's genuine and the two start dating.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Ryou, somewhat, he has deep, long-running feelings for Aki, though he didn't win Aki, he did get a pretty long kiss from him; also saying before departing that if Tomoharu makes Aki cry, he will take Aki away from him.
- Secret Keeper: Natsuki becomes this to Ueda and Aki after witnessing them kiss.
- Seme: Ueda, Kisaragi, and Koyama and Hidaka both want to be seme, which one who will be is still a mystery.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Aki and his mother are very similar in appearance and personality. Natsuki looks like a younger Ueda.
- Tsundere: Aki is a Type B, he's openly affectionate towards Ueda, but he does get shy from time to time; additionally he really only shows his deredere side to Tomoharu and everyone else receives his tsuntsun, but Tomoharu receives the tsuntsun side when he calls Aki cute.
- Uke: Aki, Yamase, and neither Koyama or Hidaka want to be uke and instead both want to be Seme, so which one will fill this role hasn't been established yet.
- Violently Protective Boyfriend: Aki once jumped on a man and pounded his face in when Tomoharu got stabbed in the hand protecting him. Tomoharu, not as apparent or as violently as Aki, but if anyone hurts Aki in Tomoharu's presence, it won't be pretty.