Drug & Drop
is a manga written by CLAMP
that is currently being serialized by the magazine Young Ace
. Originally titled Legal Drug
during its serialization in Monthly Asuka
, it went into hiatus in 2003, and came back in 2011 in a different magazine.
The story follows Kazahaya Kudo, a young man who collapses in the snow after running away from home and thinks that he doesn't want to die. He is found by Rikuo Himura, who takes him to the Green Drugstore, where he gets a job from Kakei, the eccentric owner. Since both guys have supernatural powers, they take on "special" cases on the side that never go as smoothly as they'd hoped. There's also the beginnings of a Myth Arc
in play, with Kazahaya hiding from his twin sister, Kei, Rikuo searching for a mysterious woman named Tsukiko, and Kakei and his lover, Saiga, preparing for something
that's looming over the horizon. And it all comes with the boatloads of subtext
and Ho Yay
that you'd expect from most of CLAMP's work.
Formerly available from Tokyopop as Legal Drug
Not to be confused with the use of legal drugs in a work; that's a G-Rated Drug
Contains Examples of:
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Kazahaya gets teased a lot about this, though given how incredibly sheltered he was growing up, his only potential partner would have been his sister.
- Animal Motif: Kazahaya is often compared with a cat, and he himself said that his sister is very "cat-like".
- Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend: In spite of his spectacles and accusations of a sadistic streak, Kakei isn't one.
- Bishie Sparkle: Kakei has this in Kazahaya's head.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Kakei is a mild example. Rikuo and Saiga are both well aware of his sadistic streak, but Kazahaya still hasn't caught on to the fact that if Kakei is smiling, he is not going to have a good day. He does seem to genuinely care about the boys, though.
- It could be just a really well kept fašade given the theories and hints that Kakei may actually be the the very sweet, Yamato Nadeshiko from Wish, Hisui.
- Confirmed in Drug and Drop where we see Kakei and Saiga transform into Hisui and Kokuyou and a flashback chapter shows how they came to have the shop.
- Bloodbath Villain Origin: Kei was kidnapped when the two siblings sneaked out their cult's surveillance. After a month they found her and bring her back; Kazahaya then sees her cover with the blood of the kidnappers she killed because they were keeping her away from him. After that everything went downhill.
- Blood-Splattered Wedding Dress: Kei's kimono is splattered with Rikuo's blood after she "gather some information" about Kazahaya from him.
- Cain and Abel: We're not really sure what their deal is, but it's implied that Kazahaya ran away from home in order to avoid something that would have eventually pitted him and Kei against each other...maybe. Later revealed that he ran away because the cult that keep them locked was planning to kill one of them; as he's not planning to die, escaping was the only option to save himself and Kei.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys
- Chains Of Love: In the official artwork.
- Chekhov M.I.A.: Tsukiko, who disappeared without a trace and left a blood-splattered room behind her. Rikuo's convinced that she is alive out there somewhere, but we probably won't be learning her official status anytime soon.
- Chick Magnet: Rikuo.
- Continuity Cameo: Besides Kazahaya and Rikou making cameos in xxxHolic, characters from other CLAMP series have shown up in this series.
- In the 2nd CCS movie Touya is seen wearing the Wish bunny mascot suit for work. Guess which store the mascot is for.
- In the second chapter of Drug & Drop, Watanuki appears as owner of Yuuko's shop, tying into the end of xxxHolic. Incidentally, given that there is a reference made about the urn that was retrieved back when the series was Legal Drug, one must wonder how much time had passed since then in both series up until the point where they met again.
- In chapter 9 of Legal Drug, Kazahaya meets Hina at her high school graduation and gives her a new outfit from recurring CLAMP brand name Piffle Princess in exchange for her school uniform. When Hina tells Shirou about it shortly afterward, he isn't too thrilled with how she blithely accepted some random stranger's request for her uniform, no questions asked.
- In chapter 9 of Drug & Drop Kazahaya meets Kohaku, the clumsy angel from Wish who, somehow, awakened early from his/her 100 years of slumber.
- Cooldown Hug: Kakei gives one to Kazahaya to calming down over Rikuo's injuries and remembers him that he's there to support him. Counts as a Heartwarming Moment and another hint that Kakei may be Hisui.
- Cool Shades: Saiga.
- Creepy Crows: Kazahaya's sister Kei uses crows to spy on him.
- Creepy Twins: Kazahaya is not one, but Kei has enough creepy for both.
- Crossover: subtly with xxxHolic, and more blatantly with Wish.
- Cute Kitten: A shapeshifting one is the McGuffin for one of the boys' jobs.
- The Dreaded: After she proved that she's very comfortable with killing Kei becomes this. Nobody is bold enough to go against her will.
- Disguised in Drag: Kazahaya ends up in drag as part of his side jobs far too often for his liking.
- The Ditz: Kazahaya.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Kazahaya.
- The Empath: Kazahaya
- Festival Episode
- Identical Stranger: In chapter 10 of Drug & Drop, Kakei and Saiga were compared to Hisui and Kokuyou by Kazahaya. Subverted.
- Kimono Is Traditional: Kei is always wearing kimono. Also a young Kazahaya in flashbacks.
- Like Cannot Cut Like: Kazahaya and Kei couldn't see each others past and future as their powers are very alike.
- Meaningful Name: "Kazahaya, your name is like a warning. It's telling you that one day you might disappear, just like the wind." Whether this will come true or not is yet to be seen, but he's determined to survive no matter what.
- Name's the Same: Kohaku was surprised that Kazahaya had the same family name that Shuuichiro Kudou (the man Kohaku fell in love with) and asked if he knows him. It may be relevant.
- No Social Skills: Kazahaya.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Kakei while he reveals he's Hisui.
- Psychic Powers:
- Mind over Matter: Rikuo.
- Seers: Kakei. After an encounter with a vampire-like creature that can tell the future, Kazahaya apparently gains this ability.
- Kei at the other hand, is a straight example, since she sees pictures of the future out of persons or objects.
- Rape as Drama: Nayuki's backstory
- Real Men Wear Pink: Saiga cooks and sews.
- The Reveal: Saiga and Kakei ARE Kokuyo and Hisui.
- Situational Sexuality: The entire student body of the boarding school in the third volume. As Nayuki explains, they're horny teenage boys completely cut off from female contact, so who else are they going to turn to?
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Kazahaya and Rikuo, naturally.
- Sleepyhead: Saiga spends half his scenes asleep on Kakei's sofa (and sometimes while resting his head in Kakei's lap.) Fans have speculated that it's because he can psychically search for things or people--like Tsukiko--in his sleep.
- Smoking Is Cool: Saiga.
- Spider-Sense: Kakei.
- Stepford Smiler: Nayuki, to the point where his soul manifests outside of his body to let his true feelings be known.
- Stoic Spectacles: Kakei.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Rikuo and Saiga.
- Traumatic Haircut: Kei suffers one after she was kidnapped as a child.
- Tsundere: Rikuo. As Saiga puts it, Kazahaya is important to him but he will never admit it.
- Also Kazahaya himself. When Kohaku asks him if he has someone so important to him that he wants to grant that person's wish just because it's that person's, Kazahaya automatically thinks of Rikuo...and then fiercely tries to deny it.
- Yandere: Kei. Oh good Lord, Kei. The fact that she's a yandere over her brother just makes it more disturbing.
: Like this thread, Kei and Kazahaya are tightly linked, if someone ever pull us apart *smiles* I'll never forgive them!
- Kei was the one who attacked Rikuo to get information about Kazahaya's whereabouts.
- She killed her kidnappers because they didn't let her return to her brother's side or didn't bring her borhter to her side.