, by Tsukiji Nao, is a historical shoujo
manga set in the Meiji era, featuring Yoshiwara Shiro, a sexy umbrella maker with a distinct hatred of underwear, and Yamada Kojiro, an uptight but kind-hearted police officer.
Kojiro makes it his life's goal to teach Shiro the concept of basic decency, and they become unlikely friends along the way. Nevertheless, hitches arrive in the form of gruesome murders, abductions and other strange occurrences, and Kojiro and Shiro must solve each mystery and resolve their conundrums together.
is especially notable for its impossibly detailed art, as well as the sheer quantity of steaming Fanservice
and innuendo. It's so blatant that the series could almost be considered as a BL
on its own, though it never crosses that line.
There are currently seven volumes released in Japan.
Adekan provides examples of:
- Anything That Moves: Anri! An extra chapter has him falling for/proposing to a panda. Yeah.
- Awesome, but Impractical: All of Shiro's creations; "umbrellas" plus accessories which are so flowery and wonderfully intricate... But no one in their right mind would be caught dead using them. Explains why business is so terrible most of the time.
- Badass: Kojiro and Shiro, in action and both kicking ass.
- Berserk Button: For Kojiro, don't even think about harming Shiro, and vice versa.
- Kill any of Shiro's girlfriends, especially the ones he actually cares for, and he will utterly lose it, and you will die.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Shiro is normally a very friendly person, but if you do anything to piss him off...
- Bishounen: Anri and Shiro, beautiful and effeminate. Enough said.
- Body Sushi: Was served to Shiro on a muscular drag queen's body, resulting in much foaming at the mouth.
- Chick Magnet: Shiro and Anri, and sometimes Kojiro to an extent. The girls all swarm after them in droves. Even men are not immune.
- Crossdresser: Poor Shiro.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Shiro and Anri have a long shared history, and not much of it was happy, judging by the flashbacks.
- Even Kojiro doesn't seem to be exempt from this, for his memories have been wiped, and it seems that he's been involved with Anri and Shiro as children.
- Declaration of Protection: While not exactly declared or even said aloud, Kojiro wishes for nothing more than to protect Shiro.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Shiro can hardly be defined as a man, with those heavy-lidded eyes, that long black hair, and that feminine face shape and body. He's often been mistaken for a woman, especially when decked out in full costume.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Proven when a man blatantly hits on Shiro, touching his face and comparing his eyes to ”dewdrops”. To be fair, Shiro was turning up the sex appeal in order to manipulate him. Turns out that the man intended to capture Shiro for his beauty, planning to sell his services in prostitution.
- Saburouta's friend and co-worker Wakabayashi has admitted to "fucking Shiro at least fifty times" in his mind.
- Anri wants them back
- Fanservice: The Ho Yay is rampant, and there are plenty of half-naked men prancing about in suggestive positions.
- Girl in a Box: Quite literally.
- Godiva Hair: When Kusuko beckons to her father and asks him to "learn with her", stark naked.
- Heroic BSOD: After burying Sae. Shiro doesn't fly into a rage, but his half-insane expression is far scarier.
- Hot-Blooded: Kojiro.
- Hidden Weapons: Shiro has knives, collapsible swords and a collection of assorted weaponry strapped on his person.
- So does Anri, and other members of their gang.
- I Just Want to Be You: All three women of the Mermaid arc were extremely jealous of one another for various reasons, but all three hid their true feelings. It's revealed later that they each planned on murdering their rival on the very same day.
- Lovable Coward: Saburouta, although he does have his moments, especially when it's Kojiro in danger.
- Madness Mantra: "Onna-neko... help me... onna-neko..."
- Monster of the Week: Or Villain/Problem Of The Chapter, as each chapter is a mini self-enclosed arc, with the main issue usually resolved before the chapter closes. Also means that there are quite a few One Shot Characters.
- Not What It Looks Like: In the very first chapter. Kojiro walks into Shiro's house to see a woman bending over him whilst he is stark naked. Turns out that she was just covering him up.
- Overprotective Dad: Kusuko's father would do anything for her. He would even lock her inside a box for the entirety of her life, just to shield her from outside influences.
- Pixellation: ”Accidents” happen, but we are spared a view of Shiro's crotch by a slapped-on "18+" and pile of pixels.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Kojiro to Shiro, pertaining to loincloths. Also a Running Gag.
- Scenery Porn
- Shout-Out: Saburouta's distinctive hairstyle is a homage to Goku from Dragon Ball Z.
- Super-Deformed: Many chibis in the funny scenes.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Both Shiro and Kojiro could qualify as this.
- Villainous Breakdown: Happens all too often as the antagonists of each arc dramatically break down and confess their motives.
- Would Hurt a Child: One woman would murder babies for money and love.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Kojiro's little sister Aguri is implied to be one, frequently catching Kojiro and Shiro in compromising positions and laughing when Kojiro stutters in embarrassment and denies it.