Creator / Yuu Watase
A very prolific and well-known mangaka
, Yuu Watase (born March 5, 1970) is best known as the creator of Fushigi Yuugi
and Ceres Celestial Legend
, both of which have been adapted into anime. She made her debut in 1989 with the oneshot Pajama de Ojama
(An Interlude in Pyjamas
) and is predominantly a writer of shoujo
series, although she has recently begun branching out into other demographics, including shounen
) and yaoi
). She has also written some novels as well, according to The Other Wiki
Her first works were typically characterized by love triangles, high levels of melodrama (specially during the original Fushigi Yuugi
era), drawn out, almost laughably sappy
love scenes, and of course, plenty of bishonen
On the other hand, when she does
decide to go Darker and Edgier
, she does so hardcore
: Sakura Gari
, Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden
and Ceres Celestial Legend
have plenty of bishonen, melodrama and love triangles, but the utterly twisted and psychologically driven storyline has had people refer to her as a potential Magnificent Bitch
Some of her manga works include:
Tropes Commonly Associated within Watase's works:
- Art Evolution: Big time. The biggest development was done during Ceres Celestial Legend. Her characters, though still similar to each other, have become more rounded. And she deliberately changed her style for Sakura Gari and Arata Kangatari respectively.
- Anyone Can Die: Just don't get too attached to any character apart of the lead. Just in case. Literally half the cast of Fushigi Yuugi are dead by the end.
- Attempted Rape
- Break the Cutie
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: She loves this trope with a passion! In half of her works there's always some reason for the two leads not hooking up. Either the female lead needs to stay a virgin, or one of the characters is cursed, or not a real human, and so on, so on.
- Costume Porn: First, we had the Miko clothes in Fushigi Yuugi. Then we had Aya's pretty school uniform in Ceres Celestial Legend. Then we have the Amawakuni clothing in Arata Kangatari.
- Darker and Edgier: Her career went this way starting with Ceres Celestial Legend. Case in point, Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden is much more serious and dramatic than the original Fushigi Yuugi. And then there's Sakura Gari...
- First Girl Wins, First Guy Wins
- Imperial Japan during The Roaring '20s: Both Sakura Gari (1920) and Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden (1923) take place in this timeframe. Fushigi Yuugi Byakko Ibun is supposed to happen few years after Genbu Kaiden, but that may go straight-up into The Thirties.
- Love Dodecahedron: She is the master of this.
- Only Six Faces: Take a look at some of the major male characters from her works, spanning from early series Fushigi Yuugi to her more recent Absolute Boyfriend. Most of them have the same exact face, and their hairstyles are also very similar. Same goes for her female characters, although they're a bit more distinguishable (usually). Although as stated above, she has improved over the years.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Her Official Couples must go through LOTS of shit to stay together. And even then, they don't get the guarantee that they won't be separated.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Has been known to ship her own male characters in the comments sections of her various manga and claimed to be disappointed at not seeing fanfics featuring her preferred couplings. Her foray into actual yaoi surprised no-one.