is a Shōjo (Demographic)
manga written by Yuu Watase
, author of Ceres Celestial Legend
and Fushigi Yuugi
. It's licensed by Viz Media
Alice Seno is a shy girl, afraid to speak her mind. Her older sister, Mayura, seems to outshine her in everything. Everything changes when Alice saves a magical rabbit girl, Nyozeka, from being hit by a car. Nyozeka has been waiting for her to carry and use the Lotis Words, magical words that possess great powers.
However, with great power Comes Great Responsibility
, as Alice soon discovers. When she and Mayura both fall in love with Kyo Wakamiya, they argue. Alice angrily wishes her sister would disappear...and she does. Nyozeka tells Alice that Mayura has fallen prey to the Maram Words, words of darkness, and the only way to set things right is for her to use the Lotis Words and save her sister from the dark.
Things soon get even more complicated. Kyo is revealed to be a potential Lotis Master, and Frey, a guide chosen to lead them, seems more interested in catching girls than defeating the Maram. And Mayura may not go willingly...
This manga contains examples of:
- The Ace: Alice sees Mayura as this, and resents her for it.
- Alice Allusion: The main character's name, Alice, and the fact that one of Nyozeka's forms is a white rabbit.
- Almighty Janitor: Billy works as a postman.
- Alpha Bitch: Oishi. Justified, as she's infected by Mara.
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: Darva was originally Master Lotsuan's disciple.
- Attempted Rape: Tetsuya to Alice. Kyo stops him at first, and in the Lotis World when he tries it again, Alice herself stops him.
- Oishi tries something similar on Kyo, but he rebuffs her.
- Big Bad: Darva.
- Big Sister Instinct: Inverted. Mayura sets Alice up with a boy she doesn't know personally because she's afraid Alice is becoming too close to Kyo. When the boy tries to rape Alice—and Kyo saves her—instead of feeling guilt for putting her younger sister in a bad situation Mayura blames Alice for making Kyo get violent.
- Blondes are Evil: Darva's humanoid form, Oishi, and Mayura.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Mayura curses Kyo so that if he ever hears a word of love from Alice he will die.
- The Chosen One: Alice and Kyo are the Legendary Neo-Masters charged with finding the Lost Word.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Mayura.
- Cool Shades: Billy.
- The Corruption: Mara and the Maram Words.
- Creepy Child: The Maram demon that looks like a young Alice.
- Dark Magical Girl: Mayura, played up a lot in the art depicting her in black.
- Die or Fly: Alice and Kyo learn "Vimuku", which gives them wings, while falling to their deaths.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Mayura engages in this a lot. Though, she is controlled by Darva.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Darva; even the translators confused him for a woman at first.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Face-Heel Turn: Mayura.
- Faking Amnesia: Mayura in Volume 3.
- Genki Girl: Mei Lin.
- The Generic Guy: Billy and Mei Lin have shades of this, as the author deliberately withheld their backstories.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: This is Oishi's motivation.
- I Wished You Were Dead: Almost. Alice wishes for Mayura to disappear, causing her to enter the Maram world.
- Kyo played this trope straight in regards to his father.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: Going to the Inner Heart.
- Kaiju: Darva's true form.
- Kill 'em All: Happens to Billy, Frey, Chris, Mei Lin, and Nyozeka. They get better.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Frey; he's also insistent that Alice marry him.
- Magical Girl: Alice and her friends are these, going into the "Inner Heart" to defeat the evil within.
- Nightmare Dreams: Alice has these after Mayura disappears.
- Parents as People: Alice's parents are both affected by the Maram, and after she saves them they try to support her efforts more.
- Poor Communication Kills: Alice being unwilling to speak her mind drives some of Mayura's resentment.
- On the flip side, Mayura wouldn't have been sent away had she not done a full-screening on the boy she was going to let Alice hook up with. Alice was trying her best to explain that the boy was trying to force himself upon her and Kyo stopped him just in time, but no. Alice then makes her sister disappear.
- Power Gives You Wings: The word "Vimuku" has connotations of wings, and it gives Alice and Kyo the strength to fly while saving Mayura.
- Precision F-Strike: Mayura lets loose one of these at the end of the second volume, as she has been corrupted by the Mara.
- Primal Fear: Mayura plays on these, giving Alice's mother a disease and transporting her father away, with the intention of leaving her all alone.
- Reincarnation: Nyozeka's ghost tells Alice that she will be reborn as Alice and Kyo's daughter.
- The English Volume 7 has her just telling Alice she's already chosen her human form.
- Shifting Sand Land: Oishi's Inner Heart is this.
- Shrinking Violet: Alice, at first.
- Sibling Rivalry: Between Alice and Mayura.
- The Stoic: Chris.
- Sweet Tooth: Chris, normally a serious, almost stoic boy, does a 180 when he eats sweets. He even bit Frey's hand once because it smelled sweet.
- Tongue Tied: Mayura magically "forbids" Alice to tell Kyo about her feelings for him - and about the spell she uses to do this.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Frey loves jam, and apparently would even put in on salad.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: After slowly turning evil, and being rescued from Darva in Volume 3, Mayura forgets everything. Or so she pretends.
- Unexplained Recovery: All the other Lotis Masters get better after seemingly being killed by Darva. Billy's only explanation is "We don't die so easily."
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: The boy that Mayura suggest to be her sister's boyfriend tries to force himself upon Alice. Kyo comes in and saves Alice from being assaulted but Mayura blames Alice for causing Kyo to lash out. Now tell me, who was the one who set Alice up with the boy?
- Warrior Therapist: After cleansing the Mara, Alice tells the person their true feelings to help them heal.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Chris.
- Words Can Break My Bones: The Lotis and Maram Words can help or hurt people.