is a Boys Love
manga by Junjou Romantica
's creator Shungiku Nakamura
. It is consisted of three interrelated oneshots revolving around the eponymous Hybrid Child, dolls that can gain emotions and grow when given human affections. The first story is about a good-natured but lazy young man with the abandoned Hybrid Child he adopted, the second is about a former soldier, and the last covers the backstory of the creator of the Hybrid Children.
This manga is licensed and available in English.
An anime adaptation was announced in 2011. The anime cast differs from the drama cd cast.
Hybrid Child presents examples of:
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Kuroda always teased and put down his love interest Tsukishima, to which the latter responded violently.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Kuroda and Tsukishima clearly loved each other but they never seemed able to express their feelings directly until their final moments together.
- Downer Ending
- Heroic Sacrifice: Tsukishima took the responsibility and committed seppuku to save his clan after they lost the war.
- Magical Realism: The setting is reminiscent of Meiji era but nothing less than magic can explain the existence of the Hybrid Children.
- Replacement Goldfish: The prototype Hybrid Child created by Kuroda looked just like his dead lover. His friend Seya was justifiably disturbed.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Seya is tormented by what he saw and did in the war.
- Starcrossed Lovers: Kuroda and Tsukishima.