- The falling machine.
- The filing system.
- "Oh, help. I-hav-been-ceptured-by-a-clenk. Help. Help."
- "Leedle recoil problem dere, sir!"
- Agatha's reaction to Barry first giving her the locket just sums up the worldview these people have so well. Keep in mind Agatha was five at the time...
Barry: Now, Agatha — this is important. You must always wear this.
Agatha: But why?
Barry: Because... because as long as you do, your parents can...protect you.
Agatha: But how can they protect me if they're not here? That's illogical.
Barry: Um, it's...science.
Agatha: Ah, you mean you'll explain it to me once I have a sufficiently advanced background education.
Barry: Er... yes.
- Doubles as a tear-jerker if you know what the locket does to protect her:
Agatha: Uncle Barry—are you crying?
- Othar's reaction here.
Othar: No one ever takes me to parties.
Gorb: Hokay, ve haff our own. You ken be de pinata!
- Bang, right from the moment she "introduces" herself.
Ta-daa! I am here!
- Lucrezia's facial expression in the last panel here.
- Everything about this page.
- Anything with the Jagers probably qualifies as one of these for someone.
— vos ve supposed to catch
- That's a messed-up ecosystem, man.
- Dupree has her broken jaw wired shut.
Klaus: Good Heavens. I wouldn't miss this for the world!
- "Invade In Front"
- When Agatha's mini-clanks have a new spark-clank master, the other sparks nearby start worrying. "They are building! Designing! Spitting in the face of the creator! Warping science!" "...so..." "They're taking our jobs!"
- "We are doomed." "DOOOOOMED." "DOOOOOMED!"
- Agatha's reaction to her first cup of coffee. Spark Roast coffee sequence, complete with Von Mekkan's "PERFECT SAUCER!" and "Vid a Nize Kick!".
- Coffee shop report scene
Vole: Dere haff been three explosions so far, sir.
Gil: [happily] Agatha!
- The second coffee shop report scene.
- Agatha's "alibi" for why she was sent to Castle Heterodyne.
Sanaa: Really? Oh, man, we need a good cook! Guy doing it now's a mechanic - and he's a complete idiot. I'd rather eat his engines. ... So - what did you do to wind up here, anyway?
Agatha: Poisoned thirty-seven people — who complained about my cooking.
- After utterly kicking the crap out of Vole, Gilgamesh responds to Dimo's appreciation of his methodology.
Gilgamesh: My father once wrote a monograph on how to communicate in the workplace.
Dimo: ...iz dat so?
Gilgamesh: All seven Popes ordered it burned.
- Gil's Fabulous Hat: "Hey- NIZE HAT!" "That's it. Everything's going to go boom."
- Technically they're called "fun-sized mobile agony and death dispensers."
- Gil and his friends from Castle Wulfenbach have just demonstrated why Sparks under the influence of their own alcoholic creations are up there among the most hilarious things ever: "We forgot the crowd!"
- And when they return with a crowd (one which, admittedly, thinks Gil is a traveling circus performer):
Theo: Gil, you're making me nervous.
Gil: How can that be? A jolly entertainer like myself? A spreader of mirth?
Theo: At least stop smiling. It's creepy.
Gil: But everyone is having such a good time!
Theo: If you look like a demented idiot, no-one will take you seriously.
Gil: But no-one does that now!
- Cinderella. Jager. Ugly. Sisters.
- "I LUFF my outfit! Mine iz de BIGGEST HAT in de SHOW!"
- Mechanicsburg, basically. The final panel of this strip, in particular.
- Agatha's reaction to violence directed against the Castle.
Agatha: Hey, you kids! STOP HITTING MY HOUSE!
- Next strip: it looks like Mechanicsburg wholeheartedly ships Agatha/Gil. Complete with Stop Helping Me! from Gil, though naturally Zeetha is having way too much fun to stop.
- This strip, if you're familiar with Baba Yaga and Russian fairy tales.
Agatha: Why do you even bother keeping this running?
Circus Member: We need the eggs.
- The doctor taking care of Klaus, right here.
- Pointing out to an insane A.I. that it's being illogical only encourages it.
- Agatha sits down to dinner with the local royalty and inexplicably begins telling them everything about herself (including things she didn't even tell the carnival-folk she's been traveling with), then falls face-down into her torte. Turns out she's been slipped truth-serum in her wine. As she's being dragged off, she tells the prince she thinks he's cute.
- A special mention for the men carrying Anevka's squishy bits.
Oggie: Who vants to be my friend?!
Geisterdamen: [draw swords, hissing]
Henchmen: [immediately raise their hands]
- The castle's rather... unique interpretation of human romance.
- "I love Christmas!"
Mittlemind: Oh, please! What do you all take me for? I'm obviously not talking about the control group!
- The last three panels of this strip pretty much sum up the entire mentality behind the comic.
- That smug condescending snake Tarvek. "You know him?"
- Tarvek turning green with a delirious, but appropriate comment.
- ...most likely.
- Moloch, from Vol.7 and up. Highly Genre Savvy and also the only non-spark (and thereby the least insane one) of the main cast; always the one to come up with practical solutions to the problems at hand; which drives the sparks mad. Also, The bucket.
- Zeuxippe, granddaughter of Old Man Death. Maxim hits on her after she hits him, and offers a ride...
On my horze! Iz a nize horze!
- Violetta playing a chaperone:
- CHOPHEAD TINYBITS! *spak!*
- If this is not a meme yet, it needs to be.
- How is Zola still moving? This is how.
- You know that trick with laser pointers and cats? So does Agatha.
- This one.
: He'll learn
. 'specially since, when she punches
, she puts her hips into it
- Agatha responding to speculation: "WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU TWO?! ARE YOU TWELVE?!"
- Violetta asking hesitantly, "Can I have a pretty dress too?"
- Hole in the wall? Been done. Hole in the wall and the turret behind it? Much better. Hole in the wall, the turret, and a faraway mountain? Inspired.
- Ferretina and the Fashion Clank skipping off into the sunset - (or wheeling, rather, in the Clank's case) - amidst a pink background of flowers and butterflies at the end of Revenge of the Weasel Queen. Everyone else staring in shock just adds to the hilarity.
- Regarding who has been playing the fool around whom, and who wasn't playing the fool.
- The one thing that can make even supergenius adventure heroes back off? A really ugly spider the size of a human head.
Agatha: Well, we've got to do something.
Gil: Yeah, this is just embarrassing everybody.
- This strip.
Agatha: And then the cascade effect that usually kills everyone and sets the lab on fire probably won't even have a chance to begin! This has a small, but fascinating chance of actually working! Let's do it!
Gil: This'll be great! I can get killing him out of my system and give him a hard time about it later!
- Othar's Twitter: a vision of this mad world from Mr. Sanity-Optional himself.
- In particular, the moment where he has to get out of Paris quickly, and so goes to a fancy restaurant, meticulously orders an exquisitely elaborate meal, and when it arrives asks for a bottle of ketchup. "We are tossed out the city gates less that 3 minutes later."
- "...Then one day, while sacking a castle, I was ravished by a wild princess..."
- That whole arc is arguably a crowning moment of funny for the entire series.
- "Now I vill not just keel HYU - Now I keel EFFERYVUN! ....Hey....Dot is verra gud coffee."
- This page.
Castle: You are now nearing what I believe to be a major problem area.
Tarvek: Um- You think?
Gil: Wait. This is Castle Heterodyne. Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
Castle: FIRE?! AAHHH!! PUT IT OUT! SAVE MEEEE!
Tarvek: ...apparently not.
- And it was on purpose. The Castle just forgot.
- Lucrezia is very Genre Savvy.
- How they find the nervous system connections in the library.
So all we
have to do is figure out where an evil insane genius would put a secret room
True. Well, let's try to think like a diabolical, paranoid, amoral megalomaniac. ...where would you
put it? Tarvek:
Oh. Well, here.
Thanks, Tarvek! Tarvek:
Now just a minute!
Gil: You're up to something.
Tarvek: What makes you think I'm—
Gil: You're breathing.
- "Well, there's always the torture room."
- The man who, on the whole, is absolutely unfazed at the prospect of being beaten and tortured copiously has one thing he cannot stand: being forced to stand around in a waiting room that is out of waiting numbers and has inappropriate music.
- Dimo admits he was listening at the door "like a grett beeg sneeky pents". And the reaction?
General Zog: Dimo! Hy am shocked at dis behavior!
Boris Dolokhov: Still, it was rather clever of him...
Zog: Hy said hy vos shocked!
- General Khrizhan's idea for getting the Other out of Agatha's head. He knows how pipple vork!
- Vanamonde being led home by an assistant.
- Tarvek is constantly having to put up with Violetta's painful remonstrations whenever she's angry with him, and because she's so much more physically powerful, he has to put up with it. Until he changes the rules.
- "Hmf. Well, if we threw in every minion we have, we might take out one of them." "That's a terrible plan!" "Thank you, sir!" "There's another twenty of them! We don't have enough minions!" "Er...."
- "Excuse me? Those are my Fun-Sized Mobile Agony And Death Dispensers. They're works of art!"
- "Yes, please." "Shot op, hyu."
- "Vot der dumboozle?"
- "We're....going to have to break out those little iron cages for their children, aren't we?" "Uh-huh."
- Baron Oublenmach is utterly convinced that the act of ringing the Doom Bell will open the Heterodyne treasure vault, so that he can loot it. Unfortunately, as he actually gets to the top of the bell tower, he begins to realize that he may have not thought this through. The Castle Heterodyne's reaction is the best part, though von Mekkan's utter Genre Blindness compares.
Vanamonde von Mekkan
: ...I mean, when all's said and done, it's just a bell, right? Castle Heterodyne
: I love this part.
- All misunderstandings over Mamma Gkika's, even when standing right before it.
: ...in a beer hall. Gil
: It's not just a beer hall! Sleipnir
: [seeing a barmaid]
It'd better be
just a beer hall!
- Agatha is worried she won't be a good ruler. Her seneschal assures her that she's got fifty generations of lowered expectations working for her.
Councillor 1: Two minutes, and she hasn't killed anyone!
Councillor 2: A new record!
- Othar is a fountain of these.
You found him? Othar:
But of course! Allow me to present Gilgamesh Wulfenbach— [beat] Othar:
—master of disguise!
- Tarvek's expression just puts icing on the cake.
- Franz, the dragon guardian of the Heterodynes' vault. His grumpy attitude makes him a walking laugh dispenser. First in his initial appearance in the cellars, then when he rewards Baron Oublenmach (Oublenmach is priceless here too), and then when he smashes a huge war-clank with the treasure bag. "Hey! I said rejoice!"
- Vole's expression when he finds out Gil's plans for him. Plus the pure audacity of Gil's plans.
- Check out the third panel. Agatha now has a new sonic pitchfork thing...the shape of which does not exist!
- A small one, but when the 2/20/12 comic was first put up, it used "Hanger" instead of "Hangar". Whoops. The goof has since been corrected.
- DuPree finds out what Vole likes best.
- Gil's new and improved (and untested) falling machine.
Gil: I assure you, even if it doesn't "fly," exactly, it should reach the ground in one piece long before it explodes.
- Gil's theatrics when dealing with Tarvek and Othar, as he shoves Tarvek in the falling machine 2.0, baits Othar into it, and sends them plummeting to Agatha's aid.
: We must flee- for it is none other than Othar Tryggvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!
Vanquisher of eeeevil! Othar
: Hey now! You
make it sound absurd! Gil
: We will make a daring escape
in my amazing flying machine
: Not the flying machine! Not the flying machine
- The background event to hearing Klaus' story repeated. Apparently Tarvek is the only one who can actually like Foglio's storytelling.
- "A charming pair of INNOCENT HOSTAGES!"
- "Special trousers. Very heroic."
- "[Airman Higgs] dragged your father and Dupree ashore, where he encountered a nesting goose—which broke his other arm."
- "Here's your boot, your majesty."
- Meet Tarvek's new fan club. EEEEEEE!
- Tarvek has been assuming himself somewhat disposable for a little while now. Since no one bothered to tell Agatha, this page happens.
Agatha: What are we supposed to do if you go and get yourself killed?!
Tarvek: Agatha! I...I...um...what...whatever you want?
- During the "Revenge of the Weasel Queen" side arc, when Jorf mentions the village sending for Othar Tryggvassen.
- Battering Ram. Oh, Phil...
- Von Zinzer talks about his crush on Sanaa with Snaug.
- Von Zinzer's Genre Savviness does not help him this time....
Agatha: You think he'd learn.
- Othar takes apart a clank to find a part:
It needs one of those... ah, one of those... oh, how embarrassing. It's gone completely out of my head. Hold on. [SMASH! RRRIP! BASH! Rummage Rummage]
You know, one of these!
- Agatha's newly modified lightning stick/death ray accidentally blows up the tower they fought their way across town to get to. But that's not the funny part. The funny part is Von Zinzer's comment:
Von Zinzer: ...How is it possible that this could surprise any of you people?
- "Of course I'm distraught! They hurt my weasels!"
- Von Zinzer helps Von Mekkhan realize that they are really screwed up.
- Father and son prove an entertaining duo.
- Higgs comes to a realisation...
- The Jager General utilizing a healthy heaping of Loophole Abuse to win the fighting contest.
General: Hmf. Iz still cheating, but in der GOOT way.
- Agatha becomes Genre Savvy.
- You can see the monster is quite miffed at being robbed of his fun.
- And then the monster's Genre Blind creator comes in....
- And the monster looks to Agatha for confirmation!
- Tweedle is trying to caution his sister of Agatha's competence:
- Da Boyz on relationships
Maxim: Excellent! Hy vill teach him how to impress de gorlz!
Oggie: Hy vill teach him about de birds ud de veasles!
Dimo: [whispering] Und Hy vill teach him how to avoid those two.
Jenka: Ah. Den he might have a chence.
- The mere concept of Schweincopters!
- Sparkhunds chasing Agatha and co. Or more specifically, Krosp. "Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat! Caaaat!"
- Agatha's swan sleigh pulls out a Wave Motion Gun.
Is...is that... Tweedle: [face in his hands]
Grandmother's old party sleigh. Yes. Ishtvan:
Could it always
do that? Tweedle:
How should I
know? Knowing my grandmother's parties
- Punch is no longer The Speechless! In fact.... it's actually kind of hard to make him shut up.
- Gil, after effortlessly beating the crap out of Martellus, stomping him in the face repeatedly, and then ordering him to be killed if he speaks again, asks Violetta why she's terrified of him.
- Ah, the very act of beating Martellus also counts. After making a surprised face, we get two panels of him stomping on the guy with a very rage-filled expression. And considering how much of an ass Martellus is, this random showcase of violence is very funny.
- A good spark always comes prepared.
- Gil and Tarvek's sequence of throwing each other out of the way.
- The storyteller's oubliette song. And...the entire rest of the scene.
- Jenka and da Boyz help Gil with the 'Mysterious Disappearance After the Battle' ending.
Jenka: Iz dis de first time hy faced down an entire army all by hyuself vit a veapon hyu vasn't sure vos gonna vork?
Gil: Well, yes...
Jenka: Vell den. Dot's just hyu body bein' all surprized hyu ain't all blowed up and dead! Next time, hyu von't even blink!
Gil: Next... I really think I have to lie down now.
- As Gil is trying to find Agatha, he picks up one of the seven leads Dupree found... But this one leads to a Jäger in a blonde wig.
Hokay, sveethot! Here hy iz! Now dis iz de part vere hyu tells me dot hyu luffs me for my brains!
- When Mr. Wooster tries to reassure the woman who had unwittingly sought shelter from Agatha Heterodyne ... beginning by explaining to Agatha exactly who said woman is.
How ... how do you know all that? Wooster: What exactly does the term "master spy" mean
in this part of the world, anyway? Krosp: hmm...
"Sneaky gossip-monger"? Wooster: That explains so much.
- Wooster is also terrified when he finds out that Agatha likes Tarvek since he fears it means "Gilgamesh Wulfenbach is going to go on a rampage that will reduce everything Ardsley Wooster loves to a wet pile of used tea leaves!"
- Backstage at the "Cinderella" play...
: A problem? Phil Foglio
: We've got two princes! Who thought having two boyfriends
was a good idea?! (Cue Cheshire Cat Grin from Kaja, Agatha, and Zeetha)
- The last time an eldritch abomination came into the world. Robur Heterodyne thought they were angels coming to punish him for his sin (though he wasn't really sure which one). He had a crisis of faith and smashed the machine. Then he had pie. Crisis over.
Castle: In many ways, he was a refreshingly simple man.
- Also, last time, they had hats. Yes, in Girl Genius, even the time-traveling Eldritch Abominations make sure to pack a Nice Hat.
- Krosp's subterfuge.
Krosp: This is your own map, showing all the current obstacles-
Brother Ulm: HOW DID YOU GET THAT!?
- Gil has succesfully removed Vole from the timefield, which has caused him to age two centuries in as many minutes. He calls Dupree, apologizing for what he did to the Jager she liked...
- Even when gone, Agatha is able to mess with Gil's head.
- Martellus, minus coffee.
- When Martellus and the Corbettites join forces to combat an evil creature, Martellus is introduced to their general: their cook. Who proceeds to make Martellus look like a fool.
Abbot: According to Brother Vadaxxus, after twenty years of running the kitchen that feeds our brethren, planning a battle is easy.
- The Corbettites are getting desperate to defeat the monster. Agatha suggests using the secret, incredibly dangerous weapons they keep in their vaults. The monks protest, stating how they are merely to guard what is in those vaults...until they hear the kitchens have been destroyed.
- Zeetha and Agatha have a good discussion on the merits of training during an arduous trek to Castle Heterodyne:
: Hmf. Somebody's been neglecting her training
Agatha: ...I so don't care.
Next panel, with Agatha in an all-out sprint up the mountain and stars of pain emanating from her backside
Agatha: I CARE! I CARE!
- The inscription on Humongulus' chest: DOST THOU EVEN LYFT?
- Martellus tries to hit on Agatha. She hits back.
- Martellus' Oh, Crap face as he realizes who the bears answer to now. Krosp's smug reaction is just icing on the cake.
König: Say-is this human bothering you, Master?
Krosp: Oh, no. I'm quite enjoying this.
- This gem.
Bang: "Heya, Klaus! Ready to go slaughter a whole buncha people?"
Klaus: "Only if necessary."