"Zombie guards, seize him! Tell me that's not fun to say."
— Harvey Birdman; Attorney at Law
A uniquely aristocratic command, shouted by particularly melodramatic villains.
has stumbled across The Hero
in an alley. The Evil Prince
has discovered The Five-Man Band
infiltrated his Deadly Decadent Court
. The Evil Chancellor
has crashed the revolutionaries meeting.
The Good Guys are outnumbered. The Big Bad
is there with an army of Mooks
. They do the only logical thing. They run!
Alternatively, the Evil Chancellor
and his retinue just fell for the heroes' plan and the King tells in no uncertain terms that he heard their Engineered Public Confession
This phrase is usually preceded or followed by some of these other Stock Phrases
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Pokemon Ranger And The Temple Of The Sea. At the beginning Jack Walker (the title Pokemon Ranger) reveals himself aboard the Phantom's submarine and obtains the Manaphy egg that the Phantom just acquired. The Phantom tells his pirate minions to "Seize him."
- The villain's deputy Navishtrix says this in Astérix and the Golden Sickle when the heroes enter the traffickers' underground hideout.
- Animorphs: Visser Three says this all the time.
- In Guards! Guards!, the Palace guard is at one point to seize Vimes. Genre Savvy as they are, they question the wisdom of attacking a lone person, who might even start swinging on the chandelier.
- In another book Rincewind has had so many variations on this phrase that he muses (while running) that his nickname is "Don't let him get away!".
- In the Star Trek novel How Much for Just the Planet? the evil queen gets to shout "Seize her!" several times during the scene in which she disciplines a servant girl who tried to help the prisoners escape. The last time, it's "Seize her again. Oh, I do like saying that."
- In The Immortals book Wolf-Speaker, Rikash says (in an 'It Makes Sense in Context way') "Get that SQUIRREL!!"
- Children of Dune. When Leto knocks the door to Alia's room off its hinges and enters her presence along with his sister Ghanima, Alia shouts at her guards to "Seize them!" Leto picks up the 1,000 lb. door he just came through and throws it at the guards.
Live Action TV
- From the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series:
Hig Hurtenflirst: (to foot warrior) Well then just seize the prisoners.
Foot warrior falls over
Arthur and Lintilla: Yes?
Hurtenflirst: Seize each other.
- The Herculoids episode "The Mole Men".
- Futurama episode "A Clone of My Own". The Near-Death Star Robots, and...
Guard: Get them! I mean, seize them!
- Another version, subverted:
Bureaucrat 1.0: Guards! Bring me the forms I have to fill out to have her taken away!
- The Thief and the Cobbler has the line 'Sieze Him! Take Him! Sieze Him! Take Him!' spoken by Zig Zag the film's Large Ham and primary antagonist.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: "Friendship is Magic, part 2" starts with a scene that seems to be a Shout-Out to Disney's Sleeping Beauty example above. Compare the dialogues:
King Stefan: Seize that creature!
Stand back, you fools
! (scares the guards off, then disappears in green flames laughing)
Mayor Mare: Seize her! Only she knows where the princess is!
Stand back, you foals
! (scares the guards with lightnings, then goes away in a mist laughing)
- In Disney version of The Prince and the Pauper, Mickey, pretending to be the Prince, is being forced by Captain Pete to relinquish the crown to him. During the ceremony, Mickey uses this method to get Pete captured, but Pete turns it around on him.
Mickey: Guards, seize him!
Pete: No, seize him! He's an imposter!
- Super Friends 1973/74 episode "The Androids". When Batman figures out that the Superman in the Hall of Justice is actually an android double he yells "Grab him!" to the other Super Friends. Unfortunately the android had already left the room so they couldn't.
- Episode "Versus Cumulus, the Storm King". When Cumulus goes to make his blackmail demands on the U.S. government, a military officer says he doesn't believe that Cumulus has weather-control powers and orders "Seize him, guards!" Cumulus then freezes the guards inside a block of ice.
- Episode "The Empress of Evil". After Birdman escapes being Fed to the Beast and rescues the prince, Medusa tells her giant female Mookss to "Seize him!"