Dogs Of C-Kennel
was a newspaper comic strip created by Mick Mastroianni and drawn by the B.C.
artist Mason Mastroianni. The strip started in October 2007, and relaunched as a full fledged newspaper strip in October 2010.
The comic chronicled the adventures of a group of dogs that lived in a kennel known as C-Kennel. The dogs consisted of Will, a streetwise pit bull and the de facto leader of the group, Tucker, a technologically-inclined schnauzer who consults the use of electronic devices, such as his iPhone, his computer, etc., Kenny, a half-witted yet lovable husky, Iggy, a chronically nervous chihuahua, Cocoa, a beagle and Kenny's love interest, and Oliver the Great, a stiff-upper-lipped Great Dane who moved into the kennel.
Much of the strip's humor comes from the dogs' life at the kennel, such as reenacting prison movies such as Stalag 17
, Cool Hand Luke
and The Shawshank Redemption
, Will's attempts to escape from the kennel, etc.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Kenny's crush on Cocoa
- Animal Talk: All the animals can talk to each other but not to humans.
- Art Evolution: Characters were frequently redesigned in the early days, with strips dedicated to showing what's changed. The biggest change happening when Mason took over as the primary artist.
- Ash Face: Happens to Tucker in this◊ strip.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: This◊ strip.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Kenny
- Balloon Belly: Happens to Kenny in this◊ strip, after having apparently drank 8 glasses of water all at once.
- Bat out of Hell: A March 2008 arc had Will, Kenny, and Iggy trying to deal with a bat in their kennel.
- Bubble Boy: An arc of February 2008 strips had Iggy being put in a plastic bubble, thanks to Will, so that he wouldn't have to worry about being afflicted by germs. Hilarity Ensues.
- Butt Monkey: Iggy
- The Cameo:
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Commander Woofenstein, a Drill Sergeant Nasty dog appeared earlier in the strip, before disappearing somewhere in early-to-mid 2011.
- Cloudcuckoolander / The Ditz: Kenny in spades.
- Comically Missing the Point: Kenny is an expert at this trope.
- Compensating for Something: The phrase was used in this◊ strip.
- Deadpan Snarker: Will, also Wheeler and Cocoa.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Kenny, to Cocoa, as a literal example of the trope.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Kenny, though the other dogs are a slightly aversion.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The strip started as a webcomic done entirely by Mick with irregular updates and no sunday strips.
- Expy: Iggy appears to share some similar traits with those of Killer from All Dogs Go to Heaven.
- Extreme Omnivore: Kenny appears to show shades of this on some occasions.
- The Faceless: The faces of the humans that appear in the strip are never shown.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Several strips showed Will (sometimes accompanied by Kenny, Tucker and Iggy) trying to dig escape tunnels to escape the kennel, without any success.
- Five-Dog Band:
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Will is Choleric, Kenny is Sanguine, Iggy is Phlegmatic, and Tucker is Melancholic.
- Fowl-Mouthed Parrot: Shows up in this◊ strip, complete with some Symbol Swearing.
- Freudian Trio:
- Will: Superego
- Iggy: Ego
- Kenny: Id
- Frothy Mugs of Water: Averted, as the strip contains numerous references to beer, alcohol, and Red Bull.
- Gesundheit: Used in this◊ strip.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- Used quite literally in this◊ strip.
- This◊ strip also had Kenny get away with saying "Freakin'".
- Will also used the word "hell" in this◊ strip.
- This◊ strip also contained use of the phrase "Oh my god".
- The phrase "What the hell are you doing" was used in this◊ strip.
- "Holy lord!!"◊
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Spoofed in this◊ strip.
- Heh Heh, You Said X: This◊ strip.
- Human Snowman: Kenny became the poor victim of this trope.◊
- Hunger Hyperbole: Kenny did this with actual horse meat dog food.◊
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Cocoa quite literally uses these excuses whenever Kenny asks her out on a date, similar to Jon Arbuckle.
- I Take Offense to That Last One: This◊ strip had Wheeler reacting negatively to being called a seagull.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Not really used, but this◊ strip contained a reference to Jack Bauer.
- Kick Me Prank: This◊ strip had this happen to Tucker, with the sign reading "Neuter me".
- Literal-Minded: Kenny once again.
- Neat Freak: Iggy
- The Neidermeyer: Commander Woofenstein
- Nervous Wreck: Iggy is always nervous.
- Noodle Incident: Iggy once mentioned that Kenny once gave a potential adopter Amoebic Dysentery from petting him.◊
- Overly Long Gag: Implied in this◊ strip.
- The Perfectionist: Oliver the Great
- The Pig Pen / Hates Baths: Kenny again
- Punny Name: Commander Woofenstein.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Used often
- Running Into The Window: Implied to have happened to Wheeler.◊
- Sarcasm-Blind: Kenny and Iggy both, though in Kenny's case, it's because of his stupidity while Iggy's is more because of his hypochondria.
- Something That Begins with "Boring": This◊ strip.
- Spell My Name with an "S": In earlier strips, Will was originally called Willy, but as of 2010, the 'y' was taken out of his name, so now he just goes by Will.
- Sphere Eyes
- Spiders Are Scary: Several strips
- Symbol Swearing: Used in quite a few strips.
- Talking Animal
- Terrified of Germs: Iggy fits this trope to a T.
- Two Words: Obvious Trope: "Two words... Jet Lag."◊
- Unusual Euphemism: "Holy monkey!" which was used in this◊ strip, and this◊ one.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Will says this line word for word in this◊ strip.
- What Is This, X?: "WHAT IS THIS? THE !!#@*$!! WALTONS!?"◊