TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Comic Strip: Dogs Of C Kennel
Dogs Of C-Kennel
is a newspaper comic strip created by Mick Mastroianni and drawn by the B.C.
artist Mason Mastroianni. The strip started in October 2007, and relaunched as a full fledged newspaper strip in October 2010.
The comic chronicled the adventures of a group of dogs that lived in a kennel known as C-Kennel. The dogs consisted of Will, a streetwise pit bull and the de facto leader of the group, Tucker, a technologically-inclined schnauzer who consults the use of electronic devices, such as his iPhone, his computer, etc., Kenny, a half-witted yet lovable husky, Iggy, a chronically nervous chihuahua, Cocoa, a beagle and Kenny's love interest, and Oliver the Great, a stiff-upper-lipped Great Dane who moved into the kennel.
Much of the strip's humor comes from the dogs' life at the kennel, such as reenacting prison movies such as Stalag 17
, Cool Hand Luke
and The Shawshank Redemption
, Will's attempts to escape from the kennel, etc.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Kenny's crush on Cocoa
- Animal Talk: All the animals can talk to each other but not to humans.
- Art Evolution: Characters were frequently redesigned in the early days, with strips dedicated to showing what's changed. The biggest change happening when Mason took over as the primary artist.
- Ash Face: Happens to Tucker in this◊ strip.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: This◊ strip.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Kenny
- Balloon Belly: Happens to Kenny in this◊ strip, after having apparently drank 8 glasses of water all at once.
- Bat out of Hell: A March 2008 arc had Will, Kenny, and Iggy trying to deal with a bat in their kennel.
- Bubble Boy: An arc of February 2008 strips had Iggy being put in a plastic bubble, thanks to Will, so that he wouldn't have to worry about being afflicted by germs. Hilarity Ensues.
- Butt Monkey: Iggy
- The Cameo:
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Commander Woofenstein, a Drill Sergeant Nasty dog appeared earlier in the strip, before disappearing somewhere in early-to-mid 2011.
- Cloudcuckoolander / The Ditz: Kenny in spades.
- Comically Missing the Point: Kenny is an expert at this trope.
- Compensating for Something: The phrase was used in this◊ strip.
- Deadpan Snarker: Will, also Wheeler and Cocoa.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Kenny, to Cocoa, as a literal example of the trope.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Kenny, though the other dogs are a slightly aversion.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The strip started as a webcomic done entirely by Mick with irregular updates and no sunday strips.
- Expy: Iggy appears to share some similar traits with those of Killer from All Dogs Go to Heaven.
- Extreme Omnivore: Kenny appears to show shades of this on some occasions.
- The Faceless: The faces of the humans that appear in the strip are never shown.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Several strips showed Will (sometimes accompanied by Kenny, Tucker and Iggy) trying to dig escape tunnels to escape the kennel, without any success.
- Five-Dog Band:
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Will is Choleric, Kenny is Sanguine, Iggy is Phlegmatic, and Tucker is Melancholic.
- Fowl-Mouthed Parrot: Shows up in this◊ strip, complete with some Symbol Swearing.
- Freudian Trio:
- Will: Superego
- Iggy: Ego
- Kenny: Id
- Frothy Mugs of Water: Averted, as the strip contains numerous references to beer, alcohol, and Red Bull.
- Gesundheit: Used in this◊ strip.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- Used quite literally in this◊ strip.
- This◊ strip also had Kenny get away with saying "Freakin'".
- Will also used the word "hell" in this◊ strip.
- This◊ strip also contained use of the phrase "Oh my god".
- The phrase "What the hell are you doing" was used in this◊ strip.
- "Holy lord!!"◊
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Spoofed in this◊ strip.
- Heh Heh, You Said X: This◊ strip.
- Human Snowman: Kenny became the poor victim of this trope.◊
- Hunger Hyperbole: Kenny did this with actual horse meat dog food.◊
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Cocoa quite literally uses these excuses whenever Kenny asks her out on a date, similar to Jon Arbuckle.
- I Take Offense to That Last One: This◊ strip had Wheeler reacting negatively to being called a seagull.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Not really used, but this◊ strip contained a reference to Jack Bauer.
- Kick Me Prank: This◊ strip had this happen to Tucker, with the sign reading "Neuter me".
- Literal-Minded: Kenny once again.
- Neat Freak: Iggy
- The Neidermeyer: Commander Woofenstein
- Nervous Wreck: Iggy is always nervous.
- Noodle Incident: Iggy once mentioned that Kenny once gave a potential adopter Amoebic Dysentery from petting him.◊
- Overly Long Gag: Implied in this◊ strip.
- The Perfectionist: Oliver the Great
- The Pig Pen / Hates Baths: Kenny again
- Punny Name: Commander Woofenstein.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Used often
- Running Into The Window: Implied to have happened to Wheeler.◊
- Sarcasm-Blind: Kenny and Iggy both, though in Kenny's case, it's because of his stupidity while Iggy's is more because of his hypochondria.
- Something That Begins with "Boring": This◊ strip.
- Spell My Name with an "S": In earlier strips, Will was originally called Willy, but as of 2010, the 'y' was taken out of his name, so now he just goes by Will.
- Sphere Eyes
- Spiders Are Scary: Several strips
- Symbol Swearing: Used in quite a few strips.
- Talking Animal
- Terrified of Germs: Iggy fits this trope to a T.
- Two Words: Obvious Trope: "Two words... Jet Lag."◊
- Unusual Euphemism: "Holy monkey!" which was used in this◊ strip, and this◊ one.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Will says this line word for word in this◊ strip.
- What Is This, X?: "WHAT IS THIS? THE !!#@*$!! WALTONS!?"◊