Series: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
A whole family, in a garage, grinding a deer that was hit by a car into sausage. The little girl played with its head. I dare you to find anything that's more genuine than that anywhere in the world.Here Comes Honey Boo Boo was a Reality Show program which featured pageant participant Alana Thompson (Honey Boo Boo), along with her mother Mama June Shannon, father Mike Thompson (Sugar Bear) and her three older sisters. The show was mostly filmed in and around the family's hometown in rural McIntyre, Georgia. It was a spinoff of Toddlers & Tiaras. It ran on The Learning Channel from 2012 to 2014, making the title character literally the Poster Child for Network Decay.On October 23, 2014, TMZ posted an expose of June Shannon dating a man who was convicted of child molestation a decade before, generating a PR disaster that led to the show being canceled the following day. That same day, the victim of the molestation who blew the whistle on June came forward and turned out to be June's own daughter, Anna, creating a huge uproar against June and the series in general.
- Big Beautiful Woman: An idea June instills in Alana. She encourages her to love herself no matter how much she weighs, and that she's beautiful either way.
- Big Fun: How Shannon and Alana see themselves.
- Camp Gay: Uncle Poodle.
- Cheerful Child: Alana's usually upbeat about everything.
- Deep South
- Everything's Messier With Pigs: Glitzy
- Fat Slob: June. However, she does get the job done and does what she can to take care of her family. Heck, she organizes her proud, earned-through-coupons stockpile! Not to mention she lost 100 pounds during the show!
- Face Palm: Mike a few times.
- A Fool and His New Money Are Soon Parted: Defied. You'd think a family that suddenly became rich due to the reality show they're on would spend that money like there's no tomorrow. Surprisingly, June (the mother) splits the $20K paycheck per-episode among her four daughters, the money of which is place in a trust fund that none of the daughters can touch until they're 21 years old, unless it's to pay for school.
- Good Parents: Redneck stereotypes aside, Alana's parents seem to do the most important things right.
- Manipulative Editing: Or lack of. Most reality shows edit the narration, interviews and conversations to polish them into conventional sounding dialog. On this show all of the pauses, sneezes, coughs, stutters and other bits of realistic diction are left in (the "ums" are even subtitled), which makes the family look stupider than they really are.
- No Sympathy: Alana's sisters show no sympathy for Alana after she's forced to give up her pet, Glizty. In fact, they casually state that they're glad the pig is gone.
- Only Sane Man: Sugar Bear. Also see Face Palm above.
- Out of Focus: Chickadee, when she was put under bed rest because she almost went into early labor.
- Point-and-Laugh Show
- Spoiled Sweet: Though Alana may get sassy at times, but that's to be expected from someone her age.
- Supporting Protagonist: The series is more about Alana's mom than her.
- Teen Pregnancy: resulting in a three-thumbed baby.
- Toilet Humor
- Trademark Favorite Food: Spaghetti with mixed ketchup and butter sauce ("Sketti", yum!).
- Wicked Stepfather: Averted - even though he's only the biological father of Alana, he cares for all the girls as his own daughters. In return, the other girls love him very much.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Glitzy. Became Alana's pet in episode 2, only to be given up in episode 5.