You Need a Breath Mint
"Oh wow, that was REALLY scary. And if you don't mind me sayin', if that don't work, your breath will certainly get the job done, 'cause you definitely need some Tic Tacs or somethin', 'cause your breath STINKS!"Stock Phrase used when someone comments on another one's bad breath. See also Anticipatory Breath Spray.
— Donkey, Shrek
- Cited in a commercial for CreditStinks.com. "If someone told you you had bad breath, you'd brush your teeth."
- Tai in the Digimon Adventure movie makes a remark about Koromon's breath after he kisses him.
- David and Veemon in Digimon Adventure 02 both say Tortomon has bad breath after he pants near them from exhaustion.
Arukenimon: Anyone ever tell you you have bad breath?!
- Later, with Arukenimon and Mummymon after he attempts to kiss her only to be swatted in the face by her:
Mummymon: Why, that's impossible. I believe I brushed my teeth at least a year ago.
- Takato from Digimon Tamers mutters in his sleep "bad breath" after sleeping directly next to Guilmon's head and mouth.
- Parodied in Le Petit Spirou, where the chronic general failure that is the P.E. teacher freshens his breath with a deodorant spray and his armpits with Tic Tac mints.
- In Uncanny X-Men #423, Jubilee's response to being told by Wolverine that she was just revived after being crucified, is "You ever hear the words Mouth Wash?" In his review, Linkara responds with "You ever hear you just came back from the dead and no one is the slightest bit overjoyed or asking about the theological implications of all this?"
- Subverted in Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas, when Santa yawns in Louie's face, causing him to recoil. He suddenly says that his breath smells like peppermint and mocha.
- Timon tells Simba in The Lion King 1½ to aim his foul morning breath in a different direction after he yawns in his face.
- When Crash and Eddie from Ice Age 2: The Meltdown try to save an unconscious Sid from drowning, one of them grabs him by the mouth and opens it, causing one of them to say, "You really need to brush."
- Nonverbal, but Darwin in Rugrats Go Wild! clearly can't stand Spike's breath when he's yelling at him, and repeatedly waves a hand in front of his face and tries to get away from him.
- Shrek, after Shrek roars at Donkey to try and scare him, Donkey says the page quote above.
- In Hoodwinked, while the Wolf is in his Paper-Thin Disguise:
The Wolf: [leaning in towards Red] You came here for a reason, didn't you? So tell ole Granny what you've got in the basket.Red Puckett: Oh, Granny! What bad breath you have!
- Master Shifu in Kung Fu Panda tells Po not to stand so close to him so he won't smell his breath.
- The wolf in The Rugrats Movie is stalking Angelica and Spike. Angelica, oblivious to the wolf, smells its breath and thinks it's from Spike. Spike notices the vicious wolf, and quickly manages to drag the unsuspecting Angelica out of the wolf's clutches.
- The Princess and the Frog has this exchange:
Louis: You okay, li'l bug?Ray: I'm fine. Just your breath done near killed me to death.
- Happens subtly in Roadside Romeo, when Romeo gets a whiff of Chhainu's breath and waves a paw in front of his nose.
- In Treasure Planet, we get Jim doing this while Mr. Scroop is trying to scare him into minding his own business.
Jim: Too bad my nose is working just fine.
- In Toy Story 2, while trying to sneak past a sleeping Al, Woody ends up standing in front of his face right as he burps, making Woody gag.
- Though it's only an informed attribute, during "Fixer Upper" in Frozen the trolls mention how Kristoff always ends up sort of smelly no matter how well he washes (word of Jennifer Lee is that he reeks of his reindeer Sven) as they ask Anna what's turning her off from dating him.
- In Code Name The Cleaner, Jake tells the Big Bad that his breath "smells like ass" after he angrily demands information from him.
- Holly from Die Hard 2 advises Dick Thornburg to use stronger mouthwash after he gets too close to her a few times.
- Steven from Primeval offers Jojo Tic-Tacs as a friendly gesture. He later tells Tim that he did it only because his breath was bad.
- In Marmaduke (and in the novel), the titular dog exhales in Mazie's face, causing her to back away and tell him that he has garbage breath.
- In Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties, the titular cat runs into Prince towards the end of the movie and thinks he's merely looking at a reflection of himself, leading to a Mirror Routine. He finds out that his "reflection" is actually a different cat when he exhales in Prince's face, which causes him to faint.
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Subverted with the Kraken. A few people mentioned that the monster had horrible breath, but after it roars in Captain Jack Sparrow's face, he simply shudders and mutters, "Not so bad."
- Then again, Jack himself has really bad breath. In the same movie, Elizabeth reacts to it. In the third movie, Jack manages to weaponize it, exhaling directly into Will's face with breath so bad that it makes Will pass out.
- Godzilla from Godzilla (1998), after he roars in Nick's face.
- Lucky from the first Dr. Dolittle film, after he barks next to Rodney.
Rodney: "You know, a Tic-Tac wouldn't kill ya."
- In Theodore Rex, Katie remarks about Theodore's bad breath several times. At one point she even squirted breath spray in his mouth.
- After one of the demons in Scooby Doo Monsters Unleashed roars in Velma's face, she responds by saying it has a great mask, but bad breath.
- In The Enforcer, Harry Callahan tells Lieutenant Briggs, after Briggs gives Harry a too close dressing down, "Your mouthwash ain't cutting it".
- The Big Bad in Good Burger threatens Ed while standing too close to his face. Ed calmly tells him afterwards that he needs a Tic-Tac.
- Eddie Murphy's character does this to a biker in The Golden Child:
Chandler Jarrell: Hey, hey, hey...In my pocket, there's a whole thing of Tic-Tacs. Take as many as you want.
- Draco from Dragonheart, when Bowen says that his breath is foul after sitting in his mouth for several hours.
- The wyvern from the Sy Fy Channel Original Movie Wyvern. One of the characters makes a comment about a horrible smell in the air after it roars for a rather long time inside the bar she and other characters are hiding in.
- Pacific Rim: One blooper had Newt commenting on Hermann's bad breath.
- Weaponized bad breath also occurs in Blazing Saddles, with Gabby Johnson during the big brawl in Rock Ridge.
- Emile in La Cite De La Peur
Take a piece of gum, Emile.
- Foremole in Mariel of Redwall jokingly tells Burgo that his garlic breath is so strong that he could slay enemies with it.
- Lask Frildur (and his Monitor lizards) from Pearls of Lutra. Nonverbal though since anyone who actually smelled Lask's breath simply scowled and turned their head away.
- Eefera from Taggerung after he eats wild ramsons. Vallug Bowbeast jokes that his breath is so bad that he could climb into Redwall and knock out the guards just by breathing on them.
- Diggs from The Sable Quean, after he eats wild ramsons. Ambrevina was so grossed out by his breath that she told him to wash out his mouth or else she'd leave him behind and travel alone.
- Tavi to Ambassador Varg in Codex Alera. Made more badass by their relative size difference, the fact that Tavi had assumed a command that he didn't have, Tavi's total lack of magical protection, and so he put a knife to Varg's throat and then insulted him. Retrospectively, Varg knew from that encounter that Tavi was a Gaius.
- During a protest on Community:
Abed: Conflicts like this will ultimately bring us together as an unlikely family.Troy: You have horrible breath right now.
- In Flashpoint, during a practice takedown, the "suspect" jokes that Sam's breath needs to be classified as less-lethal (they're old army buddies).
- In one episode of NCIS a suspect's repeat offender breath makes Ziva request mints.
- In the House episode "House Divided", Cuddy is trying to sober up House's team.
Cuddy: "Wait! Everyone's getting breath mints!"
- In an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Salem is looking up a bunch of his old girlfriends, but each one turns out to have some flaw or bad habit that made him break up with them. At one point, he can't remember why he dumped "Hallie", but on meeting her realizes it was short for Halitosis.
- In Breaking Bad, Hank and his partner bicker over the name of an upcoming drug bust. Hank wants to call it "Operation Icebreaker", which his partner points out is the name of a brand of breath mints. Hank says "I'm thinking 'Operation Breath Mint' every time you and me are on a stake out together, all right? Breath could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Master: Did you really think you could best me here when you couldn't below?
- In "Prophecy Girl".
Buffy: You have fruit-punch mouth.
- In "As You Were" Buffy is on the way home from her shift at a Greasy Spoon when a vampire tries to eat her, only to back off because she smells terrible. Buffy naturally takes offense. "You're dead! You smell like it! How do you get to say I'm the one who's stinky?"
- Forever Knight. Nick enters vampire/goth hangout The Raven. A vampire on the dance floor shows the Vampire Detective his fangs.
Nick: Immortality's no excuse not to floss.
- Victorious: 'Take A Hint' Song
- In the music video for Men In Black, a rather ugly alien roars right in K's face. No words are said, but the hand waving gesture K/Will Smith makes illustrates the intent of the phrase.
- Done by country music parodist Cledus T. Judd in "Breath", a takeoff of Faith Hill's "Breathe":
'Cause I can smell your breath
It's gagging me to death
Something must have died inside of you
What you ought to do
Is chase a Cert or two
- Nine Chickweed Lane
Seth's Boyfriend: I'd be more inclined to dish the dirt if you'd stop lunching on garlic pizza.
- A Garfield strip shows Garfield wondering how to tell Jon that he has bad breath. He approaches him carrying a breath mint that's bigger then he is and offers it to him. Other strips have jokes either on Odie's breath, or Garfield distressing his house mates after eating something particularly vile.
- Jim Cornette once compared Jillian Hall's breath to "kiwi boot polish".
- Shawn Michaels made this joke about Gene Snitsky, though it was more so "you need to brush your teeth".
- "And Jesus, you need a Tic-Tac."
- Jeff Dunham
Peanut: (to Jeff) Dude, you need a Tic-Tac. Don't you know what you breath smells like?Jeff: What?Peanut: Dun-ham!! Dot com!
- In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Petuni makes a remark saying that Bowser is a scary "Giant Bad Breath Monster." There's also the putrid piranhas, who appear throughout the series. Their breath is so foul that it's used as an attack that can poison Mario. Goombella responds with "Breath Mint, table four!"
- A couple of the characters in the Jak and Daxter series, most of which involve Daxter telling said person about their breath.
- In Ratchet: Deadlocked, Gleeman Vox laughs airily in Ratchet's face, prompting him to wave a hand in front of his nose.
- In Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, Bently insults Muggshot by saying he gargled with raw sewage overnight. Muggshot doesn't even try to deny it, stating that the smell of his breath helps him maintain his "personal space."
- Pox from Destroy All Humans! mentions that the Blisk aliens have "withering halitosis." The first game also has Armquist. If Crypto reads a soldier's thoughts during the Capitol City level, sometimes this will pop up:
Soldier: "Man, Armquist's breath really stinks! But he's so dreamy..."
- Nonverbal it may be, but Amaterasu is clearly thinking this when she gets a faceful of Mr. Orange's sake breath in Ōkami.
- In The Secret Of Monkey Island, Guybrush can't even talk to the prisoner in the town jail until he find some breath mints, the poor guy's halitosis is so bad (it apparently stems from not being fed regularly and being forced to feed on rats).
- In Tales of Monkey Island, when Le Chuck asks Guybrush for hints on solving a puzzle, the latter has the option of saying to eat breath mints. Le Chuck appears not to realize the point.
- In MOTHER 3, when Kumatora first meets Duster, she suddenly approaches his face. After a few moments she backs away and comments "his breath kinda stinks".
- Primordial Serpent Kingseeker Frampt of Dark Souls apparently has terrible breath according to the Crestfallen Warrior. And he transports you in his mouth… Justified in his case, since you have the option of offering him Dung Piles in exchange for an amazing 200 souls. One can only imagine how many travelers have given him piles of shit to eat for such a great bargain...
- Knights of the Old Republic:
- Mission comments her best-buddy Zaalbar has dog breath.
"The Vulkar was so scared, he fainted. Either that, or Big Z's breath just knocked him out. I keep telling Zaalbar to brush those choppers of his, but he never listens. Just stay upwind when he's talking and you'll be fine."
- Also applies to the PC -if you believe Jolee Bindo, anyway:
Jolee: "You remind me of someone I used to know. Great destiny, all of that. Breath like a Bantha."PC: "Is that a comment on my breath?"Jolee: "No, but it could be. An Anduvian salt tablet would clear that right up, you know."
- Mission comments her best-buddy Zaalbar has dog breath.
- Hawkgirl uses this to taunt Lex Luthor in Injustice: Gods Among Us when he starts a Clash:
Lex Luthor: I could use that belt!note
Hawkgirl: Or a breath mint.
- In one Loserz strip, Ben remarks that Jodie's breath smells like penis and offers her a mint.
- The Basic Instructions page How to deal with somebody who has bad breath suggests offering a mint for hinting someone about the problem.
- One of Thomas Sanders' Family Guy Vines has him showering "Herbert"note with LifeSavers mints after getting a blast of his breath.
- Jonny from Ed, Edd n Eddy, after he's force-fed anchovies, belches loudly in Ed's face. He waves a hand in front of his nose before saying, "Low tide!"
- Wildmutt from Ben 10, after he lands in front of Gwen in the pilot episode.
Gwen: "Ew! Two words: breath mints!"
- Mr. Herriman in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends gets a whiff of Bloo's morning breath, which smells so foul he demands Bloo brush his teeth as soon as possible.
- Set from Tutenstein, after disgusting Tut by yawning in his face.
- The Beast Wars episode "The Low Road" had this exchange between Dinobot and Rattrap:
Dinobot: "Wait! I detect a scent! Vile corruption...a whiff of festering putification!"Rattrap: "So I ate a limburger sandwich for lunch! I'm a rat, gimme a break!"Dinobot: "I've been...uncomfortably aware of your stench for the past hour, vermin."
Dinobot: "Unlike you, I do not spend my time scurrying through sewers!"Rattrap: "Yeah? Well, a sewer smells better than your breath, bronto-brain!"
- And then later, from the same episode:
- On a Looney Tunes short, Yosemite Sam gets too close to Bugs Bunny as he talks, and Bugs responds with "You've been eating onions."
- In the Danny Phantom episode "Parental Bonding", Sam (after she transformed into the Ghost Dragon) breaths her fiery breath at Danny. Although he dodges the attack, he still catches wind of her breath.
Danny: "Whoa, Sam! Two words: breath mints."
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- In the episode "A Dog and Pony Show", Rarity questions a foul odor in the air after the Diamond Dogs' leader, Rover, yells at her. She quickly figures out the answer, as per the page quote.
- And this moment from "May The Best Pet Win!":
Applejack: Does [Rainbow Dash] really understand what a pet really needs?
Twilight: Yeah, like care and attention, love and affection...
[Winona licks her face]
Twilight: UGH! And breath mints!
- One distinctive feature of the Timber Wolves is their rancid breath.
- In "Bridle Gossip", when the entire town seems to be deserted, Spike asks if his breath smells, with the obvious implication. Twilight's reply is a casual "no worse than usual".
- Howie from Almost Naked Animals, after he and Octo are roped together in "Cowboy Cabana".
Howie: "One of us could really use a breath mint."(Howie sniffs twice)Howie: "Yeeeeah, that's me."
- In the Looney Tunes short "Pigs in a Polka," The Big Bad Wolf blows on the third pig's door three times in an effort to blow his brick house down. One of the pigs offers the wolf a bottle of mouthwash, which he promptly slaps away.
Big Bad Wolf: “Why don’t some of my best friends tell me these things?”
- The same thing happens in "“A Gander at Mother Goose,” except that the wolf responds with the tag line from an old Listerine commercial:
- In the Kung Fu Panda Legends Of Awesomeness episode "Mama Told Me Not to Kung Fu", Po and Heilang get into a fight at close range and the former starts to slowly shove the latter backwards. Then this happens:
Heilang: "You must be the Dragon Warrior."Po: "And you must be...not a fan of brushing your teeth. Ugh, seriously, what's the point in being invisible if I can find you by smell?
- The episode "Dragon Breath" in American Dragon Jake Long revolves around...well, guess.
- "The Incredible Shrinking Dinosaurs" episode from Extreme Dinosaurs has Bullzeye saying this to Haxx after he's released from his mouth:
Bullzeye: "UGH! What do you use for mouthwash: rotten eggs?"
- Jacala from the 2010 version of The Jungle Book. In "The Tooth Of The Matter", Mowgli asks Jacala to open his mouth so he can remove a sore tooth. Cue Mowgli groaning and plugging his nose after getting blasted in the face with the crocodile's breath.
- Mr. Whiskers in Brandy & Mr. Whiskers. Not only have characters commented about his breath, but he managed to kill a flower with it. Whiskers lampshades this with Ed in the same episode after realizing many animals are avoiding them. When Ed exhales in Whisker's face, his fur falls out.
- In the Dinosaur Train episode "T. Rex Teeth", Tiny whispers to Buddy that Dolores' breath smells awful. Buddy thinks it's because she ate carrion, and after he eats some and exhales in Tiny's face, she confesses that his breath smells too.
- The Static Shock episode "Static Shaq" has Shaq saying this to Ferret when he tried to bite him:
Shaq: "I've got one word for you: mouthwash!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Mr. Krabs: (yelling in random guy's face) Hooks! Hooks!Random Guy: (takes out mint) How about a mint?
- The episode "Something Smells" centers around Spongebob having rancid breath. However everyone around him runs away (or dies in some cases) as opposed to telling him he needs a breath mint. Spongebob does tell Patrick though, when he also gets bad breath near the end.
- Triton gets disgusted over Spongebob's breath as the latter talks to the former.
- Nina from Camp Lazlo offers Chip and Skip after-dinner mints after smelling their breath on her date with them.
- The Amazing World of Gumball.
- Tina. Penny, jealous that Gumball didn't choose her for a date to Rachel's party, tells Gumball that she didn't realize he likes "lizard breath." Cue Tina sniffing her breath and then looking embarrassed.
- Earlier, in the episode "The Ghost", Gumball drinks a disgusting blend of slop so he'll have nasty breath and gross out Carrie. He grosses out everyone but her, because it smelled like death.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender does this during the "Ember Island Players" episode:
Actor!Sokka: You're the only girl who's ever managed to take my mind off food. Did you have pickled fish for dinner?Actor!Yue: I must go, Sokka. I have important moon duties to attend to. And yes. I did have pickled fish for dinner.
- Turbo Dogs
- The episode "Turbo Toothache" has GT eating part of an onion in an attempt to soothe his sore tooth. After that doesn't work, Strut comes along and asks him to open his mouth so he can see what's wrong. You can see where this is going.
- Earlier in "Stink Positive", Stinkbert blows up a balloon and gives it to Dash, advising him not to let it pop. Dash quickly plugs his nose and groans, saying he "wouldn't dream of it."
- A Halloween Episode of My Gym Partners A Monkey has Jake commenting on an old custodian's bad breath.
- Arthur, in a conversation between Binky and George about creating a new language:
Binky: "Guess what this means." *belches in George's face*George: "Ugh! 'I want a breath mint'?"
- Tuff Puppy:
Kitty: My claws are registered as deadly weapons!Dudley: Maybe you should register your breath!
- The Flash when he and the Justice League face the fire-breathing Hades:
Flash Whoo, someone get this guy a breath mint!
- In one episode of Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?, after one Yogman brother gets too close to the other, he tells him to eat a breath mint.
- During an attack on an underwater villain base on Teen Titans, Beast Boy at one point transports the team by turning into a whale and having them hop in his mouth. After he spits them back out, Raven does the "Two words: breath mints" bit.
- Happens in The Fairly OddParents, after Timmy coughed out his fairies in their goldfish form after accidentally swallowing them while snorkeling.
Cosmo: Have you smelled the inside of your mouth? Two words: Mouthwash.Wanda: That's one word.Cosmo: Then I'll say it twice: Mouthwash! Mouthwash!
Timmy: *sniffs Vicky's breath after she roars* Halitosis.
- In "The Fairy Flu", Cosmo and Wanda contract the titular disease, which causes things to randomly transform when they sneeze. Long story short, they get cured just as Vicky (who has been turned into a fire-breathing dragon) is about to blow fire in Timmy's face, and they transform her back just in time, so all that Vicky does once she's human again is roar in Timmy's face. Timmy has an opinion about that: