A 2010 film in which a suburban family moves to a new neighborhood with their "large yet lovable" one-dog wrecking crew Great Dane.
Marmaduke provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Marmaduke shouldn't lie and he should've got with Maisy because First Girl Wins, not Richest Girl.
- Also at the end, Phil realizes that being "Top Dog" doesn't mean getting others (ESPECIALLY Marmaduke) to listen to him all the time. It means looking out for his family.
- Beta Couple: Marmaduke's human sister and her crush to Marmaduke and his crush.
- Betty and Veronica: The tomboy collie (Maisy) or the posh dog who serves as alpha female (Jezebel)? It's not clear whether Marmaduke gets with Maisy in the end or decides to be Just Friends with both of them, but Jezebel's gonna be pretty put out when Marmaduke tells her "I'm choosing the other one because I met her first, so we can force in An Aesop".
- Big Bad: Subverted. "Chupadogra" was said to have killed his owner, striking fear into the local dogs. But later, it turns out that "Chupadogra" was in fact an old mastiff named Buster who ran away from home and led a pack only to be kicked out by his own pack. He then persuades Marmaduke to return to his family and soon is finally accepted by the other dogs in the end.
- The Bully: Bosco.
- Cats Are Snarky: Carlos.
- Chekhov's Gun: Marmaduke's fear of bees. Let's just say that Bosco shares the same problem at the end of the film.
- Conspicuous CG
- Dance Party Ending
- Exiled to the Couch: Marmaduke's owner Phil gets angry at Marmaduke for trashing the place and throws him outside in the rain, blaming him for all of his misfortunes. His wife, however, is displeased with this and says that Marmaduke was just a dog and doesn't know any better. In the end, she says "You want him in the backyard? Fine. He may have the backyard...but you have the couch."
- Gasshole: Marmaduke.
- High School A.U.: Not popular with anyone, to put it mildly.
- Hollywood California: The movie takes place mostly in "Orange County".
- Live-Action Adaptation
- Must Make Amends: After messing up big time, Marmaduke runs away...but not before arranging for Phil to listen to what his kids want and trying to make up with Maisy.
- The Nicknamer: Bosco. His nicknames are mostly directed at Marmaduke, calling him names like "Marmapuke" or "Marmafake". There's also "Big-Ears" to count.
- Shamed by a Mob: Marmaduke after Bosco reveals that he was a fake.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: A little Jack Russel terrier chirps like a gopher to show he can, and Bosco neighs like a horse to mock Marmaduke's size.
- Suddenly Voiced: Marmaduke
- Toilet Humour: A common canine watering hole
- Tomboy: Maisy
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: After Bosco attacks Marmaduke after the latter wins in the surfing contest and chases him, Marmaduke decides to stand his ground and growls at him. Bosco, however, pretends to be hurt, causing Marmaduke and Phil to be scolded.
- You Need a Breath Mint: Maisy tells Marmaduke this after he accidentally breathes in her face, saying that it smelled like garbage. So he eats some minty toothpaste...with the help of Carlos.