Film: The Enforcer
The third film of the Dirty Harry series. Preceded by Magnum Force and followed by Sudden Impact. Callahan and his new female partner go after a terrorist group that has kidnapped the mayor.
- Asshole Victim: The mayor's assistant is so much a sycophantic toady - a consummate yes man - that he might as well have a permanent snout on his face for all the sucking up and asskissing he does. If anything, he's so annoying that the terrorists improve the movie by murdering him.
- BFG: The LAW rockets.
- Blonde Guys Are Evil: Bobby Maxwell.
- Call Back: To De Georgio's "Too much linguini" in the first movie.
- Calling Your Bathroom Breaks: Kate does this drunkenly during a deleted scene.
- Catch Phrase:
- Kate's is "Don't concern yourself, Inspector" whenever she thinks Harry is trying to patronize her. Her dying words are, "Don't concern yourself...Harry."
- Harry sardonically says "Marvelous" whenever he's irritated in the movie (which is a lot).
- The Cavalry Arrives Late: After Harry and Kate kill all the terrorists and save the mayor, a single helicopter arrives with Captain McKay on a loudspeaker announcing that they would be giving in to all their demands.
- Crashing Through the Harem: When chasing the police station bomber Henry Lee Caldwell, Harry crashes through a skylight onto a bed where some people are filming an amateur porn movie.
- Double Don't Know: One of the terrorists wants to know something:Bobby: Did Wanda deliver the [Ransom Note] tape to the cops?Lalo: I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. I wasn't with her.
- Guns Akimbo: The terrorists rob the Hamilton Firearms Warehouse to take everything they can load in a stolen utility truck, which includes automatic rifles, explosives and LAWS rockets.
- Missing Backblast: Averted. During the demonstration for the LAW rockets, Kate gets behind the shooter to get a better view. Harry pulls her away in the nick of time before the backblast can scorch her. Probably because Harry claims to already be familiar with the M72 LAWS.
- Mood Whiplash: It's kind of jarring to immediately go from the Tear Jerker of Kate's death to Captain McKay flying in by helicopter, frantically announcing to Bobby Maxwell that he has his money just after Harry has blown Maxwell up with a LAW.
- Nausea Dissonance / Vomiting Cop: It happens again in The Enforcer at an autopsy when the surgeon removes the subject's brain. Harry is unaffected but his partner Kate is clearly looking queasy. A joke by the surgeon sends her over the edge:Autopsy Surgeon: Oh, Jesus H. Christ, Harry, come here and look at this! It's the damnedest thing I ever saw.Harry Callahan: What's that?Autopsy Surgeon: What it says: "Eat at Luigi's!"
- Noble Bigot with a Badge In his initial meeting with his female partner.
- Precision F-Strike: Just before vaporizing Bobby with a laws rocket, under his breath, Harry calls him a "fucking fruit."
- Reassigned to Antarctica: Harry gets reassigned to Personnel after ram-raiding a liquor-store robbery turned hostage situation.Harry: Personnel? But that's for assholes!Harry: Yeah...
- Shout-Out: Series composer Lalo Schifrin may be absent from one Callahan entry, but his name certainly isn't. Though it did go to one of Bobby Maxwell's men.
- Turn in Your Badge:
- Harry embarrasses Captain McKay in front of the Mayor by pointing out that he arrested the wrong people including one who was going to help him find the terrorists, and that McKay wants to give him and Inspector Moore credit and a commendation for the arrest when they weren't even there. The Captain tells him he's suspended for 60 days. Harry angrily says to make it 90, the captain turns it Up to Eleven by suspending him for 180 days, thenMcKay: Give me your star!Harry: [disgusted, hands McCay his badge] Here's a seven-point suppository, Captain.McKay: [angered] What did you say?Harry: I said stick it up your ass!
- Then, at the end, after Detective Moore was killed and all the terrorists are dead, and he's been saved, the mayor tells Harry he's getting a commendation, basically for going off the reservation as a Cowboy Cop while on suspension for six months.
- Harry embarrasses Captain McKay in front of the Mayor by pointing out that he arrested the wrong people including one who was going to help him find the terrorists, and that McKay wants to give him and Inspector Moore credit and a commendation for the arrest when they weren't even there. The Captain tells him he's suspended for 60 days. Harry angrily says to make it 90, the captain turns it Up to Eleven by suspending him for 180 days, then
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Averted, or at least downplayed; Harry and Inspector Moore show no sexual or romantic attraction to each other, merely mutual respect. Interestingly, the original script called for a romance, but Eastwood and Tyne Daly both agreed it would distract from the story.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: When the girlfriend of one of the terrorists is gravely wounded by a police officer during a robbery, he asks Bobby to help him carry her back to the van. Bobby tells him she's dead and taking her with them would slow them down. Her boyrfiend says she isn't dead. Bobby reiterates his opinion she's dead by emptying his revolver into her.